How to tell if your doing it WRONG.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
goathead
Burning Since: 1999

How to tell if your doing it WRONG.

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:07 am

If you need to pay someone to cook for you.

goathead

Re: How to tell if your doing it WRONG.

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:08 am

If you need an employee to pick up your moop for you.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 am

If you pay a model to be your "mistress of merriment", kind of skirting the laws on human trafficking here a little don't you think?

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 am

If you fly in and expect the airport greeters to haul your luggage to your camp for you.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 am

If you ran out of food and water but not booze.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:31 am

Ratty wrote:If you ran out of food and water but not booze.
i wouldn't call that doing it wrong. but then i am British - notice how the navy never ran out of rum?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

delle

Post by delle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:11 am

If you don't go at all.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:14 am

not an option for me, I live here. snicker

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:05 am

goathead wrote:not an option for me, I live here. snicker
This is me being envious. What are the winters like?

Don't believe everything you think.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 am

wet and muddy, sometimes really fucking cold, boring.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 am

We went out to the playa once in winter. Windy as fuck, like ice in the bones. We drove a short distance out, when we got out of the vehicle, the playa felt slightly bouncy under our feet. Good sign not to drive in any farther.
MVC-020S.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 am

goathead wrote:wet and muddy, sometimes really fucking cold, boring.
That's why I live in Southern Oregon instead of Eastern Oregon where my heart lies most of the year. I'm from Michigan so I know cold but those desert frigid winds get so cold you'd like to just spend the winter in the hot spring. And yeah boring. What's the best time of year to hike out around the Playa, Early June? Oct?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 am

Wrong, when you waste time demanding new rules.. The Bmorg has two( mind you two) deft ears.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 am

Principles are probably a waste of time too. What were they thinking.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 am

It was a trick question... if you can read this you're doing it wrong.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 am

If your making excuses for the bmorg when shady shit happens, here's your sign.

:twisted:

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 am

Nah, I'm poking fun at the guy playing lynch mob and pointing out the obvious.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 am

thats ok, I know the game, it isn't my first shit storm.

why do you think i take pride in being a fucko, snicker

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 am

Not mine, either. The fuckos were better last year.

I think Burning Man's doing things wrong, too, but think trying to dictate how someone can burn is both impossible and destroys a big chunk of what makes Burning Man special.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am

If-
"My business is to comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted."
You are doing life wrong.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 am

I've been doing it wrong for years, as my wife keeps reminding me.
I like eggs.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:59 am

Is anyone else chuckling at a thread about being wrong having a glaring grammatical error in it's title?

Also my boyfriend cooked for me and cleaned up nearly every meal was I doing it wrong?

How about if I tell you it was because putting the cooked food in front of me was the only way he could stop me MOOPing the camp or setting things up in the sun when I clearly needed rest etc. Still doing it wrong?

What about the camp a respected member of this board stayed with where he was verball abused (playfully I'm assuming, but still) by another camp mate because he wouldn't let her feed him. Was his campmate doing it wrong trying to give that gift?

While I'm on board with the "paid employees who don't get to participate using tickets that are then not available to real participants is bad" and "not having to think about and plan for your survival in any real way means you're missing a large junk of the experience" type arguments I think trying to define the "wrong" way of doing things is a bad idea. Riding a seqway definitely makes you look like a knob but I don't think it's entirely safe to assume anyone on a segway is doing everything else wrong. I think it takes a bunch of things being done in less than ideal ways for a camp to be "doing it wrong" but it's a nebulous and undefinable combination of some of the things mentioned in this thread and others that amounts to wrongness and trying to define that is a waste of time because each camp needed to be evaluated individually.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is terrible as plug and plays may or may not be trying to distil their wrongness down to easily detectable signs is going to backfire and you're going to end up with a salt of the earth "true burner" on the end of your pitchfork just because they are a terrible cook or have a disability or they couldn't get enough time off work. And that will be awkward.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

When you reply to goathead with more than 3 sentences........
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:When you reply to goathead with more than 3 sentences........
:lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Jovankat wrote:Is anyone else chuckling at a thread about being wrong having a glaring grammatical error in it's title?

Also my boyfriend cooked for me and cleaned up nearly every meal was I doing it wrong?

How about if I tell you it was because putting the cooked food in front of me was the only way he could stop me MOOPing the camp or setting things up in the sun when I clearly needed rest etc. Still doing it wrong?

What about the camp a respected member of this board stayed with where he was verball abused (playfully I'm assuming, but still) by another camp mate because he wouldn't let her feed him. Was his campmate doing it wrong trying to give that gift?

While I'm on board with the "paid employees who don't get to participate using tickets that are then not available to real participants is bad" and "not having to think about and plan for your survival in any real way means you're missing a large junk of the experience" type arguments I think trying to define the "wrong" way of doing things is a bad idea. Riding a seqway definitely makes you look like a knob but I don't think it's entirely safe to assume anyone on a segway is doing everything else wrong. I think it takes a bunch of things being done in less than ideal ways for a camp to be "doing it wrong" but it's a nebulous and undefinable combination of some of the things mentioned in this thread and others that amounts to wrongness and trying to define that is a waste of time because each camp needed to be evaluated individually.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is terrible as plug and plays may or may not be trying to distil their wrongness down to easily detectable signs is going to backfire and you're going to end up with a salt of the earth "true burner" on the end of your pitchfork just because they are a terrible cook or have a disability or they couldn't get enough time off work. And that will be awkward.
hello jovankat, glad to meet you. are you a teacher? because me and the fucking english language have never got along. over the course of many, many, many years i have had many try to correct what ever fucking error in english i have made, i doubt your going to suckeed. anyway if you are unable to tell the difference between your boyfriend and a paid boy toy well? yes you might be doing it wrong. FYI, i can snark hard, but i never carry a grudge. shall we play?

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:Not mine, either. The fuckos were better last year.

I think Burning Man's doing things wrong, too, but think trying to dictate how someone can burn is both impossible and destroys a big chunk of what makes Burning Man special.
LMFAO, we have been told how to burn long before you got here. fuck, it was on fire before i started. and guess what, it STILL hasn't destroyed the burn.

Lol, yep, rich people having to take care of themselves is going to destroy the burn, or will they finally become one of us?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm

goathead wrote:
Jovankat wrote:Is anyone else chuckling at a thread about being wrong having a glaring grammatical error in it's title?

hello jovankat, glad to meet you. are you a teacher? because me and the fucking english language have never got along. over the course of many, many, many years i have had many try to correct what ever fucking error in english i have made, i doubt your going to suckeed. anyway if you are unable to tell the difference between your boyfriend and a paid boy toy well? yes you might be doing it wrong. FYI, i can snark hard, but i never carry a grudge. shall we play?

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Doctor VonBacon wrote:I've been doing it wrong for years, as my wife keeps reminding me.
fuck, i am not even a burner, just a dusty goat.

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

trilobyte wrote:I think Burning Man's doing things wrong, too, but think trying to dictate how someone can burn is both impossible and destroys a big chunk of what makes Burning Man special.
Ok.

I mean, I can't disagree with that in some sense, but if there are no basic parameters then there is no need for principles, or philosophy, or education, and nothing for the Burning Man Project to do.

If I take a piss on the ground, I am doing it wrong. If I sneak in my dog, I am doing it wrong. If I bring a gun, I am doing it wrong. If Phillip Morris gave me a cowboy costume and 100 carton of cigarettes to hand out from the Marlboro car, and I do that, then I am doing it wrong. (actually I am not sure about that last one anymore)

You can't have your cake and eat it too with this. Either it is permissible to have a social environment mediated by commercial transactions, or it isn't.

Hiring a person cook for you because you are paying them to do it is not compatible with the principle of "decommodification" as written.

If this is not "doing it wrong" then remove or revise the principle.

Having a "Burning Man Project" whose aim is to educate us all (and I mean all of us - not just you guys at the Gerlach regional) on this principle of decommodification, and then (if true) having the guiding visionaries of this project hire people to cook for them at a burn is completely absurd.

Hell, this might really be much better off if we all really did scrap the principles, and wrote up a more pragmatic covenant (which could be different for Burning Man and other regional burns) of what the basic parameters or rules of the experiment were, and then you could really hold up "don't tell me how to burn" as the closest thing you have to a principle. In that case, people could really make the event whatever they wanted it to be for them, and nobody would be putting a face on the man. Then there would be no philosophy, no Burning Man Project, no movement to try to transform society with. It would just be what it is for the week that it is there, and everyone would take from it what they will.

In any case, you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are three options:

1) Keep decommodification as a principle as is, and get rid of vendors (or at the very least limit them to deliveries and people quickly entering and leaving in special cases).

2) Drop or revise the decommodification principle, and let people hire bartenders.

3) Deal with people getting pissed off or at least mocking the obvious dishonesty of the whole enterprise.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 pm

ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:

pass it over yg, this could be entertaining. :D

Return to “Philosophical Center”