Beginning of the end?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Beginning of the end?

Post by Leo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 pm

For Burning Man 2014, the high end PnP camps made headlines, Grover Norquist attended, and Katie Couric covered the event on Yahoo News. Is this the beginning of the end of Burning Man as we know it?
"No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Yogi Berra
Best Regards,
Leo

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Beginning of the end?

Post by jneilvindy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Or the end of the beginning?

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:20 pm

It is changing, the very nature of reality. And some of the changes can be looked at as favorable, others as not so good. The best you can do is try to work for the parts you think need saving, maybe push back against the changes you think are "ending" it, but it will change regardless.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:30 pm

As Lonesomebri said, it changes every year, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. What constitutes better or worse is often up for debate. Every year there's speculation that it's the beginning of the end, or that the event is going to become something radically different than what we know and love, or whatever. But at the end of the day, it's still what you make it. Fight for the things you like about it. Fight against (or simply ignore) the things that you don't. This year's burn was just as enjoyable, or even more so, than my first, in spite of all the things that have changed between then and now.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Madgirl wrote:As Lonesomebri said, it changes every year, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. What constitutes better or worse is often up for debate. Every year there's speculation that it's the beginning of the end, or that the event is going to become something radically different than what we know and love, or whatever. But at the end of the day, it's still what you make it. Fight for the things you like about it. Fight against (or simply ignore) the things that you don't. This year's burn was just as enjoyable, or even more so, than my first, in spite of all the things that have changed between then and now.
My philosophy as well.

This year's Burn was actually my best ever.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree. It was my best ever too. I try not to focus on the negative. What's the point? I had a great time and can't wait for next year.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Was there once a Burn where someone didn't say the last Burn was the beginning of the end? Back in '99 one Burner told me because the firearms ban shut down the drive by shooting range, that it was the beginning of the end. I mean, if the Man burns it happened, when he doesn't, then its over. Leave it at that.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:48 pm

next year will be my 3rd time going , and I say the best is yet to come ")
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:28 pm

I go to Burning Man and just let it happen.. The end will happen when there are no tickets to sell..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 pm

There were a lot more high-profile types on playa this year in addition to good ole Grover, they just kept low key. (Or so a little birdie told me, but that little birdie didn't name names but the source was credible.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 pm

There will be something more trendy to go to soon. Burning Man will be passe to the in crowd. Then the end will be over and we can continue on.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

I think the event's salvation will be its location.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:43 pm

It's always the beginning of the end.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 pm

I hate this song...

[media]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 pm

To be honest, nothing will ever be as beautiful to me as the pace of Black Rock City in 2005 and 2006, we all have our glory times, it's just never going to be like that again. I loved the size of the event when I first went. I'll never get that back. But I'm grateful!

BUT, I could go back to BRC next year and have the best burn ever. That is certainly not out of the question. But my personal favorite era of Burning Man is Gone with the Wind. Nature of the game....If only it sucked more, maybe it would of grown at a slower pace. WHERE'S OUR KIND VEGGIE DUST STORMS FROM HELL?

People see my old photo albums and I even lived on the esplanade at the time, and they say it looks like it used to be so peaceful. Hahaha I thought that was raging, now it's just BIGGER GLOWIER BURNIER BLINKIER and LAZERIER than EVERRRR !!

I dont see Burning Man ending until society changes or we go into apocalypse mode, but it might get uber gentrified or the parasites might gobble it up. Ya never know....

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 pm

The playa will fight back

Monday rain was just a warning

The millionaire RV isn't as palace-like when it's upside down and the blackwater tank is your new shower

Wandering in circles choking and coughing in a dust storm, collapsing without another soul in sight, and waking up in a hospital in Reno...probably not going to tell your friends about how they should have come seen Skrillex play Africa

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:38 am

It's all part of a larger cycle.

Once the EMP disaster happens, we'll have a nice quiet AusterityBurn in 2023.

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:15 am

Leo wrote:For Burning Man 2014, the high end PnP camps made headlines, Grover Norquist attended, and Katie Couric covered the event on Yahoo News. Is this the beginning of the end of Burning Man as we know it?
"No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Yogi Berra
I had no idea it was ending until I joined eplaya but I'm beginning to believe it after some of the dramas here. Hell I never thought I'd get threatened with physical violence for having an unpopular opinion or some bunch of words spoken. :mrgreen:

But I think the Man is likely doing just fine, I'll find out for sure if I make it there in 2015. It's never going to be like it was in 03 and 04. That doesn't mean things are worse or ending but rather just moving along. It's not like it was in 96 or 08 or 09 or whatever years. I think I'll have a good time checking out the changes and I'll meet some people that will make it feel just like 03 and 04, I'm pretty sure of that. There's so much good shit that happens at the Man in any given year that I don't see that ending anytime soon. If it does it's going to be like Global Warming. It's going to take a few really bad years before it's over.

It's all fine however it plays out. I'm ready for anything. Image

Don't believe everything you think.

Bless

Post by Bless » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:15 am

[media]
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:13 am

I hope it's the beginning of the end. Would be nice to get my life back.
Sic Semper Spectatores

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 am

The Beginning of the End by my fave singer/band (Ville Valo/HIM)

[media]

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:26 am

when we are eating Soylent Green..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Ha...you guys are great....Kilboy, well said. It is what it is.

I was able to break up with burning man and have not attended the last 2 years. But I want make up sex! I know it will be good.

I feel like a fucking hipster when I think, "well now that the mainstream loves it, its not as cool"

I can tell it's still cool though, but possibly losing it's cool, but not enough to really push a lot of us away yet.

It sours here and there but my mind is always looking at the beauty, too. Sexy sexy sexy. UGH!!!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:48 pm

It is always the end. And always the beginning. You can connect or disconnect. Connect when it fills you. Disconnect when you are full. What endures are the experiences that changed you and the friends you take into the future. All else is dust.

[media]
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:49 am

some seeing eye wrote:It is always the end. And always the beginning. You can connect or disconnect. Connect when it fills you. Disconnect when you are full. What endures are the experiences that changed you and the friends you take into the future. All else is dust.

[media]

Beautifully stated :)

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

My first year was 2011. I bought my ticket in the main sale on Day one, and lucked out with the cheapest tier of tickets. I ended up making a connection with an old friend from elementary school, and I camped with him and his relative, who had been going since 1994. It was my buddy's second year. Everything was in place. I was ready to rock.

When the event sold out in July, the explosion was immediate. Everywhere I went, I read about how the event was dead, never to recover. Virgins had ruined everything. The event was done and over with, and there was no point to attend. Nobody was bringing art, nobody was going to play music, all the major camps had jumped the shark. Everything sucked. Obviously, nobody was going to volunteer. Larry Harvey and company had cashed out. I should have just sold my ticket and went to anything else, because for all intents and purposes, Burning Man was DONE. It was in the mainstream media. There were interviews. Doomsday E-mail chains.

When I finally got to the playa, my veteran campmate was awful for the entire week. He spoke at length about how it was dead, too big, too loud, too small, too spread out, too thick, too quiet, the crowd was bad, too many old people, too many young people, the parties sucked, the art was bad, everything. He cited years of experience - in 2004, this happened, in 2001, this was going on, but in 1999, it was better because, except for 2007 when, and then in 2009, but back in 1996... All week. Nonstop. All week, everywhere I went with him, he told me how terrible the event was, and he spoke, at length, about how he would never return.

As far as I could tell, though, I was having the absolute best week of my life. Everyone was wonderful. The art was mesmerizing. My experience fundamentally shifted who I was, and who I am to this day. The music was spectacular, the spectacle moreso. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I've returned every year since then, and every year is different. While the weather was spectacular in 2011, I also thought it was great in 2013. The artwork in 2012 was my favorite, but 2014 had a lot of janky small-scale pieces that touched my heart. I have yet to have a night better than Friday event-week of 2013, but 2013 was also my worst Burn. 2014 was my favorite. 2011 and 2012 kind of rest in the middle of the pack. 2014 had the most interesting weather, but 2012 was the dustiest... despite it still not being very dusty. I actually have yet to experience bad weather beyond monday post-event 2013, when the major storm hit my side of the playa for all of five minutes. I'm sure 2015 will be very interesting. 2016 will be cool too, I bet. Maybe the event will be objectively bad in 2017. Who knows.

Oh, and the previously mentioned ultra-jaded obscenely-douchey veteran has returned every year since I last saw him, and as far as I've heard, he keeps up the same shtick.

Anyway, people have been heralding the end for longer than I can fathom. I'm sure in 1994, that veteran douchebag was hearing all about how 1989 and 1990 had the real vibe. I'm sure that in 2003, the event was done, because suddenly the BMORG was codifying "principals" of some kind. I know that the early Man burn in 2007 just totally killed the event, and it hasn't recovered since then, and nobody has actually had fun since the bad weather of 2008.

I know that I'm going to keep going and extracting every ounce of enjoyment I can out of this stupid party, because it is a one-of-a-kid stupid party. Fuck what others have to say. For all I care, they can consider the event dead and never return, because it means tickets are easier for my friends and family to acquire. I do know that it will never be what it was, but who knows what it will eventually become?

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Great attitude Ano. Just being on that desert is enough to rock my world. Too bad your friend couldn't see that.

Don't believe everything you think.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:12 pm

How interesting people are !

How helpful the playa could be if your negative friend could begin to hear himself and press restart !!

xoA.

smiffman
Burning Since: 2014

Post by smiffman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:36 am

kiboy wrote:Great attitude Ano. Just being on that desert is enough to rock my world. Too bad your friend couldn't see that.

I agree just being there is the best part and the rain on that Sunday/Monday was dopeeeeeeeeee.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Ano wrote:Anyway, people have been heralding the end for longer than I can fathom. I'm sure in 1994, that veteran douchebag was hearing all about how 1989 and 1990 had the real vibe. I'm sure that in 2003, the event was done, because suddenly the BMORG was codifying "principals" of some kind. I know that the early Man burn in 2007 just totally killed the event, and it hasn't recovered since then, and nobody has actually had fun since the bad weather of 2008.
2003 was my first year, I can verify that people were bitching it was over then. Some of the ones I know who were bitching about that are still attending... :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Philosophical Center”