I'm on STRIKE!!!!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: I'm on STRIKE!!!!!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm sorry the pier crew got themselves into that mess. Of course, maybe they're happier having severely poisoned their relationship with the quasi-authorities.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 am

Going to throw some discs instead of planning on how to take my theme camp to village status.

Word on the street is there will be an announcement about CC on dec 2. I'm looking forward to see just what is communicated with the participants.

Have a great sunday!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:57 am

I'm betting nothing the BMORG says, short of banning turn key camping, will be enough to make some people happy; and that just ain't gonna happen.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:13 am

And that's a problem because?
afaict, there's been a series of events over the course of the life of the event that result in a year with a larger than normal group of people dropping out of the event because they don't like the values by which it is being run (or the way they perceive the event is being run). Thus far, the event has always bounced back, rather like those punching clowns that were around when I was a kid.* And this is perfectly normal, and happens on all sorts of other things, too. Change is the only constant. And I'm having uncomfortable feelings about the way you're badgering and putting down those who don't agree with you. (Or, the way I perceive you badgering..., if you prefer.) Do you need everyone to agree with you? Wouldn't you prefer that those who disagree with you self-select to not attend?

*Are those even around any more? If not, why not? Too violent? Or, maybe I should have said, Like a Timex. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Elderberry wrote:I'm betting nothing the BMORG says, short of banning turn key camping, will be enough to make some people happy; and that just ain't gonna happen.
How can you be so sure about that? It's quite apparent to anyone who reads any of your comments regarding this matter, that you're cool with PnPs and whatever horse shit policies the BMORG comes up with. Leave the PnP threads to those that do care, THANKS!

I have no business in many threads on this board, therefore you will not find me posting there merely for the sake of posting or being a constant naysayer...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Sandstorm
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:38 pm

The current clusterf*ck with the ComCamp Controversy has roots that go back years. As much as I wish that Larry & Co. would 100% clean up their act I don't think that they will. The BM Board of Directors is stacked with people whose individual worth is measured in the hundreds of millions or billions of dollars. The legal realignment of BM seems to have elements of a pyramid scheme. For years now Larry & Marian have been courting venture capitalists and Silicon Valley types and those are the people whom Larry & Marian have identified as being the next generations of leaders of Burning Man. It's clear to me that the world views of the people at the heart of the event took a major detour at some point during the past 10 years and it's only now that that reality has taken center stage due to the ComCamp Controversy and the incessant light that burners.me has shone on Larry & Co.'s shenanigans.

I love this event. I love the people who build BRC and fill it with a myriad of creative content. The main problem with this event isn't with veteran burners or with newbies, it's with FIRST CAMP and I don't see that reality changing any time soon or ever. The End.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:49 pm

First Camp is a reality .
It is a living breathing reality .

Shall we name you Last Camp ?
Then you can continue without disturbance .

Because that is BRC, isn't it ?

xoA.

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:59 pm

aserendipity wrote:First Camp is a reality .
It is a living breathing reality .

Shall we name you Last Camp ?
Then you can continue without disturbance .

Because that is BRC, isn't it ?

xoA.
I honestly have ZERO idea how to interpret or respond to your post. :shock:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:23 pm

2 minute 8 bit dance break!!!

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

Major_Disaster

Post by Major_Disaster » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:29 pm

December 2nd? couldn't they wait five days.?

In a somber voice: " December 7, 2014 — a date which will live in infamy — "

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Jackass wrote:
Elderberry wrote:I'm betting nothing the BMORG says, short of banning turn key camping, will be enough to make some people happy; and that just ain't gonna happen.
How can you be so sure about that? It's quite apparent to anyone who reads any of your comments regarding this matter, that you're cool with PnPs and whatever horse shit policies the BMORG comes up with. Leave the PnP threads to those that do care, THANKS!

I have no business in many threads on this board, therefore you will not find me posting there merely for the sake of posting or being a constant naysayer...
I'm not a naysayer, just a realist. There is a difference.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Since when do you have to agree with the op to post in a thread?

There are a lot of bullies on this board. So many that I rarely participate anymore. Most discussions regarding this topic seem to devolve into name calling and assholery.

Personally I think jt should resign from the board. I don't think that plug and plays or commodification will ever go away. We have already slipped all the way down that slope. Some people will cease going to the event, others will take their place. the event will evolve and change, some will hate it and others will love it.

I am still planning on attending and continue planning my camp.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 pm

The idea of a strike, or withholding volunteering, are about the only things that could push the org to be more responsive. If they ever find this thread, I imagine they will be breathing a sigh of relief at the apathy.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Eplaya is all about diversity. I like hearing all sides and suggestions. Some people have high hopes. Some have none. A few burners are taking actions, (either real or in their minds). This isn't a war. We don't have to choose up sides. Personally I wish there was less arguing and defending.

Motsky it's great that you are proactively doing nothing. I liken it to a hunger strike. Your action will affect you the most and I hope it satisfies your ambitious dream of change. A lot of level-headed burners are writing letters, posting on blogs and generally making their feelings known. Others are sitting back and watching the drama. They don't care a whit. Unless of course they don't get tickets. Then they'll care a lot and too late.

I hope that everyone with an opinion or funny quip is allowed to post on any thread they choose. Eplaya is an open forum. A blank book being written by many authors.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I think my personal bitch is the completely two-faced set of "values" being espoused.

On one hand Larry says its our event and waxes philosophical about the 10 Principals.
On the other hand, he commodifies it and shoves those principals where the sun doesnt shine.

If he came out and just said "yeah, I'm now a rich douche with a goofy hat and bad teeth and the joke is on all you dusty halfwits / I planned this all along / So sue me", I'd be okay with it. Shame on us, and shame on him. But at least we could finally see an end to the doubletalk and lies, and get on with the party.

If he wants to forever call the K-ring "Kommodification", fine.

Hey: We can permanently call the L-ring "Lies" and burn a Larry effigy each year to remind us "never trust him again". :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm pretty sure he got his teeth fixed.
JK

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:28 pm

You really havent been paying attention.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:34 pm

While EB runs off to locate a photo of Larry's teeth let me just say. Good on you all. Don't worry about how others perceive you. This ain't no popularity contest. There will be awards given out at the end to those most cynical, sarcastic and grammatically correct. There will be no awards for kindness, patience or compassion due to lack of entrants.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Ouch. Point taken.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:43 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:You really havent been paying attention.
No, really. He definitely got them fixed. He has a pearly white smile now. If you want to confirm this, just pull up the interview he did with Charlie Rose on YouTube.
JK

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Very impressive!!!

I sense a new commodification possibility afoot: Spokesperson for PolyGrip...
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Very impressive!!!

I sense a new commodification possibility afoot: Spokesperson for PolyGrip...
With all the money he's making off commodification, I'm going with implants.
JK

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Just wait until he gets a boob-job. Its coming. You heard it here first! :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:12 pm

tamarakay wrote:Since when do you have to agree with the op to post in a thread?
Since never.
Ratty wrote:I hope that everyone with an opinion or funny quip is allowed to post on any thread they choose.
They are, and that is not going away.

There seems to be a trend in recent "issue" threads where a "discussion" is apparently only people who agree with the OP, and they are the only ones who should be allowed to talk. Anyone who disagree's has to be told to shut up, or that they're wrong, or that they don't have the "right" to post in a thread if they disagree - all of which are false. Anyone has a right to raise the battle-cry over a topic near-and-dear to them, and more power to them, but no-one here should be telling others to shut up, or acting like an internet bully, in any thread. Most of us who've been to at least one Burn know a large part of the other people on here within 1 or 2 degrees of separation; please don't forget there are actual people typing on these keyboards, and, god willing, you will be drinking in the dust with them next year.

And, yes, my mod hat is on for this.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Since it now seems perfectly ok for PnPs to make a profit off people who come to view the art, how about the Org just stops pretending that the event if not all about the money and just opens things up for artists to at least reuse their structures, photos, whatever after the event for whatever they can make on them? At some point, when everyone but artists can make a buck, why would they do it?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Eric wrote: "...no-one here should be telling others to shut up, or acting like an internet bully, in any thread. Most of us who've been to at least one Burn know a large part of the other people on here within 1 or 2 degrees of separation; please don't forget there are actual people typing on these keyboards, and, god willing, you will be drinking in the dust with them next year.
Shuddap, Eric... (-ducking!-)

Wait: More wine? (-pours-)

On a serious note, if we cant have these dialogues, and with a goodly bit of humor interspersed between the outbursts and differing opinions, then we have lost something very important to our culture.

If you cant talk, the only thing left is fist-fighting, and thats usually counterproductive.

To Eric sotto voce: "...oh, yes please, the brie if you would..."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:29 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:On a serious note, if we cant have these dialogues, and with a goodly bit of humor interspersed between the outbursts and differing opinions, then we have lost something very important to our culture.
Exactly. One of the things I've always loved about eplaya is that we are not anonymous, we're all mostly real people who attend the same event & actually get to meet each other (lurkers & newbies included). The eplaya is a theme camp, and I'm kind of protective of it.
To Eric sotto voce: "...oh, yes please, the brie if you would..."
God, I wish I could eat brie on the playa (lactose intolerance). That would be heaven. As it stands, I'll give you my portion with a smile.

edit: finished my thought. Damn hangover.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

I agree with what you're sayin Eric. If I can't talk a little shit and poke people with a stick every now and then, then what is this board becoming? Elderberry's quite capable of defending himself and poking folks a little too. He's allowed to retaliate if he so wishes. I wasn't ripping someone that just walked into the room with a happy hello.

Perhaps we may all share a drink together on-playa, I'm not necessarily opposed to that idea...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Jackass wrote:I agree with what you're sayin Eric. If I can't talk a little shit and poke people with a stick every now and then, then what is this board becoming?
Lord, I wasn't saying be all kumbaya all the time (or ever. I miss Bob and his perfect pithy destruction of an argument) - I know people can defend themselves. My concern is that I'm seeing more "if you don't agree, don't post here"-type responses in the "issue" threads, which is not what this board is about. Freewheeling free-speech, as far as it can be pushed within the ToS is what we're about. My post wasn't even in response to something that happened in this thread, it's just where tamarkay & Ratty expressed their concerns, and I wanted to address them.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:2 minute 8 bit dance break!!!
Simon: Before you made that post I (a) never knew the name of that song and (b) never knew that there's a late 80's mainstream techno song that has the same name as my playa name. Thank you for learning me, teacher.
Major_Disaster wrote:December 2nd? couldn't they wait five days.?

In a somber voice: " December 7, 2014 — a date which will live in infamy — "
Major Disaster: You have won today's online version of Burning Man! Congratulations!

Eric: Great post!

Elderberry & tamarakay & Finnegan & Ratty & Grey Coyote & CaffeineGirl & Jackass:

In the spirit of Eric's official plea for there to be MORE LOVE ON EPLAYA I'm sending you all DUSTY HUGS and 2 YEAR OLD MOLLY THAT GOT LEFT IN SOMEONE'S STORAGE UNIT IN RENO. Kumbaya! Namaste!

Return to “Philosophical Center”