What's the problem? What's the solution?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
thnkfl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

What's the problem? What's the solution?

Post by thnkfl » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:42 am

I write this out of a deep concern for our collective future. We have come to crisis. Anxiety and depression run deep among us. People yearn for progress on many fronts yet see little to nothing being done. And a third of Americans have either lost their minds or are making a lot of money. Frankly, it's scary.

We are quickly advancing on ecological collapse. This is not hyperbole. We need to change many things in short order. The bad news is that we have an enormous task to face; the good news is that there is enormous room for improvement, and enormous economic advantage for doing so.

Everyone sees problems differently, so what all do we need to change? What are the choices and options available to us? I believe the answer is to ask. Folks are anxious about what is around the bend, and are eager to help. So let us have a vehicle by which to speak and by which to listen.

The "big idea" is to create a web site to solicit input -- a public brainstorming facility that is indexed and searchable. A site that simply asks, "What is the problem, and what is (any aspect of) a solution?"

Letʼs get everything out on the table: big things, small things, everything we can think of that can make a difference. Letʼs put our hearts into it. Letʼs step up to the challenge to find solutions to problems of all kinds and integrate them into comprehensive policy. Let us once again demonstrate our ingenuity. Does anyone think we canʼt?

[pauses to adjust his "Pollyanna" bonnet]

I propose a truncated version of such a site here on eplaya as an experiment, to see what happens.

Sure, to be fully useful, responses would need be sorted and analyzed for their various impacts and full energy costs, especially those costs that are usually externalized. Things should be examined for how problems inter-relate, realizing that some problems instigate others in a cascading effect. Wild, odd-ball, and off-the-wall ideas/suggestions could be explored by brainstorming groups to suss out what may not be immediately evident. Analysis seems the easy part; we first need data to analyze.

Still, I think such an approach would sharpen our focus, wake up our legislators (Haha, that was funny) and "kick-start" America finally into serious action.

I offer a few examples, however flawed they may turn out to be.

---

Example Problem/Observation/Question:
Extreme gerrymandering is possible because computers can sort on a house-to-house basis.

Example Solution/Suggestion/Answer:
Make voters' physical addresses confidential information and disallow its public release.

[Comment: Information may still be gotten through other sources, but why make it easier?

---

P: People sit in their parked vehicles with the engine running so they may use their car's wi-fi.

S: Inform people they can turn the ignition key from "run" to "accessory" to access wi-fi.

---

P: Our automobiles burn a lot of gas. We need automobiles to "get around". We need to "get around" because everything is "spread out". We "spread out" because automobiles make it the easiest way to do things. Can we change our modus operandi so as to not require automobiles in the first place?

S: Review and revise where necessary those portions of our building and zoning codes that oblige us to "spread out" to accommodate autos.

---

P: Too much money in politics, yet candidates need funds in order to get themselves and their ideas in front of voters.

S: Since airways are regulated, add the requirement that licenses include the obligation to provide a regular, free forum for any candidate for office.

---

Anyone else?
Make it, enjoy it, let it go.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Re: What's the problem? What's the solution?

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:25 pm

The solution is to abolish money, international boundaries and irrational religion; respect the planet.

That’s not going to happen because the broad masses of the public, especially in America, are too stupid, brainwashed?!

If I could I’d go to New Zealand or Australia where COVID-19 (I’m afraid a variant might not work with the vaccine) is pretty much under control. I’m stockpiling corn, soybeans, vitamin C and salt; growing peppers, squash, tomatoes.

If we could produce a screenplay of a Messiah telling all the truth about Kennedy assassinations, 9/11, USS Liberty, etc. and obtain an all star cast of scientists, famous people, etc. to explain the planetary situation and act as disciples; we might be able to convince the masses to repent and save the world.
060DD0A7-495C-4D22-BA18-DE45FF4BF884.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:09 am

Oh boy… another “abolish money” wacko.
Everyone will do their part and everything will be free… except that there’ll be zero incentive for anyone to work hard or do great things.
Or work at all. Why bother… everything is free!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:14 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:09 am
Oh boy… another “abolish money” wacko.
Everyone will do their part and everything will be free… except that there’ll be zero incentive for anyone to work hard or do great things.
Or work at all. Why bother… everything is free!
exactly this. Also, I'd add:
There will be no greed, no cheating, no lying to "get more"? Human nature is real.
Money is the best tool for trade. Barter is messy, at best. and to make everything "free" invites sloth and deception.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

thnkfl

Post by thnkfl » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:47 pm

PROBLEM:
My friends came over to help me with something, all meaning well, but they got in a fight and we ended not getting anything done.

SOLUTION (via my mother, 65 years ago):
Have each one give the other a hug, apologize for getting upset, and get back to the task at hand.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:41 pm

I’d get new friends.
Those ones suck.

thnkfl

Post by thnkfl » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 pm

Yeah, right? I was hoping for more but ya take what ya get. Anyway, thanks for offering a solution. I'm sure you have more in you.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:36 pm

666isMONEY wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:25 pm
The solution is to abolish money, international boundaries and irrational religion; respect the planet.

That’s not going to happen because the broad masses of the public, especially in America, are too stupid, brainwashed?!

If I could I’d go to New Zealand or Australia where COVID-19 (I’m afraid a variant might not work with the vaccine) is pretty much under control. I’m stockpiling corn, soybeans, vitamin C and salt; growing peppers, squash, tomatoes.

If we could produce a screenplay of a Messiah telling all the truth about Kennedy assassinations, 9/11, USS Liberty, etc. and obtain an all star cast of scientists, famous people, etc. to explain the planetary situation and act as disciples; we might be able to convince the masses to repent and save the world.

The fact that you want to abolish other people's belief systems speaks volumes of you.

Somehow Self righteous control freak doesn't seem strong enough.

BTW - New Zealand believes very strongly about international boundaries and currently won't let you in.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:46 pm

thnkfl wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 pm
Yeah, right? I was hoping for more but ya take what ya get. Anyway, thanks for offering a solution. I'm sure you have more in you.
He has plenty more. Trust me :mrgreen:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:58 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:36 pm
666isMONEY wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:25 pm

The fact that you want to abolish other people's belief systems speaks volumes of you.

Somehow Self righteous control freak doesn't seem strong enough.

BTW - New Zealand believes very strongly about international boundaries and currently won't let you in.
+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:58 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:46 pm
thnkfl wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 pm
He has plenty more. Trust me :mrgreen:
this
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

scriptorpress
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: No Borders Free Bookstore

Post by scriptorpress » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 am

This is a cool idea to work with. Wondering if maybe it would be helpful to consider starting just with Burning Man problems/solutions?

I say this because it's more of a finite playing field to assess. And maybe what can be determined to work in BRC might have applications beyond the playa.

So, just to add something substantive to this discussion, I will start:

Question: How to make tickets more affordable and available for all, instead of the stress-induced situation it is now?

Answer: My eyes and ears are open to others on this! :)

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am

It is literally impossible to make tickets more available when there is a max population cap set by the BLM, other than discouraging so many people from wanting to go.
Eliminating as many services as possible and anything that makes it easier for people to go is all you can do, assuming you don’t want to just raise the price.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:31 pm

To tickets, I think the BORG should stop proselytizing and hyping the event. I was introduced to the event by Cacophony Society friends. They helped me with a ride, packing lists, and shopping. Then I brought about 10 more people over the years, doing the same. When the event spreads by word of mouth and burners train up the next generation it helps with the culture. Instead the BORG has made a devil pact with the press, glowing coverage in exchange for Media Mecca approval.

They are missing the boat not monetizing the regionals.

To Outside Services, the BORG sort of gets it. There was a discussion in one of the theme camp symposia that is around on video. The sort of part is that the BORG needs outside services itself, catering is about a million, then generators, heavy equipment, Internet service, fuel, water, portos, building the LEO village, etc. As we love to say, it's complicated.

I have thought about erecting a large Faraday shield against mobile phone service out by the airport :D
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:31 pm
I have thought about erecting a large Faraday shield against mobile phone service out by the airport :D
Only if there is a big-ass Tesla Coil on top of it!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am

Token wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 pm
some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:31 pm
Only if there is a big-ass Tesla Coil on top of it!
WHS !
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Return to “Philosophical Center”