Muslims at Burning Man?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Green Wood

Post by Green Wood » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:51 pm

robotland wrote:
Green Wood wrote:
robotland wrote:I've seen numerous temples and cathedrals on the playa, but don't recall visiting a mosque...This needs to be addressed. Welcome, Muslim burners! Please forgive all the discussions about "bacon".
I have never seen a temple of an Established Religion on the playa!

have you robotland?

Numerous times. Perhaps your eyes were not entirely open.
Can you point me to a picture?
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 am

Green Wood wrote:
robotland wrote:
Green Wood wrote: I have never seen a temple of an Established Religion on the playa!

have you robotland?

Numerous times. Perhaps your eyes were not entirely open.

I can...

Hope and Fear wrote:Image
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Starjack

Post by Starjack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:50 am

Last year there was a gothic style cathedral, although it wasn't connected with any established, organized religion. I haven't myself noticed any structures linked to any specific religion, but have observed in the program that people of many different religions have scheduled times to get together for prayer, meditation, and other religious observances. Wtih Buddhists, Wiccans, Hindus, Jews, and many different denominations of Christians doing this, whiy not Muslims?

Teo -

Yes, superpower arrogance after WWII has been a problem. Superpower arrogance after WWI is actually what defined the modern mid-east, with England and France carving up the Ottoman Empire to create the states that exist today -- creating the hodge-podge internal contradictions of Iraq, denying the Kurds a state, etc... and even before that the Ottoman Empire kept the Arabs down.

The toppling of Stalinist regimes in Eastern Europe does offer models of hope. Still, those were nominal nation-states, most of which had had an experience of democracy between the world wars, and some of which had been independent nation states before that. Current borders in the mid-east are entirely a creation of British and French division of Ottoman spoils, and the first governments they knew were puppet kingdoms. Some of those dynasties survive in Kuwait, Jordan, and elsewhere. In other countries, as in Syria and Iraq they were replaced by military coups with imperialist backing (USSR behind Assad in Syria, the US/CIA behind Saddam Hussein in Iraq)

And, yeah.... some pretty nasty thugs have used exremist distortions of our religion to further their own agendas. Of course we see the same thing with Christian Fundies in the US and Israeli settlers encroaching on Palestinian lands.

The vast majority of Muslims live in repressive, neo-colonial regimes where standing up against oppression is a graver risk than most would take. Then there are the many immigrants in western nations who are struggling to fit in and make new homes without incurring trouble. That leaves a precious few Muslims, native to western countries who are indeed fighting repression in Islamic countries as well as fighting Islamophobia and other forms or repression in our own lands. That's a relative few of us stretched pretty thin!

assalaamu aleikum!

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:27 pm

History can be really odd sometimes. Young homosexual English lad falls in love with a Arab helper-boy and winds up leading an Arab revolt against the Turks. Only to be sold out by his own government. [Sykes-Picot agreement of 1916]

Im not optimistic abot the whole West v. Islam thing. I do think the model of former Soviet Block countries is a possibility though not an easy one.

But hey, let's forget politics now.

Im wishing you a wonderful, incredible, Burn this year!

Green Wood

Post by Green Wood » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
Green Wood wrote:
robotland wrote: Numerous times. Perhaps your eyes were not entirely open.

I can...

Hope and Fear wrote:Image
That's not an established religion!

the lamplighters just aren't priests!
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

bungdan

Post by bungdan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Wow. lots of posts. If anyone needs tapes of great azzan (calls to prayer) or more interestingly suffi zikr's, let me know and i'll bring them next year. I live in Cairo.

Emai is my name, at yahoooo.

Return to “Philosophical Center”