Burner discrimination?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
pinemom

Burner discrimination?

Post by pinemom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:50 am

How many of us Burners have to endure the completely uneducated statements from "non" burner family/friend members?

Statements like:

"Oh, you wouldnt know, your to busy partying to know what the real world is up too!"

or the ever present:

"All you ever do is go to party after party with those Burner-man people."

The newest in my life:
"Im a drunk potsmoking loady, I stink, and my toilet always has shit in it."
(Ya Im not sure about that last part either?)

???

Why do people insist on judging other peoples life choices?

Why do people cast judgement on something theyve never been to, nor took the time to research?

I dont know about the rest of you all...but finding the burn has made my life fantastic!
I have the biggest circle of friends Ive ever had in my entire life!!!!!!

If that isnt the truest form of happiness(hahaha Simon...got ya!)
...then I dont know happiness from a hole in the ground!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

DVD Burner

Re: Burner discrimination?

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 am

pinemom wrote:
The newest in my life:
"Im a drunk potsmoking loady, I stink, and my toilet always has shit in it."
(Ya Im not sure about that last part either?)

LMFAO!

Oh wait a minute....*sniff* yea, I do kinda stink.

And where would they rather have shit if not for in the toilet? :? :shock:
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Burner discrimination?

Post by Sail Man » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:59 am

DVD Burner wrote:And where would they rather have shit if not for in the toilet? :? :shock:

3rd tree on the left, mind the poison ivy :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am

i hear you, pinemom ... this is a difficult thing for me, and i have never even been to BM ...

i've known about BM for years, but was stuck around people - both work and family - who thought creativity was weird. i had to shove myself inside my shoe just to survive in such an environment. most of my family will have no idea where i am the week before labor day... i won't tell them, i can't. they won't understand... so why bother? i don't want to hear their crap.

they see the world, such as it is ... the culture ... sex and drugs are everywhere ... the fact that you can no longer raise an innocent child .. and they look for the problem. creative people have always been blamed... and rightly so, to some extent.

but they will never understand the drive to be creative, it's not who they are. we don't understand them, either, do we? they are so fucking boring ... perhaps creative people are more polite, since we do not say so to their faces...

in some cases, they may be genuinely curious about BM, even if they don't understand it. some will just reject it. they are who they are ... and, well, we all have to share the planet ... so i just try to understand where they are coming from. there is a very deep divide ... it's pretty scary ...

just my 2 cents.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 am

littleflower wrote:i hear you, pinemom ... this is a difficult thing for me, and i have never even been to BM ...

:shock:

and people here get on my case for not attending often enough.
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

fromMA

Post by fromMA » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:56 am

Screw them Pinemom. I am 60, know whats going on in the world, don't party much 51 weeks of the year (that may be a lie) been to BM the past 2 years, loved everything about it but especially the people. I'm proud to be a burner!

Don't let the bastards wear ya down:)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 am

I know burnier than thou types who accuse me of not being burny enough because I don't stay up and party and prefer booze to drugs. What ya gonna do?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 pm

I always thought Booze was a drug?

:?:

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 pm

AntiM wrote:I know burnier than thou types who accuse me of not being burny enough because I don't stay up and party and prefer booze to drugs. What ya gonna do?
A couple of shots whilst we snicker at them? :P

ohh, getting close to my weekly limit, better go hang out in tribe for awhile

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I prefer booze and drugs.

and....Fuck em' all to hell and back.

They are just a bunch of jealous stiffs.

Thrive in your glory. let it shine, let it shine.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm

what is that old saying?

you should not be big pimping if your Whore looks like Tina Turner on a Bad day.

no thats not it.

something about being well adjusted to a profoundly sick society and being "Healthy"...

for those people that insist on telling me Burning man "aint what it used to be" and then in the same breath tell me thats why they have never been i only have deep scorn.

for those that are curious, maybe a bit biased by their upbringing, social status, nationality, whatever, i try to explain that it is what you make of it.
And that is a liberating feeling. You are given a blank slate, physically and meta-physically on which to create or build and enjoy and destroy.

the best kindergarten art class EVER with explosives too!

And to be transported back to that part of your mental thought processes which allowed you to express, uninhibited, whatever it was that struck your chord or fancy.

people become who they are when there is nothing around them.

take away all the accoutrements, and we are all eventually dust, and in the dust we find ourselves.

the hard part is putting the mask back on, and re-entering a society that we did'nt build.

the worst part is one day finding yourself casually, or accidently tossing a cig butt in the street because it's not yours...On the Playa, i rescue every filter and little moops lying about and gingerly stuff them in my pocket, so great is my respect for the playa, i will not let her be trashed.

yet here, in my own hometown, i only realized what i had done when i said to myself, "you would never do that in BRC, why here?...go back and pick that up asshole"...so i did.

then i thought, "Fuck that guy who dumps his ashtray at the stoplight, Fuck that guy who dumps his goddamn McCrap bag by the side of the road, Fuck them, their disease is affecting me...I'm NOT going to litter, i'm NOT going to do what everyone (well, not everyone) does, they are wrong.

if that means i receive their scorn for being different, fine, pearls before swine, pearls before swine.

it's hard to keep the freak inside on a leash, but maybe someday we wont have to, hell, if the coming financial catastrophe really fucks shit up, we'll hopefully see communities like ours spring up everywhere as the populace burns the cities to the ground.

start stockpiling bacon, and keep smiling.
Frida Be You & Me

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:23 pm

...and just why is prochutto so fricken expensive?

Thank you all. See this my very good friends...haahahaa whom for half Ive never even met in person...is why I love this place...or that place or anywhere my burner peeps are.

We know what we are doing really is ok.
If the world only knew the half of what a fabulous society we have for a week+- in the desert!
shhh...dont tell ANYONE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:27 pm

*making little key in lock twisty motion in front of closed mouth*.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

vwthingrcer

Post by vwthingrcer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 pm

fuck my friends think it also that it is a giant hippie fest. so to piss him off i offered his wife a free ticket. but it is the media who makes a bad name for burning man. all it is is drugs and chaos. WELL I A HAPPY TO GO TO BM EVERY YEAR. fuck the rest who think that

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 pm

No they will not understand. all they see is the party -sex, booze, drugs, etc.

Most operate from a religeous bias. Even if they do not belong to a religious group. here in the western world that means Christianity. So they see us as sinners. OMFG. But they are not even paying attention to their own scriptures. The "devout" ones hold up the ten commandments and quickly start pointing fingers. The less devout ones and non-believers point to the ten commandments any time they feel offended. But if you read the bible (old testament) it is plain to see that Moses went up the mountain twice. The second time he returned with a lesser set of comandments for people who were not capable of following a "Higher Law," and therefore needed stricter more narrowly defined guidelines to live by. And most of them cannot follow those rules. I am not trying to turn this into a religeous rant (probly too late for that) :) Just making an observation and using Cristianity as the coin, or lens, with which to make said observation. Fact is most organized religions are the same . . . just different trappings. It may be useful to note that only the first 2 comandments are positive statements, the rest are negatives. When asked which is the greatest commandment Christ named the first two commandments and said that all the "Law and the Prophets" hang on those two. He it was who also said "If there be any among you who are without sin let him cast the first stone." Then he turned and walked away.

They do not understand us. And, often, we do not understand them. And so it is, we dance a clumsy dance.

There. Now I am sure that I have garbled everything. :roll:
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 pm

pinemom wrote:...and just why is prochutto so fricken expensive?

Thank you all. See this my very good friends...haahahaa whom for half Ive never even met in person...is why I love this place...or that place or anywhere my burner peeps are.

We know what we are doing really is ok.
If the world only knew the half of what a fabulous society we have for a week+- in the desert!
shhh...dont tell ANYONE!
doesn't do any good to tell anyone, they do not understand.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 pm

yeah.. I stopped trying to explain it or defend it.. I stopped trying to convince people they should go ' at least once ' ( as if there were such a thing ).. NOW my mission is to try and get an many people as I can NOT to go to burningman... they just clog up the desert and make the lines longer...

to all of you who need someone to "sell them" on attending Burning Man,

ah em,, DO NOT GO TO BURNING MAN !! IT'S HOT AND LAME AND NO ONE GETS HIGH OR HAS ANY FUN OR SEX THERE !! and theres not any good art either. or cool cars or nothing... etc.

I'm a potato and I approve this message.
don't forget to floss

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I barely talk about it to anyone.
To explain only creates expectations.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:51 pm

I think that prosciutto is overrated as well as being expensive. I'd rather have bacon, anyway. Feel free to disagree.

Most people I've talked to about Burning Man have said that it's interesting, although many also think that the conditions there (both natural and social) would be a bit much for them. I don't get much reaction in opposition to BM, but I've also stopped trying to sell it to anyone ("it's not for everyone" is my mantra). And my conversations with religious zealots are few and far between.

My lab has come to expect an annual trip report, complete with pictures, in September or October.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Damn Dr Placebo, that looks awesome! :shock:

Will you make me one too? :wink:

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:16 pm

prosciutto --- a prosthetic device for bacon?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 pm

pinemom wrote:...See this my very good friends...haahahaa whom for half Ive never even met in person...is why I love this place...or that place or anywhere my burner peeps are.
Well, I for one, am planning on meeting everybody on this board that I have ever posted with--hope you all make it to the meet-n-greet.

Actually, I think I'm a slower learner than most--my first trip to the playa was overwhelming, my second I really started to 'get' it and it has taken all this time for me to really feel like this year will actually be a welcome home experience.

It's always been difficult for me to really be me, whatever that is. I have gotten so comfortable presenting the 'me' that I feel people want me to be that it is difficult to let the real me out--or even know who he is.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:07 pm

**burn** wrote:I barely talk about it to anyone.
To explain only creates expectations.

We Have A Winner..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:31 pm

It could be anything. Motorcycles. Opera. Model train layouts. All hobbies are suspect. But to their devotees, life's blood.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Well said Fishy....... :D

And if ya didn't "get it", well that's the point........
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Box Burner wrote:prosciutto --- a prosthetic device for bacon?

hehehe.... We gotta try that this year BoxB!!!!!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Thats the part fishy i dont understand...its just what I do. Its my hobby. Its what keeps Me Real to Me on and off the dust.

And I personally think Burners...and soon to be burners...(saw ya look)
are better people then defaultia.
We rock!
We love!
We peace!
We way fucken talented!
It just so fucken yummy!

why the hell would I want to be like people with perma frowns they will grow old into....I love my Face wrinkles that represnt all the smiling I do in my life!
The desert just happens to be helping on the etching part...sa la ve~
I will wear them as my eye feathers and dance at the moon....shit, do we have a moon this year...anyone...anyone....bueller?

~ ~ ~ sorry got a littel dancy there...~~~~ hee heheh
{{Giggles snicker}}

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:07 am

are'nt burners, by Law, Supposed to sit in the Back of the Bus?

they are here in the Northeast. we even have to show our FreakID card to the authorities wherever we go, just so we can vote, and use the water fountains.

but i know, deep in my pants, we shall Uber-kum, some day.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 am

well, if you'd wear pants and quit "shirtcocking", thereby hiding your freakishly large parts......
no one would know "who" you are, and, you'd not be queried anyway......
or singled out for interrogation and inspection.

Jeeze, Simon, I'd think you be more incognito........or at least know how to blend it better........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:24 am

ygmir wrote:well, if you'd wear pants and quit "shirtcocking", thereby hiding your freakishly large parts......
no one would know "who" you are, and, you'd not be queried anyway......
or singled out for interrogation and inspection.

Jeeze, Simon, I'd think you be more incognito........or at least know how to blend it better........
Isn't that like a fox trying to blend in, while in the hen house? :P

Return to “Philosophical Center”