CRIME! GUNS! second amendment?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Porschebug

CRIME! GUNS! second amendment?

Post by Porschebug » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:32 am

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nv/reno/crime/

Hey, look burners, in passing through and/or staying in reno we can rest assured that we will be part of a wonderful community, so wonderfully welcoming and accommodating such that they are safer than 7% of US cities! And i'll feel even safer without my gun that i'm not allowed to take to burning man to protect myself?

Anyone have the full story on why this is a gun free zone? Nevada is pretty gun friendly - burning man is on private land now and not government, yes?

in any case i'm a NRA ALL THE WAY guy, i'm sure thats not the common thread among a bunch of lefty hippie west coast types but this is one pet peeve i have with the event... If i wanted to kill a bunch of hippies without worrying about them being armed, burning man would be it! a field day of cleaning up america? reminds me of the end of EASY RIDER, one of many films really sticking it to rednecks with no apparent revenge for the shot gun wielding redneck in this case..., Deliverance is another... but the revenge this time was bow and arrow... can we bring bows and arrows? i jest, but also think this is a fundamental right that needs far more expanding than we have had for decades now, as the NRA has been very successful over time... and besides, i'm sure a number of bike thieves at burning man could have used at least a .22 caliber bullet in their butt... alright, thats a bit harsh, a short, not long rifle or magnum...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_ ... ted_States

just watch it turn from very red to very blue, a beautiful site - the map that is... hey, maybe i could do a gun thing at burning man, but of course they would all have to be fake guns or pictures of guns?
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.â€

AKAparttime
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: some times Outpost Tokyo

Post by AKAparttime » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 am

Revenge ? Kill ?

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:17 am

Burning Man is not only not on private land, it is on land that is administered by the U.S. Government. Ergo, the Feds have the final say on what the rules are, and they've decreed no firearms as a condition of the permit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BLM felt that they would need a much larger contingent of LEOs if campers could have firearms. I'd say they were wrong about that, but they're the ones making the rules.
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

Porschebug

Post by Porschebug » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:19 am

JIVA, i thought that was the case, thanks for straightening me out... in florida they recently allowed guns on public land...

not sure where i got the idea that BM was moved to private land in this same desert....(?)
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.â€

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 am

Actually I've met quite a few gun afficianados at the event. Not sure where you're getting this hippie trip from. The event used to give free reign to Hunter S. Thompson wannabes with all of the ammo but none of the literary chops, firing weapons from speeding cars. It's a better time without some drunken petty tyrant thinking he knows how to handle his firearms while blacked out.

As for some kind of cinematic redneck rampage against unarmed leftists... the NRA heroes never seem to show up to stop college and high school massacres, how would they defend the arts at Burning Man? I think most of the rightwing drones are currently being mobilized by AM radio jockeys to disrupt healthcare townhalls, no worries this year.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Just because we aren't carrying guns does not mean we are unarmed.

But yes, I'm a liberal and I own guns.

gyre

Circa 2007

Post by gyre » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Bureau of Land Management* If you can legally carry in the state the BLM land is in you can
carry on the BLM land. If it is not legal the area will most likely be posted as no firearms allowed.
Any building on the BLM land operated by the federal government is considered federal property
and carry in those buildings is not allowed.

Indian Reservations Carry on Indian property is controlled by Tribal Law. You must check with
each tribe before carrying on their property. Some Indian Tribes consider federal and state
highways through their property as under their control. There is a link to the Indian Nations on
Handgunlaw.us. Look at the header on any of the main pages at Handgunlaw.us and moving
your mouse pointer over Indian Nations will give you seven different links to check on tribal law.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:26 pm

We don't need powder driven firearms at BM cause we got flame throwers!

Some one said, HUmm, I want to throw flame over there, so he built a machine that throws flame over there.. all night long.. with a whoosh and a whooosh.

[youtube][/youtube]

makes we wanna go home. I can't sleep at night...

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Well,
I'm personally glad that guns aren't allowed at BM. As much as I don't like bike thieves, I don't think shooting someone for such a thing is cool at all. Maybe an ass kickin' then get your bike back.
The reason I don't like guns is that I just don't trust people in this world, let alone myself. They do actually let ANYONE into BM, which is fine but could you imagine someone on who knows what drug thinking it'd be cool to randomly aim a loaded gun all around....oops someone just got shot in the dick.
I know that can happen anywhere, but BM is one HUGE party (among many other things) and even the NRA will tell you that guns and drugs and booze don't mix, not even in Texas.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 am

Anyone have the full story on why this is a gun free zone
Probably because guys only really need one penis. Anything more is superfluous and tacky.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:47 am

Fast forward to 4:50.

There was a time... Oh yes. There was a time...

[youtube][/youtube]
-AJ )'(

Porschebug

Gun Fun in the Sun?

Post by Porschebug » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:09 am

GYRE,
- that makes sense and would be why guns SHOULD be allowed, except to say the NRA has shown another trend in nevada on BLM land:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2863

its the people's land, really our land and you'd think the price of a ticket would count as some vote on this account

you might be on to something, that as per driving through indian turf we also might have to consider this part of the ban on BLM land, connected...

ABSOLUTE GENIUS strikes again and shows some of the history of BM, and when it was more free... like the wild west? thanks, you burning genius you

NIERS, i've had two bikes stolen, and when you live that way with no car for 11 years it means alot more to you... so i feel entitled to at least fantasize about butt kicking revenge...

i did pull a young black kid off my neighbors bike he was trying to steal, i guess i wasn't hard enough on him because he started to laugh

TIMEZONE, the hippie trip comes from the 60s (my smart aleck response), but generation X put the hippie thing to an almost grinding halt. I speculate, based on extrapolation and previous empirical field research of varied observational techniques, that homo sapien hippie shall evolve most highly and disproportionately on the positive side, quantitatively speaking, upon the nevada desert within the next month. A higher percent of hippie representation, compared to the general population, shall be the demographic trend ad infinitum on a seasonal basis within the BM tradition. Perhaps i shall have peer review journal publications to back this claim some day...

college mass killings would be less possible with a few armed citizens, at least they might be LESS massive

knowing the very intimate details of the cho slaughter and the pathetic attempts at survival during it in virginia and the profound sense of weakness and hopelessness in being so gunless gave further claim to our second amendment, but universities are typically quite averse to guns, this is changing due to that horrible slaughter... some are waking up

i remember HUNTER S. shooting an effigy of BILL BUCKNER with conan obrien, with bar near by... did hunter s. ever do the BM thing?

ANTI M (or Auntie Em of WIZARD OF OZ fame?)

i carry around a blade and pepper, but like they say, DON'T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT - so i'm as good as naked when the bad guys with guns go for me...

a liberal with a gun? then there is hope... i'm quite mixed politically, as to two parties and philosophies... i highly recommend:

http://glassbooth.org/

but put in all 20 points for each issue, thus 14 tests, this way you get the maximum number of questions per issue and a more overall percentile comparison per candidate...

BetaBox

Post by BetaBox » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:53 am

drugs, guns, and angry white people....jeez, sounds like fun to me.

Porschebug

Post by Porschebug » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 am

drug free vegan peaceful gun shooting in the desert sounds fun to me

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 am

Badger wrote:
Anyone have the full story on why this is a gun free zone
Probably because guys only really need one penis. Anything more is superfluous and tacky.
You're really bringing up superfluous and tacky in relation to burning man!?

Sometimes things are not deep psychological avatars.

A carry weapon is an appliance, like car keys, part of getting dressed.
The only time I don't have a weapon on me, is on the playa.

Feel free to theorize about the use of artillery and BIG FIRE.
Fun is fun.

[Interests: Big, big machines. Machines that no one else has.]

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 am

Porschebug wrote:drug free vegan peaceful gun shooting in the desert sounds fun to me
That's actually a sure way of making a red state blue. Good work.

gyre

Re: Gun Fun in the Sun?

Post by gyre » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 am

Porschebug wrote:GYRE,
- that makes sense and would be why guns SHOULD be allowed, except to say the NRA has shown another trend in nevada on BLM land:
I think guns are used on the playa most of the year.
If it's a blm rule, my guess it has the force of law.
Just a guess though.

Porschebug wrote: a liberal with a gun? then there is hope...
Don't get your information from the nra.
They are politically clueless.
Do you think they would be getting anywhere if there weren't as many "liberals" carrying weapons as there are republicans?

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:08 am

Simple solution to paranoia of people stealing your bike at BM:

1) Don't bring a nice bike.
2) Lock that shit up!
3) Decorate it or paint it in a way that would be very noticeable.
4) Don't just leave it in a place that's easily snatch-able.

Follow this advice and you can feel confident that your crappy bike will still be there when you are finished exploring the most awesome sculpture you've ever seen.
Repeat and enjoy yourself.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 am

Noticeable is good, but decorated bikes seem to attract thieves that want to use them.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 pm

BetaBox wrote:drugs, guns, and angry white people....jeez, sounds like fun to me.
would it be different if they were black, brown, yellow, or red people?

and, why angry?
who's angry?

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Am I the only person who is amazed that no one has been offended by the original post in this tread advocating the use of deadly force for the offense of petty theft. A .22 in the butt is not a trivial matter, a .22 will kill a person as dead as a .44 Magnum. This is precisely why guns are not tolerated at Burning Man. Our community of 50,000 is not crime free but a bunch of loonies running around with firearms will do nothing but endanger the safety of allof us.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:14 pm

BetaBox wrote:drugs, guns, and angry white people....jeez, sounds like fun to me.
Who ever said I was white? How do you know I'm not yellow, purple, blue, green... Maybe even magenta? :shock:
¡Niers! wrote:Simple solution to paranoia of people stealing your bike at BM:

1) Don't bring a nice bike.
2) Lock that shit up!
3) Decorate it or paint it in a way that would be very noticeable.
4) Don't just leave it in a place that's easily snatch-able.

Follow this advice and you can feel confident that your crappy bike will still be there when you are finished exploring the most awesome sculpture you've ever seen.
Repeat and enjoy yourself.
So one time about two years ago, I had brought out my blue on white leopard spotted bike that I had made myself. It was the second year on the playa for that bike and I was pretty proud of it. Blue el wire, ah-ooga horn on it, the most comfortable seat ever and very distinguishable. Best playa bike I ever had out there. So we go to the Opulent Temple on maybe a Wednesday or Thursday night. Now when we travel in packs, we usually stack our bikes all together. And strap a rope lock through them. We parked somewhat behind the stage so that way we could easily peek over at them and make sure they hadn't been tampered with.

So we are watching the DJ play for about 20-30 minutes and one of the girls in our group had to pee. So she gets the key, goes to the bike, rides off to use the bathroom. She is gone about 5 minutes and I decide to check on the bikes. Had a random feeling to just go and check on them. So I go over there and by this time there are what seemed like hundreds more bikes that had parked in the area since we got there. So I'm searching with my light and I finally locate out pile of bikes. They are all there excepts for the girls who went to the restroom, and mine. So I'm like ok well I'll scope the area out for a little bit, I'm looking around and I don't end up seeing it.

In the end I never found it. I can only hope somebody got some good use out of it. But my point is sometimes you can take every precaution possible and still not have much control over the situation when things like this happen. Sometimes its just out of your hands.

I can say the one cool thing that came out of it was for the rest of that year, and also last years burn, I walked the whole entire time and it was the coolest way to get around. I had a more personal discovery of the playa. I saw more. I did more. I met tons more people. It was definitely a more intimate experience than being on a bike and going directly from point A to point B.

And Playa Tom I think maybe he was fooling around about the shot in the ass. At least I hope he was fooling around. :shock:
-AJ )'(

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Sure, even taking every precaution shit still might happen.
It's called life.
My point is, even if a bike does get stolen, a gun won't get it back. You are not likely to ever see it again, nor are you likely to catch someone in the act.

Playa Tom--
I am with you. I think it's a selfish, materialistic, ignorant, hateful act to shoot someone over a few pounds of metal.
Hand guns are for killing people. Only a stupid person would aim a gun and shoot at another person with no intent on killing that person. STUPID!
Not once in this thread have I seen any talk of a good reason for the killing of another person. Just stupid greed and materialism.

Target practice on the other hand is fun.........at a shooting range far from a crowd of 50,000 people.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Badger wrote:
I have seen Badger try to handle 2 penises at once.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Playa Tom wrote:Am I the only person who is amazed that no one has been offended by the original post in this tread advocating the use of deadly force for the offense of petty theft. A .22 in the butt is not a trivial matter, a .22 will kill a person as dead as a .44 Magnum. This is precisely why guns are not tolerated at Burning Man. Our community of 50,000 is not crime free but a bunch of loonies running around with firearms will do nothing but endanger the safety of allof us.
I'm basically filled with a sense of here we go again, I'm crossing the road because I don't have time to fall into this trap.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:20 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
Badger wrote:
I have seen Badger try to handle 2 penises at once.

Was yours one of em? :shock:

Sorry I had to... :lol:
-AJ )'(

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: CRIME! GUNS! second amendment?

Post by CapSmashy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Porschebug wrote:Hey, look burners, in passing through and/or staying in reno we can rest assured that we will be part of a wonderful community, so wonderfully welcoming and accommodating such that they are safer than 7% of US cities! And i'll feel even safer without my gun that i'm not allowed to take to burning man to protect myself?[/b]
So... what violent crime in particular are you worried about experiencing in either Reno or at Burning Man? I mean sure, shit happens sometimes, but for the most part, your chances of actually being victimized are minuscule. Unless, of course, you intentionally go putting yourself into a situation or area you do not belong in.
Anyone have the full story on why this is a gun free zone? Nevada is pretty gun friendly - burning man is on private land now and not government, yes?
1. BLM says no guns as part of the permitting
2. The event organizers say no guns in exchange for allowing you to attend. Their party, their rules.

Not much else left to said story. This is no different from any other large event. You are prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm to sporting events, festivals, most amusement parks, etc. Burning Man is no different in terms of it being a large festival type event that firearms are routinely prohibited from.

Personally, I think this is a very sensible rule.
in any case i'm a NRA ALL THE WAY guy
Great, so you are an ALL THE WAY believer in the lies, bullshit and propaganda machine of the NRA. And before your panties get all bunched up, I'm an NRA life member. I think their actions over the past 18 to 24 months have been absolutely deplorable in terms of the bullshit they have been spewing on a regular basis.
i'm sure thats not the common thread among a bunch of lefty hippie west coast types but this is one pet peeve i have with the event...
So stay home and create an alternative, gun friendly event. Oh wait, that would actually take some effort. Its a lot easier to just sit and bitch about something isn't it? I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your complaint too.
If i wanted to kill a bunch of hippies without worrying about them being armed, burning man would be it! a field day of cleaning up america?
Actually, no. It would require an actual expenditure of effort on a pretty large scale. For starters, the location would be a massive deterrent to the typical mass shooter. They, the mass shooter profile type who are typically white males, 25 to 40 years old, who legally own guns and typically have no criminal record and also tend to be admitted hardline "conservatives", typically pick very easy and accessible targets where they know resistance will be minimal. Places like malls, churches, schools and similar locations where there are a lot of people and little to no law enforcement presence and that are conveniently located to their base.

An attack at Burning Man would require more effort than any of these cowards typically have the capacity for. Burning Man would also have to become a target of mainstream prejudice of the right wing pundit fucktards on talk radio and Fox News.
i jest, but also think this is a fundamental right that needs far more expanding than we have had for decades now, as the NRA has been very successful over time... and besides,
I feel there are numerous avenues that need significantly more control and regulation brought to bear upon the issue of personal carry.
just watch it turn from very red to very blue, a beautiful site - the map that is...
Not really. There are an exceptional number of people that I know are carrying firearms that should not be.
hey, maybe i could do a gun thing at burning man, but of course they would all have to be fake guns or pictures of guns?
I'm sure you could... but then again, there's that whole effort thing involved with it...
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:42 pm

*hugs Smashy*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:*hugs Smashy*

What she Said.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 pm

One word Smashy.......Gigidy!

Return to “Philosophical Center”