Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners running amok

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners running amok

Post by lucky420 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Elderberry wrote:Actually, the more I think about this, I am coming to the conclusion that a total PnP experience is impossible no matter how much money a person spends. With the harsh and unexpected conditions of the desert, people, regardless of how much money they spend, need to be prepared far beyond what their money can buy.

That being said, there really is no good reason there can't be an upscale experience that actually combines both worlds. There's no reason that PnP camps can't require their attendees to read the First Timers Guide, Survival Guide, The 10 Principles. There's no reason that PnP camps can't make it a requirement that their members moop, help with certain basic elements of setup, working the bar or whatever activity the camp provides.

After all, it seems that the main reason everybody is bitching about PnP is that the members don't have to do anything--and consequently they really aren't prepared for desert conditions, they don't learn the essence of the event and consequently they aren't getting the full value of their investment no matter what the cost.

So what then, if they don't actually have to do all their own cooking (though there could be a pot luck lunch or dinner requirement), or building their own shelter or packing in all of their supplies.

Wouldn't that keep everybody happy? (more or less :? )
My bitch in this fight is JT. Fuck you Borg member pay for play moop dropping motherfucker. You're a fucking BORG member. Did nobody else on the Borg not mention any of the principles or were your eyes to bright and shiny with the expectation of making a buck or making more connections with your new found, I mean bought cred to listen?. Fuck you.
The rest of the PnPs don't really bother me much. YMMV
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

I enjoyed that rant immensely. :evil: (I am a child of the 60s)

As to the post quoted I agree. As I get older going to the Man gets more challenging but I still want to work for my burn so to speak. I'd make use of the kind of P&P you are proposing.

Don't believe everything you think.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:10 pm

kiboy wrote:I enjoyed that rant immensely. :evil: (I am a child of the 60s)

As to the post quoted I agree. As I get older going to the Man gets more challenging but I still want to work for my burn so to speak. I'd make use of the kind of P&P you are proposing.

Sometimes it just feels good :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:54 pm

lucky420 wrote:
My bitch in this fight is JT. Fuck you Borg member pay for play moop dropping motherfucker. You're a fucking BORG member. Did nobody else on the Borg not mention any of the principles or were your eyes to bright and shiny with the expectation of making a buck or making more connections with your new found, I mean bought cred to listen?. Fuck you.
I'm right there with you on that.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Elderberry wrote:
kiboy wrote:MOD ABUSE! :(
Oh, couldn't you tell? My mod hat was off.
Fell off because you were pounding it so hard.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
kiboy wrote:MOD ABUSE! :(
Oh, couldn't you tell? My mod hat was off.
Fell off because you were pounding it so hard.
Hahahahahaha :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :?
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 pm

lucky420 wrote:My bitch in this fight is JT. Fuck you Borg member pay for play moop dropping motherfucker. You're a fucking BORG member. Did nobody else on the Borg not mention any of the principles or were your eyes to bright and shiny with the expectation of making a buck or making more connections with your new found, I mean bought cred to listen?. Fuck you.
YES! Corruption and abuses should be fought on the shores at every instance.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:38 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 am

THREAD DRIFT!!!

let's review the OP's OP....

BBadger wrote:The below may offend some of the people here on the forum, many of whom I respect, but I think many of you are unfortunately blinded by your wealth resentment and puritanistic views of the event and its people.

This circle-jerk thread is pathetic. It comprises a gaggle of resentful, busybody burners spewing vitriol at a bunch of people and camps they don't know, treating unfounded ASSumptions as facts, and professing to know -- somehow -- about the "participation" of individuals at the burn. The thread embodies all the lameness associated with churches, where self-righteous members disdain outsiders and others within the church who don't follow some specific interpretation of the religion -- and who cannot see their own hypocrisy by doing so.

The sad, ironic fact of the matter is: you are the ones who are not "getting it" about Burning Man -- not these other individuals for whom you claim knowledge about. You are the ones acting like self-righteous assholes, as Puritan Burners (Burnitans?) thinking themselves more pious than their neighbor through good works. You don't get gifting, radical inclusion, participation, or even for that matter decommodification. No, you just don't get it.

Unless you are actually as omniscient as you pretend you are, kindly SHUT THE FUCK UP about purporting to know whether someone you see is an actual "participant" or a playa-parasite. You don't know what they did before the event. You don't know what they've done while at the event. You do not jack shit about that person by stupid metrics such as riding a Segway or using a look-alike bike. You certainly do not know how this event may affect a person for their future. That person you ASSume is a "plug-and-playing, tourist-spectator, frat-bro-dude raver" may well become a contributing member to this society, but here you are making lame ASSumptions about them based on a passing moment that you observed them. Stop being a busybody. Go enjoy your burn and let others enjoy theirs.

Kindly shut the fuck up about other peoples' "participation" or what you perceive is an "indicator" that someone is not "participating." Again, you're not omniscient. If all you want are people demonstrating their "participation" go join some busybody religious organization so you can keep tabs on each other. Furthermore, not everyone (or probably nobody) relishes shit like setting up camps, pedaling some second-hand-bike, or even driving to the event, nor do those things make a person a "participant." Yes, people pay money for conveniences. WE ALL DO. Every camping implement you brought was designed expressly to make your outdoor stay more "plug-and-play." Those lag-bolts you drilled in? Plug-and-play. Generators? Plug-and-play (literally). So how do you even keep a straight face while making claims against PnP camps based on these arbitrary and superficial standards? Oh, someone manning the bar instead of a campmate? A bike the camp provided instead of a friend hauling it in? Wait, what really is the difference here? Yeah, not much difference, only it probably cost the person more (cry me a river).

So shut the fuck up with your hypocritical, wealth-resenting diatribes about plug-and-play camps and concentrate on burning the way you like to burn.

Do you even know what it means to "participate" or do you just spout of the term to make yourself feel superior? "Participation" at Burning Man is a personal quest of betterment. You should "participate" because it makes you feel good, not to fulfill a quota, and not to make others think better of you. Your mindset should be that you want and choose to participate, and that others who choose not to are simply missing out on that aspect of the burn, and that's their loss.

Yeah, that's right. Participating because you want to participate. That's it. No staring down your nose at the people you don't even know and ASSuming they're "tourists" or whatever lame label you parrot. You're only commodifying "participation" by treating it as some sort of quota to be fulfilled to be worthy of staying at the event. Let people "radically express" themselves how they want. If they want to burn the way you do, they will.

Holy shit, people transact money to attend Burning Man. Imagine that. What do you think camp dues are for? They pay for a service that certain, often "core" members, take care of. Not just gas money, but also time. Oh, and what do you think your camp "participation" labor is for? It's transacting your labor for being allowed to stay at the camp. Sacred Spaces explicitly charges more if you're unwilling to stick around and help with tear-down and clean up the place. Again, all this whining about PnP camps seems to really be about wealth-resentment, and I'd invite you all to evaluate what really bugs you about PnP camps besides your unfounded ASSumptions about individuals who would rather pay to not have to deal with camp shit. After all, why no hate against Burner Express people who paid to ride into the burn on a bus to a camp that was already set up by others? Or what about people paying for a ride-share which obviously benefits -- monetarily -- all involved? Or people paying to have grey-water pumped rather than evaporated? Or shipping containers delivered on-playa so you don't even need haul in shit again? Or people who pay $5/bag to dispose of trash? Or paying for water expressly set up for burners? Or people who rent RVs? Or what about those little kids or spouses/partners who aren't doing any camp setup? Where are the lame threads about those (this year)?

It's all about Wealth resentment. Get over it and you'll be happier for it.

Please stop attending the event if you keep holding onto such regressive views. You are the ones who don't "get it." It is obvious that your views are more in line with the default world, in particular, with the kind of self-righteous busybodies that attend churches just to gossip and feel more pious than their neighbors. We don't need that here. This is not a puritan event. People participate because they enjoy it, not to fulfill someone else's quota. If that's too much for you, get out. Get the fuck out.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 am

Again, you're not omniscient

Again, you've yet to prove otherwise.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 pm

[quote="Elderberry"]Yes. Because there is only so much complaining and whining I can take. ....over it, but you'll be pissing me off! 8) :shock: :wink: [quote]

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Instead, they give you a chefs hat, oh well.
Mod abuse, but in defense of the powerful, he'll get rewarded.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:Yes. Because there is only so much complaining and whining I can take. ....over it, but you'll be pissing me off! 8) :shock: :wink:
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Instead, they give you a chefs hat, oh well.
Next stop...BMORG board of directors and my own PnP camp! And I'm setting it up right next to where you're camping next year. :roll:
JK

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:10 pm

If I start agreeing with you can I get a P&P discount and guaranteed ticket?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:14 pm

kiboy wrote:If I start agreeing with you can I get a P&P discount and guaranteed ticket?
No. You wouldn't even qualify to be a Sherpa.
JK

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 pm

You've just created a terrorist. :evil:

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying a cool drink and lots of popcorn...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:45 pm

And watching the daytime eplaya drama, As the Stomach Turns.

Pass that Popcorn.

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:26 pm

This year on Friday on our way to the playa we stopped for gas in Wadsworth, and my 71' purple Sportscoach Motorhome ended up being parked in the middle of 10 ultra-luxury RV's also on their way to the playa. I asked one of the drivers for my payment for renting my RV for the camp. He said, "we'll pay you $500 to park that thing far away from these rigs." He did not pay me for the deal, and that was not very nice!

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:07 pm

jcliff wrote:This year on Friday on our way to the playa we stopped for gas in Wadsworth, and my 71' purple Sportscoach Motorhome ended up being parked in the middle of 10 ultra-luxury RV's also on their way to the playa. I asked one of the drivers for my payment for renting my RV for the camp. He said, "we'll pay you $500 to park that thing far away from these rigs." He did not pay me for the deal, and that was not very nice!

Then you must find a better job and try harder.

Simon of the Playa

Righteous ELDER burners who Know the Root Of ALL Evil.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 am

i'm sorry "elder" berry, you may be "old" but you havent spent nearly the time in the dust that i have...therefore, i don't consider you an "elder"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Socks on a mission from G*d

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am

i think he just questioned your authority...

yes, i'm quite certain he did.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:19 am

HaHa That's OK Roberto, If you heard the story behind how I got that name, you'd no there was conference of status that came along with it! :shock: (except being old :cry: )
JK

H.G.Crosby

Re: Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners who know gramma

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 am

you'd no

how clever of you to use graphical NLP on us...

Simon of the Playa

vindicated, humble burners who care...

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:47 am

the push is not over.

keep the pressure on.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

hey BBadger, remember this?

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:29 am

strange love wrote:

Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

pot calling the kettle stoned.

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 am

you can be such an asshole sometimes, you know that don't you... 8)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:36 am

Just a part of being all things to all people!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Simon of the Playa

sit down, shut the fuck up, and don't drink the kool aid

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:41 am

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 am

so it is written.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 am

Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:Yes. Because there is only so much complaining and whining I can take. ....over it, but you'll be pissing me off! 8) :shock: :wink:
Next stop...BMORG board of directors and my own PnP camp! And I'm setting it up right next to where you're camping next year. :roll:
WTF, I better get a PnP campsite - or an invite to yours...
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Return to “Philosophical Center”