Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Elderberry wrote: The conversation is getting boring and nothing said here will have any effect as o the outcome. That's the only reason I wish it would stop and people would use the link to make their voices heard where they might actually make a difference. I see now why you're lonesome. :shock: :wink: :D
Yet here you still are trying to make the point that there is nothing to see, honesty must not be one of the 10 vague Burning Man notions. If this conversation bores you why are you here? i now see why the Bmorg loves you.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote: The conversation is getting boring and nothing said here will have any effect as o the outcome. That's the only reason I wish it would stop and people would use the link to make their voices heard where they might actually make a difference. I see now why you're lonesome. :shock: :wink: :D
Yet here you still are trying to make the point that there is nothing to see, honesty must not be one of the 10 vague Burning Man notions. If this conversation bores you why are you here? i now see why the Bmorg loves you.
Oh bullshit. They love me because I'm such a wonderful person. If only you could see some of the lavish meetings and retreats I get invited to and you would surely know why. I haven't camped on the playa in a tent for years. We have hot running water, a great kitchen that serves meals as good as you get in any fancy restuarant. King size bed air conditioning. Why wouldn't I love BMORG?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote: The conversation is getting boring and nothing said here will have any effect as o the outcome. That's the only reason I wish it would stop and people would use the link to make their voices heard where they might actually make a difference. I see now why you're lonesome. :shock: :wink: :D
Yet here you still are trying to make the point that there is nothing to see, honesty must not be one of the 10 vague Burning Man notions. If this conversation bores you why are you here? i now see why the Bmorg loves you.
Oh bullshit. They love me because I'm such a wonderful person. If only you could see some of the lavish meetings and retreats I get invited to and you would surely know why. I haven't camped on the playa in a tent for years. We have hot running water, a great kitchen that serves meals as good as you get in any fancy restuarant. King size bed air conditioning. Why wouldn't I love BMORG?
That's great, I was worried that a person would debase themselves that way because they were a natural born serf. Thanks for replying here instead of another pm.
But, by the way, you did not answer. Why are you here, other than to be a troll, if this conversation bores you?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
That's great, I was worried that a person would debase themselves that way because they were a natural born serf. Thanks for replying here instead of another pm.
But, by the way, you did not answer. Why are you here, other than to be a troll, if this conversation bores you?
Oh, almost forgot. I get 25 free tickets every year too. They offered me 50, but since I couldn't use that many, I told them thanks, but no.:shock:
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:
That's great, I was worried that a person would debase themselves that way because they were a natural born serf. Thanks for replying here instead of another pm.
But, by the way, you did not answer. Why are you here, other than to be a troll, if this conversation bores you?
Oh, almost forgot. I get 25 free tickets every year too. They offered me 50, but since I couldn't use that many, I told them thanks, but no.:shock:
If this conversation bores you, other than being a troll, a very not-funny troll, why are you here? This is a serious question.
Why is a moderator trolling the threads?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:
That's great, I was worried that a person would debase themselves that way because they were a natural born serf. Thanks for replying here instead of another pm.
But, by the way, you did not answer. Why are you here, other than to be a troll, if this conversation bores you?
Oh, almost forgot. I get 25 free tickets every year too. They offered me 50, but since I couldn't use that many, I told them thanks, but no.:shock:
If this conversation bores you, other than being a troll, a very not-funny troll, why are you here? This is a serious question.
Why is a moderator trolling the threads?
I think I'm getting a man crush on you bri. Thats the only thing keeping me here. And please, don't think anything I am saying in this conversation is in any official capacity. Just speaking my mind.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:Whatever the authorities at BRC do (and we have witnessed it here), I'll keep plugging away.
Can you give me a specific example? Otherwise, I call bull shit on that. (in my unofficial capacity as a regular user of the board)
The Plug and Plays being set up by Bmorg members, the composition of the Burning Man Project, the moop map, Sherpa girl, the recent addition of a Bmorg compliant moderator, etc. which came out as info right on these boards if you paid any attention to those things instead of being bored and laying out your lame insults calling me a woman and a child.
I call your bullshit and raise you. Have you learned nothing? The worst type of ignorance, self imposed.
I answered you. I gave you that respect. Even with your constant trolling. I am not a troll. Now you can answer me. Why do you troll the threads that question the Bmorg or any commercialization of the playa? You can answer once more with some lame "humor", if that's all you got. Any serious answer to why you are trolling here?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Back to the topic of this thread, hopefully the moderator/troll will find some other boring interest to pursue-
some seeing eye wrote:I realize I am throwing red meat to wolves = bacon to burners. But I hope some serious useful ideas might come from this. If not, whatever.

After some discussion, the BMORG could engage the PnPs in a discussion that would result in rules which would be mandatory in placement, early entry and directed sales for 2015 and beyond and binding on regionals.

Sure the burner brain trust on ePlaya can add specific best practices, ethics, banning criteria to some ideas below.

1. Best practices:

Max camp size, working (not consulting) staff to camper ratio, individual and group transportation, street frontage, costuming, moop, camper debriefing, photography/media/social media, ...

2. Code of ethics:

Camper solicitation advertising, camper orientation, staff pay and benefits, compliance with law, conflict resolution, photography/media/social media, dismissing employees mid event, ...

3. Banned and your people banned if you:

?



To start, camp staff.

Sherpas in Nepal are paid better than sherpas at Burningman. Proving once again that the US is becoming a Third World country. Many businesses in the US reduce their labor costs by exploiting the sub-economy. Perhaps the camp manager thought that was normal?

The median income ratio between the US and Nepal is about 49x. Higher multiplier for California median income.

You can do the math, but paying BM sherpas at Nepal Sherpas rates ($500/week) corrected by the median income ratio between the US and Nepal would raise the pay of BM sherpas significantly!

The work should be paid like consulting or film crew work with extreme condition multipliers due to experience, safety, dust and the lack of medical coverage. (Maybe employer medical+evac coverage should be mandatory for sherpas?)

The ratio of BM Sherpas to camper should be raised from less than .5 to 2 with adequate time off, flexible scheduling and a 10 hour shift per day. A PnP with 240 sherpas and 120 paid campers would take on an entirely different dynamic if the sherpas were experienced costumey burners. The philosophy should shift from in-camp servants to out of camp exploration-experience partners.

Let's say we pay sherpas $4000 a week for 7x10 hours. Add say $1000 for medical, taxes, BLM, etc. per sherpa. That would raise the labor cost of the cited PnP by about $8000 per camper. That would still be 1/6 the rate paid to Sherpas in Nepal, (did we say that the US is becoming a Third World country?)
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
I answered you. I gave you that respect. Even with your constant trolling. I am not a troll. Now you can answer me. Why do you troll the threads that question the Bmorg or any commercialization of the playa? You can answer once more with some lame "humor", if that's all you got. Any serious answer to why you are trolling here?
I have answered that question for you both in this forum publicly and in a PM which you stubbornly refuse to open, yet you don't want to accept or just don't like my answer. So, I've given up taking anything you say seriously anymore. If you consider that trolling, so be it. Others might think you are the troll.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote: ...you stubbornly refuse to open, yet you don't want to accept or just don't like my answer. So, I've given up taking anything you say seriously anymore. If you consider that trolling, so be it. Others might think you are the troll.
Sorry you got your panties in a bunch over me not reading your love letter to me (a joke off of Elderberry saying I needed Midol, 'cause, you know, women are so temperamental). I take what you say seriously. I guess that is the difference between a troll and an actual participant in the conversation.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Here is Elderberry's private message to me. haven't read it yet, just copy and paste, I'll post it here for all our edification. Cheers.

Elderberry writes-
I don't want this to sound too nasty, but this needs to be addressed. I think the most annoying thing about your posts is your paranoid delusions about the BMORG or the moderators here and you probably think Obama is a Muslim.

I have have been approached three times and asked if I wanted to help moderating the board. Each time I said no because I didn't want to be put in an official position and the have to worry about what I say on the board. In lieu of moderating this board, I did help the, with moderating the spark board when they launched it. (Just so everything is clear). This year when they asked, they promised that I could pretty much speak my mind as long as I made it clear I wasn't speaking in an official capacity.

Interestingly enough, when I added that disclaimer to a post you mocked it. But just speaking man to man and not in any official capacity, no one has told me or any other moderator to tamp down or stifle any of the conversations about PnP or any other topic here on eplaya. I would have said the same exact things I said today three weeks ago befor becoming a moderator.

So, if you don't like what I'm saying, or any of the other mods or anybody else here for that matter, that's totally fine. You have that prerogative. But if you think any of us are responding to your posts, or any other posts, based on instructions we have gotten from on high, that's seriously paranoid and delusional. And frankly, in my opinion, causing you to think and reply irrationally in some of your posts because you think you are being stifled by the powers that be.

Anyway, take from this what you will. I have no hard feelings or animosity toward you. You actually make some good points. I just think you get on the defensive more because you are thinking you're battling the man; and I sincerely hope you can take my word on this--you are not. Just little 'ole me. :wink:

Lonesomebri wrote:

Elderberry wrote:Being a rabble-rouser isn't a skill.

Any two year old knows how to throw tantrums and make a lot of noise.

Not much good comes from either.



We all can't agree with the moderators on every subject like the intellectuals do here. And yeah, being a rabble rouser is a skill. Look how it gets the goat of the road-blocks. Carry on.


As always, if you don't see a problem, you might be part of it.

I don't have a solution, nor claim to have one. I do claim there is a problem, so I am way ahead of others on this matter. how about the smart guys come up with solutions. That ain't my skill, neither is saying "welcome to eplaya" until i get a pat on the back.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Elderberry wrote-
your posts is your paranoid delusions about the BMORG or the moderators here and you probably think Obama is a Muslim.
I call bullshit on you. Can you give me anywhere I implied anything like this? And you call me paranoid and delusional because the Bmorg members set up a hotel out on 9 and L and you defend it, yet claim whatever it is the hell you are claiming here. Carry on.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote: ...you stubbornly refuse to open, yet you don't want to accept or just don't like my answer. So, I've given up taking anything you say seriously anymore. If you consider that trolling, so be it. Others might think you are the troll.
Sorry you got your panties in a bunch over me not reading your love letter to me. I take what you say seriously. I guess that is the difference between a troll and an actual participant in the conversation.
If we are discussing something important, I am always serious; but everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. When I was replying seriously to your comments I was accused of being a shill for management. So, that sort of puts me between a rock and a hard place here. I shoot you a line of bull and I'm a troll. I reply seriously and I'm in bed with BMORG.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

kiboy
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm
Burning Since: 2000
Location: Underbelly (southern Oregon)

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by kiboy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Well I don't know all the history around here but I guess some of it ain't pretty. Duh!

But since you feel it's ok to post PMs in open forum to give credence to your POV I'll address what I see here.
That PM seems pretty straight forward and seems to be evidence of a willingness to communicate and work towards some kind of a resolution. Something I'm starting suspect you might not want under any circumstances.

If you have hard proof of what you say about the Moderation here being in the pocket of the Borg then present it.
Just because someone agrees with some of the BORGs positions does not mean they are in their pocket. I think it was a good decision to get the guns out of BM, does that mean I'm now a shill for them when I post here? So if you got the evidence I want to see it and then I'm going to be in your corner here . Otherwise it sounds like sour grapes to me.

Don't believe everything you think.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Bri--
Well it's not a mod-to-user pm, so you can toss it and I can not worry that you somehow triggered a trip wire that gonna get you thrown off the board.

Elderberry--
You're a mod now. This is going in circles. You and Bri don't respect each other, and it's only going to get uglier. I don't know how to apportion responsibility in this mess, although I'm sure it's not 100% on either side. However, because you are a mod, I think you have to step down. Your position of responsibility means that on some level the two of you are mismatched, with more power in your corner. I'm sorry it comes to this...

Shit...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kiboy
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm
Burning Since: 2000
Location: Underbelly (southern Oregon)

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by kiboy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Mismatched? How so? As long as everyone behaves Mods should have no power to do harm. I really don't think just because you're a moderator someone should be able to take pot shots at you. Unless that's in the contract and who would sign up for that?

Don't believe everything you think.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Bri--
Well it's not a mod-to-user pm, so you can toss it and I can not worry that you somehow triggered a trip wire that gonna get you thrown off the board.

Elderberry--
You're a mod now. This is going in circles. You and Bri don't respect each other, and it's only going to get uglier. I don't know how to apportion responsibility in this mess, although I'm sure it's not 100% on either side. However, because you are a mod, I think you have to step down. Your position of responsibility means that on some level the two of you are mismatched, with more power in your corner. I'm sorry it comes to this...

Shit...
Fishy, anyone worth their salt would have never shared a PM. There was nothing in that PM that I would not have said publicly, I was just trying to address the situation in private out of respect to everybody.

The last paragraph in that PM was:

Anyway, take from this what you will. I have no hard feelings or animosity toward you. You actually make some good points. I just think you get on the defensive more because you are thinking you're battling the man; and I sincerely hope you can take my word on this--you are not. Just little 'ole me

I think I did my part at making amends. (You've read my posts before I became 'official' so you should know I'm playing nice(r).)
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 pm

I've shared unsolicited pms here.
I understand the logic behind the taboo, but it does mean that a bully, or worse, can get away with a lot if you're not willing to break that.
Do I think you're a bully? No.
There's a whole lot more I might say, but it boils down to I think you should walk away to defuse the situation.


Just as a side question--where we you (all of you, not just JK) in birth order?

If you had older sibs, what was the level of cruelty towards you?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I was first born. Immediately took the place of my grandmother's son who was killed in WW2, and spoiled rotten from the get go. I have two twin sisters. What ever possessed you to ask? :)

Oh, and I like (expect) to win. But in this case, I will take your advice and be the better person and walk away.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

kiboy
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm
Burning Since: 2000
Location: Underbelly (southern Oregon)

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by kiboy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:27 am

That doesn't make you the better person. Image

Maybe more prudent though. Image

Don't believe everything you think.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am

kiboy wrote:That doesn't make you the better person. Image

Maybe more prudent though. Image
Semantics? Expediency? Sincerity? People will believe what they want to believe.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Zhust
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:46 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Zhust » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:07 am

One thing I've noticed about the BMORG is that they have always treated Burning Man as an event that is ever-changing. And in doing so, they risk alienating people who think they Burn correctly. To be blunt, there's no such thing as "Burning correctly"—in theory the best you can do on that front is to perfectly mesh with the zeitgeist of that year's burn. (To be pedantic about it, you can only have "Burned correctly" as your behavior cannot be compared to an event that hasn't happened yet.)

Population growth drives a lot of it—vehicle speed limits, no guns, and designated camping/no-camping areas, for instance, follow the trend from an extremely sparsely-populated event to a temporary city in the desert. Government rules drive a lot of it too with the bans on MOOPy stuff, food-handling rules, or ticket shortages.

Yet there have not been rules about spectating and non-participation, most likely due to the high percentage of new people each year (if I recall correctly, around 40% or so are first-timers). But I'm sure the question of deliberate non-participation is being debated with as much attention as had been given to the creation or non-creation of all the past rules.

The people in charge are not perfect for sure, but they're the ones who MUST make the hard choices. And hard choices mean some group of people is going to be disadvantaged or feel disenfranchised. But in all that, the BMORG are not saints. Nobody is above corruption; the question is how badly the corruption affects the populace. I have no doubt the members of the BMORG enjoy privileges that the average ticket-buying participant does not. At the simplest level, many people voluntarily treat the leaders (and the artists and makers) very well. At a more questionable level, I'm sure the leaders of major camps and projects visit with the BMORG leadership—and their first reason for doing that is to grease the wheels to get their interests heard.

For the ultra-rich, all I can add is FUD. I'd like to have my fears assuaged in the form of some transparency—did Plug-and-Plays-R-Us pop in with a suitcase full of cash?
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:18 am

The only reason I posted a pm is because it was from a moderator, and I knew it had to do with public debate, not a personal message to me. The only reason.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:The only reason I posted a pm is because it was from a moderator, and I knew it had to do with public debate, not a personal message to me. The only reason.
Ya, right.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Elderberry wrote:...Oh, and I like (expect) to win. But in this case, I will take your advice and be the better person and walk away.
Ummm....this may not register with you at all, but if you are going to take self-credit for being the better person, have you ever considered actually following thru with it? Like, walk the walk, instead of just talk?
When is the walk away you claim to be doing going to start? Ha, what a joke. You are the better person, because look at me, not even claiming to be that...
Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:The only reason I posted a pm is because it was from a moderator, and I knew it had to do with public debate, not a personal message to me. The only reason.
Ya, right.

I have never posted private messages before, but your insinuations are more believable than reality. You have a public forum here to say what you want, same with me. I get private messages and that's great, they are between me and whoever. But I really did not care what you had to say in private versus public to me. How do I shut that down? All I could think about doing is deleting the message without reading it, but then you called me out for being stubborn and not reading the message. Anyway, there is 100 old messages in my box right now, how many have I not given a shit about and made public?
Last edited by Lonesomebri on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:31 pm

A good read-
http://burners.me/2014/10/05/social-alc ... enanigans/
some seeing eye wrote:I realize I am throwing red meat to wolves = bacon to burners. But I hope some serious useful ideas might come from this. If not, whatever.

After some discussion, the BMORG could engage the PnPs in a discussion that would result in rules which would be mandatory in placement, early entry and directed sales for 2015 and beyond and binding on regionals.

Sure the burner brain trust on ePlaya can add specific best practices, ethics, banning criteria to some ideas below.

1. Best practices:

Max camp size, working (not consulting) staff to camper ratio, individual and group transportation, street frontage, costuming, moop, camper debriefing, photography/media/social media, ...

2. Code of ethics:

Camper solicitation advertising, camper orientation, staff pay and benefits, compliance with law, conflict resolution, photography/media/social media, dismissing employees mid event, ...

3. Banned and your people banned if you:

?



To start, camp staff.

Sherpas in Nepal are paid better than sherpas at Burningman. Proving once again that the US is becoming a Third World country. Many businesses in the US reduce their labor costs by exploiting the sub-economy. Perhaps the camp manager thought that was normal?

The median income ratio between the US and Nepal is about 49x. Higher multiplier for California median income.

You can do the math, but paying BM sherpas at Nepal Sherpas rates ($500/week) corrected by the median income ratio between the US and Nepal would raise the pay of BM sherpas significantly!

The work should be paid like consulting or film crew work with extreme condition multipliers due to experience, safety, dust and the lack of medical coverage. (Maybe employer medical+evac coverage should be mandatory for sherpas?)

The ratio of BM Sherpas to camper should be raised from less than .5 to 2 with adequate time off, flexible scheduling and a 10 hour shift per day. A PnP with 240 sherpas and 120 paid campers would take on an entirely different dynamic if the sherpas were experienced costumey burners. The philosophy should shift from in-camp servants to out of camp exploration-experience partners.

Let's say we pay sherpas $4000 a week for 7x10 hours. Add say $1000 for medical, taxes, BLM, etc. per sherpa. That would raise the labor cost of the cited PnP by about $8000 per camper. That would still be 1/6 the rate paid to Sherpas in Nepal, (did we say that the US is becoming a Third World country?)
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Elderberry wrote:...Oh, and I like (expect) to win. But in this case, I will take your advice and be the better person and walk away.
Ummm....this may not register with you at all, but if you are going to take self-credit for being the better person, have you ever considered actually following thru with it? Like, walk the walk, instead of just talk?
When is the walk away you claim to be doing going to start? Ha, what a joke. You are the better person, because look at me, not even claiming to be that...
Elderberry wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:The only reason I posted a pm is because it was from a moderator, and I knew it had to do with public debate, not a personal message to me. The only reason.
Ya, right.

I have never posted private messages before, but your insinuations are more believable than reality. You have a public forum here to say what you want, same with me. I get private messages and that's great, they are between me and whoever. But I really did not care what you had to say in private versus public to me. How do I shut that down? All I could think about doing is deleting the message without reading it, but then you called me out for being stubborn and not reading the message. Anyway, there is 100 old messages in my box right now, how many have I not given a shit about and made public?
Now that it is public, maybe you can explain what was moderatorly about it? Because I sent that to you as JK the person, not JK the moderator. True colors are showing there Bri. Post the second PM I sent to you too why don't you?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Elderberry wrote:...Now that it is public, maybe you can explain what was moderatorly about it? Because I sent that to you as JK the person, not JK the moderator. True colors are showing there Bri. Post the second PM I sent to you too why don't you?
Wait a minute, I post your message to me in public and that is wrong to do, but now you challenge me to post the next message publicly? Which is it? Posting publicly or not? What action is the correct one for me to take according to you? I deleted that second message without reading it because as I explained, I don't care what you say to me in private because you have a public forum here that you (ab)use, I don't want you in my private life. I had hoped posting your previous message to me would show you that you might as well post it publicly, because, as explained, you make your point publicly and I don't care what you have to say to me privately. Can I make that stop? These "true colors" of mine that I keep revealing, what shade was I before the big revelation?

Why claim to be a better man by walking away when you simply cannot do that? Sure, to tell others that you are the better man is totally chill, but isn't there something more that goes into the claim?
Like the freaking walking away part, like the being true to your word issue here?
Self-awareness, think about it.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:36 pm

This has devolved into a mutual dance of the most stupid variety...


And, of course, I'm running some sort of inane play-by-play of it...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20222
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Re: Toward a PnP Code of Ethics and Best Practices

Post by AntiM » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:40 pm

It isn't even interesting thread drift.

Post Reply

Return to “Philosophical Center”