LarryCo Responds re: Commodification Camps

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Re: LarryCo Responds re: Commodification Camps

Post by alt12 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Eric wrote:
A-RockLeFrench wrote:Maybe we do need more. Considering that up until now there has been ONE. One dissenting voice publicly calling on the Borg for more accountability and integrity.
Talking about having a head stuck in the sand. Piss Clear existed for 13 years (and had closed up shop before you ever hit the playa) and had lots of articles bashing the Org & the way they did things, ePlaya has been a constant source of questioning and complaining about all facets of how Burning Man is run since before I joined (and that was 11 years ago), as was the Tribe group, and the current facebook group is.

There have always been lots of dissenting voices taking on the Org - BORG2 (2005) didn't happen through lack of dissent, it explicitly came out of people hating the way art grants were handled at the time. The ticket kerfuffle in 2012 was a huge amount of dissenting voices forcing a change in the ticket program - in the middle of it. Every change the Org makes is run through the Burner mill, ground and parsed and argued over. Just go pick any random year in the archives of this board & start re-reading some of the issues.

If anything b.m is all about "look at me" blogging, and driving clicks to his site. While I'm happy with the way things seem to be moving (we won't know for sure until we're on playa), giving Captain Clickbait the sole credit is ludicrous. There were plenty of voices leading the charge, lots on here, and he fed off it.

This may be the only time I wholeheartedly agree with Eric. Piss Clear was a prominent voice of opposition, and not just to the the BMORG, the DPW and dickishness of all stripes. Let's not forget Chicken John's role very vocal over the years on various aspects of BMORG behavior and there have been others. And lets not forget co-founeder of the event John Law's long crusade against many of the ORG's policies and specifically with regards to the copyright and ownership of the Burning Man name and image.

Suffice it to say there have been and continue to be many voices that bring to light alternative and oppositional viewpoints with regards to Burning Man Org policy. And somehow they managed to do it without the dickishness exhibited by burnerxxx (which goes along way to explaining why he sought anonymity). Ok, Chicken John could be pretty dickish too but he's an incorrigible and loveable rapscallion

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Alright, alright. I stand corrected. Bxx.me has not in fact been the only voice of dissent, now or ever.

Piss clear was way before my time, chicken John too. John Law. All that shit.

That was an ignorant thing for me to say.

Up until now, regarding this issue, there has been one blog (that I am aware of) outside of the BM propaganda machine voicing opposition to the way this has been and is being handled by the idiots in charge.

Commenting on facebook groups and internet message boards (official message boards) are one thing, but putting together an entire website to address issues that you passionately care about is another thing.

It's not my intention to give all the credit to bxx.me. He is a controversial figure at this point...

But I for one welcome the input and participation from 'techie burners'.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 pm

alt12 wrote:
Eric wrote:
A-RockLeFrench wrote:Maybe we do need more. Considering that up until now there has been ONE. One dissenting voice publicly calling on the Borg for more accountability and integrity.
Talking about having a head stuck in the sand. Piss Clear existed for 13 years (and had closed up shop before you ever hit the playa) and had lots of articles bashing the Org & the way they did things, ePlaya has been a constant source of questioning and complaining about all facets of how Burning Man is run since before I joined (and that was 11 years ago), as was the Tribe group, and the current facebook group is.

There have always been lots of dissenting voices taking on the Org - BORG2 (2005) didn't happen through lack of dissent, it explicitly came out of people hating the way art grants were handled at the time. The ticket kerfuffle in 2012 was a huge amount of dissenting voices forcing a change in the ticket program - in the middle of it. Every change the Org makes is run through the Burner mill, ground and parsed and argued over. Just go pick any random year in the archives of this board & start re-reading some of the issues.

If anything b.m is all about "look at me" blogging, and driving clicks to his site. While I'm happy with the way things seem to be moving (we won't know for sure until we're on playa), giving Captain Clickbait the sole credit is ludicrous. There were plenty of voices leading the charge, lots on here, and he fed off it.

This may be the only time I wholeheartedly agree with Eric. Piss Clear was a prominent voice of opposition, and not just to the the BMORG, the DPW and dickishness of all stripes. Let's not forget Chicken John's role very vocal over the years on various aspects of BMORG behavior and there have been others. And lets not forget co-founeder of the event John Law's long crusade against many of the ORG's policies and specifically with regards to the copyright and ownership of the Burning Man name and image.

Suffice it to say there have been and continue to be many voices that bring to light alternative and oppositional viewpoints with regards to Burning Man Org policy. And somehow they managed to do it without the dickishness exhibited by burnerxxx (which goes along way to explaining why he sought anonymity). Ok, Chicken John could be pretty dickish too but he's an incorrigible and loveable rapscallion
...remember BMORG2!
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Major Krash wrote:...remember BMORG2!
BORG2 was in my second paragraph! :lol:
("BORG" was the slang-name for the Org at the time, it became "BMORG" later)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 am

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:02 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Up until now, regarding this issue, there has been one blog (that I am aware of) outside of the BM propaganda machine voicing opposition to the way this has been and is being handled by the idiots in charge.

Commenting on facebook groups and internet message boards (official message boards) are one thing, but putting together an entire website to address issues that you passionately care about is another thing.
He never would have had an issue to oppose if people hadn't been making posts on reddit & facebook (and here) about it. It was those boards you disdain that brought all this to light (and even though ePlaya is under the official Burning Man umbrella, we completely allow vocal opposition to anything the Org does. Hell, sometimes the opposition posts are a majority of the ones on here, and even the Mods are allowed to voice their opposition to the ways things are handled. Doesn't mean that opposition will go unchallenged, but as long as you're staying within the ToS, have at.)

[mod hat off]
For someone with computer skills, putting that website together is as easy as posting on a board is for the rest of us. Getting a domain name is simple. B.m is basically the HuffPo, using other peoples posts & stories to hang their opinions off of, with a FOX-news style hatred of anything the BMorg does added in (which, in this case, is actually the popular opinion). IMHO, of course.
[/mod hat on]
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:41 pm

From what I saw, burners.me was the first to post the email offering donation tickets as well as the receipt for the purchase of 10 tickets & 4 parking passes. This was the first concrete proof of these. Before that people posted rumors of such but not proof.

And the unofficial burning man facebook group is pretty crappy. Too much trolling to follow anything or get any decent info.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Major Krash wrote:

...remember BMORG2!

Of course! I can't say I actually caught the BMORG2 art that was supposed to be so much better, but it sure made for an entertaining year

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm

I admit that the giant mousetrap was cool, even though it had been to the playa before.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Philosophical Center”