A short story about the blow back to COMMODIFICATION CAMPS

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Sandstorm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: TBD

A short story about the blow back to COMMODIFICATION CAMPS

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Back in late September I wrote the below post in the Facebook unofficial Burning Man group. Some of the recent comments in the "Plug n plays running amok" thread made me recall the below post and I thought that I'd share it here as opposed to in the "amok" thread. Enjoy (or not)!

"Chapter 4 of "Gone with the Playa":

The scene: Burning Man 2015. Wednesday afternoon. The elevated veranda at First Camp. The Burning Man BOD members have gathered together for a mid-day meal. They are all holding steel bowls that are filled with a lovely treat: homemade Italian sorbet that's been topped off with organic mixed fruit that's been soaked in artisanal Tequilla made by an indigenous tribe in Chiapas, Mexico. Fetching Sparkle Ponies and Sparkle Bronies move amongst the BOD members, pausing to see which board member might need their bowls topped off with more sorbet or fruit. Laughter and conversation fill the air and a light breeze stirs the cloth that covers the veranda.

From here the view of the playa is magnificent; pedestrians, cyclists and Art Cars move about in an ebb and flow that seems driven by its own secret rules. Countless strains of Thump Thump fill the air; House, Trap and Dubstep tracks compete for ears and airspace and are routinely made inaudible by the sudden bursts of unseen people cheering or nearby marching bands erupting into song. In the distance a muffled explosion fills the air and then from somewhere out on the playa a large smoke ring of thick black smoke rises slowly upwards towards Heaven. Larry Harvey smiles to himself as he takes in this scene. He turns his head to plant a kiss on the cheek of Maid Marian. She smiles at Larry and then wipes some dust from his face. She then pauses and a puzzled look grows on her face.

Over Larry's shoulder and through the bright and dusty haze of the afternoon air Marian can see a large group of people moving past Center Camp and heading towards First Camp. In that crowd she sees arms flailing wildly about in all directions; some are pounding on drums, others are holding what seem to be pitchforks and then there are what seem to be flaming torches. At the front of that crowd the Black Rock City Animal Control vehicle, a prison cage on wheels, rolls slowly forward. Atop it stands a collection of Burners dressed mostly in red. Amidst them is a man clad in black leather boots, a red man thong, a black fanny pack and a gorilla mask. In his right hand he holds a bullhorn, which he lifts to his mouth and from it comes the words "Who do we want?" The phalanx of Burners following behind the Animal Control vehicle heartily respond with a roar of "Jim Tananbaum!" The man in the gorilla mask then uses his bullhorn to project the words "When do we want him?", to which the gathered crowd roars "NOW!". The drumming coming from within their midst suddenly elevates to a new level of cacophony. From nearby streets Burners of all shapes and sizes and manners of adornment rush forth and join the scene. The mob grows larger as it heads closer to the party where the Burning Man BOD members are enjoying cold bowls of afternoon delight.

Atop the veranda of First Camp Maid Marian clutches Larry and whispers to him "Oh G_d, Larry. It's happening. It's actually happening." From somewhere in Black Rock City the first notes of "Time" by Pachanga Boys fill the dusty air."

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: A short story about the blow back to COMMODIFICATION CAM

Post by TT120 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:16 pm

The body and security guards would never let you get that close to first camp. LOL
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm

TT120 wrote:The body and security guards would never let you get that close to first camp. LOL
We have Ninjas. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:18 pm

If 1/10th of 1 percent of the Burners in attendance in 2015 decided this was how it was going to go down, Larry Harvey would be wearing his balls for a bowtie, "security" goons or not.

Think it through even a little more: lets say the Weasel decided to have his goons open fire or use anything resembling force. Lets pretend they use rubber bullets (because thats just how the PR Machine would try to spin it). Within an hour of that event, the new invasion force would be a sizable percentage of the event and they would be out for blood. No speeches, no questions asked. If anthing within 500 yards of First Camp looked or smelled like they would resist, they'd be toast.

I just cant underscore this point enough, and its a point that The BMORG has clearly missed: Burners are not feeble-minded children. They do not mindlessly obey "authority". They are reactive, passionate, and the demographics do not favor Geritol. Once suitably motivated, they are not going to be put-off by either threats, force or platitudes.

The Weasel needs to open a very public dialogue and do it quickly. And by thus I mean A REAL DIALOGUE. One that squarely addresses his intentional, subversive, commodification of this event. He lied, cheated and stole from our community, and for that he must PERSONALLY answer.

Then again, maybe it'll get "discussed" next year in the dust. I'll be bringing binoculars, popcorn and a video camera, and Larry can kiss my ass when I post it on YouTube as a social commodity.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Then again, maybe it'll get "discussed" next year in the dust. I'll be bringing binoculars, popcorn and a video camera, and Larry can kiss my ass when I post it on YouTube as a social commodity.
I think I love you. :)

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Sandstorm wrote:Back in late September I wrote the below post in the Facebook unofficial Burning Man group. Some of the recent comments in the "Plug n plays running amok" thread made me recall the below post and I thought that I'd share it here as opposed to in the "amok" thread. Enjoy (or not)!

"Chapter 4 of "Gone with the Playa":

Over Larry's shoulder and through the bright and dusty haze of the afternoon air Marian can see a large group of people moving past Center Camp and heading towards First Camp. In that crowd she sees arms flailing wildly about in all directions; some are pounding on drums, others are holding what seem to be pitchforks and then there are what seem to be flaming torches. At the front of that crowd the Black Rock City Animal Control vehicle, a prison cage on wheels, rolls slowly forward. Atop it stands a collection of Burners dressed mostly in red. Amidst them is a man clad in black leather boots, a red man thong, a black fanny pack and a gorilla mask. In his right hand he holds a bullhorn, which he lifts to his mouth and from it comes the words "Who do we want?" The phalanx of Burners following behind the Animal Control vehicle heartily respond with a roar of "Jim Tananbaum!" The man in the gorilla mask then uses his bullhorn to project the words "When do we want him?", to which the gathered crowd roars "NOW!". The drumming coming from within their midst suddenly elevates to a new level of cacophony. From nearby streets Burners of all shapes and sizes and manners of adornment rush forth and join the scene. The mob grows larger as it heads closer to the party where the Burning Man BOD members are enjoying cold bowls of afternoon delight.

Atop the veranda of First Camp Maid Marian clutches Larry and whispers to him "Oh G_d, Larry. It's happening. It's actually happening." From somewhere in Black Rock City the first notes of "Time" by Pachanga Boys fill the dusty air."

[media]
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Total mutual man-crush. :mrgreen:

We need to get together and design some water-ballon-assault-slingshots for 2015. You know - surgical tubing, a couple of art cars as stanchions, and a winch from an old fishing trawler. I found some nice bladders that hold about two gallons and will handle 10g's of acceleration on EBay. Take a minute to do the end-game math on THAT! (-snicker-) :mrgreen: Naturally they'd only be harmless props however. :shock:

BTW: I have it on good authority that GP&E will look the other way when we bring it all in the front gate. Funny how Larry's first line of defense is all volunteer Burners who want some answers too! Heck, maybe we could get DPW into the mix! A monster post-hole digger really would come in handy... :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:00 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Tatonka: :)
GreyCoyote wrote:Total mutual man-crush. :mrgreen:
GreyCoyote: All that I can say is that many burners minds are pregnant with fun ideas. I will contact you when mine is further along in its gestation process. I am off course talking about the shitty, store bought trinkets that I plan to impose on random burners who don't actually want my (or any other person's) MOOPY playa gifts. :)

Simon: You look quite fetching in your half-"Zardoz", half-"Planet of the Apes" outfit. Have you been working out?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:18 pm

With a name like SandStorm, I was thinking maybe you would bring a phalanx of 20 guys, dressed in coveralls, carrying matching 2-stroke weed blowers.

Think of it as "performance art" in the dust around the CommoCamps. :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:50 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:With a name like SandStorm, I was thinking maybe you would bring a phalanx of 20 guys, dressed in coveralls, carrying matching 2-stroke weed blowers.

Think of it as "performance art" in the dust around the CommoCamps. :mrgreen:
You're hired. :)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Simon: Don't forget what the BED says: "Consent is SEXY". ;)

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Ain't no reason why Fist Friday can't be consensual ;)

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:24 am

Simon does look sexy in that gear
and Sandstorm is lingeringly southern gentle

But is it not clear that this is the time of change.. and as even the Dictionary of old defines commodity
It cannot be defined it evolves

and so do we.

xoA.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:13 am

com·mod·i·fy/kəˈmädəˌfī/
verb
turn into or treat as a commodity.

seems pretty fucking straightforward to me.

i don't think the definition needs any "evolutionizing" in order to fit a current practice.

either it is or it aint.

period.
Frida Be You & Me

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 am

Much as I respect Simon and his ways , I come back to this commodity issue.
It was a French word from the 15th century.
which defines itself as useful or valuable thing or service.
produced to satisfy wants or needs.
One synonym is reality.

I need BRC.
Go figure !
If you don't, then move on.

xoA.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:48 am

i do too.

that's why i'm willing to fight for it, instead of surrendering, and being raped.

yeah, i went there.
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

we can hold them off for a few years...

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 am

dear romans.

go fuck yourselves.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Simon: where is that? What city?
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:06 pm

That is Masada ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:10 pm

aserendipity wrote:Much as I respect Simon and his ways , I come back to this commodity issue.
It was a French word from the 15th century.
which defines itself as useful or valuable thing or service.
"silly" is a word that originally meant "innocent" - there are 13th century poems to "the sillie Virgin Mary". Just because a word meant "useful or valuable" several hundred years ago doesn't mean it hasn't shifted in the ensuing years. All it means now is "a marketable item produced to satisfy wants or needs" - marketable being a key word - as well as "wants": being a commodity doesn't mean you HAVE to have something, just that you would like to.

We all want Burning Man to continue, it's just that some of us aren't happy that the people who put on the event seem to have forgotten why they're doing it. When it stops being about the wonder of the event itself, and more about how they can market the event as a commodity to the outside world (and the rich), it just becomes another festival in the circuit (which it's already becoming for these people). It stops being unique, and outside of daily life, and becomes... common.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:22 pm

and Eric shifts within a moment from silly to sillie
even elicits the virgin mary for additional oompa

Yes Eric we do all want the same thing and the org is aware of it

xoA.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:52 pm

aserendipity wrote: Yes Eric we do all want the same thing and the org is aware of it
True. The problem is the BMOrg wants something else, more. IMHO. :)
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Eric wrote: When it stops being about the wonder of the event itself, and more about how they can market the event as a commodity to the outside world (and the rich), it just becomes another festival in the circuit (which it's already becoming for these people). It stops being unique, and outside of daily life, and becomes... common.
This.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Eric wrote:It stops being unique, and outside of daily life, and becomes... common.
This was my first burn and I asked myself numerous times "is this the same planet I live on?

So....yeah that's sure how it impressed this noob.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:50 am

lucky420 wrote:That is Masada ^^
Heh. I love your post/sig combination.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by tamarakay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:38 am

Does the implied violence bother anyone else? Just need to be careful of the pack mentality taking over.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Tamara: look at your sig for a moment: "when the only tool youve got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie".

If you plan on chastising us for having just a little fun in the same vein, I think that sig needs to go. But please dont change it. I think its wonderful! Burner humor at its finest.

We are all adults here, (well, everyone except Unjon, hehehe). We can all tell the difference between a tongue-in-cheek musing and a formal declaration of evil intent.

Nobody is going to kill/hurt/maim Larry and the CommodoDragIns. And if they do, I very seriously doubt such an act would ever come from anyone reading this. Does the Weasel and Company need to get a big fucking clue? YES. But violence never solved anything. All we seek is a truthful dialogue.

(And then we can grab the torches and pitchforks.... Hehehe) :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:31 pm

on that note just a brief disclaimer, and warning.

BY NO MEANS DO I ADVOCATE THE USE OF VIOLENCE OR CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR.

fun is fun, jokes are jokes, pranks are pranks, but, we are burners, and we don't solve our issues with fisticuffs or other such nonsense.

ThunderDome is where that happens.

and i don't want my Rants & Raves to be misinterpreted...

NERF PITCHFORKS, CLOWN TAR AND FAKE FEATHERS......shaming is fine when merited, but we cannot, as tamara has stated, let our anger at the appearance of corruption turn us into an ugly mob.

we're too beautiful for that.

seriously.

i'm very upset at the whole state of affairs, but lets not forget what makes us different...

we are a community, and also, to each his own....we do not judge, but we also demand that our ways be respected.

a paradox of sorts, but not one that is unsurmountable.

i believe this current "Kerfluffle" ( which i think demeans the seriousness of the issue, but it is the word the BMORG has chosen, so be it ) goes much deeper than just Burning Man.

it's indicative of our zeitgeist.

unfettered capitalism is running rampant, and it needs to be reined in.

in san francisco, this is evident in the real estate "kerfluffle"

in Detroit, well.....you can see where i am going......Wall STreet and the Silicon Valley High Flyers all think Life Is Grand, well, it aint.

you've been sucking on treasury tit money and IPO's and Venture Capital for years now, while we are in the same place, or worse.

and now it comes to black rock city and we are pissed.

this is not delores park, and i dont give a fuck about zuck's new house, or his fucking grilled cheese. if he wants to get dusty with the rest of us, more power to him....if he wants to wall himself off and bring defaultia in tow...he can go fuck himself.

this shit is real, it's palpable, and it's not going away, BUT.......we cannot resort to threats, real or imagined, of violence or vandalism to property.

we're better than that. we really are. we can stand up and fight, without ever throwing a punch, if we do it right.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Philosophical Center”