2013 Operating Plan

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Bless
Burning Since: 2012

2013 Operating Plan

Postby Bless » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:29 am

Looks like some pesky government-transparency advocate went and FOIA'd the org's 2013 Operating Plan. Makes me wonder what else at BLM can be FOIA'd :D

Enjoy: http://www.governmentattic.org/12docs/B ... n_2013.pdf
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 2013 Operating Plan

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:36 am

I thought BMORG made it available for public consumption anyway?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:37 am

It's crazy to think about them evicting someone from the event. How would the org ensure that person has their wallet and ID and won't get stranded in Gerlach or Reno? Quite a scary thing to consider, especially if someone is under the influence.

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 am

I'm assuming you got that from the plan? There's a special team that handles evictions.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:43 am

Elderberry wrote:I'm assuming you got that from the plan? There's a special team that handles evictions.

this is true.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 am

Elderberry wrote:I'm assuming you got that from the plan? There's a special team that handles evictions.

Yeah, I'm just curious how it works in practice. I wonder how many folks are evicted each year. What are the standards for eviction? Would any of the bad PnP behavior we're reading about qualify for eviction?

Not trying to be provocative or a vigilante, just curious.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:00 am

Good Morning. It could be worse. Cruise ships toss their employees out wherever they happen to be. Offenses for being ejected are littering over the side, bringing guests into your quarters and taking cash for a purchase. Just sayin.......
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:02 am

The Operating Plan has never been public.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:45 am

some seeing eye wrote:The Operating Plan has never been public.

Really? I could swear that years ago, when I was more interested, I recall reading it. Is that part of the permitting process? If so, I'm sure it was online.
JK

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 am

The special permit and the environmental impact statement are public.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:12 am

Just finished skimming through over a break. Nothing really interesting. They estimate that an average of 650~ cars per hour leave during exodus... And that's about the most interesting thing I've seen!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:58 am

So it is controversial that someone might be evicted from a paid event? Seriously, as if no infraction could violate the feebs notion of "radical inclusion"... Hilarious. The real world, away from the DJ booth, must be a pretty harsh concept to grasp. I blame the noise levels at the soundcamps for pulverizing what logic and sense the ravers might otherwise have.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm

some seeing eye wrote:The special permit and the environmental impact statement are public.

Maybe that's what I'm remembering? Well, it looks like it's public info now.
JK

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:So it is controversial that someone might be evicted from a paid event? Seriously, as if no infraction could violate the feebs notion of "radical inclusion"... Hilarious. The real world, away from the DJ booth, must be a pretty harsh concept to grasp. I blame the noise levels at the soundcamps for pulverizing what logic and sense the ravers might otherwise have.

I think your brain has been pulverized from writing so many acerbic, knee-jerk reactions to what others say.

I also think it is fair to observe that this event, being in the middle of the desert and requiring folks to provide their own food and water, may need special protocols for ejecting someone. Given that they may not have an ID or wallet or food or water or personal belongings with them when they get ejected. Also, considering the high numbers of foreigners that attend the event. For instance, I know the State Dept. sends representatives to the event to help foreigners navigate legal issues when they get in trouble.

I was curious to learn more about said protocols. And indeed, someone pointed out that there is a special ejection team, ostensibly, for such purposes.

I'm not saying it's controversial or wrong. Just interesting to think about.

Please carry on with your asinine assumptions.

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Bless wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:
I think your brain has been pulverized from writing so many acerbic, knee-jerk reactions to what others say.

Hahahaha. Best line I've read on eplaya in a long time. If I had any more room, it would be in my signature.
JK

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Bless wrote:It's crazy to think about them evicting someone from the event.

No, no it is not.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Bless wrote:Would any of the bad PnP behavior we're reading about qualify for eviction?

My guess would be no.
JK

Nipple

Postby Nipple » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:16 pm

2011's operating plan has been up on the web for a while.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/wfo/blm_ ... print.html

(Find on page for "Operating")

It's pretty much the same document.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks, N

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Bless wrote:[
I also think it is fair to observe that this event, being in the middle of the desert and requiring folks to provide their own food and water, may need special protocols for ejecting someone. Given that they may not have an ID or wallet or food or water or personal belongings with them when they get ejected. Also, considering the high numbers of foreigners that attend the event. For instance, I know the State Dept. sends representatives to the event to help foreigners navigate legal issues when they get in trouble.

I was curious to learn more about said protocols. And indeed, someone pointed out that there is a special ejection team, ostensibly, for such purposes.

FWIW in 2013 I was taken to hospital in Reno, before I left two LEOs went to my camp to get my passport, wallet and phone. My request for a clean pair of underwear was denied. I was discharged from the hospital 12 hours later having been given no paperwork or information about how to get back into the event or is I even could get back in. When I asked the hospital how I was expected to manage as a foreigner with everyone I knew in the country uncontactable at the event, no cell service since I hadn't gotten a US SIM and frankly pretty bloody freaked out I was told "You're an adult, you work it out" that's what the hospital had been told to tell anyone who came in from BRC. So if that's the amount of concern they have for their participants who suffer a medical emergency I imagine the way evictees are treated is not super pleasant but I guess YMMV

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Jovankat wrote:

FWIW in 2013 I was taken to hospital in Reno, before I left two LEOs went to my camp to get my passport, wallet and phone. My request for a clean pair of underwear was denied. I was discharged from the hospital 12 hours later having been given no paperwork or information about how to get back into the event or is I even could get back in. When I asked the hospital how I was expected to manage as a foreigner with everyone I knew in the country uncontactable at the event, no cell service since I hadn't gotten a US SIM and frankly pretty bloody freaked out I was told "You're an adult, you work it out" that's what the hospital had been told to tell anyone who came in from BRC. So if that's the amount of concern they have for their participants who suffer a medical emergency I imagine the way evictees are treated is not super pleasant but I guess YMMV

well Jovan, there are protocols and such, that a person can get back in the event, if taken out. But, there is no service from Reno to BRC.
Depending on your condition, and or the emergent nature of your transport,You, or a representative, probably received some sort of document or wrist band or other credential, to return, from EMS or one of the depts. handling your medical situation.

These things can get lost or misplaced in all the hub-bub.
The Hospital was probably referring to you getting from Reno to BRC.

Evictee treatment has protocols, but is also subjective, as relates to infraction and attitude.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 pm

ygmir wrote:Depending on your condition, and or the emergent nature of your transport,You, or a representative, probably received some sort of document or wrist band or other credential, to return, from EMS or one of the depts. handling your medical situation.

Nope, not even a little bit. It wasn't an emergency and I was lucid and and remember everything clearly, I've heard there is supposed to be paperwork but there wasn't. I'm sure there are procedures but it felt very much like they failed in my case. There were actually a bunch of things wrong with the situation, the Rangers who helped me get back in told me my story was fucked and I should file a complaint but I didn't because I just wanted to put it behind me.

But anyway after that experience, it just doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't exactly coddle people they are kicking out.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:17 am

A complaint would be good just to try and assure that procedures are followed for others, or procedures will be drawn up if they didn't exist in the first place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:03 am

Jovankat wrote:FWIW in 2013 I was taken to hospital in Reno, before I left two LEOs went to my camp to get my passport, wallet and phone. My request for a clean pair of underwear was denied. I was discharged from the hospital 12 hours later having been given no paperwork or information about how to get back into the event or is I even could get back in. When I asked the hospital how I was expected to manage as a foreigner with everyone I knew in the country uncontactable at the event, no cell service since I hadn't gotten a US SIM and frankly pretty bloody freaked out I was told "You're an adult, you work it out" that's what the hospital had been told to tell anyone who came in from BRC. So if that's the amount of concern they have for their participants who suffer a medical emergency I imagine the way evictees are treated is not super pleasant but I guess YMMV

Somehow I don't think your experience being medivaced out is totally unheard of. It seems I remember another discussion on not only the expense, but the difficulty getting back to the playa. On the plus side though, at least you could speak English.
JK

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Jovankat wrote:

Patients we send to the hospital, whether by Air, ground or personally owned vehicle are given all sorts of information to getting back in. If you go by ambulance for example, a returning ambulance from the hospital to the event can bring you back in as a courtesy. I am sorry if your experience was different. As far as being evicted, I have seen the sheriff more than once take a person to a camp, allow them to pack up all of their stuff and then boot them.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:40 am

mdmf007 wrote:Patients we send to the hospital, whether by Air, ground or personally owned vehicle are given all sorts of information to getting back in. If you go by ambulance for example, a returning ambulance from the hospital to the event can bring you back in as a courtesy

Nope, that was not even remotely close to my experience. And that wasn't even the only thing that was hugely problematic about how the whole thing went down. I really wish I'd gotten my butt into gear in time to submit feedback for that year but the situation wasn't really something I wanted to revisit.

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:32 am

Jovankat, what did you finally figure out?

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:11 am

I got a cab to the hotel my friends and I had a post burn reservation for because it was the only place I could think of going. I had a shower and used the toilet (which was close to being the highlight of the whole debacle) and I slept. Then once I felt like I'd gotten my shit together I came here and asked for help. Canoe suggested I head to the airport and talk to the airport greeters about a rideshare. So I did that, luckily it was walking distance from the hotel, and before long I had a ride with some weekenders from New York. Once I got onto gate road I walked over to Will Call and had a chat with the Supervisor, told him my story which he then passed on to the gate supervisor and I was let back in.

Then once I was in the city I was helped by a ranger who saw me struggling to fix a broken yellow bike since. When I explained my previous ~30 hours, that I was on the opposite side of the city to my camp and didn't have any light or warm clothes he flagged down two more rangers in a golf cart and they gave me a lift home. Riding across the inner playa that night with all the lights in the back of that golf cart was fucking magical.

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:47 am

Happily, it always works out. I'm glad it did for you on this one. :D

Return to “Philosophical Center”