Darkwads

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
User avatar
Da Mule
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 am
Location: you're sitting on it

Darkwads

Postby Da Mule » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm

My second year I was walking down the street minding my own business, doing perfectly fine, and people kept riding by on artcars and bikes yelling 'darkwad'. It pissed me off. Why should I have to be all sparkle pony with glow-shits like them. It's like Bunring Man is this place where we can like be ourselves and instead ppl just adopt a uniform attitude and dress.

any leftover pearl necklaces?

User avatar
Tin Halo
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: Twixt Denver and Boulder

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Man this is getting old.

No one says you have to go all sparkly'n'shit. Just wear some kind of goddamned easily visible light so you don't get hit, get hurt, and maybe get someone else hurt.

Why is this so hard to understand? It's not rocket fucking surgery.

User avatar
oneeyeddick
Posts: 5591
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Location: Probably in your pants

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 pm

The speed limit is 5 MPH for EVERYONE, the only reason darkwads get hurt by bikes is because bike riders don't have appropriate headlights or enough lighting to see where in the fuck they are going in the dark.

Poles aren't lit up either, if you manage to hit one while riding your bike it is no one's fault but your own for not having enough headlight for the speed you are riding, either that or you are too drunk or fucked up to ride one in the first place, either way it is the rider's fault, not the pedestrian walking on her hooves.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Sounds like a lot of near accidents.

Eventually someone will be calling you that in an accident report.


Anyone that doesn't want to be safe should go down on santa monica boulevard and test out that whole "pedestrian right of way" theory.
That way the llc insurance rates won't be affected.

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9689
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I wear a blindfold when I ride!

Its my art damnit!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:02 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:The speed limit is 5 MPH for EVERYONE, the only reason darkwads get hurt by bikes is because bike riders don't have appropriate headlights or enough lighting to see where in the fuck they are going in the dark.

Poles aren't lit up either, if you manage to hit one while riding your bike it is no one's fault but your own for not having enough headlight for the speed you are riding, either that or you are too drunk or fucked up to ride one in the first place, either way it is the rider's fault, not the pedestrian walking on her hooves.

Actually people complain bitterly if you use a bright headlamp in the city.
And poles never walk in front of me.
And it's 5 mph or less, as you know.

And it doesn't solve the light masking issue.
It isn't even a matter of night vision either.

If you are camouflaged in the common brown outfit, and everyone else is lit up, you can disappear against the background.
This effect is so dramatic that it has been used to hide planes in daylight.
I've seen this in effect.

This can happen easily out there, headlights or not.

Read up on active camouflage.
It's bad enough without bright contrast.
With it, Presto!
Gone,

What was that bump?

I see this happen routinely at a nightclub near me.
Morons that say "I can see.", so think cars can see them against a hundred bright lights in their black dress.
With a body stretched out on the street, I've had people walk right in front of my car.

Second stupidest last words here - "I have the right of way."

jerroc
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Oregon

Postby jerroc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 pm

when a bike gets stolen and ditched they take the head light for personal use. The next jack ass comes along steals the bike again, this time no head light and runs darwads over. The only way to avoid this is to be visable. People can be dumb high and drunk you really want to take a chance? Blinkey lights are the easy solution. Plus you don't have to hear peoples shitty remarks. If this don't explain it I'm not sure what will.

yellowpants
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Postby yellowpants » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am

How hard is this to understand? When you aren't lit, you are a danger not only to yourself but also to other people. It is your RESPONSIBILITY to be visible by others. Doesn't mean you have to look like a sparkle pony. Just wear some blinkies FFS.

User avatar
Fire_Moose
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 am

You don't even really have to wear blinkies. Hold a flashlight in yer hand and click it on for a sec or 2 when you notice someone in front of you that may not see you.

Although you still need to cover yer ass.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Darkwads

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 am

Da Mule wrote:My second year I was walking down the street minding my own business, doing perfectly fine, and people kept riding by on artcars and bikes yelling 'darkwad'. It pissed me off. Why should I have to be all sparkle pony with glow-shits like them. It's like Bunring Man is this place where we can like be ourselves and instead ppl just adopt a uniform attitude and dress.

any leftover pearl necklaces?


Dat silly Mule.......

searching pockets (?) for another necklace
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Colonel Monk
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Postby Colonel Monk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 am

Yeah I was one of the people yelling "Dark Wad" or "Dark Matter!" in your direction.

Just get a few glowsticks or something. Like everyone else said you may think it's not necessary but everyone on a bike is sightseeing, scanning the horizon for the best show on earth. They are NOT looking where they are going unless it's obvious there's something there.

I myself have had people nearly run me over because I was only lit from the front, and I didn't see them coming and they didn't see me.

Ya don't have to get all sparkle pony but walking on a dark street without light markers you're gonna get labled a darkwad, simple as that.
dust.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 18881
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am

There are days I really hate online performance art.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40296
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:00 pm

(((((AntiM)))))

(((((daMule)))))
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

buckycat
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Postby buckycat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:07 pm

If it talks like a darkwad, looks non-visible like a darkwad, and feels like a speedbump, it's prolly a darkwad.

bluesbob
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV
Location: Fullerton, CA.

Postby bluesbob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Like $1.00 per day in cheap glow sticks is going to kill your experience.


And although I've only been on this board a few months, I believe you have the wrong idea of what a sparkle pony is. It's someone unable to care for themselves. Much like a darkwad.

User avatar
peachandpapa
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis
Location: Malibu

Postby peachandpapa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Our art car is electric and cannot be heard until it is right on top of you. How tough is it to put on a blinky ring on each hand? We handed out over 100 of them to darkwads and about 30% were upset with us. I think darkwads formed a union this burn...
Go Forth and Tell the Story...

buckycat
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: Darkwads

Postby buckycat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Da Mule wrote:Why should I have to be all sparkle donkey


Fixed it for you
Image

Nitevenus
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 pm

With those lights 'mule, even I would have recognized your sparkle donkey ass on the webcam.....

User avatar
Da Mule
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 am
Location: you're sitting on it

Postby Da Mule » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:48 pm

ooh, ooh, thanks BuckyCat!

Now I can be cool! 8)

Sorry if I irritated AntiM. BUT I got a hug from Fishy!! YAY!!! :P

I believe you have the wrong idea of what a sparkle pony is. It's someone unable to care for themselves. Much like a darkwad.


I may have gotten that sparkle-pony thing wrong (but then again I interchangeably refer to myself as an ass, donkey and mule). I can take care of myself just fine, as long as someone puts out a bowl of oats for me, and cheez doodles and some water. and, oh, scratches behind my ears for me too. ooh, ooh, yeah, right there.

We handed out over 100 of them to darkwads and about 30% were upset with us. I think darkwads formed a union this burn...


I had a light around my neck, as others have suggested, pointing to the ground in front (but not rear). But people coming from behind me would yell "DARKWAD" or "FUCKING DARKWAD" at me. And you know what, I felt an immediate visceral reaction rise up in my throat. Although I understand their point (hey it can be dangerous when someone can't see you), I couldn't help but get defensive when called a name.

I dunno...maybe I'm too sensitive. But presentation can make a difference. Instead of labeling someone (as we've learned to do in the default world), how about presenting it simply as a gift?

User avatar
Da Mule
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 am
Location: you're sitting on it

Postby Da Mule » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Nitevenus wrote:With those lights 'mule, even I would have recognized your sparkle donkey ass on the webcam.....


You mean you didn't see me shaking my dusty booty *right* in front of the cam? Or did you think that was a white-out?

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40296
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Da Mule wrote:I had a light around my neck, as others have suggested, pointing to the ground in front (but not rear). But people coming from behind me would yell "DARKWAD" or "FUCKING DARKWAD" at me. And you know what, I felt an immediate visceral reaction rise up in my throat. Although I understand their point (hey it can be dangerous when someone can't see you), I couldn't help but get defensive when called a name.

I don't know about equines, but that's very human.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Fire_Moose
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa
















Who moved my batman glass?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

User avatar
Tin Halo
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: Twixt Denver and Boulder

Postby Tin Halo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:21 pm

WAKWAKWAKWAKWAAAAAAK!

I did, Batman!

Image

User avatar
teardropper
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.
Location: Oregon

Postby teardropper » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Till this topic I hadn't realized some darkwads actually have a philosophy. It's an infringement on their artistic and personal freedom to put a blinky on the front and a blinky on the back when they walk in the fucking desert at night. You're right, it's a union. A philosophy. An argument, if you will. There's a reason. Some intellectual discourse. It's not like they they are just darkwads, walking around in the fucking desert at night without a light.

And when I hit you because you are unlit, it's not your ass I worry about. It's mine. If you hurt me because of your stupidity, if I can, when I get up, I shall do my best to hurt you.

Fucking darktards...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 16605
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:21 pm

bluesbob wrote:Like $1.00 per day in cheap glow sticks is going to kill your experience.


And although I've only been on this board a few months, I believe you have the wrong idea of what a sparkle pony is. It's someone unable to care for themselves. Much like a darkwad.


Heh-heh... you don't know Da Mule.... :roll:

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 pm

It's a bravado thing, like hardcore bikers refusing to wear leather because it's protective.


Don't need a harley any longer.
Just get a toyota with drive by wire.
Ready to ride!!!

Image

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Postby Miles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am

ok but get some lights pls

Parasitoid
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am

Postby Parasitoid » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:38 am

teardropper wrote:Till this topic I hadn't realized some darkwads actually have a philosophy. It's an infringement on their artistic and personal freedom to put a blinky on the front and a blinky on the back when they walk in the fucking desert at night. You're right, it's a union. A philosophy. An argument, if you will. There's a reason. Some intellectual discourse. It's not like they they are just darkwads, walking around in the fucking desert at night without a light.

And when I hit you because you are unlit, it's not your ass I worry about. It's mine. If you hurt me because of your stupidity, if I can, when I get up, I shall do my best to hurt you.

Fucking darktards...


you are going to blindly run into someone in the middle of the night and then get pissed at them about it? How about you just look where the fuck you are going. If you really have that much trouble seeing you shouldn't be riding a bike at night.

I mean, even if you thought that %100 of the participants were lit up you should still be watching for things that aren't bright. And you can't blame anyone but yourself for running into shit.

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Lightbaggers Unite!


Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

User avatar
teardropper
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.
Location: Oregon

Postby teardropper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Parasitoid wrote:
teardropper wrote:Till this topic I hadn't realized some darkwads actually have a philosophy. It's an infringement on their artistic and personal freedom to put a blinky on the front and a blinky on the back when they walk in the fucking desert at night. You're right, it's a union. A philosophy. An argument, if you will. There's a reason. Some intellectual discourse. It's not like they they are just darkwads, walking around in the fucking desert at night without a light.

And when I hit you because you are unlit, it's not your ass I worry about. It's mine. If you hurt me because of your stupidity, if I can, when I get up, I shall do my best to hurt you.

Fucking darktards...


you are going to blindly run into someone in the middle of the night and then get pissed at them about it? How about you just look where the fuck you are going. If you really have that much trouble seeing you shouldn't be riding a bike at night.

I mean, even if you thought that %100 of the participants were lit up you should still be watching for things that aren't bright. And you can't blame anyone but yourself for running into shit.


Sorry, but what an ass. Of course I wear a headlamp. And it has prevented some very possible collisions with unlit walkers and bikes. Best solution, dickhead, is just to wear some lights.

Jeez...
\^/

/..\ Furthur


Return to “Philosophical Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest