Stop Burning Man's Culture of Bicycle Thievery!!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Avacadi
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Stop Burning Man's Culture of Bicycle Thievery!!!

Postby Avacadi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Mr Perpetual Burn,

You have gotten off track from BM principles and are going down a Robin Hood sinkhole.

BM does not need snowflake Robin Hoods.

Volunteer with a bike camp or the BORG itself to get a different perspective and really contribute. Why? Because what happens with bikes is much more complex than you read.

Loss of bikes at the event really crushes the experience of many who are poor.

If what happens with bikes is much more complex than what we can fathom, would you care to explain? I can say for certain, that from my perspective, simply stating that we should volunteer without a storyline doesn't exactly compel one to convert its mindset on what he/she is already believing. Also, by burning man standards what exactly is "poor"? I didnt seem to notice much homelessness out there my first burn. But hey, who knows.

It's easy for people to disagree with someone who is blantantly outnumbered and whose opinion is just that- and opinion, but in order to fix a problem, we must first come up with solutions. Instead of arguing about it why don't we refer to what Vargaso mentioned and just lock your bike up? That's a simple, easy and, if you will, cost effective solution to the "poor".
I'm sure I'll get hell for this but I'll willingly admit I have been one of those knuckle heads that has accidentally borrowed a bicycle. I felt guilty about it when I came-to and returned it to center camp- using my "chevrolegs" to get back to wherever it was I was going. Referencing back to vargaso again, if the bike had any kind of tie or knot that had hindered my ability to take it- I probably wouldn't have dealt with the thing any way. I'm not saying it's right. Like I mentioned, I felt like an asshole because I was. I do see where Perpetual Burn is coming from though, regardless of financial stability or not. I do agree that perhaps a good way to clear up the moop issue that org has to deal with anyway IS to pimp them out and bring them back. If you aren't taking a bicycle that has clearly already been worked on and effort has been put into it- IF you're assuming that these janky bikes are from europeanors that can't take them back any way... then ultimately you are not only reducing, reusing but you're recycling as well. And that, to me, is a much better solution than leaving them behind for someone else to deal with.
MAYOR of ants

Cellar Door

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Welcome Avacadi. And to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking? That was quite an unusual first post. From where do you hail? You've been to one burn, how did you fair? Any interesting volunteer experiences to entertain us? Did you camp alone or with a group? Did you get tickets to come again this year? Let's get to know each other. We'll hug you at the Meet & Greet.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Settling in for the show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Avacadi

Postby Avacadi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:16 pm

I have been around, observing and debating whether or not to post my first topic of discussion which will probably cause more of a riot than bicycle thievery.
This has been an interesting thread, to say the least. And to be quite honest, I'd been waiting for some life on here for some time.
So hello, here I am :mrgreen:
MAYOR of ants

Cellar Door

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:44 pm

I do enjoy spirited discussion :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Perpetual Burn

Postby Perpetual Burn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:You're so full of shit.
No one who really does have that kind of money says things like that.
And no one who is that much of a god freak is financially stable either.
You god freaks talk about yourselves having plenty of everything because you believe that your faith IS wealth.
You're not fooling anyone.

Stealing is stealing. Do you know when the owner of a bike you "found" is leaving the playa? NO! People stay over a month later doing after-work. I'm often still on the playa on Wednesday. God help you if I catch you stealing one of my bikes, amigo. You don't know that the owner of that bike has left yet. You're a thief, plain and simple.
If you're so rich you burn money for fun, stop being a thief and buy a hundred new bikes and hand them out.
You're just SO full of shit.

Full of shit? Thanks for your kind Radically Inclusive words... sike.

What kind of money do I got? I'm guessing you have no fucking clue... I'm turning MOOP into something people will appreciate next Burn... you're just relentlessly bitching about something that happens every day. Theft. But I'm Robin Hood not a bike dealer.

God "freaks" can be as financially stable as we want... or not give a fuck about money all together... God's got all our backs, even the Faithless, God holds all 37 trillion of your cells together all day... and you've got the free will to appreciate that... or whine on a forum about some cheap ass bikes getting stolen... your call.

Contentment is the only wealth... Knowing God Loves you in the most valuable thing you can ever comprehend. The only way to overcome all suffering.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I'm speaking the Truth.

Is that a threat of violence if you see me on the Playa? How about instead of you going violently psychotic, you come by my camp and I give you a decked out bike to prove that I ain't full of shit.

---

Troll? That's cute.... I'd go with Sorcerer. :wink:
Love calls us Home
Hope restores our Soul
We Burn on the Playa
Black Rock Desert
We fear no evil
The Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love Will follow
All our Lives
& We will Burn in the House of Love
Forever

Perpetual Burn

Postby Perpetual Burn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Avacadi wrote:

You have gotten off track from BM principles and are going down a Robin Hood sinkhole.

Volunteer with a bike camp or the BORG itself to get a different perspective and really contribute. Why? Because what happens with bikes is much more complex than you read.

If what happens with bikes is much more complex than what we can fathom, would you care to explain? I can say for certain, that from my perspective, simply stating that we should volunteer without a storyline doesn't exactly compel one to convert its mindset on what he/she is already believing. Also, by burning man standards what exactly is "poor"? I didnt seem to notice much homelessness out there my first burn. But hey, who knows.

It's easy for people to disagree with someone who is blantantly outnumbered and whose opinion is just that- and opinion, but in order to fix a problem, we must first come up with solutions. Instead of arguing about it why don't we refer to what Vargaso mentioned and just lock your bike up? That's a simple, easy and, if you will, cost effective solution to the "poor".
I'm sure I'll get hell for this but I'll willingly admit I have been one of those knuckle heads that has accidentally borrowed a bicycle. I felt guilty about it when I came-to and returned it to center camp- using my "chevrolegs" to get back to wherever it was I was going. Referencing back to vargaso again, if the bike had any kind of tie or knot that had hindered my ability to take it- I probably wouldn't have dealt with the thing any way. I'm not saying it's right. Like I mentioned, I felt like an asshole because I was. I do see where Perpetual Burn is coming from though, regardless of financial stability or not. I do agree that perhaps a good way to clear up the moop issue that org has to deal with anyway IS to pimp them out and bring them back. If you aren't taking a bicycle that has clearly already been worked on and effort has been put into it- IF you're assuming that these janky bikes are from europeanors that can't take them back any way... then ultimately you are not only reducing, reusing but you're recycling as well. And that, to me, is a much better solution than leaving them behind for someone else to deal with.

Namaste.
Love calls us Home
Hope restores our Soul
We Burn on the Playa
Black Rock Desert
We fear no evil
The Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love Will follow
All our Lives
& We will Burn in the House of Love
Forever

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby misfit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 am

black rock is a city. do you walk / ride around your city picking up bikes that are left unattended.?. bikes left on playa will be delt with by DPW and locals with permission to gather all bikes left after a certain date. not your issue. some bikes get left because the owner is off playa under medical care and they fully expect to take their bikes home, others have had minor run ins with LE and would love to have their bikes back. if it doesn't belong to you, leave it.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 am

Avacadi wrote:

First off, welcome to Eplaya.

Second off, you stole a bike during your first burn. You, sir, are a fucking asshole and we need less of you at Burning Man.

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Postby Kelsier » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 pm

vargaso wrote:

Second off, you stole a bike during your first burn. You, sir, are a fucking asshole and we need less of you at Burning Man.

Just so I'm clear, what number year can we steal bikes without being an asshole? :twisted:
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Kelsier wrote:
vargaso wrote:

Just so I'm clear, what number year can we steal bikes without being an asshole? :twisted:

Ha. Well, none. If Larry Harvey stole a bike at this year's burn, he'd be an asshole. But stealing a bike your first time out there? That, to me, is a special kind of asshole.

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Postby Kelsier » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:06 pm

No Arguments.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Perpetual Bum wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:You're so full of shit. (etc...)

Is that a threat of violence if you see me on the Playa? How about instead of you going violently psychotic, you come by my camp and I give you a decked out bike to prove that I ain't full of shit.

What I said was "God help you if I catch you stealing one of my bikes". And that is a statement I'll stand by.

I build custom bikes. I mean really cool ones, stretched, lowered, with custom metal work. Not Chinese shit wrapped in fur with blinky lights. I doubt I'd want one of your "decked out" and probably stolen pieces of shit.

Nothing else you said was worth addressing... you're a troll and a thief, you make Burning Man and Eplaya a worse place than it was before you showed up. Sleep with that, god boy.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 pm

We're going to take a little breather here. Locking this topic for now.

Do NOT take this into other forums. Thank you.

Return to “Philosophical Center”