Obsessed??? How many times a day do you think about BM??

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
magicmarty
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 pm

This will be my fourth Burn, and I think about it once a day...... all day. And yes, it does enter my dreams.

I don't bother trying to explain it to my non burner friends. You need to go to understand.

See you at home in 2010!
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

judging by how much I post.........a lot.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MyPlayaUserName
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Anywhere from 5-50.

Last night I had one of those dreams that was such an incredibly accurate portrayal of Burning Man that I woke up in the middle of the night, so excited for my next (4th) burn that I couldn't sleep and ended up watching the sunrise.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

ygmir wrote:judging by how much I post.........a lot.........
I never think about whatsits when I post.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 am

There is a lull period between when get back and about 6 months out for the next trip. Probably think about it twice a week until get closer...then...then it starts to slowly consume me (like the apex of a storm sucking cows & cars into the eye of the storm) :D .
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

It might be easier to count the times when I am NOT thinking about Burning Man... Ummm, gee, I really cant think of when that last happened ... ;)

A burn is as close as the nearest match!

TTFN.,

Rice

janicels

Post by janicels » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:41 pm

tooo mannny
whooo we are camping with greeters....it will be great

moon.babee

Post by moon.babee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 am

*cough* all damn day. and night.
This is your Elysium.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:38 pm

As many have stated, I think about it off and on alllllll day. And I dream about it at night! :D

Yes, I'm obsessed.

jeskalgh
Burning Since: 2008

Post by jeskalgh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:41 pm

you are not alone! Its all i can think about about and all i can do is just put more and more time and effort into preparation for this year! Plus the playa dust still seeps from the cracks in my car every time it rains...ahh its the little things.
Leave no trace.

Oso

Post by Oso » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:02 pm

There was this one day back in February where it didn't even cross my mind.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.

MadCellist

Post by MadCellist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:50 pm

For over a decade any mention of Burning Man and I'd say, "Ya that's something I want to experience some day...." While deep down I was thinking, "FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, now I'll have that obsession back in my head for another 3 - 6 months until I realize I'm a starving (student/musician/family man/suburbanite//////) and can't afford it."

Then I found out about the local events and I can't get it out of my head. I'd been dreaming of Burning Man since I read about it in 1997. If I didn't have a kid due in June I'd be packing up the wife and heading out to Burning Man. It's not to be this year but I'll be at the two local events.

I have a feeling that this bug is going to stick around a LONG time.

-MC

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:02 am

I wouldn't say that I think about it EVERY day, but it is definitely a constant source of inspiration in my life. Whenever I am having a bad day, or am dealing with one of the multitude of assholes that live here in NYC, I think about the Playa, the community, and it keeps me going...

Also helps that I finally got my BM tat... :wink:

Nadamal

Post by Nadamal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 pm

my friends used to tell me how they loved that i had so much enthusiasm for things.

there haven't been any compliments on that enthusiasm for quite a while now.

MadCellist

Post by MadCellist » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Unfortunately the hedonist catch 22.

The new things are the most awesome thing on earth for the first several times, then the 'new and exciting' becomes the normal. Sigh.... Glad there's still plenty left on my hedonism list of things to accomplish, but B.M. will be the obsession for at least a few years :D

-MC

Nadamal

Post by Nadamal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:22 pm

MadCellist wrote:Unfortunately the hedonist catch 22.

The new things are the most awesome thing on earth for the first several times, then the 'new and exciting' becomes the normal. Sigh.... Glad there's still plenty left on my hedonism list of things to accomplish, but B.M. will be the obsession for at least a few years :D

-MC

- no, what i meant was my friends are so sick of hearing me start sentences with: "okay, so I have this GREAT idea for BMan next year..." or "Let me tell you about the WICKEDEST thing I saw last year at BM!!" that they've stopped encouraging me, they know right where my trains of thought are headed.

MadCellist

Post by MadCellist » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Nadamal wrote:

-MC

- no, what i meant was my friends are so sick of hearing me start sentences with: "okay, so I have this GREAT idea for BMan next year..." or "Let me tell you about the WICKEDEST thing I saw last year at BM!!" that they've stopped encouraging me, they know right where my trains of thought are headed.
Well that is much more encouraging, just paid bills, budget for pre-heat is reduced $50 due to a hike in electricity prices :(

Absolutely wired. Would be rain testing my tent if it weren't 2 am.

-MC

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 am

I'm now thinking of it all the time. I'm cleaning out my clutter and gathering my camping gear together in one place. While doing this I've been finding some little thing and telling my husband how awesome it will be to add this to my burning man gear. He doesn't want to go so he's not amused, lol.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Oso

Post by Oso » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Nadamal wrote:

-MC

So....... by the way........... what is your great idea for BM? And, what is the wickedest thing that you saw? (I'm encouraging you cause I AM interested)
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Burning Man is not for thinking. It is about doing. And burning. In the dust.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 am

Got kicked into first gear on a playa project last week.

So I went shopping on ebay. *eyeroll*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

whaleboy

Post by whaleboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Last year it was actually the source of some real friction between dear wife and self; I was so full-time about bm planning that she started to feel like I there was no room for her in my burning man. This from a woman to whom I got engaged on-playa.

This year she's all good. More fully on-board!
My God, it's full of Stars!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 pm

A lot. I want to make sure I have everything, which I know is impossible, for my first time out. I know I'm over thinking it but I can't help myself. Its finally my time to go and I'm so excited! I have lists for lists. Its sad and dorky but I can't help it. I have most of my outfits planned except if it rains (umbrella, rain boots, and a smile? :shock: ). And I have a pile in my living room that is getting larger. Now all I need to do is calm down. :oops:
We break to remind us how to mend.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Burning Man is not for thinking. It is about doing. And burning. In the dust.
as extolled by "HWMUSBNC"

he who makes us sad by not coming
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Gage
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Post by Gage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:21 pm

I've had a twitter account for over a year, never used it but finally logged in a few weeks ago to try it out. I started following a few friends, and somehow found the Burning Man Countdown twitter account. *subscribed*

Thinking about Burning Man is like day dreaming. Random thoughts jump into my head when I see/hear/smell something that reminds me of the playa. But now, the countdown twitter texts me each day (at different times), inducing new day dreams...

"The Man burns in 76 days!! )'(
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 am

I think about it once a day, for 24 hours.

MisaBlue

Post by MisaBlue » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:16 am

Same with me bluesbob :D

shroom

Post by shroom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:27 am

Seems like I'm doing that too! ^^
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm

snake wrote:and after you've been to burningman...bman will invade your dreams!!
oddly lit dusty streets, weird people with expectations, too many places to go, strange relationships, and lots of fire! i dream bman once or twice a week!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My version of the naked dream is that I go to. Burning man and I'm not prepared. I don't have any equipment, or necessities, and try to figure out how to get home quickly to get what I need.

Honestly, I think the dream is an inverse of reality. I go home every year to the playa to get what I need to get by for another 51 weeks in the DW.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 am

Always! hoping and dreaming and crossing my fingers. The essentials still have yet to come together. So, I look for oppurtunities, deals, sales, and friends to collaborate with.. all day every day! ARt is work is life is burning man!

Return to “Philosophical Center”