Once in a lifetime experience or once a year experience?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Blompson
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Once in a lifetime experience or once a year experience?

Postby Blompson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Does the burn feel like more of a once-a-lifetime experience, or a once-a-year experience to you? I expect it's a large jumbled mixture of both, though I have only been once.

In [briefly] considering selling my ticket this year, I started to think about "next year" before "this year" has even started, and I wondered about this.

Each burn is so unique.. filled to the brim with some experimental lunatic magic, yet there's an "each burn".

I apologize if this idea is a little half baked, I just wanted to throw it out there.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.

Blompson

Postby Blompson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:23 pm

.. and having reread my post, I realize that my signature sums it up perfectly.

bluesbob
Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

This year will be my first burn. The planning & excitement of going, the silly fun I've had on this forum, the cool people I've already "met" here, on Facebook, and from camps...all this makes me hope it's not a once in a lifetime event.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 pm

It is a once in a lifetime experience that happens every year.

No two burns are ever the same and not a single one of my ten years on the playa was better than the other.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Postby geospyder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Last year was my virgin year. It was going to be one of those once in a life time experiences. ...and here I am going again. My brother-in-law is attending for his virgin year from the Netherlands as a once in a life time experience. I'm curious if he'll be coming back over next year.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

ohCarie
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby ohCarie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 pm

I have never been, but I find that I am becoming keenly aware of those around me talking about "doing it once" or checking it off a list or those who do it so they can say they did.

Feels kinda sparkle ponyish. Which is weird because I honestly don't know what my own reaction will be or if I will return even though I am assuming that I am.

Why is there always a post about exactly what I am thinking?? :shock:
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony

Blompson

Postby Blompson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I suppose a bit of clarification could help: I posted this assuming that most of the people responding to it would either be repeat burners or would be planning to be repeat burners.

The intended question was whether or not people viewed the burns more as "part of a series" of burns or if they saw each one as a completely different beast (and if a mixture, to what degree.)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

We went in not knowing other burners, having only devoured the main website and read a magazine article. I wasn't on eplaya but I think I was on the Dioxine list right before. I mean, I knew enough to join Hushville and bring a LBD for Larry.

Supposed to be a one time thing. We're on burn ten now and as an eplaya mod, I think B-Man daily. I see the burn, the principles, or the lack thereof, in everything.

I am addicted.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

alt12
Burning Since: 2003

Postby alt12 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Token wrote:It is a once in a lifetime experience that happens every year.

No two burns are ever the same and not a single one of my ten years on the playa was better than the other.

Really? I can definitely point to at least one grade-A nightmare year complete with tearful breakdown as well as amazing years that standout.....

I definitely agree that no two burns are ever the same...

FjordLynn
Burning Since: 2005

Postby FjordLynn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Token wrote:It is a once in a lifetime experience that happens every year.

I 100% agree with this. Honestly, if it were the same, I wouldn't keep coming back. But every year, Kim and I get this nagging feeling that if we don't make it we'll miss something that will never happen again.
The Hookah Lounge Theme Camp Organizer

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby teardropper » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 am

I bought an old RV to take down there for just that one time. I was then going to sell it. I still own it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

flatlander13

Postby flatlander13 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:57 am

I went for the first time in 2001 to hook up with an old high school friend (Ibdave) who I hadn’t seen in 22 years. Every since that first time, there has been this force that draws me back. There is nothing like standing out on the open playa with Burning Man happening around and in you. I now go every other year…….I went in 2009 and won’t go back until 2011. I’ve already got my art project planned and asked my boss for the time off. Every burn is an adventure; good, bad or whatever. I didn’t know I would go back after my first burn…….it just happened that way.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP
Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:54 am

Every year is the best year. Chronologically, it is a once-yearly event. In my minds eye, however, it's like chapters in a book: each one that precedes it gives it depth-character-meaning...and with any good page-turner, you can't put it down :lol: ! In the light of sounding cliche, "the only thing better than this year is next year" :)
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."

Ke'Chara

Postby Ke'Chara » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:12 pm

I guess it depends on the individual. I personally can't see myself only doing it once (hence the return trip this year) but I can definitely see a friend of mine who went with us in 2008 not doing it again.

"Once in a lifetime that happens every year" about sums it up. :)
"One does not grow old. When one stops growing, one becomes old." ~anonymous~

LostinReno

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 pm

We'd been "talking" about going since the mid 90's. A lot of our friends have been going for years. Last year was our first year, I figured it would be a one time thing. We were there for maybe 5 hours and my husband was already making plans for this year. This from the man who absolutely did not want to go but had to because his job made him :roll: We camped with mostly seasoned burners. One of them said that last year was her best out of the 9-10 she'd been to. Another one thought it ok over past years. So it's different for everyone.

It's definately a very personal experience.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Prepare yourself for the barrage of questions of how do you get work that forces you to go to burningman.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

LostinReno

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Prepare yourself for the barrage of questions of how do you get work that forces you to go to burningman.

He hauls out all of the "liquid" waste. It's not all that great, he has to go to work at 5am every day and doesn't get back until about 3-4pm because of the traffic. Less guys this year so he's gotta work all week. :(

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 pm

LostinReno wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Prepare yourself for the barrage of questions of how do you get work that forces you to go to burningman.

He hauls out all of the "liquid" waste. It's not all that great, he has to go to work at 5am every day and doesn't get back until about 3-4pm because of the traffic. Less guys this year so he's gotta work all week. :(

Well, he has our gratitude. We couldn't run the city without him.
Thank you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

LostinReno

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
LostinReno wrote:

Well, he has our gratitude. We couldn't run the city without him.
Thank you.

Awww thanks! :D United Services treats them really good. Nice group of people!
We need to get Mike Rowe out there, I know they've already done the septic/porta toilet thing...but they've never done it on a Burning Man scale! LOL!
As usual, my mad thread drifting skills are at work...back to the OT... Just get your stuff packed and go!!!

Cooky

Postby Cooky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 pm

This will be my 15th consecutive Burn. Every year I ask myself if it's time to take a break or to stop going entirely. Each year so far I've decided that the "once in a lifetime" aspect is still a big enough part of each year that I'm going back.

Some years have been easy, some have been very difficult, some have had big immediate lessons, some have have lingering slow to realize lessons. And each has been unique. Each has held life long memory moments.

BurNER4life

Postby BurNER4life » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I know a guy who worked for a liquid waste disposal co. He was hired to go to the man and work and they never heard from him after the first day. They had to send someone to get his truck. He's a lifer now. :D
Kamp Khufu 7:30 and I

FREE MUSTACHE RIDES!

burningquestions

Re: Once in a lifetime experience or once a year experience?

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 am

Loricybin wrote:Does the burn feel like more of a once-a-lifetime experience, or a once-a-year experience to you? I expect it's a large jumbled mixture of both, though I have only been once.

In [briefly] considering selling my ticket this year, I started to think about "next year" before "this year" has even started, and I wondered about this.

Each burn is so unique.. filled to the brim with some experimental lunatic magic, yet there's an "each burn".

I apologize if this idea is a little half baked, I just wanted to throw it out there.

I lament the unneccessary pollution of our mother earth for your fleeting, drunken, amusement. Shame on you.

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Postby This Woman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Cooky, well said. My 15th year too, and the first year my brother will be attending. My mother has been making bets on whether or not this year is the last year for about the last 8 years.

Not yet.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm

I took off for 2 years... on one hand, worst 24 months ever... on the other, got hitched, almost got the other half out this year (damn school schedules!!)...

silkkat813
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby silkkat813 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm

It is different for everyone, depending on the person and their situation.

I think a lot of the Europeans I met think of it as a once in lifetime experience. They saw something on their local news, portraying some wild party, and decided to travel the US for awhile with BM as one of the stops. Some of them are great help. Some of them are too messed up all week to be much help.

Now this is not to say everyone from Europe is a one-timer. I know there are great Burners communities around the world and lots of people return as much as they can. I have great Burner friends from all over the world. But most of my Burner friends that return every year do so because they can and are located on the west coast USA/Canada. Driving their stuff from Cali or Vancouver is a lot easier than flying from overseas every year.

Then there are some that need visas and can't make it every year. So if they can only do it once, I feel it is better than never getting to experience it. (I just wish they would participate more!)

I went to Oktoberfest in Germany a few years ago. I met people from the US that fly there each year. I was explaining to my mom 'I liked it and it was fun, but I can't understand why people would fly to Munich every year just to party and drink beer."

She replied "well isn't that like you and Burning Man?"

I got defensive and explained Burning Man is not just a big party. I went on about the art and the people and blah blah. But I guess to some people, it is just a big party and a one-time experience.

If I get a "real job" soon that allows only 2weeks/year of vacation, not sure when I can return to BM. As a new person, I will be at the bottom of the list for vacation week picks. So not sure I can get off the week before Labor Day. I love Burning Man, but if I have only 2weeks to travel, some other places might start to win. I have friends that went once and loved it, but they rather use their vacation finding newer experiences.
*taking the long way HOME*

burningquestions

Postby burningquestions » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:41 am

silkkat813 wrote:It is different for everyone, depending on the person and their situation.

I think a lot of the Europeans I met think of it as a once in lifetime experience. They saw something on their local news, portraying some wild party, and decided to travel the US for awhile with BM as one of the stops. Some of them are great help. Some of them are too messed up all week to be much help.

Now this is not to say everyone from Europe is a one-timer. I know there are great Burners communities around the world and lots of people return as much as they can. I have great Burner friends from all over the world. But most of my Burner friends that return every year do so because they can and are located on the west coast USA/Canada. Driving their stuff from Cali or Vancouver is a lot easier than flying from overseas every year.

Then there are some that need visas and can't make it every year. So if they can only do it once, I feel it is better than never getting to experience it. (I just wish they would participate more!)

I went to Oktoberfest in Germany a few years ago. I met people from the US that fly there each year. I was explaining to my mom 'I liked it and it was fun, but I can't understand why people would fly to Munich every year just to party and drink beer."

She replied "well isn't that like you and Burning Man?"

I got defensive and explained Burning Man is not just a big party. I went on about the art and the people and blah blah. But I guess to some people, it is just a big party and a one-time experience.

If I get a "real job" soon that allows only 2weeks/year of vacation, not sure when I can return to BM. As a new person, I will be at the bottom of the list for vacation week picks. So not sure I can get off the week before Labor Day. I love Burning Man, but if I have only 2weeks to travel, some other places might start to win. I have friends that went once and loved it, but they rather use their vacation finding newer experiences.

There is no purpose for this post.

bluesbob
Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:09 am

I've said the same thing about all of yours.

bx1

Postby bx1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Wait... What?
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

mars

Postby mars » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Here's why it's not a once in a lifetime experience:

You go to Burning Man and no matter what you have read and how you have prepared, you are amazed by the SCOPE of the experience.

It's like you have the biggest most amazing fresh home-baked one-of-a-kind pie in front of you, but you can only eat a couple of pieces of it before you are too full for more. So you say to yourself, that was sooo awesome, I'm gonna have me another one of those. But the next pie (next year) it's still a pie and it's still huge and awesome, but it has different ingredients. It's soooo good, you want to eat the whole thing, but, again, you can only consume a slice or two of it.

So now you think, I have to make me one of those pies. But you can never make a pie that big, you can only add a few ingredients of your own, and, of course, that changes the pie, creating a new one for everyone else to try to swallow.

Yep. It starts with a taste and then you want more. And then you are one of the chefs. And watching people eat your pie is soooo satisfying you start thinking of ways to make it better and better. And it never ends cuz there is always a new pie to taste. But you can only taste so much at a time.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Edana

Postby Edana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 pm

We'd been planning to go for about the last 10 yrs, and finally got out there this year. We had talked about how we'd go this year, and then again in a few years when the kids were old enough to go to Grandma (they came with us this time), and then maybe again a few years after that.

Last night we reworked our vacation savings budget so we can go next year.

Return to “Philosophical Center”