BLM Needs VIP treatment as well.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: BLM Needs VIP treatment as well.

Post by maladroit » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:34 pm

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Maladroit: I haven't laughed that hard in ages. That was simply EPIC! Thank you for that!!! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Now THAT was funny! :D

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:31 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Maladroit: I haven't laughed that hard in ages. That was simply EPIC! Thank you for that!!! :mrgreen:
I haven't watched a decent one of those in ages! Excellent! :twisted:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:35 pm

You lost me at "This whole episode is contrived and the subject matter was posted here on eplaya for one reason only: to try to channel the new-found rage (ala CommodityCamps) to accomplish a BMORG agenda."

After reading that, it devalued almost everything else you had to say.

The only other comment I have is to ask you if it were not possible, probable even, that the figure posited by Larry was a negotiating number?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:41 pm

maladroit wrote:Image
OMG This is brilliant.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Since mostly management will be using these upscale facilities, I don't think the demands are the result of attempting to comply with contract terms of some labor organization representing the rank and file dirt BLM Rangers and Agents.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 pm

All this talk about these ChocoTacos, I'm heading to the store.

I'm pretty sure it's a different configuration of a DrumStick, but now I have to find out...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Jackass wrote:All this talk about these ChocoTacos, I'm heading to the store.

I'm pretty sure it's a different configuration of a DrumStick, but now I have to find out...

I have been thinking this for like 2 day straight now!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Elderberry wrote:You lost me at "This whole episode is contrived and the subject matter was posted here on eplaya for one reason only: to try to channel the new-found rage (ala CommodityCamps) to accomplish a BMORG agenda."

After reading that, it devalued almost everything else you had to say.

The only other comment I have is to ask you if it were not possible, probable even, that the figure posited by Larry was a negotiating number?

yes i agree...GreyCoyote's Long Winded Diatribes are like a broken record, and smack of someone with an agenda.

much like someone else i ignore.
Frida Be You & Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:37 am

Jackass wrote:All this talk about these ChocoTacos, I'm heading to the store.

They're pretty good, but I'd rather have an It's-It or snickers ice cream...

I believe I got the original, I'm sure they've got some other tricked out favors.
Last edited by Jackass on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:56 am

feelthelove.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
feelthelove.jpg

Who wants ice cream?...I DO! I DO!

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 am

behold the glory!

"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:36 am

there may be some government spec. accommodations still available in New Orleans area.
FEMA trailers. Perfect for govt. officials.
After all the govt. bought them for the people, ought to be good enough for govt. officials
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 am

GreyCoyote wrote:
Honestly, if this costs Larry & Co another million, then fine. Fuck it. Our event has already been commodified by the very people who were supposed to be protecting it.
But it won't. It will cost us another million (us being folks who regularly go to Burning Man). No, they can't/won't raise ticket prices or institute a special fee this year, but it's not like shortfalls magically go away from year to year. I have no idea if they have the money sitting around, but I doubt they have a million (or let's say half a million if we assume the BMORG is overestimating) sitting around unallocated. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but I doubt any of us have the information necessary to presume they do.

With $30m in annual revenue it won't be difficult for them to take out a loan for that covers that amount, but just because it's not covered by this year's ticket price doesn't mean that shortfall won't get covered out of next year's. That means nothing to the bucket listers who will never return, but I presume that virtually everybody who participates regularly on eplaya is an annual Burner or intends to be when/where possible. (And remember that we're going to be impacted by the 9% Nevada festival tax (or whatever they're calling it) starting next year too.)

And yeah, maybe the $15 that it'd cost each of us isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but the idea that we're paying extra so that some senior government officials and/or agent Dan Love can make a day trip to the playa more easily than from Gerlach (because Gerlach is just too far away for these guys) is galling.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:18 am

Three years ago, I purchased a BRAND SPANKING NEW surplus FEMA Katrina trailer from a re-seller to place at a hunting camp.

It had a double bed and two bunk beds, refrigerator/freezer, hot water, shower, toilet, stove/oven, 2 propane bottles, and a group 27 battery ---- $4,000. That is a lot-lot less expensive than what BLM is asking for.

However, it did not have a fresh water tank and did not have black & grey water holding tanks. These trailers were designed to be placed on lots that had public utilities available on the site.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:02 am

DrYes wrote:...And yeah, maybe the $15 that it'd cost each of us isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but the idea that we're paying extra so that some senior government officials and/or agent Dan Love can make a day trip to the playa more easily than from Gerlach (because Gerlach is just too far away for these guys) is galling.
As long as this does not effect the quality of DJs on the playa I do not see it as a problem.... Ooops, wrong thread, now where was that Plug and Play quisling thread again?

I just love how the people who do not have a conscience bothering them know exactly that it is them who should have a conscience bothering them.

Thank god we have people on the board who can talk to these elitist choco-taco grubbing air-conditioned spoiled entitlement brats as complete equals. (which might be the problem).

"Regardless of how you feel about" Larry, Plug and Plays, the BLM, etc. these are all related I say. (I just wanted to see how it felt to demand that everyone's perception of things must conform to mine.)

Ps. those commodity camps and hotels set up with help by the Bmorg contributed to ticket sales and the cost of the event for regular burners rising and none of you gave a shit about that. Now it's all concern that the price might rise because Larry says. Man, talk about chickens coming home to roost.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 am

Lonesomebri wrote: Ps. those commodity camps and hotels set up with help by the Bmorg contributed to ticket sales and the cost of the event for regular burners rising and none of you gave a shit about that. Now it's all concern that the price might rise because Larry says. Man, talk about chickens coming home to roost.
Not sure this is entirely accurate.
JK

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 pm

tamarakay wrote:What! No hookers and blow? Amateurs.
This is BLM. Your thinking Secret Service. Now they know how to party!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
DrYes wrote:...And yeah, maybe the $15 that it'd cost each of us isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but the idea that we're paying extra so that some senior government officials and/or agent Dan Love can make a day trip to the playa more easily than from Gerlach (because Gerlach is just too far away for these guys) is galling.
As long as this does not effect the quality of DJs on the playa I do not see it as a problem.... Ooops, wrong thread, now where was that Plug and Play quisling thread again?

I just love how the people who do not have a conscience bothering them know exactly that it is them who should have a conscience bothering them.

Thank god we have people on the board who can talk to these elitist choco-taco grubbing air-conditioned spoiled entitlement brats as complete equals. (which might be the problem).

"Regardless of how you feel about" Larry, Plug and Plays, the BLM, etc. these are all related I say. (I just wanted to see how it felt to demand that everyone's perception of things must conform to mine.)

Ps. those commodity camps and hotels set up with help by the Bmorg contributed to ticket sales and the cost of the event for regular burners rising and none of you gave a shit about that. Now it's all concern that the price might rise because Larry says. Man, talk about chickens coming home to roost.

No, the BLM's requests and plug n' plays are not related. You're letting that giant chip on your shoulder do your thinking for you.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
image.jpg
Parboiled Hippies? That can't be good.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

If BLM succeeds in ramming this through, it will be an on-going cost for every burn in the future, and will probably grow in cost incrementally each year. I guess the Blue Pit will be set up somewhere in the closure area outside the trash fence that is off limits to burners who wish to go picket the joint or engage in other shenanigans.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:42 pm

The_Sheik wrote:If BLM succeeds in ramming this through, it will be an on-going cost for every burn in the future, and will probably grow in cost incrementally each year. I guess the Blue Pit will be set up somewhere in the closure area outside the trash fence that is off limits to burners who wish to go picket the joint or engage in other shenanigans.
It's already an ever-increasing cost too. Last year's fees paid to the BLM were almost 5x what 2011's were, despite only a 23% increase in population between those years. That alone seems fairly out of line to me, but then asking for another $1m (or half a million or $1.2m or whatever the real cost of those requests would be) literally 3 months before the event is nuts. If it was a million (and I have no idea what the real cost would be), that would make the fees paid to the BLM 5.8x what they were in 2011, a mere 4 years ago. No reason to expect special agent in charge Dan Love or his equivalent to stop there if he gets the luxury compound for himself he wants this year (he, of course, is one of the people slotted to stay there....not the rank and file BLM.)

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm

I almost wouldn't give a crap about this if it were the officers that are patrolling the playa (ostensibly) to protect us who would benefit. Trailers with showers and flush toilets, fine. Yes. they are luxuries, but they are working.

The fact that it's a place for the BLM brass to bring high ranking visitors, no. Just no. If they want to show senator Douchy McDouchebag how they are generating revenue from a wasteland, give him a flyover at taxpayer's expense.

...Oh, wait... That's still me...
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:39 pm

Simple test: If you can't justify the expenses enough to use taxpayer money, then they probably aren't necessary.

AliCat903
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Asparagus Forest

Post by AliCat903 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 pm

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... an-demands

""I am concerned about the reported costs associated with supporting the Burning Man festival. I have directed that BLM staff take a fresh look at the initial proposals for food and facilities at the event,” Ellis said in a statement."

Wonder what's being said behind the scenes...

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Looks to me like someone might be getting their ass handed to them on a plate. :shock:

I don't think they ever thought this would actually make news and that the could pull this off under the table. Harry Reid is no light weight, btw. Especially when it comes to anything Nevada.
JK

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:48 pm

BLM has a nice new station on the Gerlach dump road.. There is a rest stop public toilet also..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:01 am

chuckularone wrote:I almost wouldn't give a crap about this if it were the officers that are patrolling the playa (ostensibly) to protect us who would benefit. Trailers with showers and flush toilets, fine. Yes. they are luxuries, but they are working.

The fact that it's a place for the BLM brass to bring high ranking visitors, no. Just no. If they want to show senator Douchy McDouchebag how they are generating revenue from a wasteland, give him a flyover at taxpayer's expense.

...Oh, wait... That's still me...
My feeling as well. That they are making a point of saying this isn't for the working officers is very, very telling. If VIP's need to come in to observe, it would be cheaper to fly them in in the morning and out at night.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Return to “Philosophical Center”