new post about damage to playa. BM own people agree with us

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:32 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Well.... site placement comes to mind....perhaps it's time to consider a different location farther out on the playa. And not only for dust abatement or surface healing measures.

I have other ideas but I'm not speaking up on them until I can get back out there in a couple of weeks and see some things I still question first hand. I'm hoping that will be done by the end of October.
If you are not ready to be constructive, nor yet convinced of the peril, maybe you should hold your peace until you can meet both conditions. I don't see a lot of value in arm-waving and yelling fire, but then reserving judgement on whether to run for the exits.

Regarding your personal/social problems: They are of your own making, and it is not what I would describe as a shallow grave. Even with that as a backdrop, it's pretty silly to cast everything that doesn't go your way as a coordinated response by a "cabal." As a lurker, you are well aware of how central to the 3playa and our thoughts you really are.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:37 pm

Oh, and I am not sure that site placement matters at all considering that water covers the playa and re-levels it in the winter. If the event were less LNT, i.e. there was lots of artifact left behind then I could see both the argument for moving it, and the argument for keeping the damage contained.

As it is, loose trash blows where it will. Burners do a great job in general removing stakes, rebar, etc. and the DPW does a fantastic job cleaning up after the jackasses that abandon their crap out there.

Some of the earlier ideas kicked around, and taken out of context, such as piss pits seem very unlikely to me. Even if a pint of urine could pit the playa, the rains, wind and pooling of one wet season would undo any damage or at the very least, un-localize it.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:55 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Well.... site placement comes to mind....perhaps it's time to consider a different location farther out on the playa. And not only for dust abatement or surface healing measures.

Sorry. Never going to happen. Its all about infrastructure now.

Part of the reason why BRC is located where it is, is so that it has quick access off the playa in an emergency. Can you imagine a BIG rainstorm with everyone in the middle of the playa? Personally, I would love to see 16,000 cars, SUVs and RVs up to their door panels in mud, but that's just because I am a sadist.

There are several reasons why I would like to se BRC more in the center of the playa, but those reasons are overrulled by the bureaucracy that the Borg has to deal with every year.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Hey Don, is Badger feeding you things to say over there or are you thinking for yourself?
For fuck's sake would you please leave me the fuck out of your self-absorbed tirades? Pop a Xanax or four and shut the fuck up at least to anything that applies to me on a personal note.

Please, take whatever spunk sock obsession you have with me along with your dead horse insistence about living with your imagined lymphoma and pound them both up your ass along with a bucket of sand you unmedicated shithat.
But there's still a few that no matter what I do, if I died tomorrow and they stood over the autopsy table to see it for themselves would still not believe things.
Your continued insistence at having cancer and people's general belief to the contrary is totally off topic here. But such is to be expected as it ultimately does end up being all about you and your assertion that you continue on a glide path to certain drama-fueled, medical meltdown of your own imagining. The topic at hand here is related to (alleged) damage to the playa not your 'me-too-I've-got-cancer'' pity/attention solicitation fest. Please, stay on tack, argue your point(s) with those who take excpetion to them and leave me the fuck out of it.
Oh, and I am not sure that site placement matters at all considering that water covers the playa and re-levels it in the winter.
Don, actually it seems to matter to the BLM. As I understand it they're using same location placement as a means to evaluate for physical impact on the playa. I think the requirement was for a period of three years at which point they may make a change to the permitting process and allow for some migration of the event around the playa. In some ways it seems like a sword of Damocles. Insist on keeping the location the same yet be willing to suggest potential damage due to NOT allowing relocation and possible recovery. Having said all of that you're correct about the winter water level removing most physical traces of vehicular traffic. One need only go out to the playa in April, May, June, July and August (pre-event) to see that there is in fact nary a trace of road or a residual grid of BRC. Same can be said about flying over the areas as I did with our friend Zona back in July. No trace of the city although I do have July photos (aerial) of dust plumes coming off of the playa - from areas far removed from the actual event site.
Desert dogs drink deep.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:59 pm

Anyway let's move this back on track, if you or anyone else has an issue with me PM's work well.
Not really wanting to get in the middle of this again, I personally appreciate this approach.

Of course it would always be nice if people could separate whatever topic is being discussed from thier personal history of animostity, but I guess thats just a dream.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Badger, my diagnosis has not changed.
Also I don't need sympathy. Awareness is another matter entirely.
Instead of launching a long reply back I ask if there is anyway to resolve this?
My obession is the same as it was when this began. Resolution.
As a BRC Ranger you have stepped in and resolved many conflicts before. You have a great ability to do that. Would you apply those skills with our situation and try to reach a successful resolution? We have some common interests, I'd like to work along with you, not against you.

Back on topic we all have the same interest in removing that sword of Damocles. My approach may not be the best but it's my way of putting the concept of Do-ocracy into motion. The PM's I get tell me I'm on the right track. So let's continue looking for answers.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:22 pm

Instead of launching a long reply back I ask if there is anyway to resolve this?
Yes.

For starters, leave me the fuck alone. Stop your pathetic PM's to me, stop bringing up my name as leverage to validate or buttress your points or bringing it up when someone trumps your ill-informed positions by suggesting I contribute to someone else's point-of-view or perception of the world as it relates to any issue discussed on this board. Further, if you insist on including me as a touch stone by which to validate your own ideas, perceptions, beliefs and personal self-worth maybe keep it over on one those multiple, nutjob blogs of yours.

Thanks for asking.
Desert dogs drink deep.

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Badger, my diagnosis has not changed.
Reaching for my copy of DSM-IV...
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:48 pm

That's cute Geekster. Wrong book.

Badger, you got a deal. And instead of being in PM's it's been made public. It's exactly what I wanted.
There's only one more thing for me to say.
Thank you.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:57 pm

Not really wanting to get in the middle of this again, I personally appreciate this approach.
Which one is that Spect? Make it personal, then claim the high-road?

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:18 pm

Don Muerto wrote:Which one is that Spect? Make it personal, then claim the high-road?
What?

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:08 pm

The approach you appreciate. Is it the one where Kinetic gets personal, then claims the high-road?

Jesus man, switch to decaf!

Burnboy

Re: new post about damage to playa. BM own people agree with

Post by Burnboy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:44 pm

allanon2 wrote:as the original thread about this information was attempted to be hijacked by someone I am posting it here for people to comment on. the original post was done by Obcurotron. This information contained below comes from BM own people who seem to agree with what we have been saying for years.

obscurotron wrote:
Yes, and a wonderfully stable bunch you guys are. I can't imagine anybody not just immediately believing everything you write, even if you aren't going to run them down or shoot them, or anything like that. :)

You don't know where I live, do you? Good.

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Burnboy wrote:a wonderfully stable bunch you guys are http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... ht=#188110
Hey!
Nice try, but you can`t fool me!

Those photos are actually stills from the movie:
"Children of the Corn"

Real people aren`t THAT fucking freaky.

You should be ashamed!

Burnboy

Post by Burnboy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:47 am

EvilDustBooger wrote:Nice try, but you can`t fool me!

Those photos are actually stills from the movie:
"Children of the Corn"

Real people aren`t THAT fucking freaky.

That's what I keep hoping. Image

Hatris

Post by Hatris » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:34 am

[quote="Cosworth Magellan"][quote]Any one know what the playa looked lke before our military got done bombing the hell out of it?[/quote]

Like this:

[img]http://coronn.com/TOPOS/slovenia/bled/images/etta.jpg[/img][/quote]

OOOOH my home country looks so beautiful... much better than the playa.

Savior69

???

Post by Savior69 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:29 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:So to say there's no impact from the event? Bullshit. The plume counts. As for the playa serpents they are out there and I feel it's time to get a scientific explanation as to their origin. Nobody knows for sure right now....that can be changed. There are other little things but after seeing the plume and hitting those playa serpents I can't totally dismiss the group's claims. And off it goes from there.
I'm just reading this discussion for the first time, and I am so moved by how much energy Kinetic IV is putting into this. I hope that you are just as rabid going after companys and governments that create problems for this earth that are much bigger than you are disscussing. I know "act local" and all, but are you writing as passionate discussions concerning depleated uranium bullets, pharmecudial waste, aging nuclear plants?

How bout Nascar races? I can just imagine the amount of tires, oil, fuel consumed daily for the races and practicing and training. You think Nascar does an impact report? one month of that sport would be far beyond anything that Burning Man could ever produce.
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:26 pm

Watch what you say. Next thing you know he'll be obsessing about you on that tittering little blog page of his.

ravenluv

dust angels

Post by ravenluv » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 am

aw, k4 is just trying to save the event, y'all. it's so darned precious, after all.

he saw the plume and he's from the show me state. i am too, and i've seen some as well. i also lived in kansas, so i know we're all just dust in the wind anyway. but i'm also from the east, so i think 'big friggin' deal' hoo-ha!!

i met this dude once and he told me he was taking some kind of experimental stimulant being used in the military. he said it didn't have any side effects. later, he started acting kind of strange, got worked up over little things. i mentioned something about it, implying that there might be side effects he wasn't noticing but that others could. he got upset and told me i was his enemy. i guess i was wrong.

Return to “Philosophical Center”