BLM Needs VIP treatment as well.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
FIGJAM

Re: BLM Needs VIP treatment as well.

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:38 pm

When I first went in 2010, it was 50,000, so it hasn't "almost doubled" in size.

But the BLM cost has quintupled.

All those medical stats?

Aren't most med tent visits for dehydration and rebar mishaps?

Pickin at nits me thinks.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Jackass wrote:It's got a good ring to it! ChocoDebaco it is then...
How about ChocoDebaco is the hip slang version, but if you want to make a production of, it's The Great Choco Taco Debacle.

Maybe Special Ranger Love, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BLM

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:57 pm

It's always been about the ice cream. Always. Just follow the dollars...

They couldn't just have the choco or the taco by themselves, they went ahead and wanted both together. Seems they want their cake and eat it too.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Have you ever seen a BLM ranger drink a glass of water?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:44 pm

tamarakay wrote:
DrYes wrote:Victory? Hopefully!

Director of the BLM, Neil Kornze: "Our revised proposal will include only what is essential for our core operational needs for providing appropriate health, safety, and environmental safeguards on the playa. That is our commitment."

http://www.rgj.com/story/opinion/voices ... /29867403/
I don't know if this is reassuring or not. They said the original request was essential when it was made. I haven't read the article yet, my free 30 articles is expired so I have to use my husband's computer to see it lol
This looks like they're giving themselves an "out" for at least the fees being so high:
Neil Kornze, BLM Director wrote:In March, the BLM raised twenty critical health, safety, and environmental issues with event organizers, including ensuring that on-site medical services are adequate to serve the vast population of Black Rock City. To date, Black Rock City LLC has only acknowledged seven of these important issues and has provided adequate plans and updates for just two.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 pm

It's written to sound like BLM is actually providing any services whatsoever besides writing tickets.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:51 pm

In 2013, Pershing County Sheriff got their panties in a bunch over the money they wanted and didn't get. That pissed them off and they got real aggressive that year.

BLM panty status: Very bunched up and sandy.

I now wonder if the BLM is going to "teach us a lesson" this year.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:04 pm

How about a shitload of people in cow costumes pretending to graze on the playa dust?

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Here is a rest area for them , with wfi even.

Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Jackass wrote:It's always been about the ice cream. Always. Just follow the dollars...

They couldn't just have the choco or the taco by themselves, they went ahead and wanted both together. Seems they want their cake and eat it too.
Last year it was Popsicles...
This year the Choco Taco....

Looking forward to the emergence of the Ice Cream Cake outrage of 2016.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Now they want BR rangers to turn snitch and report suspected illegal activity to LEO?

I don't think they are trained for that.

13,545 EAs does seem like a lot though.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:56 pm

TT120 wrote:
BLM panty status: Very bunched up and sandy.
Hahaha. I laughed out loud.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:42 pm

The BLM has known about these conditions for years and still increased the pop cap to 70,000, so it seems they contributed a lot to the current situation. :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 am

I so want to say something here, but I don't want anyone reading to jam up the BMORG. Let's just say, the upper echelon of this particular BLM unit definitely has a reputation, and its not too hard to find it out by asking around and filing a few FOIA requests.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:23 pm

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2015/07/2 ... /30766167/

"With only a month before Burning Man, the BLM official usually tasked with overseeing the event's permitting process has been reassigned temporarily.

Winnemucca District Manager Gene Seidlitz began a 120-day assignment as acting deputy state director for minerals in the BLM's Nevada state office in Reno on Monday.

Robert Towne, a 40-year veteran of the BLM, started as the acting Winnemucca District manager. He retired recently and since has been living in Spokane, Wash."

"All of us in the state office appreciate Gene's willingness to support the minerals program," said Acting Nevada State Director John Ruhs. "His experience will be a valuable asset as we continue to search for a permanent deputy state director. We also look forward to having Robert Towne's leadership and expertise in Winnemucca in the meantime."
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Wow!

"During Seidlitz's temporary reassignment, he will supervise the solid and fluid minerals program for the BLM throughout the state of Nevada."

Somehow that has the sound of comic irony.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Bless

Post by Bless » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 am

Looks like someone got the smackdown. Thanks, Harry!
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

SageV

Post by SageV » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:31 pm

some seeing eye wrote: "With only a month before Burning Man, the BLM official usually tasked with overseeing the event's permitting process has been reassigned temporarily."
Hee, as we like to say up in the frozen north, it's not the boat a man drives, it's what he leaves in his wake.
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:10 pm

FIGJAM wrote:When I first went in 2010, it was 50,000, so it hasn't "almost doubled" in size.

But the BLM cost has quintupled.

All those medical stats?

Aren't most med tent visits for dehydration and rebar mishaps?
Yes, they are. Typically more than half the contacts with ESD are for blisters and lacerations. I couldn't find the 2014 stats in the AfterBurn report, but most of the other AfterBurn Reports do have the stats. This is from 2013.
Approximately 62% (n~2300) of the patients treated by ESD involved minor complaints and injuries. Common patient categories included lacerations (15.04% of total patients), wound rechecks (12.68%), orthopedic injuries (7.72%), dehydration (4.62%), and soft tissue injuries (13.08%). Other medical care categories included rash (2.44%), minor burns (2.9%), eye complaints (4.5%), throat complaints (2.44%) and extremity pain (2.39%). All other chief complaint categories were below 2%. The numbers for alcohol- and drug-related patients continue to be low for an event of this size. In 2013 we experienced a 0.18% increase in incidence substance-related patient contacts (to 0.88%), and a 0.35% increase in the number of alcohol-related patients (to 1.35%). These numbers do not necessarily represent drug and/or alcohol overdoses, only patients for whom drugs or alcohol were the primary reason for seeking medical care.
I've noticed the latter statistic usually translates to fewer than 100 people who seek treatment specifically for drug or alcohol related health issues.

So, yeah--the streets aren't exactly paved with fallen drug-users. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

SageV

Post by SageV » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Savannah wrote: I've noticed the latter statistic usually translates to fewer than 100 people who seek treatment specifically for drug or alcohol related health issues.

So, yeah--the streets aren't exactly paved with fallen drug-users. :)
For all the fine law enforcement help that 100 people supposedly require, compare it to the permitting requirements of the Electric Daisy Carnival and what their relative injury and death rate is. It's amazing what a raw deal we get year-in and year-out.
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Mind you, I don't know what the citation rate is (it's probably ALSO in the AfterBurn report) and I would personally see a difference between people merely in possession vs. intoxicated persons creating a nuisance or a problem. But if I remember correctly, the actual arrest rate is shockingly small. One year in recent past--I believe it was eight people.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for that Savanah!

I would like to see deeper reporting in the Afterburn as in the old days and a more detailed medical breakdown. The BLM in their 20 issues report called out drug use straining medical resources - let's see the numbers, broken down by reported drug. Something in the back of my mind says 6000 in 2014 recorded playa medical contacts, probably some are followups, so using 2013 statistics as a guide, medical cases for drugs ~50 and for alcohol ~80. Thus the BLM calling out GHB increased reports would need some evidence.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:39 pm

Did you ever notice one simple fact? Of all the LEO agencies whose jurisdiction extends over the event, the one that DOESN'T have a lot of burners reporting problems from? The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribal Police. Keep our shenanegans off their land, they're fine with us. AND, we do contribute shitloads of commerce to the tribe. THEY deserve a big shot of money just for being nice.

With Washoe County showing up again, I hear the chant of "Reno 9-1-1" might start up again.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:05 pm

Savannah wrote:Mind you, I don't know what the citation rate is (it's probably ALSO in the AfterBurn report) and I would personally see a difference between people merely in possession vs. intoxicated persons creating a nuisance or a problem. But if I remember correctly, the actual arrest rate is shockingly small. One year in recent past--I believe it was eight people.
Oh, they are not there to arrest us for damn sure. Where's the closest jail? I'd be surprised to learn of one in Gerlach, and driving criminals to Reno is the exact opposite of making money off of them. $500 is easily extorted from most burners. Ka-ching.

As far as the drugged out hippies laying in the streets? That's what ESD and Zendo is for.

I say we dispense with the charades of public safety and the BLM should just set-up a toll-booth right after the gate and charge each burner a $500 BLM usage fee (ie: revenue collection) as they pass. No more paranoia of if or when we'll get busted, just get it over with on the way in.

As a bonus all the BLM Rangers now have the entire event to spend looking at boobies instead of looking for doobies. It's a win-win!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 pm

"Boobies instead of Doobies".

That was a nice belly-laugh right there. Well played, Sir! :D
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

caffeineslinger

Post by caffeineslinger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:32 pm

If I prepay my citation can I get it at a discounted rate, like careflight insurance? And if I don't use it they keep it anyways.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:20 pm

caffeineslinger wrote:If I prepay my citation can I get it at a discounted rate, like careflight insurance? And if I don't use it they keep it anyways.
If you get a citation contact Lawyers for Burners. They negotiate a lower charge and fine for most tickets. If you can't show up to court they will do that for you for a small fee (it was $600 the year I was cited). I drove to Reno and went to court myself.

I would imagine that if every burner got a ticket, we could negotiate a lot lower than $500. But what would be the fun in that? The dogs wouldn't have to come. No flashing lights and adrenaline rushes.
In dust we trust.

caffeineslinger

Post by caffeineslinger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 pm

danibel wrote: If you get a citation contact Lawyers for Burners. They negotiate a lower charge and fine for most tickets. If you can't show up to court they will do that for you for a small fee (it was $600 the year I was cited). I drove to Reno and went to court myself.
Honestly I don't think I do anything that would put me in this situation, but this is a very good reminder for me and everybody else, regardless of how experienced out there you are. We as a group have some great resources.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 am

Savannah wrote: Typically more than half the contacts with ESD are for blisters and lacerations. I couldn't find the 2014 stats in the AfterBurn report, but most of the other AfterBurn Reports do have the stats. This is from 2013.

Approximately 62% (n~2300) of the patients treated by ESD involved minor complaints and injuries. Common patient categories included lacerations (15.04% of total patients), wound rechecks (12.68%),
I was one of those laceration stats
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 pm

I just want to know if these are the same BLM Rangers who leave service-issue guns in their cars when they park them in San Francisco, and then they get stolen...
Or is that only the ones from Pennsylvania?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Philosophical Center”