RADICAL CHANGE FOR BM

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:06 pm

geekster wrote:Alt-Man isn't a bad idea ... Alt-Theme too while you're at it. Can he wear a pink tutu? As for a theme suggestion, I think Yogi Berra said it best when he said "The future ain't what it used to be."

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:07 pm

Ok so I forgot to add:
depending on the outcome of the election.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:01 am

The "Man" will be my slave in 05.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:03 am

I have been thinking (disjointedly) a bit about the Rob-Geekster, et. al., discussion about newbies/virgins and what it would take to bring them into the fold. The Temple of Vesta sounds attractive because it has a vaguely sexual undertone, probably essential to getting the horndog newcomer to step inside.

The thing is, it is so difficult to generalize about virgins. Some jump in with both feet, costumes, participation, what have you, others will remain spectators no matter how long they go or how hard one tries to get to them.

Maybe a buddy system kind of thing might be good, too, like a Costco less about screwin' and more about having someone to hang with. See Robbidobbs' post about roping people into her DPW and potty patrol rounds for what I think I mean. Did someone mention an Adopt-A-Virgin program at some point? I'd love to be part of that.

A parade of virgins would be great, perhaps, but does it not also send a message of "us and them"? What about life in the "villages" -- not having camped in one in my six times at BM, I wonder if these have a stronger sense of community that might be good for virgins to be a part of, say, a Vesta Village?

Geez, I need a cup of something.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:22 am

See, the parade is to get RID of the us/them thing. You are only a virgin once ... and then only until man fall. After man fall, there are no more virgins in BRC until next year. Like the Vestal Virgins in ancient Rome, our virgins should be celebrated. It isn't a separation, it is a welcoming, a chance to greet them, hug them, interact with them. It is interaction on a differfent scale. Rather than shunning a newbie or mocking them or making fun of them, it is a way of embracing and including them. Thanking them for taking the time to give something to the city. It is the city embracing the newbies and the newbies, as a group, embracing the city and getting a dose of the culture. It only happens once in a burner's experiance. If they walk away feeling good, chances are good everyone they come in contact with will also have a better experiance and their experiance in following years will be better. The '05 burners might actually get a better understanding of "Welcome Home" in 06.

Virgins are lucky!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:34 am

buckethead alien wrote: A parade of virgins would be great, perhaps, but does it not also send a message of "us and them"? What about life in the "villages" -- not having camped in one in my six times at BM, I wonder if these have a stronger sense of community that might be good for virgins to be a part of, say, a Vesta Village?
Nope. The idea is to coherse the virgins to jump in with both feet. A village would be misunderstood (Virgins- right on!) or ignored (let's face it- how many theme camps did you know about PRIOR to hitting BM the first time?).

Maybe a roundup and parade might not be 100% politically correct, but it will work far more effectively than a passive, silent effort.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:37 am

Rob the Wop wrote:Maybe a roundup and parade might not be 100% politically correct, but it will work far more effectively than a passive, silent effort.
This sounds a little like Block Rock Animal Control.

Return to “Philosophical Center”