art cars are stupid

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Post by Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 6:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:perhaps La Contessa was too dirivative to be "genuine" art.
Perhaps the operators of La Contessa had done too much meth to be "genuine" art car drivers...

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri May 21, 2004 8:28 am

So no drugged-out drivers, no speeding, and no Half-Assed Schlockey Low Effort vehicles. I think we are all in agreement. Anything else? Jafe

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Fri May 21, 2004 9:23 am

Genuine was meant as a modifier to artcar. MOST, however, was modifying drivers.

Of course, there's an exception to every rule, except this one:
A man must be present when he's being shaved.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri May 21, 2004 11:33 am

worth repeating

art: the skillfull execution of a creative idea in order to please or communicate

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri May 21, 2004 1:55 pm

You had me at "execution".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri May 21, 2004 2:15 pm

Heck of a piece.

Junk, that is.

muley

Post by muley » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:27 pm

last year some dick head had an atv with a rubber chicken hanging off the back and called it an art car.....BULLSHIT

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:43 pm

That would rate a little low on the artistic effort scale...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:24 am

definately a HASLE vehicle.

How can these be stopped? Rangers/BLM/Sherrifs cannot be everywhere, and they probably have other things to do. Volunteers with polaroids snapping photos for instant evidence to provide...who? If I took a polaroid of an un-liscenced art vehicle (with liscence plate) or a liscenced art vehicle breaking a BM law, would anybody care? Who would I turn this over to? Just curious, I'm considering packing a polaroid this year. Assuming one had a clear photo showing an undeniable offense and also provided a camp address where the vehicle was parked, would the proposed impound lot go get the miscreant? Or would said vehicle

Tracking the offender for a late-nite air extraction mission appears to be the current solution of choice. What would happen if you got caught doing this?

Is there a radio frequency that can be used to contact someone if a particularly egregious offense is observed?

regards, Jafe

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:53 am

Better a rubber-chicken bumper-tail dickhead than a chicken-head dick-bumping tail-rubber.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Slightly off topic

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 am

I wonder how many of these
there will be on the playa this year.

And how much trouble they will cause.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T24E51498

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:49 am

I wonder how many of these
None.

Unless given the OK by the DMV. I doubt Grits will allow one of them to be given the OK.

One strike is the rule against this type of vehicle. It'll either be parked or taken to the impound lot where it remains for the entire event. If it's seen operating again the Rangers have any of a number of ways of insuring that adherence to DMV protocols.
Desert dogs drink deep.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Slightly off topic

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:03 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]I wonder how many of these
]
there will be on the playa this year.
And how much trouble they will cause.

//
Mine is electric still I must have a DMV disabled sticked on it. I would'nt count on a welcome mat. If It's not pre regesitured it may be impounded outside the gate. Not to worry it will be returned after the event;>(
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Not to worry it will be returned after the event;>(
Actually, it'll be available for the owner to retrieve after the event, from the impound lot, outside of the gate, where there'll be no one watching it, and lots of dark unlit area for people to make off with valuable merchandise in the middle of the night and the BM project has NO liability than obligation to babysit this stuff because cluetards couldn't see it to read the massive posts warning about the changes in vehicle policy this year.

Is that clue enough?

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:40 pm

clue-tards...

that is funny.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

'stine

Post by 'stine » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:40 am

Did everyone read this? I found it informative. Sounds like DMV is aware of the problems and making progress to solve them.

p.s. I'm all for:
• putting tire locks on unregistered art cars found cruising the playa
• big visible stickers on all vehicles which serve legitimate playa business/emergencies
• not providing public transportation (though I like pedal carts) because lack of public transportation is a natural way to possibly curb the growth of the city. That's another thread though - natural ways to keep the BM at a healthy, manageable size rather than crashing/imploding like Rome.
• vigilante groups plastering the wind shields of known speeder cars with "NO SPEEDING STICKERS" when the car stops.

AFTERBURN REPORT 2003
DEPARTMENT OF MUTANT VEHICLES
The DMV encountered many new challenges in 2003, and we made a number of changes based on experience from previous years. We increased the efficiency of the permitting process, so shifts were easier on the hotties who volunteer with DMV, and owners of mutant vehicles enjoyed better service. More changes are needed, however, especially in the area of enforcement when vehicles lacking permits are found navigating the playa.

In 2003, we initiated mandatory pre-registration for mutant vehicles. This change simplified paperwork on the playa, and allowed us to set up an email list to distribute important information. We set specific hours for registration of vehicles with flame effects, which lessened the load for our inspection team and shortened the wait for those vehicles' owners.

These improvements smoothed our process flows, so we moved vehicles more efficiently to the point of licensing decisions. Moving the DMV location to Center Camp allowed us to make use of the infrastructure there (so we could have lights at night, for example), and participants could more easily find us. Also, our location across from Art Car Camp afforded mechanical support for mutant vehicles, provided support for DMV hotties, and offered clear examples of visually stimulating vehicles. Remote licensing of large vehicles prevented them from having to complete the tricky navigation through the Center Camp area.

A volunteer team made up mostly of returning veterans increased the sense of ownership and community among the DMV hotties. Despite the difficulties of this job, hotties enjoy their work. A committed team of experienced volunteers allowed us to continue to clarify job descriptions and further streamline the process. We added a greeter position to help vehicle owners begin the permitting process and a right-hand position who was 2nd in command on the playa, allowing the manager of DMV to take a break now and then.

Our training process continued to evolve, since we had begun training of DMV volunteers only in 2002. We built upon what we had learned, including feedback from hotties about their training experiences and their volunteer shift experiences.

Our access to office space in a protected structure was a blessing, giving us a place to keep our licenses and paperwork. Having our own radio channel simplified communication between members of our team. We enjoyed good communication with and support from the Ranger organization.

DMV had to overcome a number of challenges, as well, in 2003. Our shade and physical structure were put up much later than anticipated, causing us to open late. Once we opened, a lack of technical training kept us from taking advantage of the large amount of work devoted to setting up database access on the playa. Our computer information didn't easily dovetail with the paper process.

Internal inconsistency in evaluating vehicles allowed those that had been denied licensing to return later and get licensed by a different team. This experience reinforces our need for increased emphasis on training. Despite our work to determine which art cars should be licensed, consequences for driving unlicensed vehicles on the playa were limited to the possibility of a ticket from law enforcement officers. In 2002, we had threatened to take offending vehicles to an impound lot, but the implementation of this threat fell short. We did not emphasize the risk of impound in 2003. This is all being reviewed and addressed for 2004.

An ongoing challenge is the difficulty encountered when we decline a license application. Hotties have to deal with disappointment (and sometimes anger and ill will) from vehicle owners. This frustration is understandable after someone has towed, driven, or otherwise transported a vehicle to the playa only to be prevented from displaying it as intended. We plan to expand our pre-registration process to clarify these expectations.

Relations with other Burning Man departments do need some work. While we were, in 2003, - a part of the Ranger organization, we have not always participated fully in the Ranger administrative processes. Next year we will move out from under Rangers and join the Playa Safety Council. Also, a gray area in the division of responsibilities between the DMV and the Artery has caused some artists to be shuffled back and forth between departments to get appropriate driving permits. Clarification is needed about the process for permitting vehicles involved in a one-time performance and which department should issue those permits.

Our largest problem was a lack of respect shown by drivers toward our community at large. Drivers of many licensed vehicles broke the few simple rules that our community has demanded for safety in our city. Many more unlicensed vehicles were involved in the same behavior. A couple of licensed art cars were driven so poorly that complaints from pedestrians hit new highs. The attitudes of the drivers and campmates responsible for these cars were at best cagey and at times blatantly disrespectful. The amount of energy put into reasoning with them pushed the resources of the DMV hotties and the Rangers to the point of absurdity. These art car crews were given multiple chances to prove they were to be trusted only to be found driving unsafely again. This behavior was consistent with our experience the previous year. In an effort to gain control of our city's safety and prevent bodily injury to participants, we are sorry to report that some prominent art cars will not be allowed back in Black Rock City. La Contessa and the Shark Car have been banned from returning for 2004.
Another related need became apparent this year: Licenses are hard to see and need to be redesigned. This change will help to resolve the problems with enforcement of driving restrictions on the playa. BRC citizens should see a great improvement here.

Our struggle with enforcement problems affected our team's morale. More importantly, it made our city an unsafe environment. Theoretically, every citizens should take individual responsibility for driving only if licensed, and then only in a safe manner. Unfortunately, this ideal is not the reality. Law enforcement officials have said that if we do not manage driving in the city next year, they will. Consequently, we have a need, for the first time in Burning Man history, to enforce DMV rules beyond peer pressure. This move saddens us all, but we are up for the task. We will be working as support to the Rangers and the Safety Committee to accomplish this goal.
As part of our planning for 2004, we are changing our terminology from art car to mutant vehicle. This is a significant change. The art car community exists beyond Burning Man and we aren't determining whether or not something is art, but rather if something fits the criteria for vehicles driven on the playa during the Burning Man event. This change should clear up some misconceptions about our mission.

The DMV is also completely revamping the licensing process for Burning Man 2004. We plan to complete the majority of the vehicle licensing before the event. Pre-registration will begin in March, giving us ample time to review applications and to communicate with individual vehicle owners. We are creating new technology and processes to allow us to make most licensing decisions before the event, saving people who will be denied licensing from the effort of bringing vehicles to the playa. As part of this effort, we have begun a communications campaign to the mutant vehicle community and to the Burning Man community at large.

Lastly, we have been working to revise criteria for mutant vehicle licensing, introducing several categories that should clarify requirements. We are developing a database that ties in to the rest of the Burning Man organization's information systems.

Lessons learned:

* We know better than ever that volunteers need technical training in order to work effectively with the (mostly) paperless system on the playa.
* We recognize the need to communicate early and often with the mutant vehicle community.
* We must work more effectively with all other Burning Man departments and with our community to address the issue of reckless driving on the playa.

Further, the Burning Man community at large needs continuous reminders that Black Rock City is ultimately a pedestrian city. Tire pressure is a privilege, not a right! Driving on the playa without a license is not only a DMV issue, but a community issue. Those who do so blatantly disregard community guidelines. The number of drivers making this choice results in a sea of vehicles that increase dust and make many pedestrians uncomfortable. This problem affects the morale of the DMV team and is just a real bummer for the entire community.

Submitted by,
Jewelz Cody, aka Grits

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:29 pm

flags would be better than stickers. thats for sure.

and look cooler.
e pluribus unimog

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:37 pm

flags would be better than stickers. thats for sure.
And easier to remove and put on vehicles that aren't truly mutated. I'm sure the thought was discussed.

theshaman

Steal this idea

Post by theshaman » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:28 pm

Hey I had an idea for an art car, but focusing on different things this year...you should steal the idea

The word YES in big white letters like camp FUCK but motorized and wandering the playa slowly.

towed behind it and bumping along like an old wagon, the word PLEASE in much smaller letters

somebody build this, I would love to run into it.

As far as those stupid little bikes...man if I see one of those things i am going to knock the person off, stick the bike in my pocket and run away so it can't be ridden anymore....what the hell is the deal withthose things anyways? they are everywhere in LA...don't get it.....maybe I could just bring a large supply of disposable padlocks....
Buddha wasn't a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddhist

Shaman

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:41 pm

If you can pull it off in a fashion that doesn't look like shit in daylight... I'm not crazy about all the ugly junk running around that relies on darkness to hide everything but the lights.

Simply Joel

Re: Steal this idea

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:00 am

theshaman wrote:Hey I had an idea for an art car, but focusing on different things this year...you should steal the idea

The word YES in big white letters like camp FUCK but motorized and wandering the playa slowly.

towed behind it and bumping along like an old wagon, the word PLEASE in much smaller letters

somebody build this, I would love to run into it.

As far as those stupid little bikes...man if I see one of those things i am going to knock the person off, stick the bike in my pocket and run away so it can't be ridden anymore....what the hell is the deal withthose things anyways? they are everywhere in LA...don't get it.....maybe I could just bring a large supply of disposable padlocks....
and to think one of burning man's tenets is "understanding"

slap my salmon, baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:02 am

and no, i don't like the mini-motorcycles either... but i don't think i will knock anyone down for any such reason.

slap my salmon, baby

theshaman

Joking

Post by theshaman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:29 pm

I was joking about "knocking people off te bikes" would never do such a thing, just being a bit dramatic

Although I may save the lock idea IF there somebody being really inconsiderate

Shaman

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:44 pm

... but i don't think i will knock anyone down for any such reason.
Not when sticking a piece of rebar in the spokes provides so much more entertainment.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:33 pm

Badger wrote:
... but i don't think i will knock anyone down for any such reason.
Not when sticking a piece of rebar in the spokes provides so much more entertainment.
And now, directly from the DMV pages:

Scooters
Scooters (stand-up, one-person “go-peds”) are allowed at Black Rock City.

Hey, maybe I'll buy one just to see where that rebar ends up immediately after you try that.
Or better, why don't you get one? They're actually pretty cool.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:50 pm

I don't think that is what they are talking about. I've been seeing some ads in a local, free, bi-weekly ad magazine for what look like weird motorcycles, only smaller with top speeds of about 25 miles per hour. As far as I can tell, you do not stand up on them. They look to be less practical than a moped/motor scooter. I have never actually seen anyone driving one around Madison, Wisconsin, so all I can go by are the pictures in the ads. If the shapely women in the ads come with the mini-motorcycles, I can understand the attraction, but if they don't..., well, I think I will pass. :roll:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

burnwithme

Post by burnwithme » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:15 pm

How about a frenzie of paintball guns, we could just paint them ourselves. Then they could go and attempt to register them with the DMV.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Hey, maybe I'll buy one just to see where that rebar ends up immediately after you try that.
Take a break. Put your dick back in your pants.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:53 am

BAS wrote:I don't think that is what they are talking about. I've been seeing some ads in a local, free, bi-weekly ad magazine for what look like weird motorcycles, only smaller with top speeds of about 25 miles per hour. As far as I can tell, you do not stand up on them. They look to be less practical than a moped/motor scooter.
That's what I meant. (i have a link to an article from our local rag about them, in the post where I talk about them.) Illegal or not, I still see them as a potential headache for the Rangers as they can be stashed so easily. 25 mph is 5 times as fast as a car or truck chasing them could go and faster than a bike too. Pop it in your trunk when you get back to camp, "You don't have my permission to do a search." All in all a lot of time and trouble to deal with. Unless, of course, such yahats do us the favor of wiping out on them. Then it's just trouble for ESD.

theshaman

little bikes

Post by theshaman » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:50 am

All joking aside I have been really concerned about these little "pocket bikes" as they are called, and them being a nusciance at BRC. Mostly because they are EVERYWHERE in LA. I mean every friggin gas station has a shade structure set up with somebody selling these things.

Most are tiny and look like crotch rockets. these are the one's that concern me cause they are so small and easy to stash and they usually have fucking loud little 2 stroke engines.

Now, Every auto parts store I go into is also carrying thses things. There are also larger versions that have the standard 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton and are made to look like Harleys...those however don't concern me as much. They are harder to hide and not as annoyingly loud.

The LAPD has also been addressing this publically and making sure to tell people these are NOT street legal...yes I have seen people riding these things right down a street...on the side cause they are so small you would get run over in the main lane.

I have just been concerned that BRC would ring with the sound of these little chainsaw motors and at least one of the yahoos on them would end up wedged under an Art Car

Like I said, I will have extra padlocks, just in case

Shaman

Return to “Philosophical Center”