What Does ePlaya Mean to You?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

What Does ePlaya Mean to You?

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:26 pm

I spend a lot of time here. It's kind of like a family, if you like that metaphor. Some people I like, some people I'm ashamed of, some people I refuse to talk to... Many people I love.

And sometimes I just shake my head in amazement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Re: What Does ePlaya Mean to You?

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Eplaya is an extended Burning Man community to me. I come here to find answers, answer questions, and get the skinny on whats really going on. I am pretty grateful it's here.
In dust we trust.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Support group, brain trust, town council, high school locker room.
Sic Semper Spectatores

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Padded toilet seat of social media. It's where I come to relax, get my bearings, try out new stuff, and goof off. Kind of like the camps on playa that I go to to get hydrated, chill the fuck out, regroup, and head back out on my next mission. It's a safe place where I don't have to continuously talk about shit. Here people know that I'm more than a tp slinger. I'm terribly grateful for the comfort it gives me.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I come here to read and talk about Burning Man and related stuff because everybody in my default world is tired of hearing about it. The comedy here is sometimes golden and sometimes very weird but whatever.....
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:36 pm

It's my connection. In real life ken and I are very reclusive. We go to work, we come home. We don't go out much. I think we just don't fit in here.

Eplaya is my connection to people who are like me and that love me. My tribe.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:37 pm

It is simply my way of staying connected to the people I love year round.

Although I must say that the number of burners I've never met who recognize me from my avatar in Reno and at the burn was a bit unsettling at first, I admit it is a great ice breaker and I've tried to make all of them feel as welcome in person as I do on eplaya.

Plus I second what TK said.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 pm

All of the above.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm pretty much brand new here but I've belonged to another forum for about 9 years now with almost 90,000 posts. For me it's a way to connect with like minded ideals, people, and to learn about others. I have all the same likes and dislikes you do with posters there but it's easier to be selective than in the default community I exist in. In my daily world there is very little connection and soul that matters to me and maybe these "real life" people are frightening to me because they seem not to care much for the things I care about and the way I behave. That's why jobs were often problematic for me also.

Just a few times in my life have I felt like I've sort of been in my tribe. One was an alternative college in the 70s that was like Burning Man six days a week but sadly was closed down. The other was my three times at Burning Man and the third I would say is with my dogs. The rest is a somewhat frightening wash for me. I feel like the man who fell to earth or a stranger in a strange land. I really don't fit and I don't want to much of the time but as a primate I need society of some sort. This place and my other forum provide that for me within my default existence in La la land. It may be mostly illusion but it works for me. I hope to expand that to being here at eplaya as I feel a deep connection to Burning Man as a symbol for my own search for meaning and enjoyment in being alive on this strange rock. I hope to find people who will be interested in my pov and I in theirs. I did a fair amount of lurking before posting here so I feel fairly confident in this. Also having posted in my other forum for so long I can handle snark and conflict fairly well most of the time. I can take it and I can dish it. So I'm thinking it's going to be fun to be here.

Plus I can find plans for my Monkey hut.

Don't believe everything you think.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 pm

it's my place to "be".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:37 pm

This was my first connection to Burning man before I as able to attend the 2004 event.

The last few weeks have been my connection again as I prepare once more to embark upon another visit for 2015. I was hoping for a nice even 10 year "reunion" tour of Black Rock City but it's looking more like it'll be the baker's decade for me instead. So I'm back to rekindle old connections, make new ones, and see if I can't be a better participant this time around.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:07 am

I begin my day with eplaya, and one week a year, I see eplayans. One week each year I go on "real" vacation and leave eplaya alone. Much more contact and concern about eplayans than my own relatives.

Coffee and blood, I guess.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 am

it's gestalt.

and all of you are my therapist...
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 am

"Gestalt psychology tries to understand the laws of our ability to acquire and maintain meaningful perceptions in an apparently chaotic world."

ok, sounds legit...
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 am

Connection to the Playa during the 'rest of the year". Plus lots of good info.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 am

I enjoy the abuse. :D
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am

I can be an asshole, and that's okay.

It’s hard for me to clarify what eplaya means to me. I know I would not have attended the past several Burns without the fine folks here. Sometimes when I saw nothing, they saw something. Without eplaya, the Burns would then be absent from my life. The Burn helps me feel like a real human. In the past couple years, the Burn is really all I had to look fondly forward to. I was validated by eplaya, received tickets from eplaya, was scolded by eplaya, encouraged to attend and be me by eplaya, made friends on eplaya, made enemies on eplaya, was fed and coddled by eplaya Meet and Greet, my chariot was fixed by eplayans, was just a member of a nice camp with great people thanks to eplaya, I've come in contact with some odd-ball geniuses, and had so so so many laughs.

The nature of eplaya means that if someone sticks around they are 1. Literate; conveying ideas and thoughts and feelings via the written language. 2. Intellectual; they are here opening themselves to scrutiny and abuse, willing to enter the fray with whatever it is backing up their written words, and words are important to them. 3. Opinionated; why say anything if it ain’t something you believe in. 4. Oddly introverted; they are sitting at a computer, more likely than not alone, wrestling with ideas. 5. Of course extroverts, they’re Burners! Reaching out and interacting with others beyond on and off the playa. 6. And for a few of us, I think that combination makes us nuts, not eplaya, this is a nice safe place for our nuttiness to go.

So, yeah, other than at times giving me a reason to live, I’m not sure that eplaya means anything to me.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:35 am

It's Fun!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:53 pm

It's like a great playa bar, sans drinks (usually).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:56 pm

damnnnnnn some of these answers brought tears to my eyes.

Eplaya is where I lurked for a long time before ever posting. Eplaya taught me to be a good and prepared burner. Eplaya lets me use my snark and appreciate others snark.

i have made lifelong friends here (just try and get rid of me) who are like family. I may only see you once a year but wouldn't miss it for the world. Maybe if we all lived closer to each other we wouldn't see each other as much as we do once a year. I love you all (well most) and if it weren't for eplaya I could become loner stoner. Whatever happened to him? Eplaya and Burning man has encouraged me to get out and volunteer and take part at home and at BRC.

I'm rambling now...

ramble

Thank you all for being who you are
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm

I have had great luck with message boards since I first started interneting in 2001, met lots of great people and this one is no exception. I am more off and on when it comes to Burning Man so I am not always present but I appreciate everyone here, some of my favorite burners in the world.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 pm

this is home with my homies to talk with

xoA.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Thank you
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 pm

For me personally... ePlaya is like watching 80s daytime soaps. Mixed with public access and instructional videos. I come here for the information and stay for the snark. Both of which ePlaya abounds. I minimize all drama in my own life, so I like to watch it unfold here. Plus all of you guys rock in your own "snowflake" kind of way. 8)

Seriously, though. The information available here is astounding. Thanks to everyone who so selflessly shares their knowledge.

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Post by msj2u » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 pm

For me ePlaya means new friends (some of whom I had the pleasure of meeting this year)!

But most of all, when I read about family or friends passing, I see this group rally around the person involved...I'm deeply touched by this as I don't have that in the default world.

I understand not all get along, there is snark, etc...but when the world tips upside down....this playa family is one of the best....I hope to get to know more people in the coming year....

huggs to those who need them, want them, or miss the playa as much as I do tonight.

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

southern crone
Burning Since: 2014

Post by southern crone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:08 am

I see ePlaya as a glimpse into the makeup of Burning Man, an event that attracts 70,000 plus people around the world ( for a reason). It's a place to see the personal structure; sharing, knowledge, creativity, experience, and feelings of Burners. It has given me, a shy introvert loner, the knowledge, confidence and comfort needed to break out of my small world and experience an event I have longed to partake in for years. I will get it right next year!!! Thank you ePlayans. Listening to Joe Cocker, what can I say. :oops:

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 am

i always felt like a misfit , here it fits :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:39 am

King Moon Raiser Approved.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 am

A place to get my daily lashings in as self punishment. Cause let's face it, most of. You would beat me ya if you could.:twisted:
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 am

southern crone wrote:I see ePlaya as a glimpse into the makeup of Burning Man, an event that attracts 70,000 plus people around the world ( for a reason). It's a place to see the personal structure; sharing, knowledge, creativity, experience, and feelings of Burners. It has given me, a shy introvert loner, the knowledge, confidence and comfort needed to break out of my small world and experience an event I have longed to partake in for years. I will get it right next year!!! Thank you ePlayans. Listening to Joe Cocker, what can I say. :oops:
Cool cool cool, There are more than a few of us introverts loners and misanthropes who break out once a year to find a home among the Burning Man family. In the default world I avoid people like the plague most of the time and crowds are usually a complete no go for me but that all changes at Burning Man. I can't get enough then.

Don't believe everything you think.

Return to “Philosophical Center”