Will/has Paul torn us apart?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Will/has Paul torn us apart?

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Certainly the premature burn has sparked a lot of passion. People have very strong opinions. Does it matter? What is this doing, not on the macro scale of the whole event, but on the microscale of individual connections, of camps and couples? Is anyone fighting this argument so heatedly that direct connections are endangered? Will you be camping with a different group next year in part because you just can't stand the idea of breaking bacon with someone who opposses his break to restore the event? Just can't sleep next to the cutie who doesn't agree the guys a loser? Or is the whole thing, like Badger states, just a little ripple in the pond?
I do know that I see friends of mine espousing opinions that seem just seem stupid and I cringe and remind myself that it's really not as important as the warmth and trust we've developed. And sometimes I feel that little bit betrayed. Will things realign, or just shake on back to normal?

Thoughts?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:16 pm

I don't waste and of my remaining brain cells thinking about addis-hole. I just don't... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:27 pm

its a very polarizing issue, most big ones are, but not only is it a year away to be forgotten until the next burn but i dont see much of a direct correlation between online behaviour and face-to-face.

it will pass, with little effect on personal relationships.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm

also: just before and after the event are the two highest periods of controversy.

really, wait a couple of months and you will see some other random issue getting focus. multiply that out over a year and its not going to be nearly as big of a deal for most.

most people have the memory and attention span of a commercial or news blurb.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Were we ever really "together"?
Fight for the fifth freedom!

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:14 pm

I think you have to be pretty cynical to genuinely appreciate the arson, in which case, you have already separated yourself from the event and from most of the community. On the other side, you'd have to be pretty paranoid to view the act as much more than the selfish act of a tweaker.

I've posted it elsewhere already, but I believe it's worth restating here, the reception of the restored man was euphoric, and the Saturday burn was absolutely outstanding. For those who were there, the events of earlier in the week were easy to forget.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:16 pm

"Paul" who? :wink:

I seem to be with the majority on this one-- it wouldn't have much of a lasting impact. The discussion seems to be dying down already.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

BoxaRox

Post by BoxaRox » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I thought that when The Man burns, the event was over and people go home.

Obviously, that didn't work.... they just put up another man.

So what if next year, after they burn The Man on Saturday night, someone puts up another one so Sunday morning he's back!

Keep putting up new Men and Burning Man could go on forever!!

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:19 pm

I won't let the actions of some crazy dude or other peoples' opinion of the actions affect my personal relationships. I'm capable of being friends with people I occasionally disagree with. The harsh words thrown about have revealed how judgemental some people can be, but it's just random chance that this happened to be the subject to bring it out. It's probably best to get these things out in the open sooner or later anyway.

Placement of shade structures and disagreements about proper kitchen etiquette had a much greater affect on my camp's cohesion this year than anything Paul or BMORG could do.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:28 pm

I agree with the majority on this. It will pass. I loved the the early Burn and thought it captured some wonder I don't normally get with the Saturday Burn, but think the arsonist is an idiot who will get his punishment in court.

Like Dork said, I think intra-camp issues have a much bigger effect on peoples relationships than anything else happening on the playa.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:23 pm

No

It's going to be alright.

skygod

Post by skygod » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Paul Addis would bother me if I ever thought about him.
He deserves that ultimate ignominy.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Just saw this of Addishole caught in the act.......

http://www.amandafritz.com/node/1253
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Burners would rather bitch and kvetch than almost anyhting else. I know, Im partly guilty of it. But, interesting, I posted a thread encouraging people to say something nice and positive about all the amazing art and music that was out there this year, and not a single person has posted a reply yet. Maybe too early, I hope so.

Maybe when we spend so much time on-line we become like Gollum and being self-absorbed negative creeps comes naturally after our soul has withered away.

Adieu

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 pm

anybody have one of them cool Wanted poster type things featuring mr arson himself. Mine was misplaced. I will gladly trade and barter for what it takes.

later

skygod

Post by skygod » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote: we spend so much time on-line we become like Gollum and being self-absorbed negative creeps comes naturally after our soul has withered away.
We are like brains in jars connected to each other by little wires.
But I think our souls are still ok there in the jars too.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Maybe Teo del Fuego needs to set a better example of positivity.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

BAS

Post by BAS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:17 pm

skygod wrote:
Teo del Fuego wrote: we spend so much time on-line we become like Gollum and being self-absorbed negative creeps comes naturally after our soul has withered away.
What the--?!? My brain jar is labeled "Pickles" and my soul jar "Olives"?!! For cryin' out loud, could they have bought NEW jars????!

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:23 pm

skygod wrote:

\/
sorry man i sold your soul on ebay.. i realy needed that jug of mad dog 20/20..

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Is that what you bought with the money I paid for that thing?

By the way... when it finally got here, the stuff in that jar looked more like old toe nails and lint. I think you doctored the pic.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:15 am

Well, I hope you gave him a bad rating as a seller then.
The Lady with a Lamprey

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:29 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:I posted a thread encouraging people to say something nice and positive about all the amazing art and music that was out there this year, and not a single person has posted a reply yet.
Ya did a good job of hiding it! Anyway, there's plenty of love flowing on these boards. Where things show up is always a bit random. Don't take it personally.

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:31 am

skygod wrote:We are like brains in jars connected to each other by little wires.
Not me man. I'm free range.

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:08 am

sputnik wrote:No

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:52 am

LeChatNoir wrote:Is that what you bought with the money I paid for that thing?

By the way... when it finally got here, the stuff in that jar looked more like old toe nails and lint. I think you doctored the pic.
\/
you didn't read the disclaimer.. the picture was "like".. i had to use phil's to show.. skygod's soul is just what it looks like..

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:02 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Maybe Teo del Fuego needs to set a better example of positivity.
Like starting a new thread in 2007 Art and Performances called "Positive Vibe about Great Art and Acts"? The thread I mentioned in my previous post?

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:31 am

So, they just happened to have materials handy to rebuild the man after the "accident". What an interesting coincidence. How many artists keep materials for rebuilding their art? The mystery continues.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:39 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:So, they just happened to have materials handy to rebuild the man after the "accident". What an interesting coincidence. How many artists keep materials for rebuilding their art? The mystery continues.
Damn, does everything have to be turned into a freakin conspiracy? Sheesh. Have you ever heard of the work ranch? You know, the piece of property that the ORG had to fight the county over permits a couple of years back? Besides having shop space it's also got storage containers with supplies stockpiled out there. Considering all the other stuff that DPW builds it seems likely that they would have had enough wood on hand to build it, and if not a trip to Reno would have filled in anything on the list they were missing.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

AKAparttime
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: some times Outpost Tokyo

Post by AKAparttime » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Thay may,have run out of wood... look at the 7th rib on Man B!

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Hey, an idea..how about we stop saying this guy's name and making him pseudofamous and just call him "the arsonist" (lowercase) instead?

I mean, why glorify and lionize someone for endangering people and destroying something he did not create?

Just an opinion.

Return to “Philosophical Center”