Do you know what makes BM possible?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

How do you feel about this?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:19 pm

I agree
No votes
I agree
No votes
I don't agree
50%
I don't agree
50%

Total votes: 38

mayavin

Post by mayavin » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:31 pm

shhh...

(it's a secret thirstless thirst)
sphera spinning circa gradually midst photon shaft grazing electron soo flit while neutron's gazing

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:32 pm

As of this moment, the poll (with 15 votes) runs !00% disagreement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Burp! wrote:
Here's a question, let me know your thoughts on this, just curious.

I know of a camp that is planning on hiring a moving company to move there stuff from reno to the playa. Turns out that financially it saves them $300+ rather than getting a truck and hauling the stuff themselves. When I heard about this, it struck me in two ways, this is both so right and so wrong, almost a paradox. I feel this is at the heart what burning man is about and again what is going to bring it down. I can't decide if I hate the idea or love it. You?
At first, I loved it because it was innovative. Because, hey, if these guys built a better mousetrap, good for them. But...

...then, I hated it because of the whole it's-not-the-destination-its-the-journey thing. I can't remember a giant camping trip that had a guy from Mayflower ask me where he should put my spooge couch. Doesn't pass the smell test. But...

...then, it dawned on me that if they're hiring a moving company to load them up in Reno and unload on the playa, the movers, like everybody else had to have a ticket to get in. Which also meant they'd have to go through the Greeter Station like everybody else. Which, if I remember MY first time going through Greeters, the guys from Reno Mayflower are going to have a 70 year-old shirtcocker with an aggressive Prince Albert instructing them on the ways of the playa, reaching crescendo with a come-to-Jesus warning that if any of them are planning on having sex on the playa, they better be using a water-based lube and "to stick glowsticks up their asses so as not to get run over by a giant anteater."

So, yeah, it's okay with me.

As somebody smarter than me said on another thread: "Playa dust covers all equally."

EB
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Return to “Philosophical Center”