Suggestions for BMORG for 2005

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Otisserie

Suggestions for BMORG for 2005

Post by Otisserie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:41 am

Here's a couple ideas I came up with for the Org to consider for next year:

1. Increase the number of low-income/artist tickets - I heard a lot of people complaining about the ticket prices, but any event that can attract 35,000 people isn't exactly pricing itself out of the market. The trick is making sure the yahoos are paying for the people who can contribute but need help getting there. This year they had 2000 low-income tickets. I would double that, and maybe add another 1000 low-cost "artist" tickets for people who have contributed art in the past and intend to do so again.

2. Run the Greeters station until the Gate closes - the Greeter station closes at noon Saturday, but the Gate doesn't close until 5 or 6 pm. I happened to be up at Greeters on Saturday afternoon setting out cones for Exodus and a good 40-50 cars came through. I became the default greeter. Many of the people were virgins and completely lost. One woman was here for her 40th birthday. It's easy to say "oh, they're just tourists, fuck 'em"; but these people paid $250 for a ticket and they deserve a greeting, and we deserve someone who knows what's expected of them.

3. See if there's some way to stress participation - we all complain about the tourists, but are we making the participation part clear? Sure, it's on the website but plenty of people don't read it. Maybe we could add something to the greeter's speil asking each arrival how they plan to contribute. Even if the person doesn't have an answer, it'll put the idea into their head. Maybe there's some other way, but let's come up with a way stress to each person that they are not here as a tourist.

4. Better communication about early arrivals - the early arrival list caused a lot of problems this year, partly due to the fact that people on the early arrival list never got any email confirmation of that fact. So all kinds of people assumed they were on the list when they weren't. Set up a system so that anyone approved for early arrival would get an email saying so, that way they can make the drive knowing they have a confirmation in hand. And the people who don't get an email have an inkling that something's wrong and can sort it out before they arrive on the playa.

markslut

Carefully consider the impact of children

Post by markslut » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:18 pm

It seems that many of the restrictions on activities and displays (mostly related to how sexually explicit they can be) are related to the fact that children are present at the even. From what I remember the removal of the Jiffy Lube sign (it was a cartoon) two years ago was based on the fact that it was near kids camp and kids might see it. I personally love kids and think they should be at the event unless their presence is what limits the activities of the adults.

Is the gradual tightening of what is permitted based on some standard of decency (mostly related to how sexually explicit people can be) related to the fact that children are present or is it something else?

It makes sense that it would be kids - as a society we've been telling parents what is and isn't ok for kids for years and there is a place for that.

If children are the reason then the BMORG needs to seriously consider whether or not kids should be allowed at the event. Kids don't pay (under 14s don't need a ticket) and are a relatively small percentage of the community population and could be responsible for the decency standard that is being imposed on everyone else.

Again I really like kids but making this particular event something that is safe for kids, if that is what is limiting everyone else, needs to be given some thought.

Desi Arnaz

Early arrival

Post by Desi Arnaz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:56 pm

On the early arrival subject...There was a lot of "official" talk that us plain old (non-theme camp) types would not be able to get in prior to 12:01 am on Monday. I got there around 10:00 Monday am and had to go all the way out to Neptune to find a spot. Talked to several non-theme campers around me - most had arrived on Saturday or Sunday and had no trouble getting in. So all the talk about not allowing early arrivals and land grabs appears to be fluff. Guess I'll just show up on Saturday next year...

Desi Arnaz

Post by Desi Arnaz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:01 pm

Oh, and let's ban those damn scooters! Their little 2 stroke engines are loud/annoying as hell. And they almost always go faster than 5mph - any slower and they fall over.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm

Do something about the squatters in center camp. Not people dozing a little, I mean the ones on the couch curled up in their sleeping bags for hours with their backpacks taking up floor space too.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

meee_bot

Post by meee_bot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:08 pm

1) Put the man on Hay bails again. He burned better back then

2) Next year's theme "Games". Keep it simple and something people can work with

NF

geekster

Streen Names

Post by geekster » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:33 pm

Yeah, I know that debate rages year after year but ...

This year's street names were fucking PERFECT! Keep them! Rename Orion's Belt for whatever theme the city has going forward but keep the rest of the street names the same. From DAY 1 if someone told me their address in the city, I could get a mental image of where I was in relation to them and how to get there.

newdawn
Burning Since: 2001

Post by newdawn » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:56 am

-Keep the street names, but drop the "theme" entirely. Or better yet, just make the theme be this: Art.

-Do something to promote ART on the playa, i.e. more granting. I've not done anything remotely resembling the art I've seen on the playa in past years, but am in a weird way inspired to do *something* next year. Consider it my own personal pitchfork of protest. And if I'm inspired to do art, out of spite at this year's non-showing of art on the playa, then certainly there are many more, with greater technical skills than myself, itching to do the same.

-Please consider balancing out the musical venues. We all know what this means.

-Change the shape of the city. Do something radical for the 20th year. I can find my way around the city in my sleep, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Confuse me. Disorient me. Surely the layout can be shifted around a bit without adding too much extra work to those that lay it out every year.

(I know this is perhaps at odds with the first suggestion about street names, however.)

-Reconsider who "builds" the city. This may have been an isolated incident. But one guy in a pickup was racing across the playa, the night of the temple burn, and somebody yelled for him to slow down because he almost ran somebody over. I think somebody might have chucked a piece of playa at his truck, I don't know. Anyway, he stopped, grabbed a piece of pipe or something from the back of his truck, brandishing it like a weapon, and yelled, "I built this city, and don't need you throwing anything at my ride . . . you fucking hippies!"

I know those people probably get a little crispy by the end of the festival, but brandishing pipes as a weapon? Dissing the attendees just because everybody shouted him down because he was probably going to run somebody over at 30 mph on the playa?

If anything, rotate people out more often if it looks like they're starting to crack, which clearly was the case in the above incident.

GuinivereElise

land grabbing/squatting

Post by GuinivereElise » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 pm

A few people and I were discussing the issue of land grabbing/staking. As a newbie, maybe I don't have the perspective that those of you seasoned veterans have, but it seemed odd to me that people were arriving on Monday, staking out huge portions of playa for their camp, and then not having anyone join them until Thursday or Friday. (There were several spots close to our camp that were like this) And, trying my hardest not to sound like a 3 year old, all I can say is it just doesn't seem fair.

The closest thing to a solution that I can come up with is having a stake-deadline. For instance, perhaps at midnight of each night all staked-but-uninhabited playa is up for grabs?

And maybe this isn't the right place to post this, or maybe it's not as huge an issue as the gate closing times or ticket prices, but, when we arrived to BRC after two days of travel, tired and weary, the first experience we had was with an angry squatter (it's a long story, or I would elaborate...).

anyone's thoughts??

GuinivereElise

Re: land grabbing/squatting

Post by GuinivereElise » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:49 pm

[quote="GuinivereElise"]

And maybe this isn't the right place to post this, or maybe it's not as huge an issue as the gate closing times or ticket prices, but, when we arrived to BRC after two days of travel, tired and weary, the first experience we had was with an angry squatter (it's a long story, or I would elaborate...).

quote]

Ug. Sorry about the above sentence and it's lack of structure. Must learn to proofread before hitting the 'submit' button. Humblest apologies...

Savior69

Temple burn/bikes

Post by Savior69 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:20 pm

Here is one idea that came to me this year. This was my 3rd year but first Temple burn. It seemed like bikes took up alot of good viewing space. Im sure a fence or line of some sort can be put up sun morn for bikes to not go past. 5 or six bikes clustered together is room for 15-20 standing people.

echohaus

Post by echohaus » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:17 pm

geekster wrote:Do something about the squatters in center camp. Not people dozing a little, I mean the ones on the couch curled up in their sleeping bags for hours with their backpacks taking up floor space too.
Hear, hear.
I'll admit to less than polite thoughts about the people taking up cozy sitting space, in the early a.m. I was always relegated to a hard bench or chair; sometimes, I really wanted to sit on something comfy, but there was some *&%$&[email protected]#$%^& laying there. always.
Shouldn't they have a camp to live in?

sunshine daydream

Post by sunshine daydream » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:51 pm

Illuminate the portapotty blocks out on the playa. They're really hard to find at night, and even if you have a rough idea of where they are, you still have to kind of stumble upon them.

tokenbrit

Post by tokenbrit » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:37 am

I agree with the point about bikes at the temple burn. It was my first year this year and i was really looking forward to the temple burn, and was hoping that the evening would be as beautiful and as moving as the temple itself. Sadly, I seemed to spend far too much time in crowds of ratty people pushing and bitching. In particular there was an incident where a whole group of bikes fell down and a ranger and group of people got into an argument about the space. the people who ownded the bikes were nowhere to be seen. I thought this was a shame.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:26 am

Bikes saved my ass,

In o2 i though a ladder was a good idea to the shoot the burn from. Not! I stationed myself almost back to the art cars. Some people with bikes were moving then back acording to a Ranger. I invited them to put the bikes at the base of my ladder. As more people come out more bikes were put around me. This was a good thing. The was burning nicely my camera was rolling. Great! Then the wind shifted and large hunks of fire come raining down. The crowd surged, I almost wet myself. Here they come right at me. The bikes saved me, the camera didn't stop, I got a little extra burn on me and got some great film.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am

tokenbrit wrote:In particular there was an incident where a whole group of bikes fell down and a ranger and group of people got into an argument about the space. the people who ownded the bikes were nowhere to be seen. I thought this was a shame.
As I walked back to camp from the burn with twilight brightening the Eastern sky, there were a freekin BAZILLION bikes all over the playa with nobody anywhere around. The bikes probably outnumbered the people 50 to 1 at that point. They were everywhere. I had my arms full of glass bottle MOOP and dodging all those bikes was a pain.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am

Bikes saved my ass,

In o2 i though a ladder was a good idea to the shoot the burn from. Not! I stationed myself almost back to the art cars. Some people with bikes were moving then back acording to a Ranger. I invited them to put the bikes at the base of my ladder. As more people come out more bikes were put around me. This was a good thing. The was burning nicely my camera was rolling. Great! Then the wind shifted and large hunks of fire come raining down. The crowd surged, I almost wet myself. Here they come right at me. The bikes saved me, the camera didn't stop, I got a little extra burn on me and got some great film.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:59 am

meee_bot wrote:1) Put the man on Hay bails again. He burned better back then
• ITYM straw bales

• the Man was never "on" straw bales -- it was on a wood platform with straw bales placed around it

• straw bales have been placed around the structure supporting the Man, just before the burn, every year since it was "on" straw bales -- just to give it that lovely burning-barn odor

• straw bales sitting there all week create moop -- more so when hordes of hippies climb all over them

• it wasn't better when the Man was standing on the ground

• or taking a dirt nap at the beach

• but it will be better next year

• sit down
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:16 am

1. I love Bob Stahl

Illuminate the portapotty blocks out on the playa. They're really hard to find at night, and even if you have a rough idea of where they are, you still have to kind of stumble upon them
Sounds like you have a great idea for a project next year. There's no power out those roads so consider that as you make your proposal.

3. Burning Man never purported itself to be a sex party. There was no public sex at the first burn. However, there were kids.

glam_daddy

Post by glam_daddy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:48 pm

1) make LARGE el wire signs at the entrance of each 0'clock street on esplianad. each sign reads the hour of that street. IE: 7:00 sign says 7:00 etc... That way when standing in the playa looking for that blinky light on that one tent you use as your marker to get home, you would have a clearer view of where you stood. Not only would this be very functional it would look very cool. we would be standing within a clock.

2) working off the first idea but taking it further. the man is the center of the clock. standing at the man you see the lit up hour signs all around. (well almost all around...) - Now make the lazers that usually shoot from the man be the arms of the clock. one large lazer making a line on the earth for the hour hand, one for the minute hand.... and of course one for the second hand. I can just see all the people on the esplinade now chasing after the second hand as it zooms around the circle. standing on the man platform you are able to actually read acurate time with the clock being the city.

3) make the theme 'time' fuck it why not. i know its been done but it complete the whole concept im working with......

So who wants to help me make the Large Oclock EL wire signs? Ill do that myself with permission. It will be VERY helpfull. especially when the man falls and we all are lost....
http://www.jordansplace.net

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:20 pm

<cue best Boston brahmin accent>

Ask not what the burn can do for you, ask instead what you can do for the burn.

</ ... you get it, right? ... >

Seriously, everytime you begin a statement with "Somebody should ..." or "the Org shuold...." you chip away at one of the more important things that draw us to this thing. (Well, important to me, which is why I'm writing this.)

That is taking care of your own needs, and being confident that most everyone else can take care of their own as well. To me, that is one of the more important things. Being self-reliant gives one (me) confidence to spread out, to be generous, curious and risk-taking.

And btw, posting suggestions here for how to do things better, to people who have been doing this thing for years, with limited resources; is not very effective. How would you feel about unsolicited advice from a stranger, about something that was very near and dear to you?

I think the ORG should ban those types of posts.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

glam_daddy

Post by glam_daddy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:40 pm

blyslv wrote: Seriously, everytime you begin a statement with "Somebody should ..." or "the Org shuold...." you chip away at one of the more important things that draw us to this thing.
That is taking care of your own needs, and being confident that most everyone else can take care of their own as well. .........
And btw, posting suggestions here for how to do things better, to people who have been doing this thing for years, with limited resources; is not very effective. How would you feel about unsolicited advice from a stranger, about something that was very near and dear to you?
I think the ORG should ban those types of posts.
--------------

WHOOOOAH there skippy slow down. This thread is about making things better. Its people helping other people. All the ideas here are valid and if implimented could be helpfull. I agree it should be less 'somebody should' and more 'i would like to' (thats why i stated in my suggestion that I would own the idea if it was embraced) but there is no need for the 'ORG' to ban posts that are creative brainstorms.

This is the community trying to better itself through creative thought. Isnt that part of the bigger picture?

And as far as posting advice to people who have been doing this for years, being an insult... Thats absurd in my humble opinion. Many people who now are a part of the BM ORG are people who came up with a great idea and mentioned it. They were told.. "hey thats great. we have a do-ology system here at MB ORG.. you want it done... so please do it."

Ive been at the meetings and seen it happen. So any odea that putside input is looked down on is misplaced.

glam
http://www.jordansplace.net

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:17 pm

I'd think the 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 Promenades should be fairly apparent from the lines of lantern-hung spires along each, extending out toward the Man.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Booker

Post by Booker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:54 pm

Ill do that myself with permission
Cool. I hereby give you the permission you seek. Go forth and create.

(PS: Larry's busy writing next year's theme, so he said it would be OK if I handled the "permission" questions until he gets back.)

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:15 pm

but there is no need for the 'ORG' to ban posts that are creative brainstorms.
psst...I think he was being ironic when he said that.

or at least the impression that I got.

I kinda think the clock/time markers are a cool idea. I'd honestly like to volunteer to make one but at this point I'm not sure if I caould commit to that. If we're still batting this idea around in January, I might know better one way or the other.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:06 am

Desi Arnaz wrote:Oh, and let's ban those damn scooters! Their little 2 stroke engines are loud/annoying as hell. And they almost always go faster than 5mph - any slower and they fall over.
Here here!!! Nasty noisy dirty little dust devils thoseare! Lifetime ban!

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:17 am

Bonzo wrote:
Desi Arnaz wrote:Oh, and let's ban those damn scooters! Their little 2 stroke engines are loud/annoying as hell. And they almost always go faster than 5mph - any slower and they fall over.
Here here!!! Nasty noisy dirty little dust devils thoseare! Lifetime ban!
Oops! I meant HEAR! HEAR!

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:08 am

I just spoke to my Doctor. She said it's likely I can get my tongue removed from my cheek without surgery.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:32 pm

glam_daddy wrote:1) make LARGE el wire signs at the entrance of each 0'clock street on esplianad. each sign reads the hour of that street. IE: 7:00 sign says 7:00 etc... <snip> we would be standing within a clock.

2) working off the first idea but taking it further. the man is the center of the clock. standing at the man you see the lit up hour signs all around. (well almost all around...) - Now make the lazers that usually shoot from the man be the arms of the clock. one large lazer making a line on the earth for the hour hand, one for the minute hand.... and of course one for the second hand. I can just see all the people on the esplinade now chasing after the second hand as it zooms around the circle. standing on the man platform you are able to actually read acurate time with the clock being the city.

<snip>

So who wants to help me make the Large Oclock EL wire signs?
Excellent Idea! And this would look way cool no matter where you are on the Playa (and functional also!). I am looking for a worthy "stationary" Art project to replace my Mutated vehicle (which has blown up twice now on the highway). I am willing to help you. I even have a bunch of ELwire (1-2k feet) and invertors. What about posts/uprights? Would the signs span the streets (over 30') or be to one side? Or maybe 100' or so out from Esplanade? Power? (solar would be nice)...thoughts? regards, Jafe

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:41 pm

glam_daddy wrote: So who wants to help me make the Large Oclock EL wire signs? Ill do that myself with permission. It will be VERY helpfull. especially when the man falls and we all are lost....
I can lend a hand on weekends. But it would be kind of cool if at man fall the clock reverses and runs backwards. 2:00 becomes 10:00, etc. Now once you get it figured out, it is STILL easy to navigate ... but hey, what a trip for a few hours!

Return to “Philosophical Center”