Greeters ?? Blowing dust in cars & engine with shopvac!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm

gyre wrote:In the old days you could have chased him around with your car until you crushed the vacuum while everyone laughed.
AHAAAA HAA HAA HAAA!!!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Never had an initiation prank and I do not regret it. I got some great advice on where to set up camp from a nice greeter my virgin year. The 9:00 side is fun but then again so is the whole city.

(edit)
I do remember coming up to gate my first year and seeing a couple giving the gate crew of their lane a hard time during the "search." As the happening progressed the couple ended up pouring one of their water containers on the ground and then pouring all the other containers one by one in to a subsequent empty container. I was slightly flabbergasted and worried for my own "crossing" but wondered at what international border crossing the gate person learned that trick. That got some good behavior out of the couple and they were shortly through the gate with slightly less water though.
My first year entry was a snap. The searcher saw my Aurora Fire placard and waved me through exclaiming, "I don't search fire fighters." That was cool.
I always try to prepare for gate by packing in a way that allows them to see or get to most of my cargo to look for stow aways and all my paperwork is in order so there will not be an issue. That still did not stop me from being put in D lot due to a early entry snafu in 2008. But that was sorted out rather quickly and I got to have the D lot experience. :) Been there done that. :P
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Sounds like something to keep in mind for the future, if you're in line at the greeter station and you see a shopvac, attempt to move to another station

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 am

or, aim for it..........crush it to bits........thrash the operator, and, say,
"welcome home"...........

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:01 am

What if some poor sucker shows up with a shop vac, and he's actually using it as a vacuum cleaner? "Here friend, let me clean up a bit, Hey?!"

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:12 am

"no good deed goes unpunished".................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:19 pm

isn't that a sucking machine?

jeeze you thread drifter............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

zachass

Post by zachass » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Bob wrote:Image
I ah.....er, well. Ok.

So, oddly enough, they don't tell you about these pranks and things in the newbie guides and such.

Bell? Gate vs. Greeters? Prey tell.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:01 am

zachass wrote:Gate vs. Greeters? Prey tell.
Oh, all the volenteer departments have their little rivalries. Rangers v. DPW, Rangers v. ESD, Greeters v. Lamplighters, you name it. Face it, humans naturally sort themselves into "tribes" and look to the next territory to get into wars. Doesn't stop on playa.
And for prey, well, no good hunter is going to tip his hand.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

SeaSparks
Burning Since: 2004

Post by SeaSparks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I was in the lanes, not sure if I got it worse or the cars... either way it was what it was. Freakin fun to see the picture of it tho...

That was a long, hard and fucking fun night!

Next time just ask for my knife... the cord ot the hose will not stand up to her for even a second and I would pass out from laughing so hard.

Bling

Re: Greeters ?? Blowing dust in cars & engine with shop

Post by Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:I saw this prank happening, and have been alongside it happening for the last three years or so....The prank might have gone too far in this case...
Wow, I'm pissed off reading that anyone would think it was a "prank" to blow dust INTO someone's car. But, then, heck, it's BURNING MAN. How hilarious would it be to douse the vacuum cleaner with lighter fluid and set it on fire?

Not very.

But I'd happily whip out my handy Leatherman tool and chop off that damn hose!

Now that I'm forewarned, I might just have to think of some form of retribution, in case such an "event" was tried on my car. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that everyone who reads this thread will be thinking about that. So, maybe some other prank would be a better idea?

failblog

Post by failblog » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:14 pm

it's just the idea that all volunteers feel they're better than every citizen. they're 'us' and you're 'them'. pumping dust into your vehicle is justified because you're just tourists visiting their town.

and you all put up with it. none of you would ever actually knock the bastard out, and he knows it. you just laugh it off in order to preserve the good move, then talk big on eplaya later.

same thing will happen next year.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 pm

failblog wrote:it's just the idea that all volunteers feel they're better than every citizen. they're 'us' and you're 'them'. pumping dust into your vehicle is justified because you're just tourists visiting their town.

and you all put up with it. none of you would ever actually knock the bastard out, and he knows it. you just laugh it off in order to preserve the good move, then talk big on eplaya later.

same thing will happen next year.
Knock him out?
No.
Armbar him and threaten to break his damn arm if he doesn't knock it off?
You better fucking believe it.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 am

I don't think all volunteers think they are better then non volunteers! I for one volunteer not so I can feel better about myself, but because I actually have a blast doing it, and meet a ton of really cool people in the process. Try it you might even like it!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 am

i'd cut the cord...without thinking twice about it
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Return to “Philosophical Center”