God Bless BURGINS!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Re: God Bless BURGINS!!

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Whew! You're coming down. I was getting worried.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm

It just means that somewhere in the world, a victim lies twitching from the unholy tidal wave of snark that Simon unleashed...so destroyed is this person/place/thing, that Simon was temporarily depleted of snark reserves.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Then it's a good thing that it's back home in the Simon vessel where it can be retained safely.
We wouldn't want something like that out running around, invading little league games and striking up conversations at bus stops.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 pm

i've also started to write and illustrate a series of children's books.

i'm collaborating with buffy sainte marie.
Frida Be You & Me

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 pm

I'm in chakra!!!!!!!! Of course, they can't stop 'us"...and btw when are you going to release Liz Estrada? Oh, fuck it, she's been "done" before.

Taps finger on desk...we're waiting :lol: (all nine of us) "oh, sorry did I just step on your toe?" sign me up for THAT book...release date set yet for iKindletunes?

Dear SOP, no need to come down, we'd rather come up (with you)!

Love, Robbi, maladroit and moonie (hahahahaaaaaaa...)

Simon of the Playa wrote:i've also started to write and illustrate a series of children's books.

i'm collaborating with buffy sainte marie.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:50 am

:shock:

Roy333
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Roy333 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:32 am

Ulisse wrote: I, am bothered about the lazy or entitled who post asking a question that a simple google would have answered.
So if someone has never been to Burning Man they shouldn't be allowed to post a question unless they read the WHOLE board first? What is wrong with answering a question you know the answer to that someone else doesn't know? I have run into this elitist attitude on other boards I belong to. People seem to think if they have answered a question before that everyone should have read it and they end up spending more time complaining about the "newbees' than they would have if they answered the question in the first place.
If you don't like the questions a birgin asks, just ignore it, but you don't have to complain because no one made you read a question that a simple google would have answered.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am

Roy333 wrote:
Ulisse wrote: I, am bothered about the lazy or entitled who post asking a question that a simple google would have answered.
So if someone has never been to Burning Man they shouldn't be allowed to post a question unless they read the WHOLE board first? What is wrong with answering a question you know the answer to that someone else doesn't know? I have run into this elitist attitude on other boards I belong to. People seem to think if they have answered a question before that everyone should have read it and they end up spending more time complaining about the "newbees' than they would have if they answered the question in the first place.
If you don't like the questions a birgin asks, just ignore it, but you don't have to complain because no one made you read a question that a simple google would have answered.
Boards are communities, not help desks. None of us are paid to answer questions here. And truthfully, most questions get answered first (often with a link to a relevant thread) before the snark happens.

The real annoyance comes not from some of the more specific or obscure questions that have been discussed (How should I shade my Kodiak Canvas Tent?) But rather people who pop on and ask basics like, When can I buy tickets? How long does it take to drive from Reno to Burning Man, etc. Things that you should be able to answer yourself. For an event that demands individual competence and a community that prizes self-reliance it demonstrates a lack of both things.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ed Banks

Post by Ed Banks » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:15 am

Roy333 wrote:a question that a simple google would have answered.
It demonstrates that you have not fully exhausted the resources that have been provided. In turn, making you look lazy and entitled.

Radical self reliance.

Give em hell I say.

Roy333

Post by Roy333 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:46 am

Many people do answer the simple questions for someone. And others may think it’s not worth the bother, so they ignore it. That’s ok with me too. I also see many questions that I know can be easily found elsewhere without waiting days for someone to answer you on a board, and I just pass them by. Also if I have questions like that I do research it for myself. I love solving my own questions.
My problem is people that not only won’t answer the basic question, but take minutes of their "precious lifetime" to belittle the person that asks the question.
Either answer the question or don’t, but don’t call people names because they asked. That's just going out of your way to be rude.

Plus, I’m sure people that don’t want to find the distance from Reno, or how to get tickets on their own won’t put out the effort to go anyway.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 am

Roy333 wrote:That's just going out of your way to be rude.
You're new to Burning Man / ePlaya, arent you?

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Roy333 wrote:Many people do answer the simple questions for someone. And others may think it’s not worth the bother, so they ignore it. That’s ok with me too. I also see many questions that I know can be easily found elsewhere without waiting days for someone to answer you on a board, and I just pass them by. Also if I have questions like that I do research it for myself. I love solving my own questions.
My problem is people that not only won’t answer the basic question, but take minutes of their "precious lifetime" to belittle the person that asks the question.
Either answer the question or don’t, but don’t call people names because they asked. That's just going out of your way to be rude.

Plus, I’m sure people that don’t want to find the distance from Reno, or how to get tickets on their own won’t put out the effort to go anyway.
A simple googling would have shown you that you're in the minority on ePlaya.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:42 pm

digital wrote:
Roy333 wrote:That's just going out of your way to be rude.
You're new to Burning Man / ePlaya, arent you?
Truly. The set ups just keep coming. So much fun.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:57 pm

That gets to be a sort of chicken and egg game... the person who posts something snarky or sarcastic that makes a lazy poster feel bad, or the person (who may or may not be the lazy poster) who takes even more time to post something snarky or sarcastic with the intention of making the earlier snarky poster feel bad. It's all a little silly, with each successive round usually being a greater waste of time.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:51 pm

This is page two, don't make me tell you exactly what I feel about you determining what is and isn't a waste of MY time. Sir.

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Last year was my Burgin year. I had been planning to go for four years... so I had lurked eplaya a lot. Decided it wasn't for me several times. Absorbed the information, and ignored the negativity.
We put on a hell of a first burn. Fed over 1,000 tamales. Nearly a 1,000 ice pops. Disco shower. Contributed to Elliot's camp.
All along, the eplayans were telling me to scale back - do less - see more - and it wasn't a mistake for me to ignore all that well meant advice.
We ROCKED!!!

The enthusiasm is what makes a Burgin. :)
I expect to be a born again Burgin again next year.
Let GOOD win!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Roy333 wrote:
Allowed? This is an open forum you are allowed to put any silly or intelligent thing you want to on here. And so is everyone else :)
The WHOLE board? No one ever suggested that. There are two easy ways to search Eplaya- add eplaya to your search terms or use the Elaya search engine.
What is wrong with answering a question you know the answer to that someone else doesn't know? Nothing, but many get tired of answering or reading the same question over and over. When you do this you come across as lazy, entitled or stupid.
I have run into this elitist attitude on other boards I belong to. So, our attitude is pretty common huh?

Are you a troll?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:20 am

It's very common for long-time participants of ANY activity to be less patient with newcomers to the field. There are exceptions, of course...but generally, the more experienced will want to keep moving forward building upon the knowledge they earned as a base. Trying to help someone too far away from your experience level is painful. Therefore you typically see newcomers being far more eager to help those slightly newer than themselves. Oldsters are happy to help each other on the finer technical aspects of a problem rather than teaching someone the absolute basics.

Maybe an appropriate example...a rally racer would likely be happy to help get a stock car racer up to spec in the field of rally racing. There is a base level of common understanding that can be more easily translated. However, there would probably be a lot less excitement to train someone who walked in on their 16th birthday with a learner's permit.

Or perhaps if you wrote software, you would enjoy helping your coworker solve a tricky algorithm, but the thought of providing technical support to your uncle causes instant shooting pains behind your eyes.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 am

What The HELL?! Sunbeam56, it was your first year? Your camp did rock. You had a freezer full of ice, giant water tank, delicious bacon tamales and a great shade with chairs and conversations for all. I've been going for a few years and I couldn't pull that off. I bow to you madame. Great job. God bless you.

Oh and good luck with your ticket search. It would be great to share this with your kids.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Ratty - I love you, and yeah, it was my first year.
But I have been camping a lot, and we used those skills to make it happen.
Elliot was a great resource.
And our enthusiasm overcame all obstacles - that is what Burgins DO :) ;)

We were a group of five. Grey Coyote, Sadie, Kowtow, and Chuck... and we hung together, shared vision, and shared resources... and it all worked out.
They say the Playa provides, I say the Play Burgins Provide... :)

You gotta come see us in 2015... any luck on tix yet?
Let GOOD win!

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Sunbeam56 - May the BM gods bring you to the same neighborhood.
I dream of those dang bacon tamales all the time! Finding you on that rainy day was the highlight of last year.
Thank you, for feeding our crew! You were one kick-ass Burgin!
D

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:16 am

as a satanist, i take deep offense to this whole thread.
Frida Be You & Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:as a satanist, i take deep offense to this whole thread.
:lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:54 pm

:twisted:

ignium
Burning Since: 2015

Post by ignium » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 pm

As a soon to be 'first time burner", I am offended by the commodification of the internet by the verb "to Google".

I mean, slapping a large coorporation all over the eplaya is a little disturbing, no?

I don't google my soul for peace or enlightenment.

Just saying/snarking.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Hotbox your soul then. I mean HotBot.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:35 am

Sergey cuts me a check every month.

Now sit down, shut up, and let daddy make the cheddar.
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 pm

(Months later...)

I hate the term burgin as well. First-timer, newby, neophyte, greenfoot, tiro...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 pm

"god bless" is more than a little irritating, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:08 am

Yes agreeing with fishy here, the term "Burgin" ugh, "god bless". Double ugh.

On second thought give "burgin" a double ugh too
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Philosophical Center”