New Season of BURNcast Begins!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
DaBomb

New Season of BURNcast Begins!

Post by DaBomb » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am

================================================

BURNcast #56 - The 8/28 BURNcast Report
http://nospectators.com/index.php?page=burncast

================================================

This episode explores citizen/participatory media at Burning Man 2007 with focus on the coverage of the torching of the Burning Man effigy early during the week of the festival.

Take the poll at our blog: http://blog.myspace.com/burncast
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
http://www.BURNcast.tv

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:22 pm

After my experiences this year with cameras and media.. about 95% negative I am of the opinion that cameras should be smashed when used without subjects permission. I've listened to your show and feel that you should be one of the few exceptions to media at BM. The rest of those fucking tourists can be drawn and quartered for all I care.

I really hope you didn't spin what Ahole did on Mon night towards prankdom. It just wasn't as classy as hangin balls on the man. In fact it wasn't classy at all. Good luck with your new season.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Toolmaker wrote:After my experiences this year with cameras and media.. about 95% negative I am of the opinion that cameras should be smashed when used without subjects permission..
Although I agree, remember that the prosecution of Mr. Early Burn will lead to even more forced compliance with regular laws. Smashing people's property won't be the same as it used to be on-playa(or so I've heard).
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

DaBomb

Post by DaBomb » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Toolmaker! Great to hear from you here.
Toolmaker wrote:After my experiences this year with cameras and media.. about 95% negative I am of the opinion that cameras should be smashed when used without subjects permission.
Would you mind sharing what experiences you had this year?
Toolmaker wrote:I've listened to your show and feel that you should be one of the few exceptions to media at BM.
I'm curious as to why BURNcast gets to be the exception?
Toolmaker wrote:I really hope you didn't spin what Ahole did on Mon night towards prankdom.
As stated in the latest episode, BURNcast is focused on "human interest" stories. I have tons of folks -- artists, participants, corporations, and "tourists", et.al -- that we talked to. Unfortunately, I think there maybe only two recordings that don't mention the "incident" because it had not yet occurred.

I'm curious as to how (if it all) to cover the "Early Burn" and Paul Addis' alleged involvement with the crime. As the last listener comment on the show said "Ignore this!"

I'm not sure if I agree with that. It did happen, after all. We did not create the controversy. Does one ignore Timothy McVeigh or John Hinckley Jr? Is this the same as the Paris Hilton or Anna Nicole sagas? I heard Adrian of Piss Clear joke that this is the "9/11" of Black Rock City and there is some sort of ironic truth to that. People feel really strongly about it.

At any rate, just looking for feedback. Feel free to call it at 775-363-5861 or leave some comments on this thread.
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:23 am

DaBomb wrote:Hi Toolmaker! Great to hear from you here.
Toolmaker wrote:After my experiences this year with cameras and media.. about 95% negative I am of the opinion that cameras should be smashed when used without subjects permission.
Would you mind sharing what experiences you had this year?
Toolmaker wrote:I've listened to your show and feel that you should be one of the few exceptions to media at BM.
I'm curious as to why BURNcast gets to be the exception?
Toolmaker wrote:I really hope you didn't spin what Ahole did on Mon night towards prankdom.
As stated in the latest episode, BURNcast is focused on "human interest" stories. I have tons of folks -- artists, participants, corporations, and "tourists", et.al -- that we talked to. Unfortunately, I think there maybe only two recordings that don't mention the "incident" because it had not yet occurred.

I'm curious as to how (if it all) to cover the "Early Burn" and Paul Addis' alleged involvement with the crime. As the last listener comment on the show said "Ignore this!"

I'm not sure if I agree with that. It did happen, after all. We did not create the controversy. Does one ignore Timothy McVeigh or John Hinckley Jr? Is this the same as the Paris Hilton or Anna Nicole sagas? I heard Adrian of Piss Clear joke that this is the "9/11" of Black Rock City and there is some sort of ironic truth to that. People feel really strongly about it.

At any rate, just looking for feedback. Feel free to call it at 775-363-5861 or leave some comments on this thread.
Well to answer your first question..

My very first chance to get to play with Cheesys fire cannon and some jerk in an RV parks and proceeds to FILM me for awhile. After awhile I was getting upset and decided to run the fucker out of our neighborhood with some profanity. I would have done far worse but wanted to be well behaved and not cause any trouble. Especially since LE was already called to Gigsville that night since someone was pissy about the existance of the CarBQue. Fear of negative reprisal was the only thing that allowed this jerk to film without my permission. I did see this RV a few times here and there thoughout the week and heard from camp/village mates about similar incidents. Aside from that one nasty incident dozens of pictures were taken by people not in our village without my being asked. I'm kinda glad I didn't have a nice set of tits hangin out else I imagine I would have had more probs with tourist types.

The exception for BurnCAST IMO is mainly due to the by burners for burners thing you have goin on. I still havent gotten to listen to the entire episode but with past episodes you have always covered some great camps and done wonderful interviews. I got the giggles after realizing that the Killbuck interview wasn't flawed with beeps. Nice touch counting the times community was used. Though it did make one wonder how much scripting was done there...

It had to be covered.. just not slanted as mainstream media needs to do. There is a point IMO when something gets done to death, I hope at some point we can "Ignore This!" and move on. The man was gone for awhile, the entire community was affected in a bad way. I can't even count how many times I was lounging in the small dome and heard folks walking along C street comment about being lost without the man for a reference point. I wasn't in that position since I had limited ability to do the walking thing and when I did I had Uberman to guide me home. I probably feel stronger because of who did it. If it were some random fratboy it would almost be expected. But someone that had the honor of working with the man in the past, someone who had enough of a sense of humor at one point to put a set of nuts on him, such a long way down to fall. I am aware of the animosity, legal crap about the name, etc etc.. alot of things could have been done to start some sort of revolt or protest but burning other peoples stuff is just a bit too much. I heard alot of GREAT ways to show disgust toward the commodification of BM with the pavilion. Price tags guns putting prices on shit was a good one. Going in there rubbing ones lubed up junk on stuff was another. Setting the pavilion on fire damaging someone elses property is bullshit. I am somewhat disgusted when folks try to justify it. All I can say is that I am glad I am not on tribe since here its alot more peaceful with only a dozen threads about it.

Anyway.. enough ranting and raving.. Love the show

When are you going to cover the rumor that Uberman will have a large flamethrower pointing toward the man next year?
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

DaBomb

Post by DaBomb » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:24 am

Toolmaker wrote:Well to answer your first question.

Sorry to hear about your encounters with disrespecting camera totin' boobs. It doesnt surprise me, though. I had some issues this year, not to mention in year's past as well.

Toolmaker wrote:I got the giggles after realizing that the Killbuck interview wasn't flawed with beeps. Nice touch counting the times community was used. Though it did make one wonder how much scripting was done there...
That episode was done by Chai Guy. However, I was there. I never saw a script, but that isn't to say it was a performance by the inimitable Killbuck. (':wink:')

Toolmaker wrote:I had Uberman to guide me home.
As did I. One night, tired of staying up til the darkest hour volunteering on "Green Shoes" I fell down practically on my knees praising Uberman for shining his blessed light to guide me home.

When are you going to cover the rumor that Uberman will have a large flamethrower pointing toward the man next year?
Scooby snort: Hrmmmmf?

I vote for YOU to cover that story, citizen! BURNcast is all about participatory journalism. Scoop it for the community (drink!). I wanna hear all about it, too!

As for covering the "incident", all I can say is that the story will continue to unfold for a long time with court trials, possible lengthy jury delibrations and appeals, etc. This story with all its stages is going to take a long time to tell. It did and continues to have an enormous impact on the Community and the event. Let's see how it shakes down. But keep your spirits up...there's enough good stuff coming up on BURNcast to turn that frown upside yo head!
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb

Return to “Philosophical Center”