I'm on STRIKE!!!!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Sham

Re: I'm on STRIKE!!!!!

Post by Sham » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 pm

I believe you are referring to the book, Animal Farm. We are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:53 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Sandstorm wrote: I think that in the long run the voices of the burners who are fed up with Larry & Co. will have an impact on the event, be it through protest at the event, boycotts, the(re)education of newbies or the beginnings of a new, large scale burner event that's not affiliated BM.
I do think it's time to take this whole thing away from Larry, his BMOrg, and the gaggle of capitalist henchmen he employs. Put the event back to a smaller scale and do it BETTER. Write some bylaws that have teeth, the first of which shall be these bylaws SHALL NOT be modified by profiteers. Make the event profitable to the point it self-sustains and pays a living wage to those who tend it faithfully, but thats it. Burningman should not exist to be someones retirement account or a sell-out to the very forces it (supposedly) denounces.

Less = More.
Less Larry = More Burn.
Your calling for everyone to give up there sacred cow.. There are many more than P&P that have gone on for years..

38000 dedicated tickets before ticket go on sale...
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I've enjoyed reading the last several posts. There's only one thing that was mentioned that I'm not sure I agree with. If a man devotes his whole life to building the BMORG, no other job, you don't think it should owe him some form of retirement benefit?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:10 pm

More important than that jk, they are not on strike. Just motsky. What ever reason you have for going, you are going. Lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Elderberry wrote:I've enjoyed reading the last several posts. There's only one thing that was mentioned that I'm not sure I agree with. If a man devotes his whole life to building the BMORG, no other job, you don't think it should owe him some form of retirement benefit?
What was he doing? Living with his mother until BM got off the ground.. I think he was some goofy ass burning off his lonelyness on that beach.. Then just fell in line into this job..

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Elderberry wrote:I've enjoyed reading the last several posts. There's only one thing that was mentioned that I'm not sure I agree with. If a man devotes his whole life to building the BMORG, no other job, you don't think it should owe him some form of retirement benefit?
Yes, I certainly do. And the criteria I suggest for his evaluation are below:

IF a man has personally shepherded that organization to success, with all of it's principles intact, and has clean hands upon his exit, then he certainly is worthy. Pay that man his due, hire a sculpture to make a marble bust, and give him the Nobel Peace Price.

IF HOWEVER, that man has been found to be an egoist, egotist, fraud, a con-man, and has provenly plundered that organizations principle$ for the sake of monetary gain, then he should be run-out of town on a rail trailing a stream of tar and plenty of feathers.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:17 pm

unjonharley wrote:
What was he doing? Living with his mother until BM got off the ground.. I think he was some goofy ass burning off his lonelyness on that beach.. Then just fell in line into this job..
Does that really matter? I never planned to be doing anything I've ever done. It just sort of happened. It's hard (full time plus) work managing any organization that has grown to the size BM is now. Not to mention being one of the most influential people spearheading that growth.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Elderberry wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
Does that really matter? I never planned to be doing anything I've ever done. It just sort of happened. It's hard (full time plus) work managing any organization that has grown to the size BM is now. Not to mention being one of the most influential people spearheading that growth.
It wasn't him putting the art on the ground.. It wasn't him building theme camps.. It wasn't him bring art cars..
It was him climbing over the artist and jumping in front of the parade.Claiming to be the leader..

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Sandstorm wrote:
DrYes wrote:...It's been really kind of depressing. I love going to BM so much, but bitterness is creeping in and it's killing some of my enthusiasm and Burner-y-ness.
DrYes: That was a great post. :)

I think that it's wonderful that you took the time to create that website. Your doing so is an example of what so many burners do, which is to take their passion for the event and their respect for the community and channel those positive energies into something that will benefit other burners. It's incredbly dispiriting to know that Larry & Co. don't actually share the same values and belief systems as does the majority of the Burner community.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm probably less dispirited than you are, and plan to continue going as long as I feel the magic when I'm there, but unfortunately I feel tainted by it all and no matter what the resolution is I'm going to have a hard time forgetting this. And if I, working on just a website, feel less drive to contribute, I'm sure artists who spend a shitload more energy/time/money than me are feeling it.

I think the situation can be salvaged and hope Marian and Larry are taking this very strongly to heart.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Sham wrote:I believe you are referring to the book, Animal Farm. We are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others.
It is not permitted to question the equality of the Revolution. You are obviously an imperialist capitalist counter-revolutionary.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

unjonharley wrote:38000 dedicated tickets before ticket go on sale...
Completely wrong number.
38,000 was the number of "individual sale" tickets that went on sale in Feb (ie: anybody). There were 15,000 directed tickets (theme camps), 3,000 pre-sales (the $650 tickets), 1,000 OMG sale tickets, and 4,000 Low Income tix. Include the LI tickets, there were 19,000 that were set aside. That's half of the number you quote, which means that 2/3's of tickets were available to anybody. The catch with all these numbers, of course, is they're the published ones - we don't know how many were sold as "fundraiser" tickets, and we don't know who qualified to be invited to buy those.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sandstorm
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 pm

GreyCoyote wrote: Less = More.
Less Larry = More Burn.
Grey: Excellent post and very well said.

There are SO many people who want to do EXACTLY what you described in regards to taking the spirit of BM and creating a new event that is run by people who actually give a f*ck about the 10 Principles and who would want to create POSITIVE, non-hostile working environments. Honestly, I've recently been doing a great deal of thinking about undertaking such a journey. I'll let you know if I choose that path.
unjonharley wrote:It wasn't him putting the art on the ground.. It wasn't him building theme camps.. It wasn't him bring art cars..
It was him climbing over the artist and jumping in front of the parade.Claiming to be the leader..
unjohn: Amen!
DrYes wrote:...And if I, working on just a website, feel less drive to contribute, I'm sure artists who spend a shitload more energy/time/money than me are feeling it.

I think the situation can be salvaged and hope Marian and Larry are taking this very strongly to heart.
DrYes: I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in the rooms where the large scale playa art makers are watching this fiasco unfold.

Regarding Larry and Marian, THEY are the ones who loaded up the Board of Directors with people like Jim Tananbaum and Elon Musk. IMHO, asking Larry and Marian to fix their mess is like asking Blackwater to reform its death squads. Even if Larry & Co. actually announce that THE BORG is going to make some substantial changes about the ComCamp quagmire I still VERY MUCH DOUBT that those changes will address the fact that BM BOD looks more like a cabal of Fortune 500 members than the folks hanging out at one of the Lamplighter parties.

You also wrote:
DrYes wrote:I'm probably less dispirited than you are, and plan to continue going as long as I feel the magic when I'm there, but unfortunately I feel tainted by it all and no matter what the resolution is I'm going to have a hard time forgetting this."
The underlined part of you wrote describes to a tee why this situation vexes me so much; I'm just not good at forgetting about or ignoring shitty situations about which I've become highly aware. I've never gone to BRC and had to shut down any aspect of my mind. I've always gone there to OPEN my mind. At this point BM would need to get rid of Larry & Marian and everyone on the BOD for me be at peace with my continuing to go to the event. But hey, that's MY burden and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way I do about that aspect of this situation.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 pm

This is the same frame of mind I'm in. I think this last year was the last in which I'll have enthusiastically brought newbies to the playa. And I too, would like to see a new event take hold. I'd do Juplaya, but I attend another event that weekend.

I do like the idea of burning an effigy of Larry on L. Very much.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Two cents!

I can't help but want to go back next year and make sure that the forces that perpetuate this kind of behavior don't end up taking over the event. I've had many powerful experiences out there, and the work I do for my camp and for the city as a volunteer stands alone as some of the absolute best times of my life, every year, four years running now. Perhaps my tune will change with time, after all, I used to be a fan of other festivals before they got overrun with the kind of crowd I didn't enjoy... but I feel like, at least with the Burn, I have a pretty strong hand in shaping the event for those around me. I've had many people find me in the city midweek, while I'm wearing my civvies, asking me if I was "That guy at Gate," and then they enthusiastically tell me I helped set the tone for their entire burn with the shenanigans. I ruined an Australian's life this year by introducing him to American snack food, and as far as I know, he was flying back to Australia with a pallet of Cheez-it's. I've helped get medical attention to those that really need it - this year on Tuesday I ran into a frantic girl who was having a Green Dot situation back at camp, and I immediately helped direct her to the Rangers and made sure she got the help that her campmate needed, ASAP.

Is Burning Man full of douches? Yeah. I love me some Robot Heart sessions, but those crowds are douche central. The major Burn crowds, especially the Temple, are overrun with "My experience is more important than yours" types. Every week, I run into folks that are out there in the middle of the night chugging a vial of unknown origin while wearing no lights and toting no survival gear on a Wal-Mart bike looking for the next big party. But - fuck it. Those folks are going to slowly infiltrate any event. I can tell you about a time when EDC was considered a primo underground event, before Coachella was Hipster 'Chella, and I'm sure there was a time when Burning Man was some pristine perfect intersection of art, music, counterculture, sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll. But I ain't gonna go looking for that boat, when this one is just beginning to set sail.

Yeah, it's not Larry's event. It's not the BMORGs event. They order potties, talk the permits out, and play the big game making sure that the major pieces are in place so all of the real players can get on the game board and roll the dice. As far as I can see, they write the rule book, the theme camps are the dungeon masters, and we're all rolling the dice trying to score a 20 so we can get a critical hit on something or something or other. Fuck it. I love Burning Man, and I ain't getting off this boat until I'm forced off by a Segway-riding PNP-attending wristband-wearing Sherpa-abusing dickmotron. And that's gonna be awhile, when there are something like 60ish thousand fantastic people out there, and maybe 1000 total and complete dickmotrons.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 am

Here's another prediction. The weather has been really nice out there the last few years. I have a hunch that after the next bad year, a lot of the PnP camps will be out of business and the tourists that camped with them will spread the word to their friends on how brutal it was, and the market for those camps will whither away.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I've seen it happen with lots of people--especially first timers. And no amount of luxury will be able to overcome the weather if it's as bad as I've experienced it in years past.
JK

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 am

I don't know if the dust prediction will happen..

I will be doing Dust Dances to the great Sun Ghost

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

I'm on STRIKE!!!!!

Post by vargaso » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 am

Sandstorm wrote:The current clusterf*ck with the ComCamp Controversy has roots that go back years. As much as I wish that Larry & Co. would 100% clean up their act I don't think that they will. The BM Board of Directors is stacked with people whose individual worth is measured in the hundreds of millions or billions of dollars. The legal realignment of BM seems to have elements of a pyramid scheme. For years now Larry & Marian have been courting venture capitalists and Silicon Valley types and those are the people whom Larry & Marian have identified as being the next generations of leaders of Burning Man. It's clear to me that the world views of the people at the heart of the event took a major detour at some point during the past 10 years and it's only now that that reality has taken center stage due to the ComCamp Controversy and the incessant light that burners.me has shone on Larry & Co.'s shenanigans.
This is my beef as well. Larry & Co. have been actively courting a certain type of business leader, one that has a knack for monetizing existing social/cultural phenomena. Air BnB (monetizing couch surfing), Fest300 (monetizing festival attendance, doh!), etc. Sure, these types would be naturally drawn to Burning Man, but the apparent intent is to place these people as leaders within BMORG with the power to make policy. And their talent for monetizing this kind of thing seems to be driving policy changes. It sucks ass, in my humble opinion. I don't give a shit who attends or how they burn, but the changes at the top are worrisome.

As for going on Burning Man strike, I'm all for it as long as the striker views it solely on a personal level, because it sure as shit aint' gonna mean squat to the event as a whole. As others have stated, if a sizeable amount of people bail, the only thing that will mean is more available tickets. Doesn't matter if Marco bails, another artist will take his place. That's one of the lessons of Burning Man, not just the ephemeral nature of things, but that no one is indispensable.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:37 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:IF HOWEVER, that man has been found to be an egoist, egotist, fraud, a con-man, and has provenly plundered that organizations principle$ for the sake of monetary gain...
Oh, I've been casting aspersions on Larry for over a decade now, but isn't it the egotists and frauds and con men and self-satisfied and self-involved who change things and make big things? I don't like that it's that way, but I think it is.

And I think everyone deserves a decent retirement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm

I can hardly be on strike, or else I've been on strike for so long it doesn't matter, but these events would have dispirited me. Wounded me more than my asshole villagers did? I don't know. Assholism lives on scales big and small.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:18 pm

No one *deserves* a retirement. A retirement is EARNED and should be MERIT-based.

But thats just my opinion. Things tend to get murky when we talk about the philosophical contradiction that is Larry Harvey.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:33 pm

There are a lot of really great posts in here guys. It's been a pleasure to read them. I guess we have to wait another day or more for news from the Borg. :?
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 pm

vargaso wrote:This is my beef as well. Larry & Co. have been actively courting a certain type of business leader, one that has a knack for monetizing existing social/cultural phenomena. Air BnB (monetizing couch surfing), Fest300 (monetizing festival attendance, doh!), etc. Sure, these types would be naturally drawn to Burning Man, but the apparent intent is to place these people as leaders within BMORG with the power to make policy. And their talent for monetizing this kind of thing seems to be driving policy changes. It sucks ass, in my humble opinion. I don't give a shit who attends or how they burn, but the changes at the top are worrisome.

As for going on Burning Man strike, I'm all for it as long as the striker views it solely on a personal level, because it sure as shit aint' gonna mean squat to the event as a whole. As others have stated, if a sizeable amount of people bail, the only thing that will mean is more available tickets. Doesn't matter if Marco bails, another artist will take his place. That's one of the lessons of Burning Man, not just the ephemeral nature of things, but that no one is indispensable.
vargaso: Your very eloquent post put into words the very thoughts that I've had in recent weeks about the nature of those people who fill the BM Board of Directors. To me there is something appalling about people who seek to monetize and commodify EVERY aspect of human existence.

"Tostisos presents 1 ply toilet paper in the Chase Bank Porta Potties at 6:45 and Exxon Street."

As for hypothetical playa artists replacing Marco, I'll say this: Although I didn't go to BM this I'm aware of the fact that this year the playa was lacking in large scale art. That fact was recently pointed out to me by a long time, well-connected burner. Earlier today I was looking at someone's VERY expansive photo album of this year's burn and I was struck by the lack of great playa art. I'm not trying to say that no one will step up and make new and great large scale playa art. What I am saying is that as much as Larry & Co. have been corrupting the event from the inside for years I also wonder if the event is starting to experience a type of climate change in regards to the presence of large scale playa art. We're already seeing the recycling or rehashing of certain playa art pieces. I have to think that the ComCamp Controversy is going to make a LOT of people think about whether or not to donate a large piece of their lives, souls, income and credit line to an event that is being run by corrupt scumbags who've forsaken the values of the event and the community.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 am

PLEASE just do get over yourself and do strike

It was the best burn ever
and yes I am an original

It is a living breathing existence
understand why I suggest you be in "last " camp

xoA.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

Hi aserendipity. I agree. Did you look at the photo links in the last JRS? Amazing photos of the art.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:14 am

Ratty , I went early, stayed after, and simply lived and breathed it .
No pictures any more.

When everyone was gone and it seemed to be just a vast empty space for miles ,
a person came from nowhere and handed me a parasol he had made as protection from the grueling sun.

The transition is not without painstaking reprisals; but this has always also been an element of burners' voices.
just more chiming in without the good .

xoA.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:38 am

Aserendipity, I too go early and stay late. You must text or call me when you get there with your location. I can come help you set up. (Or you me).
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 am

aserendipity wrote:Ratty , I went early, stayed after, and simply lived and breathed it .
No pictures any more.
Excellent.
I don't even bring my camera anymore.
Nor do I understand people who live through their lens instead of their mind.

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 am

Sandstorm wrote:
vargaso wrote:This is my beef as well. Larry & Co. have been actively courting a certain type of business leader, one that has a knack for monetizing existing social/cultural phenomena. Air BnB (monetizing couch surfing), Fest300 (monetizing festival attendance, doh!), etc. Sure, these types would be naturally drawn to Burning Man, but the apparent intent is to place these people as leaders within BMORG with the power to make policy. And their talent for monetizing this kind of thing seems to be driving policy changes. It sucks ass, in my humble opinion. I don't give a shit who attends or how they burn, but the changes at the top are worrisome.

vargaso: Your very eloquent post put into words the very thoughts that I've had in recent weeks about the nature of those people who fill the BM Board of Directors. To me there is something appalling about people who seek to monetize and commodify EVERY aspect of human existence.

"Tostisos presents 1 ply toilet paper in the Chase Bank Porta Potties at 6:45 and Exxon Street."

As for hypothetical playa artists replacing Marco, I'll say this: Although I didn't go to BM this I'm aware of the fact that this year the playa was lacking in large scale art. That fact was recently pointed out to me by a long time, well-connected burner. Earlier today I was looking at someone's VERY expansive photo album of this year's burn and I was struck by the lack of great playa art. I'm not trying to say that no one will step up and make new and great large scale playa art. What I am saying is that as much as Larry & Co. have been corrupting the event from the inside for years I also wonder if the event is starting to experience a type of climate change in regards to the presence of large scale playa art. We're already seeing the recycling or rehashing of certain playa art pieces. I have to think that the ComCamp Controversy is going to make a LOT of people think about whether or not to donate a large piece of their lives, souls, income and credit line to an event that is being run by corrupt scumbags who've forsaken the values of the event and the community.
I'm all for scaling down playa art. For one, the funding of "big art" keeps being used as justification for commodification camp attendees "participation," in that they supposedly help pay for big art. For two, while big art is impressive and great for selfie backdrops, it's been my experience that the smaller, unexpected, more personal and interactive installations provide more serendipitous moments. For three, if only smaller installations are out there, there's no gaudy spectacle for mainstream media and fly-ins to gawk at, and maybe those only looking for spectacle will move on.

That's just my take. I'm in awe of the crews that build the big art, but it's an arms race (an art race!) at this point, crews scrambling to outdo each other in size and spectacle.

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:26 pm

vargaso wrote:I'm all for scaling down playa art...
vargaso: You made some good points in your post. I certainly don't think that playa art needs to be MASSIVE to be GOOD. I simply believe that excellent large scale playa art adds another dimension to the event. On a related note, IMHO the only people who are arguing that the event needs ComCamps to pay for large scale playa art are the shills and sock puppets for Larry & Co. The event doesn't need to get rid of large scale playa art, it needs to get rid of Larry and Marian and the the Fortune 500 types whom they've put on the Board of Directors. It also needs to get rid of the would-be venture capitalists who acting as traveling emissaries for the Burning Man brand.

elKay

Post by elKay » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:34 pm

It has just been decided, and sadly we aren't going. We planned to try, but this whole mess, (which I believe caused our inability to score tickets the last 2 burns) has made it seem like an ugly elitist douche fest. I was really hoping that there would be some kind of a welcoming statement from the BORG by now.

Return to “Philosophical Center”