My Solution to the Yahoo Problem: Camp Tough Love

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
nick

My Solution to the Yahoo Problem: Camp Tough Love

Post by nick » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:14 pm

Making any kind of generalization about Burning Man is pretty tough. But I'm gonna try...

My thesis is that there are too many unprepared people at the event. I'm hardly a veteran (2001 was my first year) nor omniscient, but it SEEMS like the problem has gotten worse: More people wandering around (or coming by our camp) without even the most BASIC stuff like water, shade, batteries, food, etc.

I want to help these folks get a clue so they won't harsh my mello or impact the community -- but how?

One idea my campmates were toying with: Camp Tough Love. If you ask nice, we will give you whatever you need. If you are an ass, we will make fun of you, lecture you, and THEN give you whatever you need (within reason). Another idea is to make a little kit to give people -- dust mask, glow stick, etc -- all in a bag with a big sticker that says: "I'm an idiot! I forgot my [check one] water, glowsticks, etc but Camp Tough Love helped me out."

Maybe we can start a "Tough Love" certification program for camps who want to join up! ;)

-n-

Rob the Wop

Dammit!!

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:25 pm

Way too PC for me.

I seen the thread heading and was envisioning the following:

"Hi there. I forgot to bring water/food/googles/lube/condoms/dust mask/glow sticks."
<i>"Sure, c'mon in! You realize that we have to have 10 people dressed as clowns beat you with Whiffle bats for a solid 10 minutes before you get anything, right?"</i>
"Uhmmm..."

nick

Not tough enough

Post by nick » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:32 pm

I think you might be right... we need to be tougher... Clowns are needed...

Of course there is always my campmate with the 3-pound, hand-carved, laquer wood paddle -- Makes a nice THWAK!

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:08 pm

You could just partner with Jiffy Lube :o
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

DogBoy
Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Post by DogBoy » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:48 pm

Nick, you should come hang with us @ M*A*S*H 4207th. You pretty much discribed our camp to a tee, down to the idiot packs(minus the sticker).
"All you need in this world is ignorance & confidence, and then success is sure." -Mark Twain

"Wickedness is a myth created by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others." -Oscar Wilde

shuranuff

Post by shuranuff » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:54 pm

dogboy, do you have a paddle too? i think i might start forgetting very important things. accidentally of course.

OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:59 pm

smileytoes wrote:dogboy, do you have a paddle too? i think i might start forgetting very important things. accidentally of course.
He doesn't have a paddle...but he does have a riding crop.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

DogBoy
Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Post by DogBoy » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:12 pm

Smiley toes showed a wicked side & said-
dogboy, do you have a paddle too?
No, but I bring enough crap to the playa that I can make one in about 5 minutes...

I could not finish my trebuchet in time this year, but the best use I can think of for it is to lob beanbag chairs at people (here, catch!) It will be there next year.
"All you need in this world is ignorance & confidence, and then success is sure." -Mark Twain

"Wickedness is a myth created by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others." -Oscar Wilde

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:39 pm

OregonRed wrote:He doesn't have a paddle...but he does have a riding crop.
well, then. now i know where i'll be spending most of my time next year.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:02 pm

princess strych-9 wrote:
OregonRed wrote:He doesn't have a paddle...but he does have a riding crop.
well, then. now i know where i'll be spending most of my time next year.
I had a regular long tail whip and a riding crop. And I got to use my riding crop on two very cute playa virgins at the gate who asked me to use it! I mean there was no way I could say no, they were so cute, and they asked so nicely and all....

Give 'em what they want!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:22 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

PJ

Post by PJ » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:37 am

DogBoy wrote:my trebuchet...the best use I can think of for it is to lob beanbag chairs at people (here, catch!) It will be there next year.

I really want to see that.

MoisturePup

Re: My Solution to the Yahoo Problem: Camp Tough Love

Post by MoisturePup » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:20 pm

nick wrote:Making any kind of generalization about Burning Man is pretty tough. But I'm gonna try...

Maybe we can start a "Tough Love" certification program for camps who want to join up! ;)

-n-
I keep proposing turning The Man into a giant killer robot... nobody seems to like that idea though.

Return to “Philosophical Center”