Greeters ?? Blowing dust in cars & engine with shopvac!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:23 pm

littleflower wrote:still, i must have looked bewildered, because when i told the greeter i was a virgin, and had no desire to get out of my car in a dust storm to ring a bell, she said "you don't know what you're getting yourself into, do you?"
littleflower, oh, did you tell this story a lot later in the week? It's great. almost Zhu Zhu-ian. When you look at the pictures of the clear days, the playa looks clean doesn't it? I wondered how people got their tents full of dust, when the clear day photos look like a beige parking lot. LOL. The dust is instantaneous, but I learned I can cut down on cleanup if I keep the car closed up as much as I can.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:33 pm

but ... how do you keep the car closed when you enter? i kept trying ... lol ...

it is amazing, how quickly the dust pops up. it wasn't in gerlach, either ... just on the playa, that surprised me. but that's what we get, i s'pose ... the dust wouldn't be there at all if we weren't.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:20 pm

entering... well, that's where my plan falls short.

supermira

Re: Greeters ?? Blowing dust in cars & engine with shop

Post by supermira » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:While SOME might have gotten into your windows, your characterization of it is that he loaded the damn thing up, came charging up and basically firehosed your car.
I appreciate you letting us know what this guy 'generally' does. We only know what what happened to us, and that was what I originally stated.

Everyone has a varying opinion as to what extent this prank is funny or not, and to the threshold of dust that is tolerable to them vs. friends with health concerns, or an old RV vs. a rental vehicle), and insight how to have handled the situation
(btw, destroying his vac....is tit-for-tat -- you did this to me now I'm gonna do this to you -- exactly the passive commerce that can revert our whole community into the mindless reactive society we would like to leave behind)

.... not the point.

Words on paper can read dramatic and I certainly didnt intend to begin a "demonizing" bitchfest over alleged topic : 'I'm a little more dusty than I was before YOU came along!'

That being said, I say with all seriousness :
Rationalizing (including stereotyping and/or shedding light on previous life experiences) for voluntary behavior that impacts (not irritates, not annoys) but IMPACTS another participant in a way that they have expressed that they did not want to be impacted IS NOT OK. The 5th Principle of Radical Self-expression states,"the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient".
philosopher wrote: That doesn't mean we are unable to come to some bottom-line determination here. I would say it is this: no one in BRC should be forced to endure the full duration of a prank which they didn't ask for and would like to escape but can't. That's not just about the gate, but theme camps as well.
Exactly! Its not about the freakin' dust, which believe it or not, I CAN see the humor . . . Its about the inconsideration of imposing one's actions on another. Regardless of his intention, he did not stop when we asked him to . . . and thats what I perceive as a personal violation as well as a disregard of participant agreements.... whether one is a gater, greeter, independent, spectator, or just a funny guy thats been through some crazy sh*t. There is no doubt that past experience shapes us to who we are today.

In my eyes, BM is so magical because individuals are able to put their past and future aside or at least in perspective - to experience the present as they wish it to be. Dwelling on who's done this or that in the default, or these days its who's camped over here or over there, starts to become the self-fulfilling prophecy we wish to rise above, if only for the week.

No actual damage done - save my rose colored glasses. It is still my hope that positive energy on the playa is collectively reinforced by holding the bar a little higher. . . across the board.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm

brava!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Lord Of Ruin

Re: Greeters ?? Blowing dust in cars & engine with shop

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am

[quote="supermira"]
In my eyes, BM is so magical because individuals are able to put their past and future aside or at least in perspective - to experience the present as they wish it to be...
[/quote]

<cough>Hippy<cough>

Well, truth be told there are lots of art and sound installations that infringe on our collective personal space and comfort at BM. Yet somehow the advice is to "bring earplugs" for example, not to ask them to stop infringing on your rights/wishes/personal space. Or are we to march up to large-scale sound camps and thank them politely for the show, but that they have to shut down now because it's your beddy-bye time?

Obviously I'm being facetious here, but I still say that this is particular prank/incident is more about what BM came from, rather than were some people think it's going. With roots in Cacophony Society (and the offending person has been involved since that time, btw) the playa was not some happy-go-lucky-make-sure-I-don't_offend-you-let's-hug-it-out-bitch, but rather a more rough and tumble place.

I do suppose you were a bit "trapped" in lanes, and that bit sucks. I dunno, the first time it happened to me, I pushed the participants back into the car and we locked the doors laughing until he moved on. Maybe that wasn't an option for you guys. Maybe it was, but you felt you shouldn't have to do that.

But rest assured, as soon as I emerged, I promptly ran to Mommy and Daddy to punish the bad man with the shop vac.

Words to the wise: on future trips to the playa, be sure to avoid DPW ghetto, the Black Hole, DSC and any large sound camp. They are all surely going to offend and upset you.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

so, I'd wonder:

if offended by said purveyor of dust, a person bitch slapped him, broke his machine, and, piled him and the offending equipment by the side of the road, would they be looked upon as having no sense of humor, over reacting, or, just taking the performance art to one of it's logical conclusions?...........

*spelling edit*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 am

In the old days you could have chased him around with your car until you crushed the vacuum while everyone laughed.

And I like the ghetto.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 am

sometimes, the feeling of stuff breaking in your hands is more satisfying,....for me, anyway.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Yep.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm

sometimes, the feeling of stuff breaking in your hands is more satisfying,....for me, anyway.......
Yes but for others chasing the offender down with your car and pinning him under your front bumper is just as satisfying. I mean, there's no actual tactile sensation of something breaking in your hands but equal pleasure can be derived by sensing one's spirit is slowly breaking as you rev your engine over the person you've successfully pinned down.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Isotopia wrote:
Yes but for others chasing the offender down with your car and pinning him under your front bumper is just as satisfying. I mean, there's no actual tactile sensation of something breaking in your hands but equal pleasure can be derived by sensing one's spirit is slowly breaking as you rev your engine over the person you've successfully pinned down.
good points.

and, of course, options and variety are always nice.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Remind me to never, ever cut Iso off in traffic.

*Imagines a cold and lonely death*

Never, ever, ever!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm

ygmir wrote:sometimes, the feeling of stuff breaking in your hands is more satisfying,....for me, anyway.......
A proper sports car suspension can provide that tactile feedback.

A race car can tell you whether you ran over a dime or a quarter.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:37 pm

When my MV is all loaded down with full propane tanks and people on top, I can still tell the difference between a raver and a hippie under my tires.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:When my MV is all loaded down with full propane tanks and people on top, I can still tell the difference between a raver and a hippie under my tires.
You, sir, have achieved a sort of playa-zen protection that most of us can only dream of.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:When my MV is all loaded down with full propane tanks and people on top, I can still tell the difference between a raver and a hippie under my tires.
Which one compresses under the tires easier? I'd assume the hippie since they are "all natural" vs. the raver with all those chemicals they take in.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:29 pm

I believe the raver makes a certain sound as the lungs are compressed by the tires, in the last exhalation... "ooooooontz" isn't it?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:33 am

that's all well and good........and, at times, understandable, but really, can it compare to the crush/snap and gurggle of doing it by hand?.....

just sayin'...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 am

When squeezing a raver, gradually increase the pressure so that you don't create a hazardous projectile with the pacifier.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:35 am

When you roll over a hippie with your SUV they make a noise like a cheap poo-poo cushion. I think it's all that tofu gas getting compressed out of their bums.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Lol the pacifier. well said, dick!

drucake

Post by drucake » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 am

i would have been pissed. the outside of the car is one thing but the inside? fuck that!

falk

Post by falk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:It's simple. Someone does that, you pull out your pocket knife and cut the fucking hose off it. Hey, it was funny when he was fucking up your stuff.
Seconded.

Or carry a good set of wire cutters. Would have worked on that douchebag with the lawn mower too.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:22 pm

For some unknown reason, people think they must be respectful of the greeters when they act like flaming assholes. I would have taken the blower out of their hands, shoved it up their ass and turned that blower on HIGH! If someone does that kind of stupid thing, they don't deserve any type of respect.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Shambala wrote:For some unknown reason, people think they must be respectful of the greeters when they act like flaming assholes. I would have taken the blower out of their hands, shoved it up their ass and turned that blower on HIGH! If someone does that kind of stupid thing, they don't deserve any type of respect.
One more time, IT WAS GATE, NOT GREETERS!
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 am

the shop vac probably made a helluva lotta noise. Wasn't there enough time to roll your windows up?

winebuff
Burning Since: 2010

Post by winebuff » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:10 pm

I too, would have had a fucking cow if he did that to me.
Of course I havent gone yet, next year!!!

Sooooo, on that note. Please please please tell me what your initiation prank was you had done on you for the first time you rang the bell.....
Dust angels, spanked?????? Can you bitch slap them and tell them to leave you the hell alone?

magicmarty
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 pm

First year was a roll in the dust. Car got dusty

Second year an hellacious dust storm

Third year a lovley topless lass gave us a great warm smile and a hug and a kiss

Guess which one was the best
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm

the "reacharound"?.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan