Shame on you Burning Man Organization.........

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Pyramid Lake Woman

Shame on you Burning Man Organization.........

Post by Pyramid Lake Woman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

I am an enrolled member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, and for the past 14 years that I've lived here on the reservation, I've watched every year as THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of burners travel through the rez. It is a yearly distruption to our daily life, that we have now come to accept. One of the perks that the Burning Man Organizers offer to Tribal Members is discounted tix for us and we have been allowed to take guests who are non-tribal at a greatly reduced price as well. In a way it was like compensation for all the BS that is associated with the burdening traffic (that's how I took it).......
This year the Burning Man Organizers raised the price of our Guest passes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH......I'm very peeved by this. What did we do wrong to deserve this? My goddaughter was planning on coming down to join my daughter, but now we cannot afford to take her. I am really curious as to why the Burning Man Organization would take away this small perk from us tribal members?....No one at the Tribe's Environmental Department really seemed to have an answer to this. Are there any Burning Man Staff that can give me an answer as to why this severe price increase was penalized on us?????????????????
Just keep an eye on your speedometer......

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:29 am

this does not sound fair or reasonable.

Do you mind figuring the percent increase and posting it (don't have to post $ values)? I am curious what the Org is up to here...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 pm

You might not like the logic but here goes:

The friends of locals probably represent the highest "non-participant" factor at the event. I've been attending for seven years and in my anecdotal, non-scientific observations, I've noticed these folks usually show up on Thursday night in a territorial mood and spoiling for a fight. After four days of peace, love and unicorn farts this new vibe is VERY apparent to me.

Yes, I'm stereotyping and yes, if Burning Man was held in my town and I was 19, I'd probably show up and behave the same way -- but judging from the last two years especially, I think this might be the BMorg's way of addressing this problem.

Also: Times are tough. Everybody's feeling the squeeze. Maybe they couldn't get La Contessa qualified as a "clunker."

My $.02
Irony. You're soaking in it.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Nice try EB, but you are kinda frofiling people by saying it like that, and since my previous camp was 95% locals, and guests of locals, I can say that you couldn't be more wrong.

What is happening, is that they finally figured out that some of the locals were selling thier guest passes out to people they didn't know for a profit of around $200 each.

Since guest passes are now $160 compared to $40 last year, it makes them harder to sell, and it puts a lot more money in the LLCs back pocket.

$160 is still pretty cheap compared to the tiered tickets, and if you attend the whole week, it is a fair price to pay.....even as a spectator.

Sorry for your dismay Pyramid lake lady, it is nothing personal towards the tribe, or to the locals, for that matter.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

trenton

Post by trenton » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Entertain this thought. At least you do get discounted tix, If you still dont have the money to attend there is( I believe ) there is a discount for economicly challenged through BMORG, or maybee through a art scholarship? Indain art is viewed to be great! But just asking, I thought I read that the Piute tribe frowned on nudism ? Or use the income from speeding tickets for those who wish to go? I know these suggestions are too late for this year but just an Idea. Or a taco stand , you cannot have enough taco stands! wich I visit every year.
Thanks
Trenton

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Perhaps BMORG just wants the cash. go figure.
don't forget to floss

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Pyramid Lake Woman,
Could you kindly contact tribal govenrnment and ask for an estimate of the amount of money the BM participants spend at tribal businesses. Please post the result here. Oh, and you might also mention any of the donations made by the BMorg to the Tribe as well.

Thanks for your efforts.

As I am sure is obvious; my point is that there are other, large, benefits gained by the Piute from proximity to BM. I fully expect to buy gas and last minute supplies on the reservation. I expect I'll spend a minimum of $100. Possibly more if we arrive early and spend the night and/or buy a meal.

I'll wager that the gross increase in revenues exceeds 1 million dollars during that 2 week period.

I was previously involved in another annual event. The local community was grumpy. Organizers made change with $2 bils and encouraged participants to spend the 2$ bills in town. The 2$ bills floated around the local economy for months. The following year the town was in love with us. Did everything short of throwing us a parade. The 2$ bill idea was brilliant. It made the economic impact very obvious to everyone in town.

slvrnmph
Burning Since: 2005

Post by slvrnmph » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Pyramid Lake Woman, is seems like your only complaint here is that you have to deal with traffic once year. You are still getting very heavily discounted tickets.

I am genuinely interested to know what is so horribly disruptive to your daily life in this situation?
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:23 pm

slvrnmph wrote:Pyramid Lake Woman, is seems like your only complaint here is that you have to deal with traffic once year. You are still getting very heavily discounted tickets.

I am genuinely interested to know what is so horribly disruptive to your daily life in this situation?
Wow. Really? Pull your head out of your ass. What is so horrible? Besides the fact that Native Americans are the most disenfranchised group in the entire country? The fact that burners dump crap on their land, visit the lake without permits, and have damaged tribal property? How about the burden they put on the community when someone has an accident or they have to trash removal due to burners recklessness? How about the fact that the US government has robbed them blind, killed their people and have a long legacy of abusing their rights? Now again, please ask a Native what they have to complain about.

The least Burning Man could do is give them discounted tickets if you ask me at the previous years rates.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

trenton wrote:Entertain this thought. At least you do get discounted tix, If you still dont have the money to attend there is( I believe ) there is a discount for economicly challenged through BMORG, or maybee through a art scholarship? Indain art is viewed to be great! But just asking, I thought I read that the Piute tribe frowned on nudism ? Or use the income from speeding tickets for those who wish to go? I know these suggestions are too late for this year but just an Idea. Or a taco stand , you cannot have enough taco stands! wich I visit every year.
Thanks
Trenton
Native American Art is viewed as great? Really? Great way to perpetuate stereotypes. You know cause all Native Americans do is sit around and make art. They are here to just entertain us right? Get a fucking a clue!

Also, do you really think they just pull people over and redistribute money from speeding tickets to the entire community? This is crass.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 am

you see my darling dorium, either trenton is a troll, or an amazingingly stupid white guy.

the jury is still out on this one...
Frida Be You & Me

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 am

well those must certainly be better than someone abusing multiple sock accounts... right simon?

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 am

hey! i'm Toe-Tally up front about all of my feet.
Frida Be You & Me

trenton

Post by trenton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:43 am

DoriumLux, look up Datsolalee( Louisa Keyser ) or Elaine Smokey, If you think there work is sterotypical then so be it, Thier talents are GREAT.

slvrnmph

Post by slvrnmph » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:47 am

[quote="DoriumLux"][quote="slvrnmph"]Pyramid Lake Woman, is seems like your only complaint here is that you have to deal with traffic once year. You are still getting very heavily discounted tickets.

I am genuinely interested to know what is so horribly disruptive to your daily life in this situation?[/quote]

Wow. Really? Pull your head out of your ass. What is so horrible? Besides the fact that Native Americans are the most disenfranchised group in the entire country? The fact that burners dump crap on their land, visit the lake without permits, and have damaged tribal property? How about the burden they put on the community when someone has an accident or they have to trash removal due to burners recklessness? How about the fact that the US government has robbed them blind, killed their people and have a long legacy of abusing their rights? Now again, please ask a Native what they have to complain about.

The least Burning Man could do is give them discounted tickets if you ask me at the previous years rates.[/quote]

Really, maybe you should pull your head out of your ass. The Burning Man organization shouldn't have to pay for what the US government did to the Native Americans. I asked specifically about Burning Man - not about the history of Native Americans. By your "reasoning" Burning Man should be extremely cheap for anyone the US government has screwed over, so let's go ahead and give all the blacks, all the women and also the Chinese & Japanese Americans cheap discounted tickets too. They have all had horrible things done to them too.

Why don't you go collect some facts about all the issues that occur that actually have to do with Burning Man. I doubt anyone will take you seriously with the way you have ranted. Your sense of self entitlement and that chip on your shoulder just make you sound like a stupid troll.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:28 am

well
we're all victims of something, aren't we?

personally, racially, socially, nationally........what group has not had their asses kicked, or, kicked someone elses?

find that and then ask for sympathy......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 am

-- but judging from the last two years especially, I think this might be the BMorg's way of addressing this problem.
And I think that might be about as off the mark as it gets.

As with most things I suspect the issue ultimately boils down to economics. It doesn't have shite to do with how locals 'participate.'

The original poster might also take into consideration that the reduced fees extended to local living adjacent to the even have had affordable (and subsidized) tickets to the event for some time now. The prices (for those having to pay) for discounted tickets has remained pretty consistent compared to the larger increase in ticket prices that the rest of us have had to absorb.

So excuse me if I don't sound too sympathetic to your situation.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am

It's the BMorg's party and they don't owe anybody anything.

That's the cold, dry truth, sorry.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am

You nailed it there, Dougly.

Pretty impressive considering your type use axes, not hammers.

Awww krap, there I go, profiling a group, how steroetypical of me.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:It's the BMorg's party and they don't owe anybody anything.
Except fees & taxes to the fed, state & local gov'ts; rent & food service to Bruno, contracts to Reno vendors, payroll to hipster dropouts working for the Man, etc.

Somebody should start printing I (HEART) INDIAN TACOS stickers for your SUVs, just to show you really do care a lot.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

EB

Post by EB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Nice try EB, but you are kinda profiling people by saying it like that...
eh, not really, but thanks for trying to tar me with that brush, asshole. I never mentioned race and, as I said, my observations were just that, observations.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 am

EB wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:Nice try EB, but you are kinda profiling people by saying it like that...
eh, not really, but thanks for trying to tar me with that brush, asshole.

You tarred yourself when you said that you were being stereotypical, buttmunch.

I never mentioned race and, as I said, my observations were just that, observations.

I never said that you said anything about race when I said you were profiling.
You do know there is a difference...right ?

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:07 pm

slvrnmph wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:
slvrnmph wrote:Pyramid Lake Woman, is seems like your only complaint here is that you have to deal with traffic once year. You are still getting very heavily discounted tickets.

The least Burning Man could do is give them discounted tickets if you ask me at the previous years rates.

Really, maybe you should pull your head out of your ass. The Burning Man organization shouldn't have to pay for what the US government did to the Native Americans. I asked specifically about Burning Man - not about the history of Native Americans. By your "reasoning" Burning Man should be extremely cheap for anyone the US government has screwed over, so let's go ahead and give all the blacks, all the women and also the Chinese & Japanese Americans cheap discounted tickets too. They have all had horrible things done to them too.

Why don't you go collect some facts about all the issues that occur that actually have to do with Burning Man. I doubt anyone will take you seriously with the way you have ranted. Your sense of self entitlement and that chip on your shoulder just make you sound like a stupid troll.
Facts? How much do you know about how reservations operate? Burning Man community does stress their community. Whenever they respond to accident on reservation it costs them money. It costs them money to have additional police on duty for catching speeders and other dangerous drivers who endanger us all. It takes them much longer to leave and return to reservation land when they must drive to Reno for work due to BM traffic. Burners have also kindly dumped trash on their property and they have had to pay out of pocket to clean it up. Burners in recent years have also vandalized property around the lake during BM. People have also abandoned cars on the side of the road that they have had to remove. There is a lot of ways that 30,000+ people effect a small community when they are just passing on through. Hell if you ask me it's a gift they even let us pass on through their land. After all, it is THEIR land. I don't think Burning Man should dole out tickets to anyone and everyone that has been screwed by the government. However, BM does burden a community that already has too many burdens.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: Shame on you Burning Man Organization.........

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Pyramid Lake Woman wrote:I am an enrolled member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, and for the past 14 years that I've lived here on the reservation, I've watched every year as THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of burners travel through the rez.
Remove the roads and they'll go around.

I know what you mean. All those people coming down from Washington pass through Portland and swarm the surplus stores, gas stations, etc. People in Portland should get a discount on our tickets for having to put up with Seattle and BC burners. (I can't afford to go this year.)

*troll*

Edit: Burners who abandon their trash on the road deserve to break down in the desert and be beaten and urinated upon by highway thugs in conspicuously-sparkly Road Warrior vehicles. Maybe Death Guild or somebody could patrol the highway violating litterers.
-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:41 pm

They don't actually own the road....just the ground under it.

slvrnmph

Post by slvrnmph » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:52 pm

DoriumLux,

I was serious about looking up facts. Like for instance that the BLM has always paid for local law enforcement expenses from the user fee revenue.

And as a commuter you never know what is going to impact the time your commute takes no matter what time of year it is. If you are concerned with the commute then go live closer to where you work.

Go petition the BLM to force the event to move. Find a way to legally keep the burners off the roads through tribal land.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

EB

Post by EB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:32 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:They don't actually own the road....just the ground under it.
Race-baiting again, I see...

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 pm

You are the only one here who is getting racist in this thread EB.

I am starting to understand why your name is EB...it's gotta be simple so that you can type it in without fucking it up.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Go petition the BLM to force the event to move. Find a way to legally keep the burners off the roads through tribal land.
Stupid Fucking Idea of the Week(TM)

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:28 am

Isotopia wrote: Stupid Fucking Idea of the Week(TM)
Is that SFIW OR SFIOTW, for short?

hummm, SFIOTW camp, would be interesting
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Return to “Philosophical Center”