Adding up the cost of Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Hamandegger

Adding up the cost of Burning Man

Post by Hamandegger » Fri May 30, 2008 6:11 am

Lets see, ticket price, van rental, gas, food, beverages, replace damaged gear, time lost from work, ice and coffee money, trade goods, I'm up over two grand. Can't take out a home equity loan, it's gone. Guess I'll be staying home this year. It is not worth it to stroll down those empty alleys of faceless mobile homes. But as I have been told repeatedly, my crew and I will not be missed. My "American Dream", having the time and money to go to Burning Man.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri May 30, 2008 6:30 am

Gas for the SUV which we bought specifically to tow the trailer we bought to haul our shit, been stocking up on non-perishable food all year, costumes all year, solar lights all year, art and art supplies all year, upgrade to the water evap, Wretched Excess accessories like a propane fireplace and a Swarovski crystal chandelier ($22.50). I'm afraid to add it up. At least mylarry has been with Central long enough he gets a couple weeks paid vacation.

Faceless motorhomes? So glad I camp Hushville.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Adding up the cost of Burning Man

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 am

Hamandegger wrote: It is not worth it to stroll down those empty alleys of faceless mobile homes.

GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 am

LOL Captain!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri May 30, 2008 10:51 am

Hamandegger

Do you just get on this web site when your feeling depressed???
'cause NONE of your posts have ANYTHING positive to say...
If you can't afford it and don't like the way that people dress- at the BURN
WHY EVEN BOTHER ??????

STAY HOME AND WHERE YOUR SUIT AND TIE
SPEND YOUR MONEY ON EXTRA FOOD

Love and kisses Barbie (A HOT barely dressed blonde girl)
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Fri May 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Barbie wrote: Love and kisses Barbie (A HOT barely dressed blonde girl)
Hello Barbie. Would you like to make out all night long? It's friday and you ain't got shit to do.
blow.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 30, 2008 5:22 pm

Dammit, why don't I get hot invites like that?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri May 30, 2008 5:42 pm

AntiM wrote:Gas for the SUV which we bought specifically to tow the trailer we bought to haul our shit, been stocking up on non-perishable food all year, costumes all year, solar lights all year, art and art supplies all year, upgrade to the water evap, Wretched Excess accessories like a propane fireplace and a Swarovski crystal chandelier ($22.50). I'm afraid to add it up. At least mylarry has been with Central long enough he gets a couple weeks paid vacation.

Faceless motorhomes? So glad I camp Hushville.
I thought you were in gigsville ????
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 am

Nope, always been a Husher, although one year Hushville was placed directly across from Gigsville. Someone has a warped sense of humor.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am

Barbie wrote:Hamandegger

Eplaya is cheaper than therapy?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 pm

AntiM wrote:
Barbie wrote:Hamandegger

Eplaya is cheaper than therapy?
And he saving up for an underclad cutie who won't say no.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Flammepus

Post by Flammepus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 am

Wow, Ham and Egger, for a guy who isn't ever returning to the playa, you sure seem to like this board! Maybe your post from Tue Sep 04, 2007 should have been, "This was my last burn...but since I am so sure that the Burner Community needs my erudite observations, I will continue to vend my piffle on the e-playa where people might take something I say seriously?"

You're not coming back, think the event sucks now (cause you have been there several times and think you "know what Burningman is all about," I am sure), and then get all pissy-agrassive, err passive-agressive when somebody asks you why you don't just fuck off and leave the community alone? You trip me out, dude.

In the case of Burningman,IMHO, the cost analysis is almost meaningless without a benefits analysis. Attempting to break BM down into the price per gallon on the way there and back? Let's see, do I factor in the mind-bending art that I saw, or a bit of extra-curricular nookie that I had, or meeting up with people from my side of the planet and forming connections, or the awesome feeling of engineering and building a light and simple shade structure that stood up to some seriously big storms without blinking, or seeing friends who I love, or...?

I think that one would be better off adding up what you get out of Burningman, making a decision to go or not based on that, and then make a freakin' budget that won't bust you. It has been done very well before by a whole bunch of people.

Standing on the sidelines and bitching into the internets makes you look like a sourpuss and leaves you with egg on your face...err, wait...

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 am

I agree with Flammepus. Burningman is like a sewer: What you get out of it depends on what you put in to it.

Flammepus

Post by Flammepus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:08 am

[quote="Dr. Pyro"]I agree with Flammepus. Burningman is like a sewer: What you get out of it depends on what you put in to it.[/quote]
You can tell a lot about a community from its sewers:)

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:14 am

Lots of people will never attend Burningman because they can't afford it. No need to make fun of them.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:48 am

There's no need but it's still fun. :D

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

It can be expensive to go but it is well worth it in my mind. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

It doesn't need to be as expensive as some of us make it either but that is our own choice.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:00 pm

I want to say that- that I wasn't making FUN or light of the FACT that the BURN costs ALOT of money and time and energy... and that its WELL WORTH every single penny and breath, heart and tear... and this will be my 6th year and I'm soooooooo VERY THANKFUL I FOUND all of YOU!!!!

'cause you see out in the real world I'd only run into people like
our fellow NASTY eplayan Hamandegger... people who were mean and said mean things.... only exist to rain on other peoples parades... go back and read this guys posts...

I wondered where HAD all the GOOD people gone the Happy people the creative people are they even OUT THERE IN THE WORLD....

Just when I'd given up HOPE of the general Public...
The BURNERS GAVE ME HOPE...
Thank you and I Love YA.... SEe Ya In the DUST!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Ohhhh And just 'cause I don't like clothes dosen't mean I don't KNOW how to say NO.... and its TUesday mor and I ain't got shit to do we SHOULD make out all Day and NIGHT teeee heeeeehhheeeeeee

Pizza pizza pizza and KOOL AID 2008 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm not anxious to make fun of the denizens of the ePlaya either. But my point of view is that if you're going to go to Burning Man it's expensive, and if to go on the cheap is expensive, then to go all-out isn't all that much more expensive. I've heard from some of you on other forums (Hi, Lora) who have, jokingly I hope, told me to go fuck myself. "Fuck you Doc, rich bastard. Just because money's no object for you, think about the rest of us." I'm sorry, but no. We make choices. For me to go to Burning Man, and I'm not even counting the income lost during my "vacation", I blow somewheres between $3000 and $5000. Now this year it won't be as bad as last year (no fireworks thanks to Pershing County's finest) but it will be made up for in gasoline I guess. But when I consider the cost of a 35-foot RV with double slideouts, 30 gallons of wine, rental of the storage shed for all my Goddamn Barbies, food, beer, certain recreants which shall remain nameless, gas, etc. etc. etc. it still seems to be not only worth it, but a bargain! I'm blowing much more than that going to Acapulco next month for five lousy days. I'd much rather be on the playa. And frankly, so would most of you, cost be damned.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Just when I'd given up HOPE of the general Public...
I've still given up hope of the general public, Burning Man just made me realize that there are still some good people out there.
I'm blowing much more than that going to Acapulco next month for five lousy days. I'd much rather be on the playa. And frankly, so would most of you, cost be damned.
I'd rather be in Acapulco at any time when Burning Man is not underway. One can only take so much desert and tropical paradise is a nice change. :D

Seriously though, all vacations cost money. Most of the time they cost more than burning man (assuming you arent running a theme camp or renting an RV). I was looking at going to Jamaica and when the total price came up I said to myself, "Wow, that's it?!?! I spend more than that on alcohol for Burning Man!"

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:30 pm

Barbie wrote:Ohhhh And just 'cause I don't like clothes dosen't mean I don't KNOW how to say NO.... and its TUesday mor and I ain't got shit to do we SHOULD make out all Day and NIGHT teeee heeeeehhheeeeeee

gimmie dat pineapple express baby
blow.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:12 am

I'm sooooooooo excited yea yea yea pizza pizza pizza and kool aid Life is GOOOOODDDDD less than 90 days till we will be in the DUST wooooooohhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Homeward BOUND :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:22 am

VACATIONS cost money... If you ever want to come to Hawaii cheap and camp at the most pristine camp site EVER... I know you all can handle camping.... its right on the Ocean (looks like that computer generated beach
from the movie CONTACT with Jodi Foster) 5 bucks a night per person or rent the shacks for 40-150 ahhhhhh life is GOoooodddd

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:43 am

Shit, going to Burning Man isn't all THAT expensive, I managed to make it happen this year on less than a grand, all told. Well that's a lie, by the time I actually set foot on the Playa it will be around thirteen hundred, there's still shit I haven't bought yet. And I will be not only completely self-reliant, but with a sweet ride, some cool gifts, "party favors" and works of art as well! It's not really about how much money you have though is it? It's about how bad you really want to go, and how much you are willing to put into it. So whether you're filthy rich like the Doc, or a broke-ass writer vagabond tramp like myself, we are all just out there to have a good time with our fellow "Burners" right? Last year I spent almost three grand, and if I had it to blow I'd spend fifty thousand or so and REALLY BLOW EVERYONE'S MIND WITH SOMETHING SPECTACULAR!You can always find a way to make a buck, but Playa memories are FUCKING PRICELESS!
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:45 am

Hawaii for five bucks a night???
Tell me more!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:57 pm

I think $5 is the standard camping fee for state parks in Hawaii. I know we picnic'd in a nice one on Big Island. Google it, perhaps?

Intubater69

Post by Intubater69 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Barbie wrote:VACATIONS cost money... If you ever want to come to Hawaii cheap and camp at the most pristine camp site EVER... I know you all can handle camping.... its right on the Ocean (looks like that computer generated beach
from the movie CONTACT with Jodi Foster) 5 bucks a night per person or rent the shacks for 40-150 ahhhhhh life is GOoooodddd
Hey Barbie, I've camped on 4 of the islands and each was as diverse as the last. 2 that stood out was 6000' up Haleakala where I thanked my lucky stars I brought long johns (yes, in Hawaii!) and at Polihale on Kuaui where I slept on top of my bag on the beach. I had a blast, and by the time I turned in my rental car on Kuaui I was mistaken for Filipino since I hadnt showered in like 2 weeks and had a nice tan going. A successful vaca. I must say, cost me a boatload of money, even camping. And my first BM is gonna cost this poor paramedic another boatload of money, but who the fuck cares, I'm finally gonna make my first burn!!!!! Woo Hoo!! :D
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:50 pm

AntiM wrote:I think $5 is the standard camping fee for state parks in Hawaii. I know we picnic'd in a nice one on Big Island. Google it, perhaps?
I did and now I see a white sandy beach in my not too distant future I think... :twisted:

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 am

ESPRESSO CAMP spent close to ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS each year on coffee that we gifted the last four years, but alas, it is finished. Money well spent.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Return to “Philosophical Center”