Big Rig Jig @ Coachella Festival = Death of BM ?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Big Rig Jig @ Coachella Festival = Death of BM ?

Post by nocturnal_steve » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:04 pm

While it's great that BRJ was set up at the Coachella festival, I fear that it is going to expose and attract a number of virgins who expect something like this http://www.coachella.com/visitors/onsite-lodging at Black Rock.

Coahella is fine, giving independent bands a chance to perform...

Coahella is also:

-Outside Food not allowed so they can sell you more stuff ..
-Sunglasses, visors hats, sunscreen & food is sold.
-A place where the focus is on "the groups", they are the attraction as opposed to BRC where WE are the attraction.

I am sure some Coahella attendee's will wind up at BM. I hope they will recognize the nuances and differences and participate at BRC.

Over all, BM was better xxx years ago when it I first started it (it was not Larry Harvey et al as commonly believed) .......... I was alone at Coney Island beach in Brooklyn, and threw the first paper cup full of lighter fluid into my camp fire as I beat my drum, than preceded to scale the Parachute Jump where upon reaching the top strung Christmas Lights around it, finally repelled nude down the thing into the waiting seat of a bumper car to a round of applause..... sigh..... THOSE were the days.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 pm

My girlfriend is at Coachella right now...I saw the site map, it even has the Big Rig as a small icon. I don't think it's the death of BM though :) It may attract a minimal amount of "party-go-happy" types, but 1) What city doesn't?, and 2) Maybe being out in the dust for a week may convert the folks into looking deeper and being more appreciative of their surroundings :D
☕ COFFEE CAMP:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.:🔥)'(🔥:.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:54 pm

hahahaa...thats what I say about the KIWI burn...
GRASS????? WATER???? what the hell????

still wanna go to a kiwi burn thou...shuffle shuffle
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 pm

How many times has Burning Man died already?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

emotion_sickness
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp in 2007

Post by emotion_sickness » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Coachella has been recycling old Burning Man art for at least the past 2 years...I dont remember what the name of the installation was, but it was from BM 2006, looked like an alien of some sort and you could climb up inside it...it was set up at Coachella 2007 and was featured on their website. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing, we all get to see it first (yay us!), and then it gets exposed to a wider audience of Defaultia citizenry at coachella.

Now, when we start getting second-hand musicians from last year's Coachella, maybe then we need to be worried...

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 pm

When the BRC LLC starts offering tents like these that the Coachella folk do:
These are the highest end of elegance and sophistication with luxury interiors, fully furnished with a king bed, linens, tables, carpet, pillows, chairs, AIR conditioning and more.
that's would be the point I think we've jumped the shark. Until then... "pfeh, Burning Man was better next year"
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 am

Valet Camp does that, along with a prefab theme, etc.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 am

No wonder I was dreaming that we'd rented a nice little bungalow fitted out with really nice oriental art right on the Esplanade ... I'd been reading this thread.

Now I have to figure out why I was wearing a red paisley quilted satin housecoat and shoes with no socks in the dream.

troyds

Post by troyds » Tue May 06, 2008 8:20 pm

I checked the Coachella website. OMG! Who's gonna pay their prices for a cute little tent, etc. Talk about a select group of money babies. Fuck that. What a waste.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 pm

How much were the safari tents?

troyds

Post by troyds » Wed May 07, 2008 6:36 am

Gyre,

Here are the prices for their tent hotels.

$700 2 person size tent - (includes 2 onsite camping wristbands)
$1400 4 person size tent - (includes 4 onsite camping wristbands)
$2100 6 person size tent - (includes 6 onsite camping wristbands)

I suppose if the wrist bands are equal to tickets then the prices are a little less and more acceptable. The thing is that the focus of this event is the same old thing-- it highlights the stage not the people attending. It doesn't ask the question, "What are you going to contribute or participate in or what question are you going to pose in theory for the temporary social experiment that may or may not improve or move community? All I'm getting from the Coachella website is that it's a place to go and get entertained. It's probably fun, but has no real appeal to me. I like the idea of seeing thousands of people, real people, trying to do something, trying to be something in their life. Not just a bunch of slack jawed zombies walking around to get somebody to give them another entertainment fix. Fuck that. Would somebody turn the fucking TV off and do something other than be some sort of sensory excited tube voyeur.
Jesus, I better stop typing, but no, I don't think Coachella is even on the same page as BM.

Ok that's it, time to watch American Idol. LOL!

T

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed May 07, 2008 9:21 am

Those are the cheap tents.
I was wondering about the safari tents.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 am

As long as its coachella getting the sloppy seconds, I'm not worried. I also doubt that foklks who pay $700 for a coachella tent would want to camp in the heat and dust for a week. I could be wrong.

BM is like any other "revolution" in that its inherent characteristics get watered down as it spreads out into the world. Totally inevitible.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 am

Safari tents= $4000 each
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

troyds

Post by troyds » Wed May 07, 2008 3:01 pm

$4000.00 ?? Ok, that's bad. I don't want to talk about it anymore. It's like the ANTI-BURNING MAN experience.

That's just terrible...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed May 07, 2008 3:27 pm

I think sci-fi conventions are the anti-burning man, but haven't been to one to see for myself. I intend to rectify that later this year.

TheFunkHole

Post by TheFunkHole » Sun May 18, 2008 11:08 pm

I went down to Coachella this year and couldn't help but jabber on about Burning Man nearly the whole time. *sigh* I probably drove my non-burner friends nuts...

The DoLab was there and really made things feel like a grassy playa, along with some of the art from BM 2007. It was really cool to see the art there, but it was so much better seeing it on the playa.

Coachella:
* See some great bands/DJs/musicians/artists perform and be wowed by the spectacle of southern california music festival, where money rules all and "VIP's" are everywhere.
* The art is corded off so you cannot touch or really get very close at all. (Big Rig Jig, Cubatron, Treehouse were all there this year)
* Pay too much for everything, generate waste and see people trash the grounds every day and night with garbage.
* Heavy security checks every day at the festival and campgrounds. (Some not so heavy)
* Camp in fenced off yard in a designated 7'x7' square per person space.
* rules rules rules, they even had a no costumes rule until last year.
* I did find a "free" water spicket to fill empty plastic bottles and was allowed to bring my own vessel for water the 2nd and 3rd days.
* They do encourage recycling of plastic bottles, collect 10 get one free, people were doing it and it made a big difference except the last few hours of the last night where nobody cared anymore.

I have been to Coachella several times and there is really no comparison to my experience at Burning Man... being far deeper, emotional, uplifting, and enriching. However, seeing some of the bands perform makes it worthwhile if you can stand everything else.

If I had to choose... playa wins hands down.

Is it the death of BM? No... was it cool to see Roger Waters perform Dark Side of The Moon, sitting underneath the Steampunk Treehouse? Yes.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon May 19, 2008 10:01 am

People from the Ren Faire and the fucking Gilroy Garlic Festival show up at BM. What are you expecting people to do?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 19, 2008 11:33 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:People from the Ren Faire and the fucking Gilroy Garlic Festival show up at BM. What are you expecting people to do?
Renounce all other festivals.

Isn't it the first pricipal: Thou shalt take no other festivals!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

d6

Post by d6 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:48 pm

I agree w/FunkHole post, but also feel the "art" @ Coachella helps offset the lame la money hipster doofus scenester types, who would pay the 4k for a BM pre-set-up safari tent if available, but instead they just stay in their giant always running RV's, and complain that BRC sucks.

Do lab and Michael Christian have been @ Coach the past 4 years, the dual tesla coils 7, we've been the past 3. I like seeing their work anywhere, wether its downtown SF, polo fields, or my favorite gallery on earth, Black Rock.

The coachella "artists camp" is prettty much populated by burners, and
we had to defend our camp from a last minute LLC-RV land grab...

And according to another thread, i see that "Burning Man" isnt even a festival, but actually "Satans Birthday pArty", which is somewhat true, as they both exist to make money...which i also hear is the root of all eville.

you say orange,
i say apple,
and we'll both f-ck off in the showers........

d6,
Robolympics casualty
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 pm

People from the Ren Faire and the fucking Gilroy Garlic Festival show up at BM.
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Note: BitterDan lives in Gilroy. :wink:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 am

Hey, me too! I'm a costume slut, what can I say. If it involves costuming I'm there.

I've worked at Ren Faires (as a pirate) and guilds actually build "theme camps" in a sense. Been to Gilroy-- well, for the bicycle tours- they still doing those? and I've even attended scifi cons. Ours "cons" in the Northwest btw are low key, DIY, uber geeky. Mostly up and coming artist and writer and costumer talks versus name brands... and all night parties. The Gnome Garden Party at Norwescon a year ago was legend! Don't drink the blue stuff!

I create Cacophony Society meaningless madness here in pdx whenever I get a chance.

I adore the Oregon Country Faire which ironically enough is all about peace, love music and SHOPPING! No VIP tents yet though, thank DOG!

But I digress, There are many different 'verses to play in.

I don't throw plastic water bottles or leave trash around at any of them. And I am responsible for what energy I bring to the party. I make my own fun.

I personally choose participatory activities rather than than passive entertainment.

Rock Concerts in general, jumped the shark when Bill Graham closed the Fillmore and then Winterland and started doing "Day on the Green".
Yep, I grew up at Winterland. It was like a second "home".

And now Bill's gone too and as Tom Petty says "last DJ" is barely hanging on. (And then Tom went and played the "Stupor Bowl". Talk about betrayal. I could have shot him!)

The bottom line is, places where there are VIP's generally suck. It's all spelled out what venues like Coachella are all about. I just avoid them.

Though Seeing Roger Waters do DSM would have been tempting, but naw. It probably sounds better on vinyl.

As Tiki Mojo says:
Have fun, do good, teach others!
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am

So how is this going to kill Burningman? I thought you had a plan. ;)

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:04 am

Nothing needs to die.
Hopefully people will wisely choose the event/venue that suits them best.

I've finally quit trying to talk all of my weird, assorted friends into coming to Burning Man.

I may love them, and think they'd have a great time, but no. Some are just not suited, or ready, or capable.

They may be fine at home, but many just can't get past the "camping" part.

Some want to be able to "just show up" at events and can't or don't want to create group hallucinations, or temporary autonomous zones. That idea is just too weird for them.

What ever.

I used to really think everyone grew up a girl/boy scout and spent every summer biking or backpacking, (or wanted to anyway). And that everyone else was seeking what I sought-- to create their own reality. Not so.

Especially those that want to be waited on, entertained and made emotionally and physically "comfortable" the whole time-- best to not to bring them to Black Rock City.

Besides, its nice to have somebody who is interested in your stories and photographs, and tell you how awesome and brave and creative you are when you get home.

If I were King- I'd shut down everything each August and make everyone go somewhere different from where they usually are-- but that is just me.

The Spice Must Flow!

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am

My friend Jen won't go because it's camping.
But she'll stay all night in a metal bar!
Seems like a much less cozy environment to me...

Of all the friends I have that go to the rainbow gathering, there's only one that immediately wanted to go.
You can't tell who will want to go.

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 pm

I tease one of my friends endlessly, since she has friends who stage fight with real swords and whips and tend to ride big ole Harleys, and are into BDSM, but she thinks My friends are "scary" and weird!

I'm like... hula hoops and paintbrushes and mutant vehicles- OH MY!
EWTF is scary about that?

....well there was that one time the "wine clowns" showed up with a condom cannon.....

Funny how people see things so differently.

Lucky You Anti M!!!! Lighthouse Guardian! The Lighthouse and the La Contessa and the White whale, and Larry's doubloons (I got to see one once!)!

Seeing that year in pictures and hearing the stories is what made me decide I really had to go before "it "was all over.

Back to the thread:

will BM art being shown at events like Coachella etc, kill BM because "those" people then decide to come to BM?

Will it be over before the Mayan Calendar ends?
Stay tuned , but I think not!

I think BM is more than likely going to change them more than they change "it".

Don't underestimate the power of whatever force made this thing grow....
And personally I'm thankful for it.

Now if the BMorg would just deputize a posse to shoot careless varmits, and litterbugs!

Oh yeah! there's already LEOS!

DO they have anti littering laws on BLM land????... I'd think so.
Put it back to individual responsibility- not the event /BMorg!

Why don't they bust gumby for littering! LOL!

I know, I don't want more LEOS either...just me ranting.....
I'm gunna go have some rum now.

The Spice Must Flow!

OneStepBeyond

Roger waters was good.

Post by OneStepBeyond » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:10 pm

i was at coachella, well just for roger waters.
and this is my first year, i noticed the rig too, but i knew about burning man way before coachella, plus most people at coachella are pretty lame, half of them pass out at the noon day sun, so i doubt they will be eager to show up at bm. and plust bm wont spoil them with portable showers.. lol.
Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Return to “Philosophical Center”