Concept BRC City Plans for 100,000

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Concept BRC City Plans for 100,000

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:45 pm

For 2016 BMORG will ask to raise the population cap. A lot of what is going on with the BLM and BMORG now is dogs sniffing one anothers' private parts to figure out how that works. The vehicle passes, opening times, early entry, Burner Express, airport and traffic management is a big part, as well as all the BLM 20 principles fixit points.

Another burner made some concept plans for a big city dubbed the biohazard plan on the now inactive Remote Controlled Vampire Cat blog: http://jmpalmier.blogspot.com/2012/02/b ... -2015.html.

Discuss.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Concept BRC City Plans for 100,000

Post by Bless » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:10 pm

I don't see any advantage to this conceptual design over the current one. You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:11 pm

I have seen that before and all of can say is the stallion would be lost as a goose. Not sure he would ever find camp again.

Plus, 100,000 people getting off playa on that road. Makes me kinda sick to my stomach.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DEATHtonic

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:15 pm

That looks way too fucking complicated. For me anyways, I can barely find my way around in BRC as it stands. :roll:

Although now I kind of wish there was some way I could turn myself into a vampire.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm

I didn't care for the idea back then, and still don't.

Expanding on that, while working on this year's art project I spent a ridiculous amount of time thinking about the future of Black Rock City (that's on top of the years of musing about it in general, as well as countless conversations with people involved with the city's design.

I actually think that the current crescent design that Rod came up with holds up at much larger populations. It scales ridiculously well, by simply expanding the radius (distance from man to Esplanade), and adjusting the distance between and number of streets. If they added many more radial (alphabet) streets then I'd suggest additional plazas, which is exactly what the existing design calls for. I also like the way they did that Boulevard G expansion a while back, and think they could do another boulevard as they expanded it.

I like the other core elements of Rod's design a lot... it's gathered around a single center, yet is not a fully enclosed ring. You could think of it as "open to possibilities" or like some kind of port city, with that big open area for exploration and adventure.

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:51 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote: Although now I kind of wish there was some way I could turn myself into a vampire.

It's your lucky day!
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:04 pm

that open design facilitates ems response as well.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Hope-a-Lope
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Initially I'm intrigued by a new layout. Challenge! Adventure! More than one big open space!

But imagine when people start stealing street signs.....

Also, agreed that entry/exit is still the biggest problem when it comes to population increase.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 pm

That design is aesthetically pleasing, but the multi open playa thing would take away from the shared and central experience of one playa, with the Man at the center. Still, it's interesting.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:54 pm

tamarakay wrote:Plus, 100,000 people getting off playa on that road. Makes me kinda sick to my stomach.
Agreed! Leave the cap at 70,000 forever. In time people will lose interest trying to get a ticket, event popularity will die, and life will return to normal. Am I a dreamer?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:10 pm

yes, but you're not the only one. :D
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Perhaps someday you'll join us and the world will live as 100,001.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: DEATHtonic

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Bless wrote:You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well, looks like the geniuses in charge decided it needs fixing anyways, and they're asking our help for once..

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:10 pm

It's not the org that's asking for a new city design.

It's just some participants.

The clock doesn't appear to be in an danger of being replaced.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:22 am

That design, in my mind, "doesn't get it." What better shape to choose to symbolize exclusion than one that separates the city into three major neighborhoods that face away from the center of the city? There are also all these little back-side corners in the city. Do these become little township parks that one has to wander through the 'burbs to visit?

The only real reason there would need to be a redesign is in order to reduce the amount of distance from the outer arcs to the open playa. The current design scales fine, but as the city grows, people in the outskirts have a long distance to travel to the central playa, and eventually the city will be larger than the open playa area itself (including deep). What does this biohazard design do? It multiplies the problem, requiring everyone to journey long distances to see different parts of the city -- unless they're camped in the downtown thoroughfare sections of the cities.

That biohazard shape is also more optimized for perimeter, rather than area -- the latter of which is the real goal. It's entirely ironic that the biohazard design is supposed to enable BRC to scale, but the shapes of the arcs actually prevent scaling because they intersect each other at their back sides. There's no way to incrementally scale that design without resizing every feature, which increases distances at all points. I highly doubt that proposed design even accommodates the existing BRC population. All it does is provide more open playa -- which isn't going to help things!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Melonblue » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:33 am

Well looks like Open Call for designs has been launched?

http://www.archdaily.com/771869/open-ca ... e=facebook

and http://brcmup.org/ Black Rock City Street Plan Design Competition

Who wants to draw?! (busts out pencils!)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 am

It's a little misleading at first - the site gives you the initial impression that Burning Man is involved and this is some kind of official competition to help design the city, when it's not. Reading down the page a bit, it's a completely separate group of long-time burners. They do plan on submitting the 'winning' plan to Burning Man, but I'm guessing that would be an unsolicited submission, the same kind anyone could submit at any time. They also suggest that the winning submission could be implemented as soon as the 2017 season, but they also disclaim that as being at Burning Man's discretion... reading between the lines I'm seeing that as they'll send in the unsolicited plans, and Burning Man will use or not use any or all of it as they see fit (also the same as anybody else's unsolicited plans). They do say that they'll display the winning design on the playa, so there's that.

I've never been a big fan of beauty or popularity contests, regardless of the prizes involved.

I say that if you think you have a compelling idea or city plan, or even just a way to improve some part of the city, you don't need to goof around with the competition. Post event you can use the feedback@ address, otherwise you'd just write up your proposal or plan and send it to playainfo@ and it would be routed to the appropriate people for review and consideration.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 am

This is the best of ePlaya. Within 24h a post of a competition involving the BM city layout on ePlaya, its true details are authoritatively placed. And great to ePlayans for turning up the city plan competition! Best of open source culture.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I hope they remember to print it on single ply.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:10 pm

Rod's (may he RIP) beloved city plan is well designed, playa tested, and intended to scale up efficiently.

I'd guess that there are NO plans, at the administrative/decision making level, to change the current layout.

(maybe it's just hoping, cuz I'm sooo directionally challenged.)

Really, why fix what ain't broke?

although it is an interesting design challenge for those inclined to ponder.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 pm

trilobyte wrote:It's a little misleading at first - the site gives you the initial impression that Burning Man is involved and this is some kind of official competition to help design the city, when it's not. ...
Glad to know. I thought the org had really flipped out this time.

Most people navigate the design rather well, especially emergency services.
Canoe wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:For god's sake, learn how a fricken clock face works, heaven have mercy on your soul if you have to ask how to get from 6 fucking pm to 7 fucking pm while fleeing the beast with a thousand megaphones.
New 100,000 BRC Playa Layout -> Same hour-roads, but Digital!
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Philosophical Center”