guess who's coming to dinner?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

guess who's coming to dinner?

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:18 am

Our Next President, Barack Obama....

if they dont shoot him first, of course.

Obama by 15 points in N. Hampshire.
Frida Be You & Me

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:55 am

Hillary is running a "National" campaign...it won't necessarily be defined by wins in Iowa and New Hampshire. Obama will likely run out of money in the end and won't be able to compete.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:45 pm

I think people are starting to view Hillary Clinton as an ordinary, corrupt, power-mongering career politician. Her campaign people recently referred to "The Clinton brand." The Clinton brand. She's not a leader, she's a product. Or a dynasty, like the Bushes. When she came to NY people speculated it that she was trying to amass power to run for President and she promised them that she wasn't simply using them as a political stepping stone...
...then she ran for President. She has taken a ton of money from special interests and owes a lot of political favors. People are tired of that.

I'm not sure if people know what to think about Obama yet, except he's Not Them. Edwards is coming across as an ambulance chaser with a screwed-on hairdo who lives in a 26,000-foot mansion, but whose wife is said to have given up tangerines in the name of the environment, and he claims to be speaking for the middle class.

However, you could put all of the candidates' names in a bottle, shake it until somebody randomly falls out, and you'd still do better than what we've got now. I'm actually feeling a little optimistic!

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I like Obama simply for the reason that he is not a "good ole boy". He's not tied into the myriad of corruption and greed that the majority of the 60+ white male politicians are. He seems to be genuine enough to want to make some real changes for the better. It's about time we stopped voting for the "most experienced" person for president since it turns out that those are the guys who are fucking us over again and again.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:52 pm

BitterDan wrote:I like Obama simply for the reason that he is not a "good ole boy". He's not tied into the myriad of corruption and greed that the majority of the 60+ white male politicians are. He seems to be genuine enough to want to make some real changes for the better. It's about time we stopped voting for the "most experienced" person for president since it turns out that those are the guys who are fucking us over again and again.
According to news reports yesterday, that's one of the reasons support for Hillary Clinton might be faltering; younger generations don't trust boomers anymore than they trust those who or older. Whatever pundit ( a woman) also said that younger women and modern feminists don't give a damn so much that she's a woman because they weren't exposed to the sort of sexual suppression and discrimination that Clinton's generation faced.

As for the Republicans, I think there's sort of an opposite thing going on: McCain seems to be the only one with any public dignity a lot of times, and his opponents are banging on him for his age. Where Obama represents relatively untarnished reputation and younger, progressive ideals, McCain represents experience and the wisdom of an elder.

Interesting paradox. I doubt either is quite right but there's potential merit in both.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:58 pm

I like McCain too. I mean, the guy was a freakin war hero. However, I completely disagree with him on the stances of drugs and abortion. McCain believes in prolonging this foolish prohibition and also believes that abortion shouldn't be performed under any circumstance.

Obama, on the other hand, supports abortion rights and would be the first president to have actually admitted trying drugs. Frankly, I don't trust people who have never tried drugs.

erri2000

Re: guess who's coming to dinner?

Post by erri2000 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:Our Next President, Barack Obama....

if they dont shoot him first, of course.

Obama by 15 points in N. Hampshire.
—-Theory—

I think, that the Republicans think, that they have a better shot at beating a black man than a white women with the American voting public today.

—End Theroy— [Cite]
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I think that America is ready for a black president or a woman president. The good news, we'll find out this year.

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: guess who's coming to dinner?

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:11 pm

erri2000 wrote:
—-Theory—

I think, that the Republicans think, that they have a better shot at beating a black man than a white women with the American voting public today.

—End Theroy— [Cite]
The event in the straits of Hormuz has me wondering what Iran was up to. Not a good thing is effect the voting and may have persueded NH voters to vote McCain. then what if the provocation was not acted out by the Iranians but another country or even us. A war with Iran would definately tilt the elections to Republicans like McCain or Guliani.

"President Bush chastised Iran on Tuesday for committing a “provocative actâ€

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm

I think at this point it would take Iran attacking us to convince congress and the American people to start another war.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 pm

The video clip made it quite clear that it was a provocative act. Next time around instead of seeing video of the speedboats getting so close I hope we see columns of smoke and debris floating on the water where the speedboats used to be.

Shoot first, ask questions later. Remember the USS Cole...no repeat performances.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 am

were those "swift boats" by any chance?
Frida Be You & Me

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am

Kinetic V wrote:The video clip made it quite clear that it was a provocative act. Next time around instead of seeing video of the speedboats getting so close I hope we see columns of smoke and debris floating on the water where the speedboats used to be.

Shoot first, ask questions later. Remember the USS Cole...no repeat performances.
Kinetic... I have a friend attached to that fleet. We may not *see* "columns of smoke and debris" but... Last summer some terrorists hijacked a tanker and killed the entire crew. The SEALs staged an invasion of the ship but rather than get into a close-quarter gunfight they sped up to the ship as if to board (sending the terrorists to their fighting positions), and then simply drove the zodiac around it, attached charges and sped away. As soon as they were clear, *BOOM* Sank the entire tanker where it sat. Didn't bother to report it to the news.

Rockin' According to Pastafarian science, the earth just got a little warmer.

The one that was full of chemicals that they -didn't- sink made news because they couldn't eliminate the problem without creating an environmental disaster and so they had to try other tactics.

-c

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 am

BitterDan wrote:I think that America is ready for a black president or a woman president. The good news, we'll find out this year.
Or a priest, or a Mormon. A first something...

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:18 pm

zogby has Obama by 2 in Texas, by 1 in Ohio.

i hope to god hillary does the right thing if she loses tomorrow.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:30 am

here we go again.....1968 all over again.......except this time we get a Female Hubert Humphrey...

And an old Crotchety Nixon.

prepare for the worst......Thanks Hillary, you're truly a cunt to be reckoned with.
Frida Be You & Me

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am

BitterDan wrote:I like Obama simply for the reason that he is not a "good ole boy". He's not tied into the myriad of corruption and greed that the majority of the 60+ white male politicians are. He seems to be genuine enough to want to make some real changes for the better. It's about time we stopped voting for the "most experienced" person for president since it turns out that those are the guys who are fucking us over again and again.
Isn't that the definition of an experienced politician?
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:10 am

obama 61% swillary 38% in Wyoming Caucuses.

i have been a partisan democrat for 20 years...I was a Delegate to the democratic convention in 1992 for gov. jerry Brown.

and i'll be damned if i vote for that cunt, Hillary if she wins the nomination.

i'll stay home, i wont work for the dems at all, they can go suck on her poison nipples.

she is the worst piece of self-aggrandizing trailer trash to come down the pike that i have ever seen.....Even bill wont fuck her.

Go Obama GO!.....stick to the high road, and FUCK THAT BITCH, SHE'S GOING DOWN IN PENNSYLVANIA.

ahhhhhh....i feel MUCH better now, take the kitchen sink strategy hillary, and shove it up your big butt.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 am

Box Burner wrote:
Isn't that the definition of an experienced politician?
Probably more apt to say "talented".

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:09 pm

oh my god....i must not have had my morning cigarette or something....i just read my own post.....i'm sorry hillary, some people like a little junk in the trunk, and i'm sure there's a web site or two dedicated to girls wit back...

thats not the point, and i digress...i'm an intellectual guttersnipe.

i've become a drug-addled, new age, elitist Archie bunker...

i'm so ashamed....

ehhhh.....when in rome, Quadruple park.

Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 04, 2008 8:40 am

Obama by 8 in N.C. Obama by a cunt hair in the Hoosier State....absentee and early ballots the clincher.
Frida Be You & Me

djsiago

Post by djsiago » Mon May 05, 2008 4:21 pm

hilary is going to win i know it !

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 pm

If they keep talking against personal defense, they're going to give away another election to the republicans.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue May 06, 2008 6:38 am

i trust zogby's numbers more than anyone else, and latest is obama by 11-14 in N.C. and by 2 in indiana, but still a statistical dead heat.

the big question is, if this is the case, will that cunt finally drop out or will she be forced to by the soon to be constant drum beat of defecting superdelegates, and super-duper delegates.

the latter she's a pariah, the former she saves face...

is she that stubborn and pigheaded as to make this a floor fight over credentials or some bullshit?.....possibly....

is she that stupid?

certainly not....

i used to respect her and her hubby begrudgingly, but with a sincere bow and curtsy to His (Their?) presidency and it's successes here and abroad.

now i just hate the bitch.......However, she could change that with just one gracious word...

"uncle"....
Frida Be You & Me

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 am

Well now this is a pleasant surprise.

This is more civil than the Politics Tribe.
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm

now if she'll just move her big ass fast enough, the door wont hit her on the way out...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387919.stm
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 am

Obama in the fall by a landslide......

Let's win big for the Tedster.....
Frida Be You & Me

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:31 pm

he only wins with Hillary on his ticket

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed May 21, 2008 8:20 pm

what, and bring her polarizing negative baggage that even the best democratic sherpas just dont want to schlep.

fuck her....we will win in SPITE of her.....

and by a considerable margin......do you really think all of those women supporting Hillary out there are going to suddenly become republican because a woman isnt going to be president?

once you go obama, you never want yo' mama....
Frida Be You & Me

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 pm

just my opinion.

exit polls indicate that is whats going to happen - more Obama voters will vote for Hillary, than Hillary voters for Obama.

So she has a better chance of beating McCain in November. I would bet that together they are guaranteed the whitehouse.

They are more alike than different, christ they are in the same party. Their campaigns appear to be for the actual presidency rather than the nomination. That race has not even begun yet.

Meanwhile the GOP sits back and banks hundreds of millions to unleash once they know who they are running against.

At this point, I just want it over. I dont like 20 month long campaigns.

Return to “Philosophical Center”