Paul Addis in court September 25

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
M-Files

Paul Addis in court September 25

Post by M-Files » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:41 am

Lots of ePlaya chat about this guy and his case: whether we love him, hate him, should or shouldn't he have, etc etc etc.

Last I heard, he was scheduled for a court appearance on September 25.

Anybody know what happened? No secret, lawyer-client priviledged info is needed - just what is on the public record.

If it was reported anywhere (ePlaya or news), I can't find it.

Curiously,
m

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 pm

<crickets>
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Has anyone else tried salvia?

oh. shit. sorry. wrong thread.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 pm

nothing yet, but my guess is someone will post whatever becomes public record soon.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:05 am

Bob wrote:<crickets>
<tweekersbabblingonvideos>

ALICEtheGOON

Post by ALICEtheGOON » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:23 pm

<tweekersbabblingonvideos> <----thats classic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:53 pm

ha ha.
um ...
i didn't get it. actually. oh well

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:26 pm

So will the Yankees win the World Series this year?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Kinetic V wrote:So will the Yankees win the World Series this year?
I'm rootin for the Sox.

Burner till death

Post by Burner till death » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 am

When it is time for Mr. Addis to be sentenced i see the court being overwhelmed with letters both ways?

tough situation for a judge to be in. or maybe not.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:44 am

I believe it was an arranment, not a trial. So unless he pled guilty, there's no sentence.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Burner till death

Post by Burner till death » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:56 am

I should have written more clearly - IMHO I believe that Mr. Addis will do time unless he is so mental he gets off ofr that.

I think ultimately there will be a sentencing hearing, thats what i was referring too.

cheers ;)

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Does anyone know what he's even been charged with? IF he's even been charged?

My guess - he'll get charged with Felony Arson, it'll get pleaded to Misdemeanor destruction of property or Malicious Mischief, he'll have to pay a fine (probably stiff as he was dumb enuff to get caught and essentially broadcast a confession of sorts) and do shitloads of community service, and maybe a bit of jail - maybe. Since no one who was endangered seems to be stepping up to the plate, there won't be any of the endangerment angles... He may even play off the "attractive nuisance" angle. Never know.

Hell, he may swing a deal to work in Pershing County providing legal assistance to those who can't ortherwise afford it, or maybe they'll work out some kind of thing between PC and the towns of Gerlach and Empire in Washoe Conty and the Paiute Nation and he could do the same for the locals. Remember - jail costs money - better to use him to *save* the county money for other things (like maintaining the PC part of Jungo Road...)

Ya know what? The fuck did it. It's over. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal. And maybe, just maybe, some good will come out of it. THAT'S what I hope.

Now returning you back to your regularly scheduled second burn...
bb

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:32 pm

He'll have to convince people that no one was endangered. I think that's where most of his defense will focus. Personally, I don't think it will be successful.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Hell, he may swing a deal to work in Pershing County providing legal assistance to those who can't ortherwise afford it
different type of attorney, you dont want one specialized in corporate patents to assist a public defender.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:05 pm

Paul who?
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:20 pm

unauthorized effigial immolation = 42 demerits

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Valkyrie wrote:He'll have to convince people that no one was endangered. I think that's where most of his defense will focus. Personally, I don't think it will be successful.
It most likely won't be a successful argument. When the weather in the SF Bay area is nice lots of VFR pilots fly into Half Moon Bay airport from the East Bay. There is one small section of airspace that is part of the SF International airport that is on a direct line from the East Bay. If you do not watch your flight path and charts carefully, it is really easy to enter their airspace. There has never been an accident in that area, but because it is part of the departure and approach path of SFO that little section still must be avoided, if you do not have a clearance. At least two or three times a year the FAA pulls someones lic for entering that airspace without a clearance. They are not interested in the fact that no one was endangered. You simply are informed that you have no lic for several months.
It has been my observation that judges do not rule on what could have happened, only what did happen. And what occured was arson.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Tres Bien, DD, and my point when I made mention that no one has come forward as a credible person (meaning they can show they were there, not some yahoo saying they were ut weren't to try to jack the charges up - they investigate such things) claiming they were endangered by the event that transpired. What happened was Arson, and as such I really expect it to be pleaded down. It's *first* up to the DA to prove that people *were* endangered. Otherwise there's no defense to a potential crime that was not committed in the eyes of the court.

Also it's an excellent example - it's amazing what the FAA will sanction your cert for, but that's a really good one. Like busting 3000 going over the Oakland hills... one of the firstest things I was taught when I started taking lessons. Or spinning your transponder across 7700 when changing squawks. DON'T ask me about that one... :oops:

Didn't know he was a patent attorney - figured he was civil or criminal (WHY do people always assume that??) Regardless, he *does* have a boilerplate knowledge of the law, and (once he's been properly re-barred
}}WHACK! giggles{{ ) he could work as an officer of the court, pro bono, as ordered by herhonor. Which would both be justice (You hate lawyering, Mr. Addis? Think it's a waste of time? Well, guess what, sir...

The problem with courting public opinion is it has no jurisdiction. Whether YOU think, personally, Paul Addis should be paraded as a hero, lynched from a 18 foot high Saguro, or anywhere in between, has as much bearing as to whether you personally think our Current President (Make that White House Resident) should be Impeached or not.

I wanna watch what happens in this case. Just like Sacco and Vanzetti's. Or Scopes'. Or OJ Simpson. Or Scott Peterson. Or Paris Hilton. Or Bonzo the Clown (now, THAT one I may actually *want* to watch...)

bb

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:13 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Regardless, he *does* have a boilerplate knowledge of the law.. he could work as an officer of the court, pro bono, as ordered by herhonor. Which would both be justice (You hate lawyering, Mr. Addis? Think it's a waste of time? Well, guess what, sir...
uhh.. no, he only has knowledge of a small subset of the law so would never be asked to defend someone in that capacity. i doubt he would even be asked to serve community serivce hours as a legal research assistant or office clerk.

Burner till death

Post by Burner till death » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm

If Mr. Addis' heart isnt in it as he is being forced to practice law as punishment I doubt he would give the best advise. If i was a client receiving a public defenders services I might not want his work even if pro-bono?

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:52 pm

If the wages of sin are death,
What if I work Pro Bono?
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 pm

WTF does U2 have to do with it?

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Fuck it.

He could be a law clerk. He has the skillset. But my feeling is, instead of giving him a reasonable punishment, like the one YOU would want if YOU were caught fucking up this bad, you wanna see him DIE for this, right? Am I right?

Would you rather someone benefit from this, maybe learn from his youthful mistakes, or watch a public execution? Make him learn, or kill him? Your choice...

Sus

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Would you rather someone benefit from this, maybe learn from his youthful mistakes, or watch a public execution? Make him learn, or kill him? Your choice...
Suggestions where I might purchase a torch and a pitchfork?
Desert dogs drink deep.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Badger wrote:
At the village store.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Badger wrote:
Why not a flaming pitchfork?

I'm just sayin.. think about it.. easy to make

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Would you rather someone benefit from this, maybe learn from his youthful mistakes, ...
Youth? The guy is a retired patent attourney...
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:19 am

A patent attorney? That explains so much. Anyhow it's a shame that a mind that was smart enough to make the bar is wasted on planning ways to torch other people's property.

Make sure that pitch fork has no less than 5 tines....anything less has too wide of spacing and won't be painful enough.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:...you wanna see him DIE for this, right? Am I right?

fuck yeah! whats the burningman dress equivilent of white sheets and pointy hats?

Return to “Philosophical Center”