Burning Man is part of my "American Dream"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Kindaroko

Burning Man is part of my "American Dream"

Post by Kindaroko » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm

I'd like to think Larry is smarter then most of the pollers are giving him credit for. The "American Dream" is an idea - not a place, not politics. The Rev. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" was about HIS "American Dream" - it was a dark time in America when he was writing that brilliant speech but he didn't say "fuck it I'm not going to partisapate" he did something about it and made the America I live in better because of it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 pm

and look where it got him...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Remembered?

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Stryder

Re: Burning Man is part of my "American Dream"

Post by Stryder » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Exactly. At first consideration, the theme seems repulsive. But with some thought, one can come up with 'alternative' dreams. I think that is what is really at the heart of this theme. We each have some sort of dream that defines our hopes for our country. I think that Burning Man is an excellent part of the american dream. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly!!
(I still get some revulsion at the thought of any sort of 'patriotism' as part of it, since patriotism can lead to jingoism.)

(Jingoism- Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.)

Kindaroko wrote:I'd like to think Larry is smarter then most of the pollers are giving him credit for. The "American Dream" is an idea - not a place, not politics. The Rev. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" was about HIS "American Dream" - it was a dark time in America when he was writing that brilliant speech but he didn't say "fuck it I'm not going to partisapate" he did something about it and made the America I live in better because of it.
"Look, good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else."

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:57 pm

It's rather sad that so many Americans who consider themselves free thinkers, have no dreams for Americas. Depressing.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

lurker

Post by lurker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 am

Exactly. At first consideration, the theme seems repulsive. But with some thought, one can come up with 'alternative' dreams
No, those who find it repulsive are, in their own way, repulsive.

We need no 'alternative dreams'.

We need people smart enough to understand that 'The American Dream' isn't just one thing.

The sewage headed left* wants everyone to be disgusted because what bubbles through the rotting fecal matter they earnestly call brains is a jingoistic, patriotic, christian house with a lawn and white picket fence designed to hold in all the goodies you buy to keep up with the Joneses in a mindless caucus-race of endless consumerist capitalism.

And never once does it occur to them that THEIR ideas for an ideal America are THEIR American Dream.

Though, I've gotta admit that it scares me a little that a lot of them can't seem to enjoy their dreams unless everyone else is forced to enjoy their dreams with them

*I single out 'the left' becuse people expressing a leftish bent seem to be the ones whining about how bad this theme is.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:14 pm

I have a question. Suppose the Christian right says "Hey... 'American Dream'. Now, I could get into that! Let's get a hundred guys together to go wave American flags."

Is that a problem? Are we not radically inclusive? What if the theme ultimately makes that point: Shit or get off the pot. Maybe the flag-wavers are the ones in most dire need of a blowjob...wait, that's a movie...I mean, at the very least aren't they sort of the people who NEED a dose of playa dust?

I sort of go to BM to get away from the politics, but there's always political art there, so, whatever. Watching a man standing on what looks like a burning corporate skyscraper works for me.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Kindaroko

Post by Kindaroko » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I have a question. Suppose the Christian right says "Hey... 'American Dream'. Now, I could get into that! Let's get a hundred guys together to go wave American flags."

Is that a problem? Are we not radically inclusive? What if the theme ultimately makes that point: Shit or get off the pot. Maybe the flag-wavers are the ones in most dire need of a blowjob...wait, that's a movie...I mean, at the very least aren't they sort of the people who NEED a dose of playa dust?

I sort of go to BM to get away from the politics, but there's always political art there, so, whatever. Watching a man standing on what looks like a burning corporate skyscraper works for me.

-zb
You're right that would be "radically inclusive"! I think most of us would mistake them for a theme camp making a statement about "the right" - solitifing most of our positions even more - they'd fit right in - and course there's the chance we might convert 20 or 30 of them! Burning Man is more tempting then Sodom and Gomorrah in my opinion.

itwazed

Post by itwazed » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm

The more i think on this theme the more it intruiges me...as a member of the "left" bent (im a mother fuckin screamin liberal bitchs) I have to say this theme scared me at first....But just as ive taken the idea of taking back my religon from the extreme right..maybe its time i got my ass motivated to take my country back with it....if we cant bring the playa to everyone well bring em all to the playa.
Fly Fat ASS!!! FLY!!!!!
He smoked a phat cronic blunt.

neccessity

Post by neccessity » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:30 am

1. 99.9% of the people saying "I won't participate if that's the theme" are the same types that failed to leave the country AS PROMISED when Bush was re-elected. Stop whining. Joyfully interpret. Cope. Or be one of the honorable .1% who actually stand by their word and don't go in '08.

2. Black Rock City is my Ellis Island. It IS my American Dream. I'm a middle class white chick, married to a middle class white boy. I have no homeland, no dance of my native caucasia... or at least I didn't, until I finally made it to the promised land, the new world, in 2006. Think about it - you show up with only a bag or two to your name, no homestead set up for you, no money to speak of, tired, weary, confused... And sometimes you even get a new name!

Ellis Island - greeter stations
Melting Pot - BRC
Create a new life - DO-Ocracy
Your tired (ravers) your weak (dehydrated) your huddles masses (burn night, Deep End, temple, Center Camp......)

"...one ecosystem
in diversity
under the sun
With joyful interpenetration for all."
-"For All", Gary Snyder

I think it's a pretty spot-on theme. :P
Teh mother of invention

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:38 am

But, but, the only reason I didn't leave was that New Zealand wouldn't have me (and Australia's laws are too messed up for me to figure out)...! :oops:

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

honeyfire

Damn straight, missy!

Post by honeyfire » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:13 pm

neccessity sayed:

"Black Rock City is my Ellis Island. It IS my American Dream."

Big smoochies for neccessity!
You GOT it, girl!
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:30 pm

I'm ok with the general concept. The "American Dream" is a vague concept used for many different things - it could mean hard work, family, a home, prosperity, or obscene amassing of wealth. It could mean spreading "freedom" by any means necessary, economic might, political, entertainment or snackfood empires, gluttony, cars, any number of things.

The description they have up now doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though. They say a lot about what they DON'T want people to interpret the theme as, which as we all know nobody will listen to anyway. The theme always devolves into simple gut reactions to the title. Think pirates, aliens, boats. Do they really think someone with a passion about some divisive issue is going to forget it all and not build art about it because BMORG tells them to? And what do all the flags of the other countries of the world have to do with it?

neccessity

Post by neccessity » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 am

Awww Honey! You're going to make me cry!!! I really am super-passionate about it though, when I think if it that way...

Dork: yup. yup. and yup. It's way broader than people are thinking. BMorg can name any theme they want and the city will do something totally different with it. And it will ROCK. I'd actually like to see MORE of these "challenging" themes. The more "I don't wanna..." we feel the more creative we have to get with it. I'm jazzed for '08 now!
Teh mother of invention

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 am

I have a dream that every dome in BRC will have flame effects throughout the pipes and at night the parachutes removed so they can BURN BABY BURN!

(imagine that being said with the voice of Jello Biafra)
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:36 am

Toolmaker wrote:I have a dream that every dome in BRC will have flame effects throughout the pipes and at night the parachutes removed so they can BURN BABY BURN!

(imagine that being said with the voice of Jello Biafra)
Holy shit dude... quit following me from ahead and writing about flaming domes. :lol:

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:40 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:I have a question. Suppose the Christian right says "Hey... 'American Dream'. Now, I could get into that! Let's get a hundred guys together to go wave American flags."

We, the Playa dust zealots, can see that they are in dire need of a dose of Playa dust. But I must ask myself, are they capable of getting it?

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 am

lurker wrote:No, those who find it repulsive are, in their own way, repulsive.

We need no 'alternative dreams'.

We need people smart enough to understand that 'The American Dream' isn't just one thing.
Right, it is a collection of many, alternative dreams woven into one.
The sewage headed left* wants everyone to be disgusted because what bubbles through the rotting fecal matter they earnestly call brains is a jingoistic, patriotic, christian house with a lawn and white picket fence designed to hold in all the goodies you buy to keep up with the Joneses in a mindless caucus-race of endless consumerist capitalism.
"Sewage headed left"???

Seriously... what the fuck dude.

That jingoist, flag waving patriot, do not question your government, picture of Jesus on the wall, urban sprawl zero lot line house in a box out in the suburbia wasteland of SUV's, crammed full of all the latest gadgets and fashionable accessories courtesy of the ubber consumerist frenzy feedings at the local mall and Wal Mart is precisely what the bought and sold, mainstream American Dream has evolved into.

Since the 50's, the driving force of the American Dream has been focused on a consumerism gluttony that has been steadily personified by the mainstream American society. Bigger,, better, cheaper and damn the resource cost. This entire orgy of "Fuck you, I'm getting mine first" mentality reached an apex shortly after the 9/11 attacks on the US when the president steps out on camera and tells America to defeat terrorism by going shopping.

But yet, to point out this obvious trend of mainstream America becoming more obsessed with materialism and waste with every passing generation and express concern about it is the product of a "sewage filled" mind full of shit.

Nice.
Though, I've gotta admit that it scares me a little that a lot of them can't seem to enjoy their dreams unless everyone else is forced to enjoy their dreams with them
:lol: Now I know your post is menat to be taken lightly and laughed at with this kind of remark.

You are scared of the "sewage headed" leftists wanting America to curtail their over the top waste and consumerism and return to a society that believes making sacrifices for other members of your community is more important than being the first on the block with the latest H2 incarnation but have no issues with the righty side of the equation wanting everyone to be forced into the same mold of conformity and morality.
*I single out 'the left' becuse people expressing a leftish bent seem to be the ones whining about how bad this theme is.
Given the fact that there is a decidedly left leaning slant to many of the people that frequent this site, that is a rather ridiculous statement to utilize as a justification for a chance to take some political potshots on those you disagree with.

Alchemy

Re: Burning Man is part of my "American Dream"

Post by Alchemy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Kindaroko wrote:I'd like to think Larry is smarter then most of the pollers are giving him credit for. The "American Dream" is an idea - not a place, not politics. The Rev. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" was about HIS "American Dream" - it was a dark time in America when he was writing that brilliant speech but he didn't say "fuck it I'm not going to partisapate" he did something about it and made the America I live in better because of it.
My GOD you said in WAY less words than me! YOU are an elliquant GOD of commication.. I bow at your feet !!
read my blather in " Why Burningman sucks and Im not going.." post some where in this board...Its like hours of thought-and altruistic mispelled burn politics..but..a spanking all the same.
I love to suggest to those to-.Quit whinning-and get with the big plan-each year we are going FURTHER into our role in shaping generations and a culture..get off yer duff and FUCKING PARTICIPATE or move back to RUSSIA you whinners.. ( sayz I ) and ..."Waaaaaaa BM wont hand me a mystical experiance!! Wheres my personal BEAUTIFUL moments? What does it all mean? Its so sucky if It isnt drenched in an easy to read- no reflection package! Larry , WHY?? WHY LARRY! ? "" Waaaaaaaaa!!!"

Call A " Waaambulance" for the theme skitish burners ...but I think they might come around ..HOPEFULLY with out some shitty WAR SUCKS or BUSH IS A DICK or hokey RED WHITE AND BLUE fire work circle jerk of redundant easy to read grant supplied crap fest- and some REAL creativity with possitive flow will emerge for a change of pace.
Look for my hopefull grant sponsered attempt- that is iffff I can get offa my ass and offa the e-playa long enough to create a proposal.

At first I to balked to the point of up chucking my Tecate at this current concept of a theme..I whined and groaned like a " Theme-meme" but then on my ride home..alone..in a radio deficiant jeep full of dust and camp stuff..I had nothing but the concept to mull over and I saw a potential for REAL creative oppertunity ..An thats what America is..What YOU MAKE IT as is Burningman.
How you gonna burn?

The desert is filled with mirages
a mirage is a temporary vision of impossibility- a trick of the mind usually brought on by reflection..
If you hate the theme..just remember that its only a MIRAGE...

Thats
got fire?

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:51 pm

See, I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of people have never heard of or don't really have a clue what the "American Dream" even is. It's a dream that they came up with in this country, that kinda caught on overseas and drew a bunch of people here, that folks have been passing down for generations, that France immortalized with a statue, etc. Read Emma Lazarus' inscription as it's a pretty good reminder.

Now I have to admit I'm not surprised that people from other places don't have a clue what it is. Their ancestors decided to stay home and didn't bother repeating it to their children. But I think it's a little sad that that particular dream has been forgotten by the children and grandchildren of ones who dreamed it.

I blame television. Then again, I almost always blame television. It's a pretty decent scapegoat, don't you think?
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

Return to “Philosophical Center”