Burner discrimination?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
FrostyMan

Post by FrostyMan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:45 pm

pinemom wrote: I will wear them as my eye feathers and dance at the moon....shit, do we have a moon this year...anyone...anyone....bueller?
[nerd]Full Moon Friday Sept. 4th, 2009[/nerd]

Any adult who has a hobby or does anything creative is perceived as someone who "has too much time on their hands." I've noticed this even more now that I've moved to The Burbs. All activities need to result in the two main goals.

#1 Make money
#2 Fuck

Making money is very important because it will make people jealous of you. That is how you know you are better than they are. It will also make people want to fuck you, which will satisfy goal #2. [/snark]

Honestly Pinemom, I really don't understand most people. It's made any real human connections difficult for me and has resulted in a pretty solitary existence. Seems like everyone's goals in life are just pointless but if you invent your own goals then you're "weird." I've tried to play the game but I'm just not that good at it. It's why I want to go to Burning Man so bad, to see if there really is people I can connect with.

Also doing your own thing is scary. There is no one to follow and you have to blaze your own trail. No one to point you in the right direction or give you advice on how to pick up the pieces if something goes wrong. Truthfully, I'm both uber-excited and scared shitless to go to BM. My thoughts bounce between...
"I don't know. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Maybe I won't fit in. Maybe, maybe,maybe...."
to
"Just buy the ticket in January. Shut the fuck up. Buy the gawdamn ticket. And just show up."
"That which you manifest, is before you" - Enzo the Dog; The Art of Racing in the Rain

ALICEtheGOON

Post by ALICEtheGOON » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:57 am

shoot pinemom....next person that asks..

get a shoe box , put some dirt in it , throw in a barbie doll, some bacon ,
an oven mit ...put a little stick man in there as well ..

grab a lighter and burn it ....and say THERE ! understand now!!!?

ps ..oh yeah and BOOBIES!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 am

ALICEtheGOON wrote:shoot pinemom....next person that asks..

get a shoe box , put some dirt in it , throw in a barbie doll, some bacon ,
an oven mit ...put a little stick man in there as well ..

grab a lighter and burn it ....and say THERE ! understand now!!!?

ps ..oh yeah and BOOBIES!

Hmmm, how bout a BRC diorama? Perfect for that un-used ping-pong table. OK, who's got too much time on their hands? :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:30 pm

Oh geez. I'm so used to that look on people's faces... when I describe the things I built over the weekend, how excited I am about finding blinky parts, the latest gadgetry I'm trying to figure out, that festival I go to in the desert. It's a mixture of them tuning me out while wondering what planet I come from, not a look of interest or of understanding. It doesn't bother me. Burning man is one place where I don't see that look.

princesspisces

Post by princesspisces » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:17 pm

I always seem to get the response "Burning Man? Isn't it full of smelly hippies?" :lol: Before I went out this year I had a friend who wanted me to call her while I was out there. When I explained that my phone wouldn't work, you'd think I had just told her she had one month to live. :roll:

I love my life in the dust!!!

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Re: Burner discrimination?

Post by goathead » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 am

pinemom wrote:How many of us Burners have to endure the completely uneducated statements from "non" burner family/friend members?
Whats really fun is when you get it from your BURNER campmates....

LMAO

I gifted a ticket you a freind of ours this year, and OH MY FUCKING GOD she brought out her two daughters, ages two and four. She is a burners and the four year old had been out when she was?? a year or two old. So she knew what to expect. Some of the hens in our camp really didn't approve, most of the men and young gals had a blast playing with the kids though. Speeder Bill a friend of ours took them out on his golf cart and showed them all of the major sites, they had a ball.

Hope I can do it again for them next year.
:D

The hens ajusted to them finally, and thought they where ok in the end.

Imagine starting kindergarden and being a three year vet. LMAO
And these are picures from my summer vacation....
LMAO

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:22 am

hell, I take my youngest...15, but not my oldest 22....go figure!

I absolutely love being a burner. I always was one...it just took me 15 yrs to get there!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

lordgrizz

Post by lordgrizz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:41 pm

When I told the people at where I work what I do on my vacation it was like I said I was going to visit mars. I pointed them to the website and told 'em if you want to get a little glimpse of what it's all about look here.
Then they really didn't get it.
It's all good though; I have already established a reputation for being the long-haired-tattoo-having-freaky-weirdo where I work, being a burner is just another part of my strangeness.
Wouldn't change for anything.
Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 am

pinemom wrote:How many of us Burners have to endure the completely uneducated statements from "non" burner family/friend members?

Statements like:

"Oh, you wouldnt know, your to busy partying to know what the real world is up too!"

or the ever present:

"All you ever do is go to party after party with those Burner-man people."

The newest in my life:
"Im a drunk potsmoking loady, I stink, and my toilet always has shit in it."
(Ya Im not sure about that last part either?)

???

Why do people insist on judging other peoples life choices?

Why do people cast judgement on something theyve never been to, nor took the time to research?

I dont know about the rest of you all...but finding the burn has made my life fantastic!
I have the biggest circle of friends Ive ever had in my entire life!!!!!!

If that isnt the truest form of happiness(hahaha Simon...got ya!)
...then I dont know happiness from a hole in the ground!
Pinemom, some of that sounds more like abuse than anything that actually has anything to do with burning man really.
And some of it just sounds like they miss you being around as much.

If you have trouble dealing with the really gratuitous insults and don't mind pissing someone off, email me and I'm sure I can come up with something appropriately traumatic and personal.
Just give me background and let me know how much counseling you want them to require afterwards.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:51 am

no fucking way....what did you DO?

have kids at age 7? like Me?

(my oldest is 24, he might make the trip this year, he's a, oh god, i dont want to say it, but, he's a part time DJ......i blame his mom)
Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:14 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

no fucking way....what did you DO?

have kids at age 7? like Me?

(my oldest is 24, he might make the trip this year, he's a, oh god, i dont want to say it, but, he's a part time DJ......i blame his mom)
Bless his heart.

I'm so sorry, Simon.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 am

lordgrizz wrote:When I told the people at where I work what I do on my vacation it was like I said I was going to visit mars. I pointed them to the website and told 'em if you want to get a little glimpse of what it's all about look here.
Then they really didn't get it.
It's all good though; I have already established a reputation for being the long-haired-tattoo-having-freaky-weirdo where I work, being a burner is just another part of my strangeness.
Wouldn't change for anything.
Right on Brother :D

I get that at my work as well, people just look at me, and I can see their eyebrows sneaking up a bit as they just nod there head and say something to the effect of..."ummm, ok"

I'm different, so wtf! It's nice to hang with peeps with whom I don't have to explain anything to.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am

i'm just glad he did'nt get sucked into the family 'business". He's got a degree and working towards his masters, which is a helluva lot more than i can say.

he'll grow out of this dj "phase"... :twisted:
Frida Be You & Me

tubahurl

Playa Haters

Post by tubahurl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Pinemom wrote:
I think it was Freud who said it best "People hate in others what they hate most about themselves." I use that phrase occasionally in the default world to put a nice slow mind fuck on the few egotistic bastards that feel need to belittle the rest of the default world. It gives me great pleasure to slowly watch the utter confusion slowly melt into rage when their ego finally grasps the meaning. I highly recommend using it on the next pious fool who trys to judge someone else.

If the defaulties don't get it, perhaps they just don't belong.

Myself, I prefer to hang out with like minded individuals, such as last Saturday( I know shameless plug)

http://www.deviantev.com/tubahurl/nimby0209.html

http://www.deviantev.com/tubahurl/

If the default world can't handle it, fuck'em.

Cap'n Tub

bx1

Post by bx1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:he'll grow out of this dj "phase"... :twisted:

Who said DJing was a phase!? :evil:
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:58 am

One can only hope.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:53 am

Hi ya'll...yes, its has smoothed out as far as total confrontational conversation.
Now we just dont even talk much.
That sucks too.
But I cant nor wont try to change the minds of those I dont really care anymore about what they say about me.
I have my burner family and I even have blood family that is supportive, in the best manner of which we all are speaking.
Im not asking they go. Im just asking they accept.

I have realized my perceived worth to them now though. Which in all actuality is a really good thing...better now then later on my death bed...right!?!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I think Gyre is dead on.

Whoever this is is very good at pushing your buttons. This is either someone who is jealous or embarrased (like a kid - we all embarass our kids).

Look at it this way - you could be playing golf constantly and swilling gin in the clubhouse - or sitting on your ass watching daytime TV. How do those things contribute?

Don't ever feel guilty for what lights your fire, but limit how much you expose those "buttons" to those who would wish you to feel bad.

I have a professional career where people who don't know me well are very surprized but almost never critical if they learn I attend our little gathering in the desert. The very few I know well who look down on it are those that would REALLY not have a good time there - so I am REALLY glad they don't go. But some people just need to disguise the fact that they are pussies by convincing themselves that they are better, or right.

We know we are not finding the cure for AIDS or ending world hunger, and occasionally we might even have a turd in our toilets. Just smile, laugh, and say that you should be given an award for conserving toilet water.

Participation is key in both worlds - when it touches someone else positively - through friendship, art, music, or the camaraderie of social contact. Whoever is dissing you is doing the opposite.

If all else fails, the one piece of wisdom that works - fuck 'em.

fciron

Post by fciron » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Simon,

My son is 20, just flunked out of college, and almost got a job as a dj at a strip-club. So count yourself lucky. (Yeah, I blame his mom too. She drove him to the titty-bar to apply for the job. No lie.)

My mom seemed a little confused about the whole Burning Man thing, the people she knew who went were all about the party. I gave her my dusty survival guide and 'who, what, were guide' with the art map. Showed her some online pics of our camp and my favorite art stuff. I think I may have slipped up and said that it was the only time I have ever worried about what I missed because I got laid. Anyhow, now she knows why I go. That's good enough for me.

I'll put out some effort to clear up confusion, but I wouldn't waste time on someone who isn't gonna listen.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 pm

well i was the crazy, UFO, government conspiracy, E loving hippie before BM and ............

now they just think i am going to my Mecca !!!!
I have post playa depression :(

dust&music

Post by dust&music » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm

[quote="pinemom"]How many of us Burners have to endure the completely uneducated statements from "non" burner family/friend members?

Statements like:

"Oh, you wouldnt know, your to busy partying to know what the real world is up too!"

or the ever present:

The newest in my life:

???

Why do people cast judgement on something theyve never been to, nor took the time to research?

I dont know about the rest of you all...but finding the burn has made my life fantastic!

...then I dont know happiness from a hole in the ground![/quote]

It's Fear.
What if the Hokie Pokie really is what it's all about?

dust&music

Post by dust&music » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm

[quote="pinemom"]How many of us Burners have to endure the completely uneducated statements from "non" burner family/friend members?

Statements like:

or the ever present:

The newest in my life:

???

...then I dont know happiness from a hole in the ground![/quote]

It's Fear.
What if the Hokie Pokie really is what it's all about?

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 pm

I guess I am lucky I work (as a custodian) at a major university. Even if they've never heard of Burning Man, the people I work around seem to find it okay, even after I tell them about it. (And all my friends have already heard about it, even if they aren't interested... :wink: )

Relatives..., well, my brother doesn't think it would be worth a 2000+ mile trip, my dad finally figured out why I found it interesting, but still doesn't like the idea of going out to a desert in August, and my mom..., I have no idea what she thinks-- she's been losing her hearing and might not even know that I went... :roll: I haven't mentioned it to the Mormons and Fundamentalist Baptist relatives for some reason.... I know I mentioned it last Thanksgiving to some of my other relatives (my cousin David questioned some of the bumper stickers on my car), I don't know what they thought. (eh, they already knew I was weird, at least since the 1980s....)

My guess as to why some people are so judgmental about BM is the same as for why people are so judgmental about anything that they don't really know anything about: they have to make themselves feel superior, possibly to make up for the very ignorance it is based on. If you can get away without caring about what they think, not caring what they think is probably the best course of action. Good luck.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:04 am

BAS, i like your approach, maybe i should take that tack and stop threatening to put a cap in the ass of anyone who disses Larry, and the Man.

i've actually had to beat the crap out of somebody who kept repeating to me "Dude, i dont want to go to burning man, it's totally sold - out and not what it used to be" (this coming from someone who has never been, of course)

he's a friend of mine, it's ok, thats what we do here, we fight over stupid things.

it's western NY dammit.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:07 am

some of the best friends slap eachother around......

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 am

My favorite jewish humour.
I have Moe's autograph somewhere.

Someone brought a snake to get their hair cut.
It ended with the barber chasing them and two people shot fleeing, not seriously, fortunately.
The snake survived.

Our city is full of three stooges moments.

Return to “Philosophical Center”