Should BM move to Mexico?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Should we move to Mexico?

Yes
15%
Yes
15%
No
35%
No
35%

Total votes: 138

Apollonaris Zeus

Should BM move to Mexico?

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat May 13, 2006 5:03 pm

With the BLM's fees rising and the prospect of new fees to be paid directly to county LEO's maybe its time to move BM to Mexico.

And remember, Mexico has decriminalized personal drug use!!!

AIIZ

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Sat May 13, 2006 9:57 pm

THE RISE AND FALL of Mexican drug-law reform over the last two weeks has been, for drug legalizers, a dizzying high followed by a painfully abrupt crash. U.S. drug authorities laid down their usual bummer: No user is going to get off easy on their watch. And thanks to the United States' overwhelming power and influence, their watch extends everywhere.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/com ... t-opinions

looks like that bill didn't pass

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=23194

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sat May 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Larry in a Sombero?
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Re: Should BM move to Mexico?

Post by joel the ornery » Sun May 14, 2006 4:48 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:With the BLM's fees rising and the prospect of new fees to be paid directly to county LEO's maybe its time to move BM to Mexico.

you first.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 14, 2006 10:42 am

Here's some funny exerpts from one of the articles-

"Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission"

did I hear "Liberty" no fucking liberty there!

"Now we must be concerned not only with illegal workers coming to our country, we must also be concerned about the increased flow of drugs from a country that admits it cannot control the flow of illicit drugs, and where anyone may soon be allowed to walk around with some of the most deadly and destructive drugs known to man."

I like the "we must be concerned...illegal workers..." and

"increased flow of drugs from a country that admits it cannot control the flow of illicit drugs"

at least there is a country that admits there is a problem of control of flow and that it's borders are unsecured!

And this final funny funny statement;

"anyone may soon be allowed to walk around with some of the most deadly and destructive drugs known to man"

You think they were talking about WMD's "and there is thousands of them with their needles point right at the good old US of A." and where do I meet up with deadly, "Destructo Man"!

Wow, add in the bird flu and its apocalyptic, but the truth is that most drugs tourist use will stay in Mexico after the party. And drugs, they will still make it's way in the old fashion way- drug smugglers walking, trucking and boating across an un-guarded border. Tourists, like those that travel to Amsterdam, do not bring back drugs with them. They leave it there. Why because they know they will be searched at the border. There may even be a reversal of designer drugs being imported into mexico.

Otherwise, was the timing of the bill now that republicans wish to divert the national attention from the war, high gas prices and a spiral deficit to the illegal imigrant problem and the current mexican administration doesn't wish to start a war on that issue too. The bill will come back during the next Mexican admin.

but moving to Mexico would do a lot to lower our ticket prices and gas prices too. Less LEO's would be a definite reduction.

perhaps an alternative winter event might be a better way to go.

and first is alway good too

AIIZ

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 am

The bribes are cheaper there.

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Sun May 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:With the BLM's fees rising and the prospect of new fees to be paid directly to county LEO's maybe its time to move BM to Mexico.
Make it Southern Mexico, so we could have all the portapotty moopers stripped naked, and left on the other side of the Guatemalan border without any of their possessions, papers included.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Guatemalla wouldnt allow a naked stoned/drunk BMer to stay in Guatemalla for more than 15 minutes!!!

Theyd simply kick em over the fence into Mexico!!
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sun May 14, 2006 3:59 pm

"Zeus breathes own intestinal gas, thinks of funny ideas, cannot get a grip on reality"

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun May 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Try Persia... er, Iran. I hear they use the consensus method and the Ten Principles just as much as the US or Mexico. Maybe even more so.

FWIW, we've been there before.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Sun May 14, 2006 9:40 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Guatemalla wouldnt allow a naked stoned/drunk BMer to stay in Guatemala for more than 15 minutes!!!

Theyd simply kick em over the fence into Mexico!!
And Mexico would kick them back, which is the beauty of the whole thing. The guy's going to be in Limbo for a good, long while. Maybe we could get him so stoned that he couldn't speak anything recognizable as English or even come to for about a day or two, after having somebody tattoo the words "I live to kill cops" in Spanish in some clearly visible location on his body, or maybe an arrow on his back with the Spanish equivalent of "I'm so lonely, won't somebody please stuff my burrito" starting between his shoulder blades.

After that, we might decide to do something mean to him. :twisted:

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Sun May 14, 2006 9:52 pm

And remember, Mexico has decriminalized personal drug use!!!
Some would disagree with you on that. Quoting the State Department's homepage:

Mexico rigorously prosecutes drug cases. Under Mexican law, possession of and trafficking in illegal drugs are federal offenses. For drug trafficking, bail does not exist. Convicted offenders can expect lengthy jail sentences and fines. Sentences for possession of drugs in Mexico can be as long as 25 years plus fines. Just as in the U.S., the purchase of controlled medication requires a doctor's prescription. The Mexican list of controlled medication differs from the U.S. list and Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medication are unclear. Possession of excessive amounts of a psychotropic drug such as Valium can result in your arrest if the authorities suspect abuse. Mexican law does not differentiate between types of narcotics. Heroin, marijuana, and amphetamines, for example, are treated the same. Offenders found guilty of possessing more than a token amount of any narcotic substance are subject to a minimum sentence of 10 months in prison, and it is not uncommon for persons charged with drug offenses to be detained for up to 1 year before a verdict is reached.

Remember, if narcotics are found in your vehicle, you are subject to arrest and your vehicle can be confiscated.

Avoid public drunkenness.

It is against the law to be drunk in public in Mexico. Certain border towns have become impatient with teenage (and older) Americans who cross the border to drink and carouse. This behavior can lead to fights, arrests, traffic accidents and even fatalities.

leaving you having to deal with the Mexican legal system in all of its glory. Good luck with that. All angrily facetious schadenfruede aside, I think that this is a really bad idea.

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sun May 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon May 15, 2006 6:40 am

Neutrality wrote:leaving you having to deal with the Mexican legal system in all of its glory. Good luck with that.
nothing that a cool c note or two couldnt solve.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 15, 2006 8:38 am

helitack wrote:"Zeus breathes own intestinal gas, thinks of funny ideas, cannot get a grip on reality"
Do a find all posts on this guy and you find nothing of intelligent content!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 15, 2006 8:45 am

Some would disagree with you on that. Quoting the State Department's homepage:
Mexico rigorously prosecutes drug cases. Under Mexican law, possession of and trafficking in illegal drugs are federal offenses. For drug trafficking, bail does not exist. Convicted offenders can expect lengthy jail sentences and fines. Sentences for possession of drugs in Mexico can be as long as 25 years plus fines. Just as in the U.S., the purchase of controlled medication requires a doctor's prescription. The Mexican list of controlled medication differs from the U.S. list and Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medication are unclear. Possession of excessive amounts of a psychotropic drug such as Valium can result in your arrest if the authorities suspect abuse. Mexican law does not differentiate between types of narcotics. Heroin, marijuana, and amphetamines, for example, are treated the same. Offenders found guilty of possessing more than a token amount of any narcotic substance are subject to a minimum sentence of 10 months in prison, and it is not uncommon for persons charged with drug offenses to be detained for up to 1 year before a verdict is reached.

Remember, if narcotics are found in your vehicle, you are subject to arrest and your vehicle can be confiscated.

Avoid public drunkenness.

It is against the law to be drunk in public in Mexico. Certain border towns have become impatient with teenage (and older) Americans who cross the border to drink and carouse. This behavior can lead to fights, arrests, traffic accidents and even fatalities.
[/quote]

First I don't believe everything my government says and if you supported the war, I guess you don't either.

Second: I've been in Mexico and find that statement full of bullshit. Funny how a few bucks can buy your way out of anything down there. Up here it just takes alot more money to bribe our LEO's!

Remember, this is way mexico wants to change the law to help LEO's from becoming corrupt in the first place.

Guess you need to see, "Training Day"

AIIZ

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 am

I vote for Diego Garcia.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon May 15, 2006 9:40 am

Isn't he related to Carmen SanDiego?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 15, 2006 10:09 am

Theirs is a dysfunctional relationship.

dougnaka

mexico would be nice

Post by dougnaka » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am

I did my junior and senior years of high school in Mexico City, as a project for my Mexican Studies class I did a survey of fellow students bribe history. I really wish I had my data still. But, some of the interesting points that I still remember were.

The lowest bribe given was a pack of cigarrettes which I think cost about 1000 pesos then ($.33), although I was one of the few who didn't smoke so I'm not sure.

Americans paid substantially higher bribes than native Mexicans.

The average bribe was around 10,000 pesos ($3.33)

I did this study because, being blonde, I was pulled over very frequently. I think in my 2 years there I was pulled over 7-10 times. I never once got a ticket of any kind, or taken to jail. The most I ever paid in a bribe to a traffic cop was 35,000 pesos. He accused my brother and I of "attempt to pee in the park". We were, in fact, stealing road signs, and my cousin was in the back of our suburban sitting on a pile of 3 or 4 large road signs. They never figured this out, fortunately for us. I had a man bring the police to my parents house once when we were waterballooning cars from there and we paid that policeman about 210,000 pesos ($70 US). We were new in the country and scared shitless and that was literally all the money we could come up with.

In Mexico, to get a drivers license, you have to take a much longer test than in the US. It includes basic mechanics of cars. When I got my license it cost $100 for a test that was already filled out and scored, all I had to do was sign it.

My Mexican Studies teacher didn't like me before I did the study.

I'm not 100% that BM would be without problems in Mexico, but I think if you planned it right, made sure you greased the right wheels, you'd probably end up saving money, having a more open event.

I think the main downside is it seems a large part of the population comes from San Francisco and this would make their commute much longer.

But I love Mexico, and think it could be a great host country for BM.

Think of how much the influx of $$$ BM brings could influence governmental policies there.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 am

Anyone for one of the Channel Islands?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 am

I'd like to see BM held on a real lake....where theme camps are built on floating structures and people get around by "art boats" instead of art cars. Anyway getting back on topic I kinda like the idea of having it in Mexico if the border wasn't such a pain to deal with.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:04 am

That would freaking ROCK KIV!! Next year, BM on Pyramid Lake! :D
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

dougnaka

Very interesting idea..

Post by dougnaka » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Would you then deal with the Coast Guard instead of the BLM for permits?

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:44 am

sorry people, but since the org has made huge investments in the purchase and upgrade of land near the playa, its all just weak conjecture at this point.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:54 am

spectabillis wrote:sorry people, but since the org has made huge investments in the purchase and upgrade of land near the playa, its all just weak conjecture at this point.
What's that famous quote...if you don't like something about the event why don't you go start one yourself? Someday someone could come along and do just that. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Or it could be a forced change. Say another Republican becomes President and this one is an even more serious rightwing nutjob than people expected. He / She steps in and blocks the event from happening or the permit from being renewed. Then what happens? All that investment goes poof!

My point is never say never....because anything is possible.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:58 am

sure anything is possible, with the event having its share of those same nutjobs i dont doubt it. its just not very likely the org is going to do anything like that anytime soon unless for some odd reason they are forced into it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Very interesting idea..

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:15 am

dougnaka wrote:Would you then deal with the Coast Guard instead of the BLM for permits?
It might depend on the actual land used. If it were a BLM island on a BLM lake. or an island in a NPS lake. How about a drilling platform 20 miles off the coast of california? That would be Coast Guard. I think. Not to mention the owner of the platform.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dana

Post by dana » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:I'd like to see BM held on a real lake....where theme camps are built on floating structures and people get around by "art boats" instead of art cars. Anyway getting back on topic I kinda like the idea of having it in Mexico if the border wasn't such a pain to deal with.
It would be awesome - except for the inevitable drownings. (assumed risk - why not?) Fire and water just seem to go together.....

I was in Hawaii earlier this year and caught a huge gathering in the evening on the beach. Drummers and some amazingly good fire dancers. Sort of a mini Man. I was thinking how much better BM would be in an ocean/beach setting. At BRC the dust gets old fast.. and being able to jump in the water whenever you wanted...?

Are the regionals worthwhile??

dana

Post by dana » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Anyone for one of the Channel Islands?
I think they're too protected aren't they?

But the more I think of beach and ocean - suddenly realized that's actually getting back to BM's beginnings... on the beach.
Hmmm Lake Powell? It's big enough for a lot of people to spread out. Kayaks, rowing rigs, motor rigs (mental pictures of swimmers getting munched in propellers - so maybe a problem), sail boats of various sort.
A new Regional?? Any bites?

Return to “Philosophical Center”