God Bless BURGINS!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

God Bless BURGINS!!

Post by RosieTahoe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:17 am

Eplaya and the internet at large have shown so much negativity towards Burning Man Virgins and it really pisses me off. We were ALL burgins at one point! Even the people that have been attending since Baker Beach were goddamn virgins (maybe not burgins yet but definitely virgins). So, I thought I would share a thread where we could actually share positive stories about them. I was one myself just a few short years ago and all I will say is that I was by no means the type of burgin this community wants to expel. I was extremely researched, super prepared, and in my not-so-humble opinion gave as much as I could to a community that at that point I only knew through my research. So here goes…

This year a burgin bought my and my husband’s tickets! We camped with 7 people last year who are all returning and we had three burgins who planned on joining us – my brother’s amazing girlfriend and her sister and friend. We all agreed ahead of time to purchase 2 tickets if we got in and if by some miracle most of us got in, we were all in contact via text and the rest of us would just get out of the queue. Well, of course we didn't end up with an abundance of tickets but with just enough! And you know what? SIX of those tickets were purchased by our burgins! My husband, brother, and myself (all on different computers in different locations) were all shut out but my brother’s girlfriend and our two other burgins all got in and purchased 2 tickets! Another 2 of our returning members also got in and purchased two tickets so there was just enough for all ten of us. Without our 3 burgins actually listening to us about the importance of this sale and trusting us to pay them immediately for any “extra” tickets the majority of our camp would be doing the sad dance of “of course I’m going” “I’m sure I will be able to get tickets as it gets closer” (***but what if I don’t?!?!). We still need a couple vehicle passes but I refuse to worry about that until the event gets closer as there seems to be a number of ways to still purchase them through Bmorg and I am lucky enough to live close to the playa and am connected to other burners.

So I say…GOD BLESS THE BURGINS!! I’m excited to hear your positive stories, maybe they’ll help counteract just a bit of the negativity. I’ll see you all in the dust in just 6 short months…YAY!!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: God Bless BURGINS!!

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 pm

in the past, before my re-education camp, at this point, i would have asked to see your tits.

i am so glad i am over that, and have moved on.
Frida Be You & Me

RosieTahoe

Post by RosieTahoe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 pm

I was wondering if the thread would get snarky immediately or after a time...immediately it is! :lol:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Your story hasn't got a damn thing to do with you scoring tickets because someone was a "burgin". It's just about using extra ghost buyers to get tickets.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

RosieTahoe

Post by RosieTahoe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:39 pm

How are they ghost buyers when every one of them is a camp mate and we weren't going to buy a single ticket over what we needed?

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm

I got my tickets because I deserved them. The end.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Popeye
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:56 pm

No one here is negative towards virgins. We, or at least I, am bothered about the lazy or entitled who post asking a question that a simple google would have answered. Or the newcomers who think they should be able to reorganize the event. To their benefit of course.
Some of the most valued E Playans are the ones who got snarked on when they first arrived, rolled with it, and stayed to help others.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:59 pm

No snark intended, it's just that getting the tickets didn't have anything to do with anyone's "burgin" (I hate that word) status.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Ulisse wrote:No one here is negative towards virgins. We, or at least I, am bothered about the lazy or entitled who post asking a question that a simple google would have answered. Or the newcomers who think they should be able to reorganize the event. To their benefit of course.
Some of the most valued E Playans are the ones who got snarked on when they first arrived, rolled with it, and stayed to help others.

Yep
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:43 pm

This board was incredibly helpful to me my first year. I never once felt like the posters on here wanted to expel me. They encouraged, advised and welcomed me. The information provided, the encouragement and the love made me feel welcome and that this impossible dream was attainable.

Where the hell did this burgin crap come from? Virgin is bad enough, but burgin is beyond yuck. Can we all agree to not ever use that term ever again.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

DangerMouse
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm

tamarakay wrote:This board was incredibly helpful to me my first year. I never once felt like the posters on here wanted to expel me. They encouraged, advised and welcomed me. The information provided, the encouragement and the love made me feel welcome and that this impossible dream was attainable.

Where the hell did this burgin crap come from? Virgin is bad enough, but burgin is beyond yuck. Can we all agree to not ever use that term ever again.
This board was basically instrumental in making sure my first burn (2004) was awesome. Now I'm just reading through the newer bits to see what has changed as far as shade structure designs and options. Recommended brands for generators yadda.

It's honestly intimidating enough being a virgin burner, it's even more intimidating when you're going for your first time with folk who also haven't been there before. And yet even more intimidating if you're a massive introvert.

The term Virgin typically has a stigma attached to it. (For whatever reason.) Burgin just feels, even more stigmatic. Especially when you see self-important folk ranting on the various forums and facebook etc about how they've been going 10-15-20 years and these damn new people are taking their tickets etc.

Can't we just treat everyone as burners instead of trying to constantly espouse burn-cred? Or does that simply show how burnier than thou I am not? :mrgreen:
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm glad you and your campmates were able to get tickets and good job to your Burgins for paying attention and getting it right so all of you could plan from here on ticket stress free.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:33 pm

God Bless BURGINS!!!!!!!!!!!
ya know, once, even I was a newcomer.
Take that as you will.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Certain virgins have had a great reception here, particularly the thorough readers. Foxfur and BigDane come immediately to mind. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 pm

I was dusty, before Simon got here.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:37 am

I prefer "Burngin" so take that! Hahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

I agree, your camp worked as a team effort camp and there was NO "ghost" buying going on. Sheesh! Get 'er done and that is that!

Welcome back home, Rosie and da gang. ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:56 am

larry popped my cherry.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to Politics & Philosophy, since that's a better fit.

I'll also add that I disagree with your statement that ePlaya has shown so much negativity toward Burning Man virgins. Sure, while some users may take that stance, the community and the site as a whole absolutely does not. This board is made up entirely of burners who were first timers to the event at least once, and the majority of new users we see in any given year are new to the event. Many of which are not only able to take advantage of the awesome information found on its pages to help plan for their own amazing experiences, but stick around and become not only seasoned veterans of the event, but seasoned ePlayans too.

Most people whose posts are met with snark and sarcasm on this site are getting it not because they're first-timers, but because of some radical self-reliance failure. It's the same basic stuff that people see in most online communities, when a newcomer charges in and doesn't bother to do even the most basic reading or researching on their own. Rather than ramble on that subject, I'll point you back to the article on snark and sarcasm, I think Eric's post sums things up well.

As for my own personal view, new people are wonderful for any group. Yes, it's a shame when everybody who wants to come to the event isn't able to, but that doesn't mean that anybody should be shunning new blood. Fresh faces and perspectives also help to shake things up, and also help counter the jaded mentality that some experience after doing the same thing with the same group of people again and again. In my first year I camped with some seasoned veterans who took some pride in always bringing in at least a couple new people. It gave them an opportunity to help them do things right, avoid a few mistakes, and get the most out of the event... and as the recipient of their gifts of support and wisdom (and a couple swift kicks in the ass when it was needed), I had an amazing burn. I've always had the same 'pay it forward' approach, and found not only that giving a gift can be its own reward, but that I love hearing their experiences through the week. I also love seeing the lasting impact it makes in their lives.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:40 pm

I got an awesome welcome last year. An ePlayan helped me get a ticket when I missed out in the sale.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 pm

I preferentially hire virgins for Poop Patrol.
Virgins, like Trilo pointed out, make a grizzled burner see the event with fresh eyes. It's too easy to just get into a rut year after year.
This place isn't all love, peace and cupcakes. We will tell you to pay attention and where exactly to put your opinion.
So pay attention, play nice, check your assumptions at the Gate, read up, use the search box and keep your laser rifle handy.
Pew pew!

RosieTahoe

Post by RosieTahoe » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:13 pm

The eplaya community actually gave me a very warm reception when I made my first post here and gave me great advice that I still am utilizing. Really I didn't mean to single out eplaya negativity (I'm a New Yorker originally snark is kind of in my blood) but the post was more in response to the sentiment all over the internet that you should get preferential treatment regarding tickets if you have burned for x number of years, or that burning man first timers (you guys like that terminology better? ! :lol: ) are somehow ruining burningman.

With that being said there are just some fucking clueless people out there first timers or otherwise that come on these boards and either ask questions that could be answered with the slightest bit if research or ask for things (most commonly tickets) in a way that feels shity. And I'm with you guys. .. it's obnoxious.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I credit the ample use of snarcasm on ePlaya for the success of my first year, so very recently in 2012. It's the fastest way to imprint what does and doesn't make sense, as well as a head start on that self-reliance business.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

warning...warning...warning...straight forward post.

all snarcasm (thats a great word maladroit) aside, and in all seriousness, i for one, love the "Newcomers", the newbs, the burgins, burngins, suckers, etc etc etc.

they do allow you to experience the "wonder" again, like Toys at Christmas.

when you are very young, that first christmas is Magic, pure, unadulterated, magic.

then as you get older, you realize, that maybe just maybe, this whole thing might be some kind of show, put on for your benefit.

then you find out it is a show, but you still play along, even participate for the benefit of your younger siblings.

later it becomes ritual, and soon after, you find yourself Putting On the Show...

and you adore the looks on their faces as they open the presents, and the process starts over again.
Frida Be You & Me

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Who are you and what did you do with Simon?

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 pm

the meds are working REALLY well.
Frida Be You & Me

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:the meds are working REALLY well.
Better living through chemistry.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I know...and he said "Magic" I think I'm gonna faint. Oi!

Rosie, there's no need to suck up to anyone here nor "on playa". IMHO, just be yourself, m'kay? Have a gooood day and an even better BIG BURN!
robbidobbs wrote:Who are you and what did you do with Simon?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 pm

I appreciate the concern but not the sentiment of the OP. But this is the Internet of semi strangers and ePlaya is less snarky than most.

And we love burgins, because we can sacrifice them to the Burning Man! Which is another way of saying is that we value their excitement before they become jaded.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:31 pm

moonrise wrote:I know...and he said "Magic" I think I'm gonna faint. Oi! ]
Next he'll be dreading his hair and dabbing patchouli.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

your negative vibrations and unhealthy chakras will not intrude on my bliss and open toed shoes, try as you might.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Philosophical Center”