Plug and Play camps

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
MonsterStanton
Burning Since: 2012

Plug and Play camps

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Hello! Ive been reading a lot about this issue weve been having with the Plug and play camps. As I do have some ideas for the situation But first I would also to gain a better understanding of who they are exactly. Is there a list of camps classified as such? What camps were they located at? How can we interact with them? Does anyone have any ideas? Or even any thoughts on the situation as awhole?

Thank you
MonsterStanton

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Plug and Play camps

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Suggestion: try reading... oh... well... lets see.... just about anything posted on this board in the last three months. I stopped counting at 21 threads. ALL of your questions will be thusly answered. YMMV. :evil:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

MonsterStanton

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Ive read a lot on the topic already... This post is more so directed in finding a list or some sort of contact with them? Most my reading done viva other sites... Thanks for the suggestion though. Guess ill keep it in mind.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Just when you think you've heard the last of it...

As said above, read the forums. There are countless threads on the subject.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:38 pm

No-one-keeps-a-formal-list.And-there-are-grey-areas.

Waht-are-you-ideas?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Most my reading done viva other sites

which ones?....do tell.
Frida Be You & Me

MonsterStanton

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Well I will continue to do so. But if someone wanted to point out a particular thread instead of just telling me to read that would be helpful!

@thecryptofishist ive been working with a burning man artist and planning for further instillations (hopefully next year)

This was my first comment on the FAQ page on the burningman page.

As new as I am to the burning community I really do feel as burning man is home to me.. Its a life changing place! I think people need to look at this topic from several angles. Yes there are some issues that need to be addressed, moop, contributing to the community, ect. But isn’t also part of our ways to be loving and caring to anyone? Instead of pushing them out we need to adapt as a community. Welcome them! And show them our ways! We have to at least give them a chance. I wanna also pointed out this is could be good for us. I’ve spent hours and hours talking with a man by the name of Timeless, who has very good ideas on this. It would be cool to see some of them take on funding for art projects! Lets be honest there are a load of artist who have these incredible ideas but don’t ever get the chance because of the costs! I really think this could help create a balance in things. As amazing and fun as it is to create things to bring and share it can also be expensive. Who knows maybe this would encourage some of them to take pride in what they can contribute and make there camps themed around the piece they have funded! There are many different ideas here and I think we as a community need to discuss and invest some time and thought into them. I highly recommend reading the comments that have been being posted viva @timeless! Thank you for your time!

Im SURE people have touched the idea of the plug and play camps contributing to art, but ive been working with man who has been developing a very solid process for doing this! I will post further information on this soon with more info.

MonsterStanton

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Thats unfortunate as well.. I had a feeling it wouldnt have some sort of records but thought id ask.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:45 pm

MonsterStanton wrote:Thats unfortunate as well.. I had a feeling it wouldnt have some sort of records but thought id ask.
Well, it never hurts to ask--if your skin is thick enough. :) Welcome to the board, by the way.

As folks have indicated, there's not really a known/agreed-upon "list" of Plug & Play camps. The camps that tend to stand out negatively are:

* camps that are wealthy, but fail to host events that are inclusive or welcoming of the outside population.
* camps that sell plush, overly cushy packaged trips for lots of cash, especially if they require no work or creativity on the part of the camper.
* camps that leave a mess behind, especially when they are well-known to have the money/resources to do an especially thorough job.

You might have to do a lot of reading/digging in order to develop your own opinion of who such camps are.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Welcome them! And show them our ways!
Excuse me. Can you please tell me what the fuck 'our ways' are? You're putting that forward as a statement of collective homogeneity which is quite far from the truth. You're also coming perilously close to defining what the event is for other people which, I might add is also bullshit.

Sorry hon, someone needed to say it.

MonsterStanton

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Thank you! And yeah I had figured.. My mentor has had experience with this site previously so thought id just give a check here.

That little segment I posted was from a different thread.. When I said show them our ways im more so talking about the simpler things.. Being welcoming and not so quick to just kick them out. Not leaving moop.. If you have prime playa then the camps need to be themed. These are just things im addressing from issues I read on another post.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:31 pm

MonsterStanton wrote:But isn’t also part of our ways to be loving and caring to anyone?
This isn't the Rainbow Festival.

I find it difficult to believe that you can't find the threads where the plug&play issue has been beaten into the ground.

It sounds like you're wanting to further commercialize the event.

The placers organize what themed camps go on what chunk of prime playa, that's already taken care of. If someone with enough connections and money gets around that, well... that is what it is.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

MonsterStanton

Post by MonsterStanton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm

The main reason of this post was mainly just to see if anyone had a list or an idea of it. Should have left it at that haha. Thank you for those of you who did answer my question.

digital

Post by digital » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I find it difficult to believe that you can't find the threads where the plug&play issue has been beaten into the ground.
Google: "site:eplaya.burningman.org pnp"

And ya, BM isn't Rainbow Fest. Take that hippie nonsense elsewhere.

digital

Post by digital » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks, Jovankat! I didn't have the patience for that.

:-)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Many people are funding small art projects through crowd funding with all the usual promotional strategies.

Big funding comes through personal networks. There is a lot of anonymity at the burn and a significant number of placed camps are not listed anywhere.

There are quite a few "lone pnp solution geniuses" out there too, just like lone ticketing geniuses, lone exodus geniuses, lone LEO geniuses, on and on. It a way, it is in the culture, but it is more likely for someone to have a chance of success by being the lone genius about something in their camp.

But hey, talk to art placers and funders at your regional or send an email to artery at burningman org.

(Holy shit Jovankat, we are out of control! But thanks!)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:52 am

digital wrote:Thanks, Jovankat! I didn't have the patience for that.

:-)
I was just going to say the same thing.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 am

I think we're well past the point where we can forgive people who may not spend a lot of time online for not knowing how to look shit up. I know I'm done with it in my own life, I no longer respond to relatives or friends (or my kids!) who come to me in order to find something that is easily Google-able. We're 20 years into the internet now, this should be a required skill.

MonsterStanton, the list that Jovankat compiled was not done via some secret "easy" button given out to veteran internet users. He/she had to look that shit up just like you should have. I may be more irascible on this subject than many due to spending my work hours online and dealing with these kinds of requests almost constantly, but even so, don't come on here expecting people to do your work for you and not give you shit for it.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:02 am

The reason that happens here is that new people think this is a search engine that you can type/talk to and get a personalized answer to their questions no matter how often they have been asked and answered.

It's not malicious as much as it is a mind set or misinformed understanding. I have done the same thing myself. Somehow it seems easier and more personal. Never is much thought given to the fact that regular users have seen and answered the same questions a myriad of times.

As new people don't do this just to irritate the old timers, it's probably a better idea to give a short answer along with explaining that more thorough information can be found by searching. It's a much better strategy than insulting and alienating new users because you find their redundant questions personally annoying. (as do we all :shock: )
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

i dunno elderberry, i'm kinda tough love....

if i grab your hair and shit down your throat it just means i care.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 am

LOLOLOLOLO Hahahahaha :mrgreen: :coffee:
JK

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:12 am

vargaso wrote:I think we're well past the point where we can forgive people who may not spend a lot of time online for not knowing how to look shit up. I know I'm done with it in my own life, I no longer respond to relatives or friends (or my kids!) who come to me in order to find something that is easily Google-able. We're 20 years into the internet now, this should be a required skill.

MonsterStanton, the list that Jovankat compiled was not done via some secret "easy" button given out to veteran internet users. He/she had to look that shit up just like you should have. I may be more irascible on this subject than many due to spending my work hours online and dealing with these kinds of requests almost constantly, but even so, don't come on here expecting people to do your work for you and not give you shit for it.
This. So. Much. This.

If you cant manage to wrap your mind around a basic search engine request, why should we expect any stunningly new and intelligent ideas fom you for solving the PNP issue? I'm not saying you dont have good ideas. I am saying you would never trust a dentist when his teeth look like something found on a 20-year meth head. Even us Burners employ critical thinking occasionally.

I am also curious why do you feel the need to have a "mentor" for Burningman? Why not just read the survival guide, interact with a few vets, align with a couple of folks to form a little camp, then get your stuff packed and JUST DO IT. This isnt some sacred religious or cultural movement with acolytes, black masses, and secret handshakes. Go find your own way, not The Way preached by some self-appointed guru or mentor! You will have a bunch more fun and make the experience so much personal.

(That being said, I understand Mt. Tannenbaum is opening a mentoring academy next year out on K. For a small sum, he will indoctrinate you in the True Burner Lifestyle as seen on TV and in Fest300. Once he has shown you the ropes, you undoubtably will have a different view on the subject)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:30 am

Elderberry wrote:The reason that happens here is that new people think this is a search engine that you can type/talk to and get a personalized answer to their questions no matter how often they have been asked and answered.

It's not malicious as much as it is a mind set or misinformed understanding. I have done the same thing myself. Somehow it seems easier and more personal. Never is much thought given to the fact that regular users have seen and answered the same questions a myriad of times.

As new people don't do this just to irritate the old timers, it's probably a better idea to give a short answer along with explaining that more thorough information can be found by searching. It's a much better strategy than insulting and alienating new users because you find their redundant questions personally annoying. (as do we all :shock: )
No.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am

Hahaha :D OK you and Simon don't have to. :wink:
JK

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:41 am

"KEEP EPLAYA KROTCHETY™"
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Keep eplaya crotchy!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm

vargaso wrote:MonsterStanton, the list that Jovankat compiled was not done via some secret "easy" button given out to veteran internet users. He/she had to look that shit up just like you should have..
I am a she.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Wait.......what did I miss?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “Philosophical Center”