Playa Dreams

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

How often do you dream about the Playa?

Never (Psh, psychos!)
3%
Never (Psh, psychos!)
3%
Only once or twice ever
11%
Only once or twice ever
11%
At least once a month!
18%
At least once a month!
18%
Weekly! I love it!
11%
Weekly! I love it!
11%
Every night, its my life!
7%
Every night, its my life!
7%

Total votes: 100

LindseyRaeFace

Playa Dreams

Post by LindseyRaeFace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:50 am

Ive been dreaming repeatedly about the playa, especially in the past few weeks. Some are abstract representations of the playa, others i can taste the dust... Each one teaching me through the ways of the playa how to deal with events in my life.

Im curious what kinda of dreams other people have about the playa, BM, and the exeprience as a whole.... [b]Care to share? [/b] :D

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:58 am

I have only had a couple and only remember one. I was going to burning man and i was staying at my friends house, since she lived a couple blocks from the playa. I get there and throw all my stuff down and think "Awesome, nothing to set up and i can just leave everything i dont need right here" I grab my backpack and head out to the playa. when i got to Esplanade all the camps were cheap fair rides, haunted houses, and popcorn stands.

I remember some i had before i had actually gone and those were funny...like WTF are you dreaming about?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

LindseyRaeFace

Post by LindseyRaeFace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 am

I had a few dreams before my first burn, the one i remember the most ended with my friends that i was camping with surrounding me, all of us sitting on top if our bags, boxes, tents, etc in the middle of the empty desert. To my right i saw on the horizon the city rising, building, coming closer... to my left i felt the earth rumble as a stampeded of horses with Burners on them coming full speed at us, as the city started coming quickly towards us from the other side and they collided into us as the party began... =)

A lot of mine have to do with the prep before and the party begining.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm

i was dreaming of star treck

oh great. another born-again poor speller....What the fuck are they TEACHING you in sunday school?
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:
i was dreaming of star treck

oh great. another born-again poor speller....What the fuck are they TEACHING you in sunday school?
yeah, and the "new" star trek to boot........
Jeeze.....

now, Yeoman Lester.....hubbba hubba.......even the android, Rayna.......

and, Sailman, we all know you'd want a Kelvan.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I used to have dreams about being out on the playa, even before I left for the 1st time. But without context, it's like whoa where in hades are we? Sort of like having a dream about a dream.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 am

I tend to have dreams about being on my way there, or having just arrived, and being really happy about it. Unfortunately there's also often some element of me gradually realizing that I've overlooked getting or bringing some essential basic supplies like food and water, and having to do some last-minute scrambling to get them.

zachass

Post by zachass » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:22 am

2010 will be my first year, so I have no context.

I had my first one last night. It was solely based on my mind's eye's interpretation of what the playa will be like. I was inside my shelter (I'm going to build a hexayurt) and I felt like I I was dirty. I woke up with the strong sense that I had been touching a 9-volt battery battery to my tongue - because on the side of a generic 9-volt battery is the word ALKALINE.

And that's it. A brief glimpse of what I think the inside of my structure will look like on the playa and (even still right now) the memory of 9-volt battery tongue.

Weird.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 am

I dreamt an art project I would still like to do. I've dreamt of red dust storms, abandoned ranches as art, and the Man as an archer in Neon, gigantic as the moon rising above the playa. I have dreamt of strolling the Esplanade, dodging naked bikers (which is pretty real). I dreamt of retirees digging a swimming pool, and of engineers installing rubber work mats at all the intersections.

I've dreamt of Burning Man in many locations and formats. As theme camps on islands in a river, as camps along a swamp, as an underground maze, as an enclosed mall, as a village clinging to a cliff. I often dream that it is time to go back to the default world and I've not yet ventured out to the deep playa to find the art there. I stayed in camp all week, trying to do chores. That one is common for me. It is Friday already??? We aren't staying for he burn? But I haven't seen the art yet!

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 pm

I had a dream in 2006 where I was in ibdave’s motor home on the way out to the Burn with a virgin burner. The Burning Man Organization had been purchased by the Mormon church and had been moved to the Salt Lake. When we got to the gate the whitest man you ever say said, “Welcome to THE Burning Man.â€

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:32 pm

I had a dream that Lake Lahontan was back, and the edges of the lake were all green and a lot rich snobs had built condos and resorts all along the shores.

Timezone LaFontaine
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am

I dreamt last night that I was watching a large screen video projection of a group of Lamplighters skydiving in a circular formation, carrying the flame to light the man in the center of their formation. They landed all at once and ran over to light the man like glorious badasses. I was trying to figure out what year it was by looking at the base of the man, which seemed to be reminiscent of some kind of tropical aquatic plants. There was also some kind of huge installation in the sky, which was made of balloons and arranged like a gigantic DNA double-helix. It was fresh...

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 pm

..........I dreamt once, I was a man, dreaming I was a butterfly...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

you were re-birthed Ygmir.

I always dream that burning man is on a huge beach & I can never find the ocean. go figure.
don't forget to floss

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

re-birthed?.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:31 pm

the man represents the cocoon and the butterfly is the birth..
:) goddamn hippie dreams.
don't forget to floss

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:41 pm

egad.........not a hippy dream............

*looks for lynyrd skynyrd, and, Wagner, CD*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 am

Burningman encompasses so much of my life that even my"haha" normal dreams have Burner tendencies.
All my dreams will have some element of Playa in them, from going to the grocery store defaultia, dressed in my tu-tu bikini top and tall boots, to seeing art cars travel with me to a destination...hahaha

I dont even know whats real anymore! hahaa

But I will tell you, that my best playa dreams, were previous to my first trip out! What an imagination I had, me thinks I have been there before I was there in a parallel universe, cause I had it right!

My second favorite was our first year of doing the Booby bar and the Shiva Vista, I was so busy that year that I NEVER got to go to 9o'clock plaza (real)
So when we returned to lemmongrad I had playa dreams for weeks about 9 o'clock plaza parties and all these new people, who I never met, I got to meet!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

justfred

Post by justfred » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:07 am

See also: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=32013

Playa dreams are the reason I still go after 13 years.

Had another last night - I was driving around a sandy desert in a Cadillac looking for an event that we had directions to by GPS.

Often they're in another location: island, city, plains, fairgrrounds.
What goes around, comes around.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:12 am

justfred wrote:See also: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=32013

Playa dreams are the reason I still go after 13 years.

Had another last night - I was driving around a sandy desert in a Cadillac looking for an event that we had directions to by GPS.

Often they're in another location: island, city, plains, fairgrrounds.

hahaa, we intercepted in reality (?) a car while working perimeter......they were way out in deep playa, coming from Wisconsin, using their GPS to find BRC...and, couldn't figure how to find the gate.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I had a dream that Lake Lahontan was back, and the edges of the lake were all green and a lot rich snobs had built condos and resorts all along the shores.

out of the mouths of barbs...
Frida Be You & Me

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't dream at night about it, but I walk by my playa gear (just stored the ancient motorhome I use just for the playa) every day. Many times I will just stop to consider, what do I need next year? Or, that really worked well. I dream wide awake. I remember them better.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

zachass

Post by zachass » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:09 pm

teardropper wrote:I don't dream at night about it, but I walk by my playa gear (just stored the ancient motorhome I use just for the playa) every day. Many times I will just stop to consider, what do I need next year? Or, that really worked well. I dream wide awake. I remember them better.
I like how you said this.

As a virgin, I'm pretty curious if what my mind's eye is telling me, is actually true.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

j_cavera

Post by j_cavera » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 am

Had one last night and now I've the perfect design for an art "car": A 10' helium filled weather balloon with a trapeeze bar hanging underneath! Okay, I don't know how I made it go. Or steer. Or stay level. Or avoid the wind.

Damn. Maybe not so good after all.

:cry:

- Jim

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:39 pm

I have Burning Man inspired dreams fairly frequently. The most vivid and memorable one to date - everything seemed to be typically Burning Man-ish on the surface until I realized that the whole playa was infested with giant underground robotic scorpions and my boyfriend and I were the only ones with weapons capable of destroying them. We were doing everything we could to protect people, but he was having a hard time keeping up because he was dressed like Stevie Nicks and his shawl kept getting caught in the firing mechanism of his grenade launcher.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 pm

That doesn't sound like a dream to me. That sounds more like my typical day at Burning Man.

Happily, I pretty much would have come down by nightfall.

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm

I had a dream that I went to sleep after a hard night of partying and dancing, and woke up completely alone on the Playa, just me and the tent. Oddly enough, in my dream I wasn't bothered by this, I just sort of shrugged it off and smiled...
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:22 pm

I had a fun one the other day...
I was camping on the side of this ditch, and I came out of the camper I noticed up over the ditch that down below was the playa, when I looked onto the middle of the playa, there were the biggest of the mutated vehicles doing some kind of race?

They would start up, then get going really fast (90mph)then take this big huge ass JUMP!

I mean big Mutated vehicles, example the first one was some big ass old decorated truck with a upside down Uchrania(the waffle,life size) on top of it. The Contessa, etc, type HUGE MV's!!! 100's of them doing it!

I so expected all the MV's to totally fall apart and catch on fire, but each driver would get out after they finished and run around laffing.

Then as I was sitting on the edge of the ditch in between some kind of pylons, some one came by the edge and had a huge flame thrower firing the top of the ditch road, I ran to the camper shut the door, knowing that we would be on fire! Nope, opened the door and everything was fine, so I went back over to the ditch, just in time to see Doc Jet sinister get her jeep stuck on the side of the ditch.
I cant remember now, but for some reason I was driving back into this town, and I had to go real fast to make it by this train, so I went real fast, turned the corner and the car went sideways along the side of the train that happened to be traveling with a glass sliding glass windows on the side, I drove across them and then landed the car back on the street.
It was amazing, I didnt break a single payne!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 pm

I have playa dreams quite often and had one last night. I am already forgetting many of the specifics, but I do recall I was in the DPW warehouse / slash workshop (no it doesn't really exist like it was in my dream) and they were selling off these odd lift mechanisms for $20.00. They were also offering a 75' JLG type bucket lift like they use for working on the man (I don't think they even make a 75' one) for $200.00. The lift was like new. I was in the frenzy of guys trying to dismantle and haul one of the other lifts (sort of a cross between a rolling scaffold tower and a scissor lift)... back to my camp. At one point realized I was in some logo wear I wouldn't normally be caught dead in even in defaultia and commented on being totally in the wrong type of clothing. The DPW building was located along one edge of the rectangular(!) layout of the city, right in the center. I remember taking a look around inside and seeing a long row of different bandsaws and a long row of washers and dryers. The building was cavernous and very permanent. And the DPW guy I was talking with was very nice... odd huh? ;-) Not much else very clear to me now, but it was a very vivid dream... who knows what it meant.

Is it August yet?
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:09 pm

You are my playa dream, baby!

Just a line I am working on, what do you thimk?

Return to “Philosophical Center”