Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners running amok

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners running amok

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:15 pm

The below may offend some of the people here on the forum, many of whom I respect, but I think many of you are unfortunately blinded by your wealth resentment and puritanistic views of the event and its people.

This circle-jerk thread is pathetic. It comprises a gaggle of resentful, busybody burners spewing vitriol at a bunch of people and camps they don't know, treating unfounded ASSumptions as facts, and professing to know -- somehow -- about the "participation" of individuals at the burn. The thread embodies all the lameness associated with churches, where self-righteous members disdain outsiders and others within the church who don't follow some specific interpretation of the religion -- and who cannot see their own hypocrisy by doing so.

The sad, ironic fact of the matter is: you are the ones who are not "getting it" about Burning Man -- not these other individuals for whom you claim knowledge about. You are the ones acting like self-righteous assholes, as Puritan Burners (Burnitans?) thinking themselves more pious than their neighbor through good works. You don't get gifting, radical inclusion, participation, or even for that matter decommodification. No, you just don't get it.

Unless you are actually as omniscient as you pretend you are, kindly SHUT THE FUCK UP about purporting to know whether someone you see is an actual "participant" or a playa-parasite. You don't know what they did before the event. You don't know what they've done while at the event. You do not jack shit about that person by stupid metrics such as riding a Segway or using a look-alike bike. You certainly do not know how this event may affect a person for their future. That person you ASSume is a "plug-and-playing, tourist-spectator, frat-bro-dude raver" may well become a contributing member to this society, but here you are making lame ASSumptions about them based on a passing moment that you observed them. Stop being a busybody. Go enjoy your burn and let others enjoy theirs.

Kindly shut the fuck up about other peoples' "participation" or what you perceive is an "indicator" that someone is not "participating." Again, you're not omniscient. If all you want are people demonstrating their "participation" go join some busybody religious organization so you can keep tabs on each other. Furthermore, not everyone (or probably nobody) relishes shit like setting up camps, pedaling some second-hand-bike, or even driving to the event, nor do those things make a person a "participant." Yes, people pay money for conveniences. WE ALL DO. Every camping implement you brought was designed expressly to make your outdoor stay more "plug-and-play." Those lag-bolts you drilled in? Plug-and-play. Generators? Plug-and-play (literally). So how do you even keep a straight face while making claims against PnP camps based on these arbitrary and superficial standards? Oh, someone manning the bar instead of a campmate? A bike the camp provided instead of a friend hauling it in? Wait, what really is the difference here? Yeah, not much difference, only it probably cost the person more (cry me a river).

So shut the fuck up with your hypocritical, wealth-resenting diatribes about plug-and-play camps and concentrate on burning the way you like to burn.

Do you even know what it means to "participate" or do you just spout of the term to make yourself feel superior? "Participation" at Burning Man is a personal quest of betterment. You should "participate" because it makes you feel good, not to fulfill a quota, and not to make others think better of you. Your mindset should be that you want and choose to participate, and that others who choose not to are simply missing out on that aspect of the burn, and that's their loss.

Yeah, that's right. Participating because you want to participate. That's it. No staring down your nose at the people you don't even know and ASSuming they're "tourists" or whatever lame label you parrot. You're only commodifying "participation" by treating it as some sort of quota to be fulfilled to be worthy of staying at the event. Let people "radically express" themselves how they want. If they want to burn the way you do, they will.

Holy shit, people transact money to attend Burning Man. Imagine that. What do you think camp dues are for? They pay for a service that certain, often "core" members, take care of. Not just gas money, but also time. Oh, and what do you think your camp "participation" labor is for? It's transacting your labor for being allowed to stay at the camp. Sacred Spaces explicitly charges more if you're unwilling to stick around and help with tear-down and clean up the place. Again, all this whining about PnP camps seems to really be about wealth-resentment, and I'd invite you all to evaluate what really bugs you about PnP camps besides your unfounded ASSumptions about individuals who would rather pay to not have to deal with camp shit. After all, why no hate against Burner Express people who paid to ride into the burn on a bus to a camp that was already set up by others? Or what about people paying for a ride-share which obviously benefits -- monetarily -- all involved? Or people paying to have grey-water pumped rather than evaporated? Or shipping containers delivered on-playa so you don't even need haul in shit again? Or people who pay $5/bag to dispose of trash? Or paying for water expressly set up for burners? Or people who rent RVs? Or what about those little kids or spouses/partners who aren't doing any camp setup? Where are the lame threads about those (this year)?

It's all about Wealth resentment. Get over it and you'll be happier for it.

Please stop attending the event if you keep holding onto such regressive views. You are the ones who don't "get it." It is obvious that your views are more in line with the default world, in particular, with the kind of self-righteous busybodies that attend churches just to gossip and feel more pious than their neighbors. We don't need that here. This is not a puritan event. People participate because they enjoy it, not to fulfill someone else's quota. If that's too much for you, get out. Get the fuck out.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Roberto Dobbisano

Re: Self-righteous, wealth-resenting burners running amok

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:26 pm

too long, didnt read.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Started to read, then realized, this cat ain't omniscient, so what can he possibly add to any discussion?
Plenty, of course, but then I don't need divine proof for anyone's opinion.

Man, I remember coming upon the dread hippie passed out in his own vomit on the playa, and the concerned dude who stopped to care for someone else, sort of like a Good Samaritan, totally so church-like un-burner of that dude, should mind his own burn.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:37 pm

[media]
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:37 pm

fuck me bbadger thats a hell of a rant. you should watch your blood pressure.

oh and full of shit. BUT you know what? i'm not interested enough to start a row on another thread - you fill this one up yourself
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

strange love

Post by strange love » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:54 pm

You mad BRO?

(:

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:41 pm

I actually like the way this one is starting off. Plus there's a lot less to read and I'm in on the ground floor. The only thing is... haven't we already done this?

Don't believe everything you think.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:59 am

I don't resent the rich burners, at least they're trying something outside the normal NYC-Vegas-Hollywood circuit.

I resent the fact that more and more people at Burning Man have bosses there.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:07 am

When their RVs, massive generators, and 8ft high plywood walls stare you in the face where you've always chosen to camp, then your POV may change, or not...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:33 am

CRUCIFY SOMEONE!

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:02 am

Maybe BM has outgrown itself and it's initial vision. I dig the grandeur of all that creative energy that shows up but there may be a point of diminishing returns as far as size goes. And maybe money does corrupt things when there is enough of it. I think we can find examples enough in the world at large to have to consider that.

For myself I'd like to see some lower scale downsized versions in similar type locals. God do I love the desert environment. But I'm in my late years and I don't have the energy to start up such a thing so I'll have to take what is offered. Honestly I'm not sure where to stand on all this.

Like I inferred in that other thread I kind of wish I didn't know about all this. I forget so easily about human nature when I get all emotional. When I saw the webcam this year and realized I hadn't been on the playa in so long and my life had gotten off track somewhere from the hopeful place it had been in those first burns I attended I wept pretty hard and told myself that I needed to get back out there and find that thread. But now I'm thinking maybe that I won't find that thread anymore there and it's all on the wane just like civilization as a whole from my jaundiced viewpoint. I mean that's what this is all about right? People fighting to keep their vision of what they found on the Playa alive and strong. Maybe entropy doesn't allow for that. Maybe it will just change into something different from the "good ol daze"

But having said all of the above, I am greatly heartened to still see here a lot of really wonderful open hearted intelligent generous people. And that makes me want to go and believe if this is ending it's not quite there yet and I will still find what I'm looking for at the Man.In the end it may be quite easy to just look the other way at the things I wish were not there because I do a lot of that everyday anyway. But I do come to the Man to get away from some of that shit.
I think Burning Man overall still draws some of the best humans on the planet and gets them all in one place to have a good time and share an amazing vibe. Can that withstand a lot of folk without that same vision along the potential of huge profits to be had for some who may be making the rules? I'm wondering. It usually doesn't work out that way in the world at large from my POV.

I sure am getting an eyeful reading all these ongoing threads.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:26 am

I poop in a private potty all week, it's shaded, serviced everyday, and clean.
We also have a walk in cooler to keep our beer cold, :twisted: and it is a LOT of beer, can I be resented, please.

:twisted:

The life of the dusty and shameless.

:D

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:29 am

Just get married.

strange love

Post by strange love » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:35 am

So this dude is worth half a billion, I doubt he's trying to make 6figs off a Bm camp. Maybe his good intentions were corrupted by his default life habits. Iiwii and other cliches (:

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:04 am

strange love wrote: Maybe his good intentions were corrupted by his default life habits.
(:
I know mine often are.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:34 am

My father always said that there's nothing wrong with being used. Everyone uses everybody. Just make sure, 1) you know you are being used and 2) you use them right back.

We, the participants, have created something that is valuable. An experience that people will pay money for. The Org acknowledged that when the Directed Group Tickets were introduced. We are used by the Org to create an experience that they can sell. And we all consent to that by buying a ticket, and making our art and cooking our bacon. And we use them right back. They build our infrastructure and get all of the permits and create the event. We can bitch all we want about the balance of power there or who is using who more, but it is a consensual and explicit relationship.

The vendors you mentioned, are again mutually acceptable contracts. We give them money and they pump our grey water. Burner Express brings people to the even AND keeps extra cars off the road.

But Plug N Plays aren't just selling lodging and food and clothing and servants. They are selling us. They are selling the experience we create. And we have no way of consenting to it. We are the animals in the zoo and they are paying to watch us and play around us, comfortable in the belief that the 10 principles have trained us not to attack.

And for the record, plenty of rich people attend without needing sherpas and while contributing as burners. And while the rants may be rich and varied, the only class warfare I saw advocated was between allegedly abused employees and douchebag bosses.

/TLDR my own rant
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 am

strange love wrote:So this dude is worth half a billion, I doubt he's trying to make 6figs off a Bm camp. Maybe his good intentions were corrupted by his default life habits. Iiwii and other cliches (:
No one sets out to make a billion dollars. They set out to make a hundred, and then a thousand and then more and more.

The same drive, ambition and instincts (good or bad, I don't know his story) that create that level of wealth don't go away when you decide you have enough.
Sic Semper Spectatores

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:12 am

There is a certain delicious irony watching someone spend a few thousand words to tell others to STFU.

No more caffeine for you, BBadger! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:21 am

VultureChow wrote:My father always said that there's nothing wrong with being used. Everyone uses everybody. Just make sure, 1) you know you are being used and 2) you use them right back.

We, the participants, have created something that is valuable. An experience that people will pay money for. The Org acknowledged that when the Directed Group Tickets were introduced. We are used by the Org to create an experience that they can sell. And we all consent to that by buying a ticket, and making our art and cooking our bacon. And we use them right back. They build our infrastructure and get all of the permits and create the event. We can bitch all we want about the balance of power there or who is using who more, but it is a consensual and explicit relationship.

The vendors you mentioned, are again mutually acceptable contracts. We give them money and they pump our grey water. Burner Express brings people to the even AND keeps extra cars off the road.

But Plug N Plays aren't just selling lodging and food and clothing and servants. They are selling us. They are selling the experience we create. And we have no way of consenting to it. We are the animals in the zoo and they are paying to watch us and play around us, comfortable in the belief that the 10 principles have trained us not to attack.

And for the record, plenty of rich people attend without needing sherpas and while contributing as burners. And while the rants may be rich and varied, the only class warfare I saw advocated was between allegedly abused employees and douchebag bosses.

/TLDR my own rant
yea this hits it right on the head. +97
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:59 am

BBadger: i am calling you out on this. You and I both know there is really only one way to settle this.

I will bravely and selflessly volunteer for undercover duty next year. I will need a $20,000 KickStarter campaign to pull it off, and must reserve several young, nubile redheads as Sherpas. i will conduct research and validate my hypothesis using hard-won hands-on (snicker) data.

I'm a giver that way. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 am

VultureChow wrote:My father always said that there's nothing wrong with being used. Everyone uses everybody. Just make sure, 1) you know you are being used and 2) you use them right back.

/TLDR my own rant

+ another 1000
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 am

I kinda agree with BBadger on this one. If a rich asshat wants his burn to be nothing but gawping at the freaks then that's the burn he wants. He's not so much different than the not-so-rich asshat who's just checking something off of his bucket list (remember the good ol' days of complaining about the fratboys ad naseum?). That the camp operator is making money off of displaying us freaks to his clients is annoying but a relatively minor exploitation to me.

My concern is about the camp Mr. GotRocks is staying in. Does it contribute anything to the city? If it does, great. If it doesn't, and Placement is doing its job, the camp doesn't get placed next year and the operator gets no EAs and no guaranteed contiguous square footage. He can't deliver the promised "experience" to his clients, word gets around, and he has a hard sell the year after that.

Problem solved.

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:56 am

VultureChow wrote:
strange love wrote:So this dude is worth half a billion, I doubt he's trying to make 6figs off a Bm camp. Maybe his good intentions were corrupted by his default life habits. Iiwii and other cliches (:
No one sets out to make a billion dollars. They set out to make a hundred, and then a thousand and then more and more.

The same drive, ambition and instincts (good or bad, I don't know his story) that create that level of wealth don't go away when you decide you have enough.

^ this

The motto of much of the rich is too much is never enough

You know though. I attended BM my last year with a Multi Millionaire. Within a couple of years he had ceased to be a workaholic due in part to his experiences there. He still makes a boatload of cash each year but he lets his underlings do more of the work now. :lol:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:13 am

Totally agree, though you need to get yourself an editor. I hear the Sherpas can help with that. ;)
BBadger wrote:The below may offend some of the people here on the forum, many of whom I respect, but I think many of you are unfortunately blinded by your wealth resentment and puritanistic views of the event and its people.

This circle-jerk thread is pathetic. It comprises a gaggle of resentful, busybody burners spewing vitriol at a bunch of people and camps they don't know, treating unfounded ASSumptions as facts, and professing to know -- somehow -- about the "participation" of individuals at the burn. The thread embodies all the lameness associated with churches, where self-righteous members disdain outsiders and others within the church who don't follow some specific interpretation of the religion -- and who cannot see their own hypocrisy by doing so.

The sad, ironic fact of the matter is: you are the ones who are not "getting it" about Burning Man -- not these other individuals for whom you claim knowledge about. You are the ones acting like self-righteous assholes, as Puritan Burners (Burnitans?) thinking themselves more pious than their neighbor through good works. You don't get gifting, radical inclusion, participation, or even for that matter decommodification. No, you just don't get it.

Unless you are actually as omniscient as you pretend you are, kindly SHUT THE FUCK UP about purporting to know whether someone you see is an actual "participant" or a playa-parasite. You don't know what they did before the event. You don't know what they've done while at the event. You do not jack shit about that person by stupid metrics such as riding a Segway or using a look-alike bike. You certainly do not know how this event may affect a person for their future. That person you ASSume is a "plug-and-playing, tourist-spectator, frat-bro-dude raver" may well become a contributing member to this society, but here you are making lame ASSumptions about them based on a passing moment that you observed them. Stop being a busybody. Go enjoy your burn and let others enjoy theirs.

Kindly shut the fuck up about other peoples' "participation" or what you perceive is an "indicator" that someone is not "participating." Again, you're not omniscient. If all you want are people demonstrating their "participation" go join some busybody religious organization so you can keep tabs on each other. Furthermore, not everyone (or probably nobody) relishes shit like setting up camps, pedaling some second-hand-bike, or even driving to the event, nor do those things make a person a "participant." Yes, people pay money for conveniences. WE ALL DO. Every camping implement you brought was designed expressly to make your outdoor stay more "plug-and-play." Those lag-bolts you drilled in? Plug-and-play. Generators? Plug-and-play (literally). So how do you even keep a straight face while making claims against PnP camps based on these arbitrary and superficial standards? Oh, someone manning the bar instead of a campmate? A bike the camp provided instead of a friend hauling it in? Wait, what really is the difference here? Yeah, not much difference, only it probably cost the person more (cry me a river).

So shut the fuck up with your hypocritical, wealth-resenting diatribes about plug-and-play camps and concentrate on burning the way you like to burn.

Do you even know what it means to "participate" or do you just spout of the term to make yourself feel superior? "Participation" at Burning Man is a personal quest of betterment. You should "participate" because it makes you feel good, not to fulfill a quota, and not to make others think better of you. Your mindset should be that you want and choose to participate, and that others who choose not to are simply missing out on that aspect of the burn, and that's their loss.

Yeah, that's right. Participating because you want to participate. That's it. No staring down your nose at the people you don't even know and ASSuming they're "tourists" or whatever lame label you parrot. You're only commodifying "participation" by treating it as some sort of quota to be fulfilled to be worthy of staying at the event. Let people "radically express" themselves how they want. If they want to burn the way you do, they will.

Holy shit, people transact money to attend Burning Man. Imagine that. What do you think camp dues are for? They pay for a service that certain, often "core" members, take care of. Not just gas money, but also time. Oh, and what do you think your camp "participation" labor is for? It's transacting your labor for being allowed to stay at the camp. Sacred Spaces explicitly charges more if you're unwilling to stick around and help with tear-down and clean up the place. Again, all this whining about PnP camps seems to really be about wealth-resentment, and I'd invite you all to evaluate what really bugs you about PnP camps besides your unfounded ASSumptions about individuals who would rather pay to not have to deal with camp shit. After all, why no hate against Burner Express people who paid to ride into the burn on a bus to a camp that was already set up by others? Or what about people paying for a ride-share which obviously benefits -- monetarily -- all involved? Or people paying to have grey-water pumped rather than evaporated? Or shipping containers delivered on-playa so you don't even need haul in shit again? Or people who pay $5/bag to dispose of trash? Or paying for water expressly set up for burners? Or people who rent RVs? Or what about those little kids or spouses/partners who aren't doing any camp setup? Where are the lame threads about those (this year)?

It's all about Wealth resentment. Get over it and you'll be happier for it.

Please stop attending the event if you keep holding onto such regressive views. You are the ones who don't "get it." It is obvious that your views are more in line with the default world, in particular, with the kind of self-righteous busybodies that attend churches just to gossip and feel more pious than their neighbors. We don't need that here. This is not a puritan event. People participate because they enjoy it, not to fulfill someone else's quota. If that's too much for you, get out. Get the fuck out.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 am

I agree except for the paragraph I highlighted in red, which I think you got totally wrong. They are not selling "us"; they are simply making it easier to enjoy the event.

/TLDR my own rant
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:34 am

You keep telling yourself that john...

Over and over like a mantra.

Hope that lets you sleep at night.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 am

So,

When DO you officially become a Moderator, btw?

Just curious.
Frida Be You & Me

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:16 am

The customers/participants build the event for mostly no charge to the organizers. I agree with Vulture Chow.

and
goathead wrote:We also have a walk in cooler to keep our beer cold, with a comfy chair in 2015 for my good friend Elorrum...
One can dream.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 am

I read some.....I don't care for the plug and play so I won't be partaking in that. Problem solved.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 am

BBadger wrote: You don't get gifting, radical inclusion, participation, or even for that matter decommodification.
Actually, I am not sure anyone involved in Burning Man (including the org and Larry Harvey) seems to understand commodification. Nor am I sure that Burning Man is really about decommodification or if the BMorg ever had a right to say it was about decommodification.

Commodification is a concept in marxist theory, and the dictionary definition is no different than the initial sociological jargon. That is a fact of the language whether or not you are a fan of marxist theory (I'm not). Commodification occurs when something that should not be owned or everyone has a right to in some sense becomes something to be bought and sold. Technically, decommodification is another piece of sociological jargon relating to the theory of the welfare state which is generally not in the common language. But I think one can be reasonable and interpret decommodification here to represent the undoing of commodification, or in some sense taking back something typically bought and sold to something understood in terms of non-commercial social relationships.

Obviously from the description of this jargon on the website, "We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience," the whole experience of Burning Man as an art festival is something to be experienced through non-commercial participation. One doesn't sell or buy the experience.

In any case this is what I found valuable about the event. It is much more fun to be a part of an event (can we just be honest and say festival?) where everyone is not trying to make a buck and we are all having fun being creative without regard for the commercial value of our product. Having been to several commercial festivals as well as Burning Man and several regionally inspired events, I can say that this genre of participatory festival is for me much more fun then commercial festivals, and more personally rewarding.

While I agree that the churchiness and ensuing vitriol is unhelpful, I think that BBadger's post is really mostly a strawman. This really isn't about wealth resentment at all, even though there has been considerable effort to try to frame it that way.

Really this is about vending, plain and simple. It is a very interesting loophole that certainly meets the letter of the BLM regulations to vend at Burning Man by insisting that all monetary exchanges take place before the event. That is what occurs. I can go to a commercial festival and buy a fancy drink or a yoga lesson. I can buy one at Burning Man, I just need to negotiate and pay for it in advance.

I don't see what is so great about a festival in which I have to buy all-inclusive things in advance. It would be better if I could get to the festival and buy what I wanted a-la-carte when I decided I would like it. I don't really see any value in this particular restriction.

Honestly, I think that the reality is that there has been a lot of vending at Burning Man for a very long time, but it has generally been very discrete, limited, or performed as pragmatically necessary. What it sounds like from all this outrage is that this discretion is slowly eroding, and the whole idea of no-vending or decommodification is sort of a joke or a sham.

--------------------------

Just as a fair disclosure, I am not really a "burner" anymore in a certain sense. I generally go to regional events which are not on the playa, because right now I have the time and resources to make art for those, being near the East coast. So I am perfectly happy with the people of Burning Man doing whatever they want with their festival.

However, as someone who is subject to the partial control of the Burning Man Project and Burning Man Regional Network, I find it annoying to be held to sham principles.

Return to “Philosophical Center”