Adding up the cost of Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:06 pm

I've never added up the cost of the Home for Wayward Art. Yikes.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 pm

AntiM wrote:I've never added up the cost of the Home for Wayward Art. Yikes.
I don't add up my donations either. But I save so much art and serve as a way station to a happier life.
Have any testimonials from adopters? I guess that Ygmir got one of my donations last year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 pm

We have a piece of wayward art in our back room and it makes me smile every time I see it. Which is most every day.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote:I've never added up the cost of the Home for Wayward Art. Yikes.
I don't add up my donations either. But I save so much art and serve as a way station to a happier life.
Have any testimonials from adopters? I guess that Ygmir got one of my donations last year.
yes, yes I did.....and, I still love it.........not only is it really cool, but, AntiM's HFWA is the best......I'll be bringing a donation or two this year, I gotta find out if rock is accepted..........hard to hang, but then again, doesn't fade.........

thanks fishy, I know some of the story, and, it's cool.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:52 pm

25 grand + over 6 continuous years. Worth every penny.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 am

That's another thing that pisses me off. Like those of us who struggle with the cost don't think it's worth every penny?

I've seen a lot of...condescending on eplaya, from burners who somehow think people who have money issues don't want it enough, or aren't deserving to go in the first place.

If you don't even have to think about what you put into it, that is awesome for you. I always make it a point to thank everybody I meet, associated with a theme camp, no matter how large or small for doing what they do. It boggles my mind, what people put into it - one day, I hope to move to the West Coast and be able to do more than just barely show up.

But until then, Burning Man is fucking expensive as hell, and just because I don't have the money to go it doesn't mean it doesn't matter as much to me, or isn't as important to my mental and emotinal thriving and survival.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 am

_I've_ noticed a lot of woe is me on eplaya recently...

Jus' sayin'
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am

C.f.M. wrote:That's another thing that pisses me off. Like those of us who struggle with the cost don't think it's worth every penny?

I've seen a lot of...condescending on eplaya, from burners who somehow think people who have money issues don't want it enough, or aren't deserving to go in the first place.

If you don't even have to think about what you put into it, that is awesome for you. I always make it a point to thank everybody I meet, associated with a theme camp, no matter how large or small for doing what they do. It boggles my mind, what people put into it - one day, I hope to move to the West Coast and be able to do more than just barely show up.

But until then, Burning Man is fucking expensive as hell, and just because I don't have the money to go it doesn't mean it doesn't matter as much to me, or isn't as important to my mental and emotinal thriving and survival.
Just getting there is often a big part of the "art". I have a collage of RV breakdowns - Fernley, Truckee, Donner Pass, I-5, and the favorite one is the old RV on a tow truck.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Eric wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:there was no spreadsheet, no crunching. It was just let's do it.
I try not to add up what it costs me, but even though I try to go as cheaply as possible I'm still spending close to a grand after the ticket cost. And thats for basics.

*sigh*

No more looking at numbers while unemployed. I would hate to suddenly get responsible and not go (not gonna happen).
Tell me about it. This year I'm not buying anything but water. I have left over food supplies from last year and all the equipment I could possibly need. All I need to do is get myself to Reno and the rest takes care of itself. It's good to be the king.
It was better next year. -Burners

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:58 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:25 grand + over 6 continuous years. Worth every penny.
I work hard at an hourly wage for my $. I'm glad I had $ then to put me in a position where I can still provide welding and repair services to BRC citizens and infrastructure to the camp I am part of. I sure don't have that kind of $ now. My sympathies go out to people struggling to get to the burn. I hope you all make it.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I just try to remind myself of what I took and didn't use... there's enough gear. but I allow one new thing, or two. this year is the trike conversion... (I'm thinking if calling it T-Rikes.) I love living near enough to drive in one day, so that's one huge obstacle I do not have to overcome. I raid my earthquake canned goods that I just sort of add to during the year, maybe $700-750 tops. (not drinking saves a few dollars) This summer I am going to have a big just get rid of the shit garage sale, and reduce the redundancy of my gear, and tool collection.

whaleboy

Post by whaleboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:17 am

does anyone know where I can find the tourist information center on playa? And I've heard the food court is a good place to find a reasonably priced licensed tour guide. I've heard the tour guides can really be a ripoff. I've budgeted a decent amount of money for a good tour guide, but itll only work if I get a fair price.
My God, it's full of Stars!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 am

Elorrum wrote:I just try to remind myself of what I took and didn't use... there's enough gear. but I allow one new thing, or two. this year is the trike conversion... (I'm thinking if calling it T-Rikes.) I love living near enough to drive in one day, so that's one huge obstacle I do not have to overcome. I raid my earthquake canned goods that I just sort of add to during the year, maybe $700-750 tops. (not drinking saves a few dollars) This summer I am going to have a big just get rid of the shit garage sale, and reduce the redundancy of my gear, and tool collection.
We did a project at our regional called NoCostco, in part to get rid of the costumes piling up in the closets. Larry was supposed to get out extra chairs and tents, tools, etc. but all I got out of him was a sleeping bag. Even with a modest art grant for shopping, he balked at giving away tools and gear. My poor, poor packrat.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:21 am

Mmmm....costumes...I have almost four STUFFED bags of them for Costume Camp, at Transformus. I started cleaning out my house when I applied for the job with the Borg, in anticipation of moving to SF, and then just kept going. I know how utterly delighted I am, to find a new treasure, so I hope my offerings delight others.

Getting there is ART, I like that! I am definitely passing that on. Much more positive than "THIS IS !@#$%^& BULLSHIT!!"

Which was our trip last year. :shock:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: costs

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:32 pm

muscarina wrote:hello, does anyone know how much gas costs from LA to BM? anyone ever driven from there?
Is this real? "Has anyone ever driven from there" even trumps the gas question that doesn't mention what sort of vehicle!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

whaleboy wrote:does anyone know where I can find the tourist information center on playa? And I've heard the food court is a good place to find a reasonably priced licensed tour guide. I've heard the tour guides can really be a ripoff. I've budgeted a decent amount of money for a good tour guide, but itll only work if I get a fair price.
They placed the damn thing out in BFE (9:00 and P street).

By "food court" I assume you mean Center Camp cafe. Don't look there for a guide. Everyone goes there so the prices are a total rip. You'll have much better luck at the 3:00 plaza.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 am

Fea, I was randomly gifted a ticket last year and I must say it was one of the best gifts of my life. That said, I'm commited to reach the playa this year, because. I realized it's a place I'm meant to be.

So I'm doing my best hustle on craigslist to barter goods and services to get there, A friend just reminded me that if I keep my thoughts positive, amazing things happen.

So I come here to the ether playa to drink in my fill of playa love, culture, harsh and surliness to remind me, playa magic is real, and when the Man calls, it behooves us to go.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 am

Clar-i-ty, also ask around. People seem to forget that the people you are a great resource. I am being lent several things for the Playa that are really helping to make it less expensive and more comfortable (I think). Like a Marine battery I think its called, another tent, an air mattress, water someone never used from their last camping trip, so on and so forth.

I also found a thrift store here in Houston that after two weeks the item gets marked down, one week later, gets marked down again, etc. etc. I have gotten skirts for $0.88 to $1.50 and a pair of pants at night for $4.00!

Never pay retail! 8)
We break to remind us how to mend.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 am

Fae, i hope the people lending you the stuff know that IF they get their stuff back, it will be borderline trashed and, fer sure, not the same as when it left.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Especially the water.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Travel/ transportation seems to be one of the greatest expenses. I have all the gear necessary, but still can't see getting it done with out spending another 700 on top of the 300 ticket.
(honestly, I got my credit cards paid off just in time for x-mas, ran them back up, and i'm hoping to get them down a bit again, just in time for BM).

We've priced out a week at an all inclusive resort in Mexico for two people, 7 days 6 nights, and it ranges from 1000 bucks to 1200 bucks (for the packages we're looking at). The beach and ocean are great and all, but if I'm gonna spend (600-700), I'm going to BRC!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:05 pm

We have friends who travel a lot. South America, Europe, Africa, China... We were at there house last night and they were talking of their trip to Australia. It looked great, and then they told us (and most directly my partner) that there was another Qantas ticket sale. Real cheap. Wife wants to go to Australia sometime. Me? Too many snakes and spiders, all poisonous. But she wants to go. Can't do both BM and transcontinental travel. And we only live 200 miles from the playa. I bought an ancient RV so she doesn't have to use the portapotties and can shower inside. She really likes BM and plans for it with bike and costume. But I know she want to go to Australia. I'd never dream of stepping on her dream, but I'd rather be at BM, even though it costs as much or more than her trip would. These guys are starting to rub me wrong.

I hate those guys...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 pm

bm this year, and australia next, if you can manage the playa you can manage a few snakes and spiders!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

darcitananda

Post by darcitananda » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 pm

It is expensive to go in the luxury that many people are accustomed to. But imagine just taking a normal camping trip to the desert. Does anyone *need* more than food, water and a sleeping bag? No. Desires are another matter.

Also, I don't even think food costs should be counted, because food is something you would be spending money on anyway (in fact it will be cheaper than daily life because you will do your own "cooking"). It would be interesting to add up all the incidentals we spend money on each week, even just coffee and a [vegan] donut in the morning, gas to drive to work, lunch or a drink with friends, buying an outfit at a thrift shop, etc... and then calculate how many weeks of abstinence would be needed to "afford" a trip to Burning Man. Suddenly, to even to the poorest minimum wage student, I bet it would look very affordable. The biggest expense, for most, would be taking time off work (unpaid time).

Unforeseen emergencies not included, it does seem that anyone who wants to go badly enough can make it happen on a low budget.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Idontwanna additup! I Don't Wanna! I don't! I Don't! I DON'T!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:52 am

a normal camping trip to the desert. Does anyone *need* more than food, water and a sleeping bag? No.

...and that's pretty much what I take - and a bike. And shelter.

Also, I don't even think food costs should be counted, because food is something you would be spending money on anyway (in fact it will be cheaper than daily life because you will do your own "cooking").

Food for Burning Man for me is WAY more expensive than cooking at home. And I have to get it there. I have to get prepackaged (more expensive) food to take to BM, and then be sure I have enough of it (more expensive) to last and nutritionize me for the week. I guarantee, because I've done it before for BM and other burns, food budget for that v. real life is 2-3x more.

$60 IRL = a couple of weeks grocery budget.

$60 burn money = just the likker alone :twisted:

it does seem that anyone who wants to go badly enough can make it happen on a low budget.

Acquiring stuff like tents and supplies is easy on a low budget - I've done/do it. Freecycle, Clist, thrift stores, bartering, borrowing from friends, etc.

Some things, like a plane ticket and transportation, not so much.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:45 am

I think the regret from not going is more costly than going to BM.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Word.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Return to “Philosophical Center”