Unregulated campout 2021 on

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Unregulated campout 2021 on

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:45 am

I'm not there, but reports are coming in of an A-OK non-event. Some ePlayans are there. What would happen if unregulated campers camped outside the exclusion zone in the week before or after? Each year.

You mean decommodified from the BLM? Yes.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Unregulated campout 2021 on

Post by Ano » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 am

This actually did technically happen for a few years. I want to say it was '15 and '16, but my years might be off. I visited them on my perimeter shifts!

It was called "Dumb Burning Man" and they basically made the choice to bring their set-up right to the tip of the exclusion zone.

They could never get a critical mass to make it work out and be fun, I think. I got the feeling from them that they were all mainly hanging out and feeling like, "damn, I wish we could go over there." They'd ask me questions about the art, what's going on, which camps were around, what I was doing, etc.

I think that this could work out if you got the right people to do it with, and if you could get past the whole "Burning Man is over there" thing.

I also feel like, if you wanted to do your own campout, there are better times to do it, depending on your goal. I guess doing it while the event is happening is cool, but there are milder months out there, and without the event, there's significantly less dust and traffic. Not to mention, no BLM or nosy perimeter people driving up to see what's up with you. But I could also see it being a part of the allure.

Decentralized camping with a small group of friends in the Black Rock Desert is absolutely amazing, and I hope this small event we have happening right now inspires people to do so.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Unregulated campout 2021 on

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 am

Ano wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 am
This actually did technically happen for a few years. I want to say it was '15 and '16, but my years might be off. I visited them on my perimeter shifts!

It was called "Dumb Burning Man" and they basically made the choice to bring their set-up right to the tip of the exclusion zone.

They could never get a critical mass to make it work out and be fun, I think. I got the feeling from them that they were all mainly hanging out and feeling like, "damn, I wish we could go over there." They'd ask me questions about the art, what's going on, which camps were around, what I was doing, etc.

I think that this could work out if you got the right people to do it with, and if you could get past the whole "Burning Man is over there" thing.

I also feel like, if you wanted to do your own campout, there are better times to do it, depending on your goal. I guess doing it while the event is happening is cool, but there are milder months out there, and without the event, there's significantly less dust and traffic. Not to mention, no BLM or nosy perimeter people driving up to see what's up with you. But I could also see it being a part of the allure.

Decentralized camping with a small group of friends in the Black Rock Desert is absolutely amazing, and I hope this small event we have happening right now inspires people to do so.
"dumb burningman" was indeed a "thing" and as you say, didn't reach critical mass to make it fun and all, it seemed. As a Perimeter shift lead, I dealt with them and shenanigans off and all the whole time. Mostly an ok group, some trying to sneak in, some just there to taunt us and BLM/LE, and some just for fun? Not super prepared or geared up, so, it was tough on them. But yeah, as long as they were outside the exclusion zone, camping is/was allowed, and "group size" was at the discretion of the BLM ranger, as far as calling it an "event" or "group camp", which could trigger the need for a permit.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Philosophical Center”