Stupid Idea?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Stupid Idea?

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Well folks I think i hav heard it all -

You may or may not know that 30 or so of my mates and I do BM every year from work.

One of our guys want to do the following.

He would like us to drop him off just inside of the gate with nothing more than a gallon of water, shorts, t shirt, his shoes, and his video camera His plan is to see how well he can survive, and if he can thrive - bartering labor, love or whatever else he can to trade up.

Personally I think it will be a lot fo work, but what the hell. Dicky did it. so who knows. He will also have the safety net of us if it gets to overwhelming for him. This will be his 5th burn

Thoughts?
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 pm

i am sure he can volunteer as a sex slave.

Glittering Clitoris

Post by Glittering Clitoris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 pm

spectabillis wrote:i am sure he can volunteer as a sex slave.
Now you're talking!

Dork

Re: Stupid Idea?

Post by Dork » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:57 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Well folks I think i hav heard it all -

You may or may not know that 30 or so of my mates and I do BM every year from work.

He would like us to drop him off just inside of the gate with nothing more than a gallon of water, shorts, t shirt, his shoes, and his video camera His plan is to see how well he can survive, and if he can thrive - bartering labor, love or whatever else he can to trade up.

Personally I think it will be a lot fo work, but what the hell. Dicky did it. so who knows. He will also have the safety net of us if it gets to overwhelming for him. This will be his 5th burn

Thoughts?
Someone did a version of this several years ago. He was dropped naked, with no water or gear at the man. Someone else was following him with a video camera. He was not allowed to ask for anything, he had to survive only on what was offered to him.

I never did see the resulting video, but supposedly he made it the whole week just fine.

Dicky was a little different in that he had all of his needs attended to. Accept for physical contact and freedom of movement, anyway.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Yeah I heard about that as well. But not the video part. Perhaps someone will stop by with a link ..... ?
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

scotto
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Post by scotto » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:07 am

Someone did a version of this several years ago. He was dropped naked, with no water or gear at the man. Someone else was following him with a video camera. He was not allowed to ask for anything, he had to survive only on what was offered to him.

I never did see the resulting video, but supposedly he made it the whole week just fine.
http://www.nothingwithoutyou.net/
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:20 am

mdmf007 wrote:Personally I think it will be a lot fo work, but what the hell. Dicky did it.
...and all he had was an air-conditioned box, supplies, several-man support crew, attendant documentarians and a grant.

SURE it CAN work. And it's a reasonable comment on just what it is that you really NEED out there.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 am

I've been "boxed" in before :lol:

Otisserie

Post by Otisserie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:37 pm

scotto wrote:

http://www.nothingwithoutyou.net/
Just watched the clip. Pretty cool; it was BM 2002 BTW. mdmf007, I'd say your friend should either find another idea, or a different twist on this one. No sense doing a "me too" video.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:50 pm

on a slightly more serious note to get past the possible criticism, there might be some backlash due to the radical self-reliance thing. on one hand its good to volunteer help and/or bartering services, on the other you dont really want to be a liability or burden on others. but since this is his fifth time attending and he has close friends like you who want to help if needed that probably takes care of the worst of possibilities.

re documenting these things: documenting that would only be as interesting as the person being documented. iow: people would be more interested in hearing personal and social relations and reflections, trials and struggling to overcome obstacles... NOT like some reality show drama.

bronco2121

yah...

Post by bronco2121 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:53 pm

it's been/gets WAY done. there's a whole contingent of people out there testing how nice people can be in a very hippie sort of way. you see it more at the end of the week - people coming around asking if you have any meat or cheese to spare. or the "can i take a shower with your last gallon of water even though i'm clean'' guys. then ýou'll see them again at the gas station and they'll ask you for a cigarette even though 2 hours before they turned down your last can of chicken soup after opening it after jumping out of your 'too cold' shower...

so yes, you can go that way. is it cool? sure fine whatever. just don't tell me 'safety thrid' and we'll be friends.

and don't try to finger paint on the side of my van at the gas station in some sort of attempt to bond as an artist who's only seeking to just get one more thing from you like a cigarette at a gas station.

but othwerwise, feel free to do whatever.

B!

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:10 pm

Spec -
I wouldnt say Im supporting this idea - I am pretty skeptical about it as is. Yeah he has the safety net of us - but this guy is the type that is built around a core of pride, and the "must be right" attitude.

Basically I think even if he did need help, he would avoid us just to let us know he can do it. Thats my worry.

later

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Sure, I'll put him to work. A 4 hr shift gets ya one meal and all the water you can drink.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:41 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Sure, I'll put him to work. A 4 hr shift gets ya one meal and all the water you can drink.

\/
Girl,your a hard ass..

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 pm

HA!!!!
I DL'd the video from the NOTHING WITHOUT YOU website, converted it to an MP4 video and dropped it on a memory stick, walked to my buddies office, and just stuck it in his drive. Walked off and about 45 seconds later i hear
"fuck - everything i think of has been done." come from his office

We all chuckled as our offices are all open most of the time and it was particularly quiet.

I am not sure if Dan is going to do his radical Mooching project or not.
He is trying to come up with something original, and not having much luck.

later

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:40 am

I'm going to do something spontaneous.
I just have to decide when.
Thursday at 2:00.
How's that?

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm

This thursday?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Send those moochers over to my camp ..After driving across the deset in the evening, I have a bumper crop of bug guts/mana all over the front of the van ..

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:15 pm

mdmf007 wrote:This thursday?
This thursday during burning man.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm not endorsing the product, but he shouldn't get hung up on 'original.' There really is nothing new under the sun.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:02 am

I like the idea.
One year, think it was 2004, i saw someone dragging a heavy wooden cross across the playa. He said it was his "mission". I offered him some water. He drank and told me it was the first water that was offered to him that morning. He really made me feel good about myself!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:55 pm

My variation on this would be "progressive slave auction".

You start out with the nothing, working for camps/individuals/artists in turn in 4/6 hour slots, helping build, cook clean whatever. They're responsible for passing you on to the next camp through barter whatever.

I'm way too old and lazy now to do it.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

dana

Post by dana » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 pm

spectabillis wrote:on a slightly more serious note to get past the possible criticism, there might be some backlash due to the radical self-reliance thing. .
radical self-reliance........

on trust?

dana

Post by dana » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Steven bradford wrote:My variation on this would be "progressive slave auction".

You start out with the nothing, working for camps/individuals/artists in turn in 4/6 hour slots, helping build, cook clean whatever. They're responsible for passing you on to the next camp through barter whatever.

I'm way too old and lazy now to do it.
Holy shit!!

There has to be a "Slave Camp".??

Won't be me organizing it for your same reasons. I thought of a variation of this at the critical tits party - based on Fellini's City of Women. I think it'd be popular.

dj_john69
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Thoughts?
There is actually a tv show called "Only In America" where the host did the same thing but he brought less and survived. Gotta be more original.

DJmoYst

Post by DJmoYst » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:00 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Sure, I'll put him to work. A 4 hr shift gets ya one meal and all the water you can drink.

OOOHHH.... i'll give you 4 hours of work.... :evil: :evil: :lol:
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:29 pm

For you I'll even kick down some gaterade.
See: Get Involved > All about Participating in the Pottie Project for details.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Thoughts?
This is my 5th burn and I was thinking of doing roughly the same thing. Though I'll have food enough for the week and enough water for myself. I don't want to be forced to bum the necessities.

I really like the slave idea, too. I think I'll put out a shingle in front of my camp and offer my services in exchange for (to be negotiated). My girlfriend and I decided to go seperately this year, so I'm a little more free to do weird stuff. I've never gone stag.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Re: yah...

Post by EB » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:53 pm

bronco2121 wrote:
...and don't try to finger paint on the side of my van at the gas station in some sort of attempt to bond...
Best. Quote. Ever.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Update on Dan -

His radical mooching project is on - Heres his plan, paraphrased mind you.

1. arrive with a group of us as usual, monday AM at around 10ish.

2. Strip down to his kilt, and shoes, and gallon water jug, and the signs he just made in our print room.
a. One says "will fuck for food"
b. "licensed engineer willing to work for food / clothes" on another side
c. Hard Worker - Need Food
d. Hard Worker - Need Clothing

3. We drop him off after greeters, and he waits with his double sided signs and sees how it turn out. Now Dan is pretty storng willed and we have a calender pool going to see when he quits. I put 50 on him going the distance. most have him quitting on wednesday. Its Bob Barker rules, whoever is closest without going over wins.

69 Days until it burns, 63 days until it opens, 42 days until I am there.

later

Return to “Philosophical Center”