BRC rangers (no balls)

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
muley

BRC rangers (no balls)

Post by muley » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:08 pm

the rangers do not seem to do anything but walk around and try and look cool why do they have them ?

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Interested in seeing where this thread ends up but my camp mate is a Ranger and whatever he does during the day usually leaves him too tired to party properly at night.Never crossed my mind that acting cool may be more wearisome than it looks.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:29 pm

I was also disappointed at the (apparent) lack of observable Ranger activity my first year. I had an EXPECTATION based on reading the survival guide that every block had a Ranger or twoi asigned to it, and that they would be contacting everyone on their block (sort of like a block "Mom").

Now I'm glad I don't see more of the Rangers, seeing as they are really a buffer between the citizens of BRC and the Law (or other more official types). I guess I am doing something right!

regards, Jafe

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Invisible to the naked eye

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:11 pm

I can't WAIT for Badger or any other Ranger to jump on this thread.

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:34 pm

the rangers do not seem to do anything but walk around and try and look cool why do they have them ?
They are not supposed to do anything unless they have to. Looking cool is optional.

I have never been a Ranger at BRC but have at PDF and simi-offical at NYC Decom. It can be fun and it can be stressful. The fun part is walking around and helping people out, telling them where to go (in a good way) and sometimes getting dinner at camps you know. Then there is the other part, stay sober while your friends are drinking, standing in the shadows watching a domestic dispute play out, dealing with the guy who cannot take no for an answer, holding the kid that has been up for two days straight and who has just crashed and burned. Hell just telling people not to smoke in the building at Decom was a real joy (Cory told me to make sure that no one smoked inside and I did, she scares me). And you do this all while trying to make sure that you are not perceived as an authority figure and while trying to attract as little attention as possible while at the same time making sure that people know you are there if they need you.
I like playing with fire.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:48 pm

I can't WAIT for Badger or any other Ranger to jump on this thread.
Tell you what Muley (or is it Mewler), when you show myself and others here that your concerns are based more in experience and actual observation rather than some lame, tossed off, asstard little platitude we'll talk about Rangering.

And balls.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:54 pm

<pulling up a chair, popping a beer, maybe start taking a few side bets>

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:04 pm

do we have a new troll?

muley

Post by muley » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:05 pm

Its just that last year a so called art car came around a corner and all most hit two rangers (a guy and a gal) going 10 or 12 mph , the speed limit in brc is 5 mph, the two rangers did or said nothing......btw the look cool thing came from a ranger(the guy trying to get all the b-day kisses for the record book)

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Khaki invisibility

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:00 pm

muley wrote:Its just that last year a so called art car came around a corner and all most hit two rangers (a guy and a gal) going 10 or 12 mph , the speed limit in brc is 5 mph, the two rangers did or said nothing......btw the look cool thing came from a ranger(the guy trying to get all the b-day kisses for the record book)
I just love stereotyping based on anecdotal evidence.
Two points were made:
1) are you sure they did nothing, or did they calmly key their radio and report it for later tire pressure extraction? Or would you rather they chased a vehicle going 10 mph?
2) one Ranger? And what about the 250+ other Rangers that remain sober, alert, and conscientious around the clock, while you're frying balls?

Here's a nice, warm cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP

muley

Post by muley » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:09 pm

yes Im sure they did nothing just like every other ranger , none of them do anything to help slow down the god almighty art cars. (its no fucking wonder someone started an "art cars are stupid" thread

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 pm

muley wrote:yes Im sure they did nothing just like every other ranger , none of them do anything to help slow down the god almighty art cars. (its no fucking wonder someone started an "art cars are stupid" thread
Not true, I think they served as the speed bumps.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:27 pm

The main job of the rangers is to stop the citizens of BRC from rioting and mauling the BLM and other outside law enforcement agents!

and their highly overpaid!

A II Z

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:42 am

What are you wearing, muley?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

muley

Post by muley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:42 am

A young lady was killed on art car last year ,I just hope and pray it never happens again. It made a very sad time for a lot of people. I cant help but think if the rangers would spend a little more time reminding all art car drivers about the few rules they have ...5 mph and NObody gets on or off a moving car. maybe the sweet young kid would be there again this year.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:56 am

It was an accident, and the artcar in question, to the best of my knowledge, was behaving properly at the time, blaming the Rangers for it is kinda' nuts.
The Rangers are burners who aren't getting paid and don't owe you anything anyway, but still they work long shifts to be the go-to guys for whatever issues come up. They aren't policemen and have no authority to do anything to anyone, they can't arrest someone or fine them, any more than you can. You saw the artcar speeding, what the fuck did YOU do about it?
The rangers are the buffer between us and the real cops, and they greatly reduce the need for real cops on the playa. That's the biggest thing you should be thanking them for volunteering to do for your worthless ass.

(and no, I'm not a ranger.)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:09 am

What's the speed of an art car when no Rangers w/ balls are present?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

muley

Post by muley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:14 am

I know the rangers cant arrest anybody , all I suggested was they talk to them a little more, one thing they can do is show them where the exit is.
I dont want to see art cars banned from brc and I dont want any more people to get hurt or killed, I dont think this makes me a bad person.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:47 am

muley wrote:I know the rangers cant arrest anybody , all I suggested was they talk to them a little more, one thing they can do is show them where the exit is.
I dont want to see art cars banned from brc and I dont want any more people to get hurt or killed, I dont think this makes me a bad person.
No, but whining about someone else's volunteer 'duties' without taking personal responsibility makes you a useless whiner. The way I see it, if the people working aren't getting paid to do it- you have absolutely no leeway to bitch about their work. You get the service you paid for- anything above and beyond that is them just being nice about things. Either hire your own personal security guards for the event out of your own pocket, volunteer yourself and change the system from the inside, or shut the hell up about the level of service you get.

I'll make sure to inform the world on how to properly serve you life on a silver platter. You want fries with that?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

XS

Support your local Ranger!

Post by XS » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:58 am

Dude Please. Last year a friend of mine took a nasty spill on his bike, nearly severing his upper lip. Within minutes, the Rangers were on the scene assisting my badly injured friend with first aid and comforting words as they packed him up for a helicopter ride to Reno for emergency surgery to reattach his lip! Thanks to the Rangers my buddy made it through this unanticipated ordeal alright. I hope you never have to go anything like that (or worse.) Rest assured if you do, it'll probably be the Rangers who drag your pathetic, lifeless carc-ass from the playa. Dust to Dust, punkin'.
Too much is never enough.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:37 pm

muley wrote:A young lady was killed on art car last year ,I just hope and pray it never happens again. It made a very sad time for a lot of people. I cant help but think if the rangers would spend a little more time reminding all art car drivers about the few rules they have ...5 mph and NObody gets on or off a moving car. maybe the sweet young kid would be there again this year.
Again, Kathy Lampman's death was a horrible, horrible accident and the car involved wasn't doing anything untoward. Her loss was a real blow to the Emergency Services Department personel who worked on her (not to mention her family, friends and campmates) and I hate to see anyone using it to flog the Rangers or for any other personel agenda. The Rangers have a tough job--what was it Badger said, maybe 25-30 on duty in a city of 30,000? Having to enforce rules in an event with a partial anarchist heritage? Some of them are good, others less so, and even the best have off moments. All I can say is that without some sort of on-ground personell to deal with stuff as it arises, the event would be worse off. And probably cancelled by now.

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:47 pm

Muley: When you buy something do you take the time, every time to adequately read the operations manual? When you purchase a vehicle did you spend hours studying its operations manual?

People, unfortunately as it were, tend to think rules do not apply to them. That its not a big deal, yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and its just the man keeping them down.

If you think it'd be so great to have rangers enforce things, why don't you get off your ass and volunteer for it yourself?

I notice you bring up the Art-car death. That really hurt a lot of people when it happened. If you had taken the time to read the accounts and postings of the event rather than rely on your keen intellect to judge what really happened. Obviously it was a big cover-up by the Rangers to hide their own culpability in the Tapioca blast of 1967.

Get a clue. You're just as responsible for promoting safe art-car operation as a ranger is. You have a voice, and hopefully are grown up enough to handle your own problems. Tell them they're going too fast, talk to a BLM member about it. Throw patchoulli at them. (Just don't get any on the playa.)

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:41 pm

muley wrote: I cant help but think if the rangers would spend a little more time reminding all art car drivers about the few rules they have ...5 mph and NObody gets on or off a moving car. maybe the sweet young kid would be there again this year.
I can't help but think that if muley spent a little more time ....

oh never mind!
Fight for the fifth freedom!

KellY

Post by KellY » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:00 pm

muley wrote:A young lady was killed on art car last year ,I just hope and pray it never happens again. It made a very sad time for a lot of people. I cant help but think if the rangers would spend a little more time reminding all art car drivers about the few rules they have ...5 mph and NObody gets on or off a moving car. maybe the sweet young kid would be there again this year.
Hi. Why don't you shut the fuck up about things that you have no idea about? As somebody else pointed out, this horrible incident was explained in full elsewhere and there is no way any Ranger could have prevented it- except in the way any other Burner who happened to be there could have, by seeing someone was about to do something stupid and saying, "Hey, watch out!"

Afterwards, however, my wife the Ranger Blackswan spent many hours at her camp doing grief counseling and otherwise helping her many campmates cope with the accident. This was, I'd like to add, the day after we had our playa wedding ceremony and would have very much liked to spend time together. But, she had a very important job to do and I would never have dreamed of keeping her from it.

Rangers are not traffic cops. And if you can't see what they're actually doing, it means they're doing their job well.

Oh, and by the way, I don't believe you actually give a fuck about Kathy Lampman, or you might have known the circumstances of her death, or her fucking name. You're using her death as a way to attack the Rangers, just like WSPR did a few months ago to attack the event itself. Maybe that doesn't make you a "bad person", but it certainly makes you a jerk.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:31 pm

I hope this thread dies the natural death it deserves.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:55 pm

No, but it does make you come across as a clueless, snivelling idiot who seems more comfortable talking out of their ass than making an attempt to understanding what the Rangers are and are not.

With every post you've blathered to date a pattern repeats:

I know the rangers cant arrest anybody , all I suggested was they talk to them a little more, one thing they can do is show them where the exit is.
It made a very sad time for a lot of people. I cant help but think if the rangers would spend a little more time reminding all art car drivers about the few rules they have ...5 mph and NObody gets on or off a moving car. maybe the sweet young kid would be there again this year.
none of them do anything to help slow down the god almighty art cars. (its no fucking wonder someone started an "art cars are stupid" thread
Its just that last year a so called art car came around a corner and all most hit two rangers (a guy and a gal) going 10 or 12 mph , the speed limit in brc is 5 mph, the two rangers did or said nothing......
Your multiple shit-for-brains observations suggests that your perception of what role(s) Rangers should/do/don’t perform lies somewhere between zero and none. All of your 'if only', 'they've not/don’t/wont’s, all your should haves, did not’s, etc don’t mean shit to me or any other volunteer I know in Black Rock City so long as you keep on the sidelines winging like some clue-challenged asshat. Further, I see no indication of your willingness to contribute to what you see as a functional deficit on the part of Rangers seeing as any indication to jump in and improve by volunteering yourself seems conspicuously absent in your posts..

Hell dude, you seem to be pretty fucking good at defining what, when and how Rangers should deal with a whole spectrum of situations. I’d suggest that if you’re so honed in on what Rangers (or any other volunteer group) need as far as improvement I’d invite – hell, dare you - to sign up for a few shifts. You might end up finding that you have your own set of cajones while on the playa. You certainly haven’t shown that you have them here.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:10 pm

Bravo badger

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:06 pm

whew!

with the absence of BRR my memories of a good ole badger flamathon have dimmed.
winging like a clue-challenged asshat

i must add that to my reportior

technopatra

Post by technopatra » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:15 pm

Muley, you have chosen to incorporate a rumor into your belief system instead of learning a single word of the truth of what happened to the woman who died, and you should be ashamed of yourself for using her tragic death to rationalize your attitude about the Rangers.

It was an accident - she tried to disembark from a mutant vehicle that was moving at the correct speed (5 mi an hour), and fell between the vehicle and the open-air moving lounge is was towing. It was not the fault of the driver or creators of the vehicle, it was just a stupid tragic accident.

There are numerous threads about her as well as a memorial site her family created.

http://www.rememberingkathy.com/

I suggest you go there and spend a moment of silence apologizing to her spirit.

If you have a beef with the Rangers, go to a Ranger meeting and find out what they are about. Got to rangers.org and read about them. Don't make a snap judgement about a couple of hundred people because of one idiot. That would be like me discounting an entire human being for one thoughtless, irresponsible, comment.

No one here is saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. But no one here will respect it unless it is an informed one.

G.W.B.

Post by G.W.B. » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:24 pm

Boy this has been one heck of a juicy thread. :lol:
Grand Whopping Bastard.

Return to “Philosophical Center”