BRC rangers (no balls)

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:30 am

It's my guess you wouldn't be likely to abuse your authority in that way... but fuck if I know... it doesn't matter much to me if you use a little "oh hey, that's a joke" smiley. The words themselves constitue what seems to me to be a pretty unpalatable offer to negatively impact someone's experience in a serious fucking way.
It's all about the squirrels.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:53 am

Bad call Stormy.

Bad call.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:06 am

Badger wrote:Bad call Stormy.

Bad call.
What are you the Judge or something? No wait, that's my spouse. Gee, I am really confused now.

Instead of getting into the usual, "I know you are, but what am I" routine so commonly used here, I chose to diffuse the situation with some humor. I don't think it would take a statistician to figure the odds of my working the same shift and lane that RTW would happen to be in aren't so good. And of course I would have to know what he looks like and recognze him and carry a grudge over some remarks made on an electronic bulletin board. While I may post here now and then, my life really isn't that small.
Be the change you seek in the world.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:14 am

I chose to diffuse the situation with some humor.
Some content alluding to the humor factor ( which I NOW see) might go a ways towards distinguishing your post between humor and abuse of position (volunteer or otherwise).

Sorry thing is that there ARE bad news stories of folks who have alluded to this type of behavior and have been serious.

Sorry if I didn't immediately get the punch line.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:44 am

Sorry if I didn't immediately get the punch line.
Ah, the limitations of this medium. I guess I shall start using more of the tarded emoticons. :oops:

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:48 am

I guess I shall start using more of the tarded emoticons.
And then life shall not be worth living.

Don't do it.

Please, don't go to the Dark Side(TM).
Desert dogs drink deep.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:23 am

Stormy wrote:Oh, I'll make sure you read it to me word for word, when I take yours at the Gate. In fact you can show me how wonderfully self-reliant you are as I have you unpack every last inch of your vehicle for inspection. And I hope you arrive around noon when it's nice and hot. Remember no whining, even if you think you're going to pass out from the effort in the heat.
You got it. See there, I lived next to Death Valley for 12 years. What you call 'oppressive heat' at Burning Man is what I walked 5 miles in to get to the center of town in my youth. On a cool day.

If you want to lug all my shit out, have fun. I'll pull out my chair and a soft drink and I'll spend the entire time reading the back of the ticket out loud. I'll even do it in different accents. Then to music. Then with puppets.

After you are done amusing yourself and sweating you ass off pulling all the shit out of my car- I'll give you a homebrew, toss the shit back in my car, and then thank you profusely for amusing me. Hopefully the puppet show be informative and entertaining.

Big furry smootches to ya.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:05 am

If you want to lug all my shit out, have fun. I'll pull out my chair and a soft drink and I'll spend the entire time reading the back of the ticket out loud. I'll even do it in different accents. Then to music. Then with puppets.

After you are done amusing yourself and sweating you ass off pulling all the shit out of my car- I'll give you a homebrew, toss the shit back in my car, and then thank you profusely for amusing me. Hopefully the puppet show be informative and entertaining.
Different accents you say? Actually the few poor saps that were required to unload their vehicles had to do it themselves. Of course one can refuse, but then they forfeit their tickets. I've only seen it done once by the shift lead. Seems they were spotted down the road hiding a stow-a-way.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:24 am

Stormy wrote: Actually the few poor saps that were required to unload their vehicles had to do it themselves. Of course one can refuse, but then they forfeit their tickets. I've only seen it done once by the shift lead. Seems they were spotted down the road hiding a stow-a-way.
You want to search my vehicle, fine- but I ain't busting my ass for your amusement. Regardless of what God-like authority you think you possess. The resultant fuss would be unpleasant for all and for what? Trust me, this would not be anywhere as amusing as you think.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:54 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
You want to search my vehicle, fine- but I ain't busting my ass for your amusement. Regardless of what God-like authority you think you possess. The resultant fuss would be unpleasant for all and for what? Trust me, this would not be anywhere as amusing as you think.
We are clear on the fact that I don't really want to search your vehicle right? But when you go to the Gate the first thing you do is hand over your tickets. You have every right to not co-operate with the staff. They have every right to not let you in. You can try buzzing past the Gate, but what would happen next is that you would be arrested Law Enforcement. Wouldn't be unpleasant for me, that's for sure.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:27 am

Stormy wrote: You have every right to not co-operate with the staff. They have every right to not let you in.
Untrue. The ticket contract goes both ways. If you take my ticket, then ask me to dance naked with Tabasco sauce attached to my nipples- and when I don't, you take the tickets. That would then be petty theft. At which point I would welcome the law enforcement. And any and all supervisors within range. Bets on whether I get in? Regardless, I think I'll bring a copy of this conversation.

Regardless of whether you 'haha' meant your threat, you shouldn't be issuing threats. You step over the line of your authority. We may disagree online, but that type of behavior is far out of line. Since we are both anonymous names on a computer, I agree the chances of us meeting are slim. But with minor digging you can find out what I look like. Again, since I don't know you- how do I know your threat isn't serious? I'm not going to try and get you busted by your superiors, that would be utter bullshit for a minor tiff. But I sure as hell have to make sure I have hardcopy in the remote chance you actually try this type of bullshit. But I mean seriously- make me unpacked everything to its component parts in the dirt in front of you for your amusement and if I don't (trust me, I wouldn't- I have way more pride than that) you kick me out of the event? Where the fuck is the 'haha' in a threat as such? This is WAY overboard.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:43 am

In the first 60 minutes of my first burn, I asked two guys in a golf cart where the pissers were. They offered me a ride to the porta-potties. Only later did I realize they were rangers.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:43 am

Not everything has to be nice but damn, this exchange is ridiculous. I love the greeters but I'm always nice to the gate staff. They are the first burners I get to see and they usually get me in and on my way fast, and usually with a big smile to get me started. When it comes to vehicle inspections, I plan ahead. I just assume upfront that they are going to look so last year I made sure things were easy to access and had a flashlight ready to let them look in any dark storage spaces.

I wish both of you would take some time out, step away from the keyboard and cool off. Hard copies of e-playa posts? Holy mother of fuck, we're going to have an ICBM exchange here.

Does it really need to get this intense?

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:50 am

Tancorix wrote:Not everything has to be nice but damn, this exchange is ridiculous. I love the greeters but I'm always nice to the gate staff. They are the first burners I get to see and they usually get me in and on my way fast, and usually with a big smile to get me started. When it comes to vehicle inspections, I plan ahead. I just assume upfront that they are going to look so last year I made sure things were easy to access and had a flashlight ready to let them look in any dark storage spaces.

I wish both of you would take some time out, step away from the keyboard and cool off. Hard copies of e-playa posts? Holy mother of fuck, we're going to have an ICBM exchange here.

Does it really need to get this intense?
actually, the exchange is a small micro-cosm of what really happens in this big old mean world.... authority is given, then expanded without review.... on and on and on....
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:55 am

Tancorix wrote: Does it really need to get this intense?
Its a question of authority.

I have none. I made no threats. Imagine what my surprise would be if I showed up and was kicked out. The hardcopy is just in case this ISN'T just a tiff. On my side, I have too much riding on this- vacation time, gas, supplies, ticket, etc.

I agree its a slim chance, but what's carrying a piece of paper in my glovebox vs. not and finding out she was serious.

My grandpa was chief of police in Conneticut for 35 years. What if you had a minor arguement with him in a grocery store and he said he was going to lock you up next time he seen you driving. Ha ha, just kidding. Would you ignore it?

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:59 am

Point made, you're simply practicing the art of CYA.

But Rob, it was unusual to see you in the midst of a mess like this.
Anyway I'll shut up and get back to packing things again.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:10 am

Tancorix wrote:Point made, you're simply practicing the art of CYA.

But Rob, it was unusual to see you in the midst of a mess like this.
Anyway I'll shut up and get back to packing things again.
Actually, I keep finding myself in more and more messes like this lately. I think I've lost some of my objectivity in the last 4 months or so. Last night I was thinking of taking a break from the Eplaya, go back towards personal developement at work or some such. Might still do that. I'm sure I wouldn't be breaking at least a handful of folk's hearts.

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:00 pm

I wonder if a sense of humor is ever found during those gate searches?

oh,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drowned_saved

Post by drowned_saved » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:03 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:What you call 'oppressive heat' at Burning Man is what I walked 5 miles in to get to the center of town in my youth. On a cool day.
considering what you've told us about your back hair, that's impressive.

am i right to assume you were a furry kid before maturing into a furry man?

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:08 pm

drowned_saved wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:What you call 'oppressive heat' at Burning Man is what I walked 5 miles in to get to the center of town in my youth. On a cool day.
considering what you've told us about your back hair, that's impressive.

am i right to assume you were a furry kid before maturing into a furry man?
Tis true. I did forget that I brought my own shade structure. Just had to comb it right.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:....I did forget that I brought my own shade structure. Just had to comb it right.
ITYM "fluff".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:07 pm

Stormy wrote:Oh, I'll make sure you read it to me word for word, when I take yours at the Gate. In fact you can show me how wonderfully self-reliant you are as I have you unpack every last inch of your vehicle for inspection. And I hope you arrive around noon when it's nice and hot. Remember no whining, even if you think you're going to pass out from the effort in the heat.

Not to continue the debate, but I cant forget the misplacement of *humor* about this. Police get reported over jokes like this and with enough complaints, get sent to special counseling sessions.

Bumpeth my dears...

SED

Post by SED » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:36 pm

Hey Stormy, are you gonna search under Rob's big sweaty hairy man boobs?

And Rob, I've got a small items few items that need secure transport into BRC. Can we talk?
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:52 pm

Oh gawd, please make this just go away...

This is way over and far done as far as I'm concerned.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:54 pm

SED wrote:Hey Stormy, are you gonna search under Rob's big sweaty hairy man boobs?

And Rob, I've got a small items few items that need secure transport into BRC. Can we talk?
Are you positive you want anything back that's been hanging under my sweaty man boobies for hours?

BurnScar

Post by BurnScar » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:59 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Not to continue the debate, but I cant forget the misplacement of *humor* about this. Police get reported over jokes like this and with enough complaints, get sent to special counseling sessions.

Bumpeth my dears...
Looks like you are trying to create a debate on a dead thread.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:33 am

BurnScar wrote:
spectabillis wrote:

Bumpeth my dears...
Looks like you are trying to create a debate on a dead thread.
Nope. Just throwing my feelings on this out there, and my opinion really does not matter all that much. Besides, its just before the event so it really does not matter.

*goes back to packing*

jlpc4004

Post by jlpc4004 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:40 am

LAST YEAR, peeps complained that the Rangers were too aggresive, now you say they werent aggresive enuf???? Make up your mind, what do you want?? BRC is like real life, stay alert and dont go around assuming everyone's your buddy. The world's an ugly place and sometimes BRC can be too. Utopia's a fantasy....

freddybaby

You think Rangers look cool ?

Post by freddybaby » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:40 am

Well they could use a wardrobe upgrade (sick of the kilts people)

Anyway, Rangers are pretty cool. And they are there to keep idiots like you from getting arrested, breaking the BM principals, and keeping everything ship shape and under semi control. If you havent seen a ranger do anything than thats a good sign that people are being decent to the playa, the crowd and themselfs...

They don't snitch your shit to the fuzz either. Give em a break, it's probably not a very fun job to watch other people get wild but I know they get thier groove on too... Go rangers...

Oh, I have some clothes you can borrow too ;)

MoisturePup

Re: BRC rangers (no balls)

Post by MoisturePup » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:27 pm

muley wrote:the rangers do not seem to do anything but walk around and try and look cool why do they have them ?
I have actually slept with a ranger, and I can tell you that he does in fact have balls. I probably could've confirmed this other ways though, but that seemed like the most fun.

Return to “Philosophical Center”