Does your theme camp embrace racial diversity?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Does your theme camp embrace racial diversity?

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm rather fond of teal, and salmon is named after a fish...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:well, we could give it to the colored folk, since they look so damn good in it...
Simon, I'm offended!

I look TERRIBLE in orange. Except a delicate melon shade, of course.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:17 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm rather fond of teal, and salmon is named after a fish...
It's all the same to me.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:31 am

you can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:57 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:you can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish.
no i can't.

also I can't dance or jump apparentely
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:09 am

And then there's always this:

“THEY’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!”
“The Only E-Zine You Should Ever Bother To Read”
DISCUSSION 76: Diversity Training In The Workplace

I swear to God I am not making this up: I just fucking pissed away an hour and a half of prime drinking time this morning taking a course called Diversity Training. I guess in this CYA world of ours the assholes who run Corporate feel that it is in our best interests to make us try and understand the world around us better so we can compete in the global marketplace. I can say with absolute certainty I am now less tolerant than I was before, and that’s saying something. It is the need for some ivory-towered faggot liberals and their never-ending desire to control our lives through subliminal messaging and forced indoctrination that this month’s enlightening discussion will address.

Looking over the syllabus of the course I should have known then and there that something truly dark and foreboding was afoot. I mean, look at the so-called Learning Objectives (and again, I swear I am not making these up): “…define culture including multiple cultural identities including nationality, gender, and race; and then utilize intercultural competence of your current world view…” What kind of fucking shithead asshole thought that up? Is it too much to ask cocksucking Mexican busboys to speak Goddamned English for fucks sake? Gender and race and intercultural competence? Are you shitting me? Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, I feel some bimbo who’s a coon from Haiti or some other Third World shithole would make a top-notch hooker and I put her to work blowing frat boys from UC San Diego, does that make me more or less sensitive? According to the “final analysis” not only does it make me “insensitive” to her plight but also a terrible work risk and I should be terminated post haste. I don’t think this survey adequately reflects my honest viewpoint of the world. Are my opinions any less relevant than those of some Democrat nigger in San Francisco? I should hope not.

Then they get into the idea of “Ability”. Apparently in these enlightened times simply because you’re incapable of doing a job doesn’t mean that you’re not more than qualified to actually take on that role. It has been said in this course that those of us who are normal, or as they describe it “persons without disability”, should feel obligated to help those who are retards or something. What I’d like to know is how did some buttwipe in a wheelchair ever get the job to begin with? Would you want to have a window washer or head security officer rolling around like Steven Hawking in case your office gets broken in to? I can just see it now, “Excuse me! Halt before I have to roll over your foot! Hay, mister, come back here because I can’t chase you up those stairs. No fair! I’m calling HR on you.” Fuck you Ironside. The way to solve that problem is to never allow it in the workplace to begin with. If we just redline anybody with a so-called “disability” then the situation just resolved itself.

Next up was sexual orientation. You’re kidding me, right? Clearly no normal hetero male wrote this “course” because we’re not “diverse” enough. Since when did “diversity” equate to “nauseating perversions with cattle and children”? I don’t think is it right that shareholder money is being used to promote a certain lifestyle that nobody who is actually employed here agrees with. Oh sure, it’s one thing to buttfuck your wife, or even your co-worker’s wife, but to tacitly suggest that buggering barnyard animals or fetuses or three-day old corpses simply because you’re a necrophiliac and that “condition” is sanctioned somewhere on Castro Street (as long as they’re the same sex as you of course, otherwise it would be weird) doesn’t fly with me. Not on a bet . There is only one kind of sexual orientation that should be condoned in the workplace and that is natural hetero affairs between management and their underlings, just like it’s always been. If my secretary wants to blow her way up the corporate ladder, that’s fine with me. But when the boy in the mail room thinks he’ll get a promotion if he allows me to buttfuck him will be sorting packages until hell freezes over.

And finally we get to “geographic background”. Why don’t you just come out and say it that you would rather us not go around saying we hate sand niggers and hook-nosed kykes and chinks and anyone else who is clearly inferior to us. Oh sure, we can make fun of polocks because they’re technically white people, and taking precautions not to pull out into traffic when some gook is barreling down on you is just plain common sense. And nobody’s going to call you on it if you let that spook get in the elevator all by himself. I mean, let’s get real, nobody wants to get mugged. But if we “…refuse to hire and promote from within…” anybody who is culturally abnormal than us then we run the risk of a lawsuit or worse. I don’t think I should have to kowtow down to some fucking
Indian, red-dot or otherwise, or spearchucker or Islamic terrorist just to appease some asshole from the ACLU. They can kiss my lily-white ass for all I care. Fuck you Gloria Allred and every other dyke you send my way you useless whore.

The point is made: “Diversity Training” in the workplace is not only a waste of everybody’s time, but it makes no sense in the real world of today. We’re not going to change human nature just because some homo wants to bugger his boyfriend in the lunchroom. We would be much better off if we just shitcanned the entire concept of diversity and inclusiveness and just let things go on as the natural world dictates. Is it such a foreign notion to simply hate everybody I see? God let’s hope not.

I think this was written by a Hollywood liberal. Honestly.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 am

thats nice.

you have fun with that, angry angry white man....

man, it's birth of a nation all up in this place....
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:32 am

thats Doc, on the right...

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 am

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 am

CAKE WALK AT BARBIE DEATH CAMP!!!
Frida Be You & Me

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 am

I have just loved this thread, I hadn't looked at it in a while and needed some kind of "lighten-up" this morning.....Doc, that was hilarious. Savannah, I will bring you some salmon for the M&G. Simon is right out there, how perfect. You are all my favorite fuckos. Can't wait to see everyone in just a few short weeks.....I feel better now.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:We have Republicans and Jews in our camp. How much more diversified can you get?
We had some Jews in our camp. I made some bagels with a shmear and some lox and those scumbags ate them all !

And they ripped the elastic bands to the headlamps I lent them with their horns.

Bastards.

Pyro, got a seat at the Shabbos table for ya if you want, same for you Simon. It's a SMALL thing, not like the large Israeli Shabbos camp. Hope ya don't mind the bacon. I can put it on a bagel for ya though.

BYOManishevetz

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 am

actually, my mother is roman catholic, i just play a jew when its convenient, like when i want a discount...
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:46 am

i would never be part of a tribe that would have ME as a member...

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 am

oh great, another self-loathing marxist....

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 am

H.G.Crosby wrote:oh great, another self-loathing marxist....
isn't that like being a wet dolphin?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 am

Eddie wrote:And they ripped the elastic bands to the headlamps I lent them with their horns.
It's actually a common misconception that Jews have horns. It derives from a mistranslated Biblical passage: "And when Moses came down from the mount Sinai, he held the two tables of the testimony, and he knew not that his face was horned from the conversation of the Lord."

However, a closer reading of the original Hebrew shows that the word karan translated above as "horned" actually means "shining" or "emitting rays." Hence, in Jewish depictions, Moses is usually shown with lightning bolts emanating from his head.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 am

as the natural world dictates
We all can't be mad because you have a small penis, Doc.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am

Bless wrote:
Eddie wrote:And they ripped the elastic bands to the headlamps I lent them with their horns.
It's actually a common misconception that Jews have horns. It derives from a mistranslated Biblical passage: "And when Moses came down from the mount Sinai, he held the two tables of the testimony, and he knew not that his face was horned from the conversation of the Lord."

However, a closer reading of the original Hebrew shows that the word karan translated above as "horned" actually means "shining" or "emitting rays." Hence, in Jewish depictions, Moses is usually shown with lightning bolts emanating from his head.
I rather suspect that Eddie knew this and was typing tongue in cheek.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 pm

On our first day in camp, we all plan on wearing name tags because our Japanese camp member says that we white people all look the same.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 am

[media]

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Reminds me of the time we were set up giving away drinks out on the playa when two big V-shaped black dudes showed up and I offered them drinks. They asked if I had any beer, "For you, sure!" I turned to my buddy maning the ice chest and he gave me a slightly panicked look. I glanced in the box and saw the only beer we had left was Watermellon flavored beer, seriously. Cheers!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Can't we have a week where none of this shit matters?
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 pm

thats the whole point...
Frida Be You & Me

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

TT120 wrote:Can't we have a week where none of this shit matters?
but why pretend that it doesnt matter? even if for a week? i think the subject does matter, even at burning man

no matter how much some people like to feel like burning man is a no politics/no religion/no 'real life' place.. it very much is a real life place, including all sorts of stuff people dont like to think about, or talk about....and good stuff too

burning man suicides, rapes, thefts, battery, arsonists..weddings, drug busts.accidental deaths. speeding tickets, alcohol anonymous, discussions about/camps about sexual boundaries, freaky sex clubs, people mourning dead/dying loved ones at a big church, people saying 'fuck yer day' ...people abusing drugs, people OD'ing.. people having mental breakdowns..engagements, orgies. people shitting themselves and pissing themselves, hugs, happiness, sadness, arguments, yoga..... whatever the fuck else.

just why is discussing so-called "racial diversity" off limits when we have nearly every aspect of the human condition on display or welcome ?

RADICAL INCLUSION!
RADICAL EXPRESSION......... but leave those difficult issues that are important at home this is my vacation!!!

perhaps burning man is the BEST place to discuss this, because of what it is.. because of who is there, because of the tolerance..
Don't link to anything here!

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Some of us have 52 of them :D

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 pm

lemur wrote:burning man suicides, rapes, thefts, battery, arsonists..weddings, drug busts.accidental deaths. speeding tickets, alcohol anonymous, discussions about/camps about sexual boundaries, freaky sex clubs, people mourning dead/dying loved ones at a big church, people saying 'fuck yer day' ...people abusing drugs, people OD'ing.. people having mental breakdowns..engagements, orgies. people shitting themselves and pissing themselves, hugs, happiness, sadness, arguments, yoga..... whatever the fuck else..
I've brushed up against many of these, participated in others.

I think, for me, the reason why I might wish that we didn't have to deal with this on the playa, is that I feel so helpless in the face of institutional racism in this country/society. If my ticket were dependent on my finding an african american first time to introduce to the event, I'd be staying home at the end of the month.
The Lady with a Lamprey

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Bless wrote:

Are you sure? I thought the misquote was, "And when mooses came down from Mount Sinai...", hence the whole horn thing. Apparently, they didn't have a word for antlers back then, either. Or if they did, those darn Canadians were too polite to insist on a correction.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm

You gotta remember that a moose was kind of a shock in the Middle East at that time. Hardly surprising that the proper term wasn't used.
The Lady with a Lamprey

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 pm

DrewDubious wrote:

Some of us have 52 of them :D
Oh shaddup, ya fookin' Hippie. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Philosophical Center”